The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

+16
monty junior
lorus59
Jennifer1984
bretmeharty
EnglishReign
The Special Juan
Crimey
Leff
Postie
whocares
dancingweeman
JamesLincs
azania
GSC
mystiroakey
Duty281
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Spain v France (Saturday 23rd June, 19:45 KO, ITV 1)

The holders Spain topped Group C with 7 points with two victories over Croatia and Ireland and a draw against Italy. Once again, Spain have kept a tight defence and have conceded the lowest amount of goals in the tournament so far and have also scored the most. Their reward is a game against the French who have been quite inconsistent - a decent display against England saw them get a 1-1 draw, they then stepped it up for Ukraine and beat them 2-0 before being brought down to earth by losing 2-0 to Sweden. For the neutral, this is probably the best tie of the round. Winners will play Czech Republic/Portugal.

My prediction: Spain 1-1 France AET (France to win on pens)

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by GG Sun 24 Jun 2012, 1:48 pm

Pass and move > Hoofball.

GG

Back to top Go down

Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Spain v France, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

Not really the point GG.

Spain play a possession strangling game. This is not a Greece or Ireland v Spain debate. Spain turn down attacks time and time again. And it doesn't create a brilliant spectacle for me

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 1:57 pm

Mysti, I left for the US 20 years ago at age 14. In the 90s, TV coverage for football (soccer as they call it here) was scanty and internet wasn't as advanced. So, there was a gap for me. Now, Euro gets live coverage here.

Talking about surprises, I notice that you always get 'their' and 'there' mixed up.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

Yes I do..thanks for pointing it out.. however most of England's knock out wins were in the word cup.. I am sure you get coverage of that.. I am not having a go at you. But as soon as you mentioned England hadn't won a knock out match I thought you would be American or someone else. And that's why I asked you.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:09 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
I am also surprised that you enjoy the Spanish style so much yet also love the penetrating styles of Brazil and Portugal..

I enjoy precise and delicate passes as well the penetrating style of the older Brazilian teams. The traditional Italian style is not appealing to me with the ball staying in the middle until the 88th minute when an Italian player puts himself in a position for a rival team player to be red-carded. Too much emphasis on making sure the opponent does not score. Having said that, this team has shown a more positive attitude.

I think if there is global survey, more people would find Spain's style of football enjoyable than not.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

I can't agree at all. I think most are in awe. But there games are regrettably forgettable.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:14 pm

You see you mention that an Italian team puts to much emphasis on other teams not scoring. That is what Spain is doing today.. or can't you see that...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

their Smile

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:16 pm

mystiroakey wrote:You see you mention that an Italian team puts to much emphasis on other teams not scoring. That is what Spain is doing today.. or can't you see that...

Yesterday, after they led 1-0, but not always.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

Leff wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:You see you mention that an Italian team puts to much emphasis on other teams not scoring. That is what Spain is doing today.. or can't you see that...

Yesterday, after they led 1-0, but not always.

And throughout the entire World Cup knockout stage.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm

Let's hope Portugal score goals.. then we may see the Spanish players using there skill to attack rather than keep ball.. that would be a game to remember

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I can't agree at all. I think most are in awe. But there games are regrettably forgettable.

If I was to name one of the best international matches I had ever seen I'd pump for Spain v Germany in the Euro 2008 final. Why? It was an absolute joy watching one team absolutely school another in such a manner. How it ended 1-0 is anyone's guess!!

Agreed that with Spain we're never going to see end to end humdingers but that's because they are SO good with a football. We'll be telling our grandchildren about this team in 40 years time.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

Best team ever. Maybe.....

However both teams can't use that approach against each other. Just like the Italians style from years ago. That is why we will always go back that attacking approach likegGermany today or Brazil of before...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:27 pm

Crimey, I immensely enjoyed the way Spain played in the final. In the last WC, I saw Holland vs Uruguay in Cape Town. I had to leave the next day on a long trip to Sweden for a business meeting. We watched the final at a bar in Stockholm. My wife is Dutch; so, I went along and put on an orange shirt. However, by half time, I was disgusted by the Dutch tactics and silently supported Spain after the break.

Yes, they do win 1-0 often, but they are not blocking the efforts of opponents with hard tackles.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:28 pm

Whats the difference between a 1-0 WIN and a 5-0 Win anyway? A win is a win the last time I looked.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:30 pm

Leff it's a system that has no longevity ..enjoy it whilst it's here..

Holland were disgusting in the last world cup final. Spain have deserved all there success..but you can't beat prem style imo .

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

FreekShow wrote:Whats the difference between a 1-0 WIN and a 5-0 Win anyway? A win is a win the last time I looked.

Goal difference
Goals scored
Goals for the paying public....(the important one)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:42 pm

Silva has been totally average for Spain, i'm interested to see what would happen should he face De Rossi, that would be a test.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

I am not, and I have said this so many times now, saying that Spain aren't good at football, they're clearly amazing, the way they play is impressive and obviously requires a lot of talent, and I can respect that.

However...

that is not the same as being entertained by it, I said before if skill and quality has to be sacrificed for entertainment, then to a realistic extent I am prepared to accept that. The way Spain play football isn't particularly entertaining, I don't see where people get the excitement from.

Perhaps we watch football for different reasons. I'd rather watch entertaining football as a neutral than the highest quality of football, where as you would rather watch high quality football. It's probably being brought up on Premier League football.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:55 pm

Spain have great players. But have a keep ball philosophy . If there just seeked out more opportunity s .at the cost of abit of possession not only could they actually be even better butaalso games would be more exiting.. same goes for barca and one of the reasons they won nothing this year imo ..

I completely agree with crimey as well..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

It's whether you like symphony or metal.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:58 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Spain have great players. But have a keep ball philosophy . If there just seeked out more opportunity s .at the cost of abit of possession not only could they actually be even better butaalso games would be more exiting.. same goes for barca and one of the reasons they won nothing this year imo ..

I completely agree with crimey as well..

Barca won the Spanish Cup Myst.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

A domestic isn't that much concellation ..but yeah I take your point

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:02 pm

Leff wrote:It's whether you like symphony or metal.

Both in equall measures

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:03 pm

You meant 'consolation'?

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Leff wrote:It's whether you like symphony or metal.

Both in equall measures

I like neither now. Blues for me.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

Don't mind at all how any team plays their football, what I don't like is how the big teams (or nations) are forcing the referees to give them decisions ALL the time, every game. Pique was at it again against France, Busquets does it all the time!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

no such thing as respect anymore in football.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Mon 25 Jun 2012, 4:26 pm

Crimey wrote:I am not, and I have said this so many times now, saying that Spain aren't good at football, they're clearly amazing, the way they play is impressive and obviously requires a lot of talent, and I can respect that.

However...

that is not the same as being entertained by it, I said before if skill and quality has to be sacrificed for entertainment, then to a realistic extent I am prepared to accept that. The way Spain play football isn't particularly entertaining, I don't see where people get the excitement from.

Perhaps we watch football for different reasons. I'd rather watch entertaining football as a neutral than the highest quality of football, where as you would rather watch high quality football. It's probably being brought up on Premier League football.

But who are you to say whats entertaining? That is my point. You (and many many others) prefer the speed and end to end attacking style of the premier league/Germany/Brazil........there are also people that prefer the precise passing and patient game of the Spanish....hell you'll probably find people that prefer the long ball game, and no one is wrong, it's an individual’s preference.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:09 pm

Small Time wrote:
Crimey wrote:I am not, and I have said this so many times now, saying that Spain aren't good at football, they're clearly amazing, the way they play is impressive and obviously requires a lot of talent, and I can respect that.

However...

But who are you to say whats entertaining? That is my point. You (and many many others) prefer the speed and end to end attacking style of the premier league/Germany/Brazil........there are also people that prefer the precise passing and patient game of the Spanish....hell you'll probably find people that prefer the long ball game, and no one is wrong, it's an individual’s preference.

I have said what I find entertaining. I hate the attitude that the way Spain play football has to be enjoyed.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3