The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread

+14
lorus59
Jennifer1984
Crimey
Leff
Josiah Maiestas
GG
tunes666
drsambo1928
Ent
LivinginItaly
Postie
GSC
Duty281
The Special Juan
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread Empty Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread

Post by The Special Juan Fri 29 Jun - 18:23

Spain v Italy? Who will triumph? They met in the group and drew 1-1, with Pirlo making Xavi and Iniesta redundant at times.

I say Spain to win 1-0 playing with no striker!!

Tune into Sky Sports News after the final for reaction to England's quarter final loss to Italy.

"Klinsmann: Spain win over Italy would make them team of century"

Yes, I'd say they have been the best team of the past 12 years.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread Empty Re: Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 29 Jun - 19:54

Italy 2-0, they need to arrange a match-fixing scandal before every tournament!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread Empty Re: Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun - 20:00

I'm leaning towards Italy as well, 1-0.

But if Spain do win this tournament then even their knockers will have to pay homage to one of the greatest teams to ever play the game. Three consecutive major competition wins will probably never be repeated.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 29 Jun - 20:09

If Italy win, I win 19 quid for betting on them pre tournament.

Might stick a few quid on Spain to cover though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun - 20:22

Let it ride Graeme! Spain are around 1/2 to win by any means so it aint really worth it buddy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Fri 29 Jun - 23:40

Spain are close to evens with the bookies at 6/5, with Italy at 11/4.
But yes Freekshow is right on the eventual winner, as they have Spain at 8/15 on.

I still think Spain need to play with a forward though.

Last edited by Postie on Fri 29 Jun - 23:55; edited 1 time in total

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun - 23:47

Postie wrote:Spain are close to evens with the bookies at 6/5, with Italy at 11/4.
But yes Freekshow is right on the eventual winner, as they have Spain at 8/15 on.

I still think Spain need to play a forward though....

Italy scream out value to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Sat 30 Jun - 0:02

At near 3/1, I would agree.

Am actually a bit surprised at the odds, as I think it will be a pretty close game, with the odd goal deciding it.Although personally I still think Spain will shade it.

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sat 30 Jun - 8:37

I hope that Italy win, but I think it all depends on the side that spain send out. They really look to be missing a proper forward (David Villa, or a fit in form Torres). For me playing Fabregas or another midfielder up front is ood for possession, but they lack a cutting edge. If they start with Torres they will win, otherwise Italy will win.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 30 Jun - 19:25

Spain will suffocate the game and win- again.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 30 Jun - 19:28

Could go either way. I think Italy's tough resolve will see them through, aswell as that, they have got the best result off Spain in this years tornument.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 1 Jul - 12:38

As an Italy fan I may have a blinkered view, but for me, other than the Thrashing of Ireland Spain have not looked great and Italy arguably were better than them in the first game and have since become stronger.

So I am confident Italy can do it. However, Spain have looked so tight at the back and tactical they can always nick it.

I think Portugal should have gone through but Spain were solid and done what was needed.. I don't think I can cope with another shoot out so if we loose I hope we simply get beaten by the better team and thats thats, I don't want no "what ifs" and "its a cruel game" stuff at the end.

I will go for a heart inspired 2-1 to Italy after extra time.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 1 Jul - 12:47

I think Pirlo is key in this match. He's outplayed the Spanish midfield once but Spain will actually do something to combat this unlike Germany + England. If they don't he will pull them apart. For me, Di Natale has to start although I do appreciate Cassano and Balotelli work well together; however Cassano doesn't do much.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sun 1 Jul - 12:57

I'm thinking 0-0 at full time with Di Natale to grab a goal in ET.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 1 Jul - 12:59

On Sportsguru (not just the 606v2 group) the predictions have gone like this:

49.86% say Spain
50.14% say Italy

It is VERY close.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 1 Jul - 13:19

Spain are unentertaining , play almost every game this tournament without a striker, football is meant to be entertaining and they don't provide it. How long until every country are playing 4-6-0 formation?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 1 Jul - 13:27

Scotland came up with the concept first; don't forget that!! Laugh
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 1 Jul - 13:28

And I'm 3rd in the Euro 2012 SportGuru Pool.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 1 Jul - 13:50

Spain 1-0.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 1 Jul - 13:53

TSC wrote:Scotland came up with the concept first; don't forget that!! Laugh
]
Scotlands 6 were full of cloggers though.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 1 Jul - 14:09

Spain's coach doesn't seem to have much confidence in Torres. I hope they will start with Pedro or Navas and get a goal in the first half; then, their midfield style can help them hold the score 1-0.

The battle among Pirlo, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, and Iniesta will be fascinating.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 1 Jul - 15:10

TSC wrote:I think Pirlo is key in this match. He's outplayed the Spanish midfield once but Spain will actually do something to combat this unlike Germany + England. If they don't he will pull them apart. For me, Di Natale has to start although I do appreciate Cassano and Balotelli work well together; however Cassano doesn't do much.

I think Pirlo can grab this game by the scruff of the neck, Xavi has looked off-colour in the knockout stages and with Iniesta pushed forward, Busquets offering very little, I think De Rossi can take Alonso out of the game leaving Pirlo to weave his magic. The only problem is the fact that Spain will inevitably hold possession for so long, it might be hard for Pirlo to ever really get on the ball. I can see a 0-0 then penalties.

I saw a very interesting fact today...Andrea Pirlo hasn't been on the losing side since December 2010 in a competitive match which is crazy.

I would start Balotelli and Cassano, as much as I like Di Natale that partnership is on form and crucially Cassano is more likely to drop into the midfield and help out than Di Natale is. If anybody gets dropped for Di Natale it would be Balotelli but after his game against Germany, you really can't drop him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 1 Jul - 18:29

TSC wrote:I think Pirlo is key in this match. He's outplayed the Spanish midfield once but Spain will actually do something to combat this unlike Germany + England. If they don't he will pull them apart. For me, Di Natale has to start although I do appreciate Cassano and Balotelli work well together; however Cassano doesn't do much.

Pirlo is great but if you focus on him Italy also have Di Rossi and Montolivo who are no cowboys.. I think they do not get enough credit as I think teams do try to silence Pirlo but end up giving him space as they realize there are others also pulling the strings, and I hope its the case tonight as well!

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 1 Jul - 19:00

Spain are playing 4-6-0, come on Italy!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 1 Jul - 19:09

Is anybody else confused as to all the praise coming in for Balotelli. He played well against Germany, but before that he was pretty poor. A good goal against Ireland, but he was hardly in the game against Spain and I thought fluffed his lines against England.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Sun 1 Jul - 19:29

Spain have not been brilliant in this competition, but then again, they haven't had to be. They've done enough to get to the final without losing any players to injury or suspension. They've got there in cruise control.

Italy have found their form. They've had the players who can put in the mercurial performances when needed. Pirlo and Balotelli have grabbed the headlines. The defeat of Germany was clinical.

So... we have a final worthy of what has been a superb tournament.

I'm not going to predict a winner because it is too close to call. The popular winner would be Italy but nobody would be surprised if Spain's class, teamwork and control prevailed.

Let's just hope the game is free of controversy and the wrong sort of 'incident'. Hopefully we will be entertained. Hopefully, the best team on the night, whoever that may be, wins, preferably without the lottery of penalties.

Bring it on.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Sun 1 Jul - 19:32

Jennifer1984 wrote:Spain have not been brilliant in this competition, but then again, they haven't had to be. They've done enough to get to the final without losing any players to injury or suspension. They've got there in cruise control.

Italy have found their form. They've had the players who can put in the mercurial performances when needed. Pirlo and Balotelli have grabbed the headlines. The defeat of Germany was clinical.

So... we have a final worthy of what has been a superb tournament.

I'm not going to predict a winner because it is too close to call. The popular winner would be Italy but nobody would be surprised if Spain's class, teamwork and control prevailed.

Let's just hope the game is free of controversy and the wrong sort of 'incident'. Hopefully we will be entertained. Hopefully the best team on the night, whoever that may be, wins..... and preferably without the lottery of penalties.

Bring it on.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 1 Jul - 19:39

Spain: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta.
Subs: Valdes, Albiol, Javi Martinez, Juanfran, Pedro, Torres, Negredo, Mata, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas, Reina.

Italy: Buffon, Abate, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Pirlo, Marchisio, Montolivo, De Rossi, Balotelli, Cassano.
Subs: Sirigu, Maggio, Ogbonna, Thiago Motta, Balzaretti, Di Natale, Giaccherini, Borini, Giovinco, Diamanti, Nocerino, De Sanctis.

Spain continues its strategy of starting without proper forwards.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 1 Jul - 20:06

Why couldn't Spain play like this for the rest of the tournament.

Fast, penetrative, attacking. Too often they just sat back and passed the ball without any real direction to it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 1 Jul - 20:07

Lovely cross from Fabregas to Silva to goal.Spain 1-0 clap

Fabregas, Xavi, and Iniesta have looked quite dangerous so far. That Xavi kick minutes prior to the goal barely missed the top bar. Spain on the attack and it's about time they showed that aspect of their game.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 1 Jul - 20:28

Brilliant football, again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 1 Jul - 20:31

Is that pass by Xavi to Alba the pass of the decade or what? And, a beautiful finish by Alba too.

Spectacular football by Spain. Yahoo

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 1 Jul - 20:31

Spain saving their best till last and playing like Champions. The final is over, 2-0 in 40 minutes. Enjoy the trophy Spain.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sun 1 Jul - 20:32

But of course spain play boring football Shocked

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 1 Jul - 20:35

The way Italy lined up suited Spain so far
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Sun 1 Jul - 20:36

Half time 2-0 to Spain and we're being treated to a masterclass.

The Spaniards are showing us all how it's done. The curmudgeons can call it boring, but if this is dull, I'd take it if only England could do it.

The Italian manager is going to have to come up with something special if his players are to turn this around in the second half.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sun 1 Jul - 20:48

So Spain is boring? I hope we see lots more of this "boring" football. I would loved to be bored to death by this.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 1 Jul - 20:48

Last time Spain had the lead and lost was in 2006, that was 61 matches ago to NIR!

Italy will try its best to be aggressive in the second half. With aggression come defensive mistakes. So, 3-1 is a possibility.

We are watching one of the greatest performances ever. Let's enjoy the Spanish magic.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 1 Jul - 20:57

LivinginItaly wrote:But of course spain play boring football Shocked

lorus59 wrote:So Spain is boring? I hope we see lots more of this "boring" football. I would loved to be bored to death by this.

These two comments confuse me.

Spain have not played anything like this at any other point in the tournament bar possibly Ireland who were easily cut through. This is obviously not boring, the way they played at the World Cup and throughout the rest of this tournament has been.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sun 1 Jul - 21:04

crimey I wasn't saying that they hadn't played boring football before, I was saying that I am shocked by how they are playing tonight, as they have actually been much more attacking. Maybe they have been stung by the criticism they have received with the "boring" tag.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 1 Jul - 21:08

LivinginItaly wrote:crimey I wasn't saying that they hadn't played boring football before, I was saying that I am shocked by how they are playing tonight, as they have actually been much more attacking. Maybe they have been stung by the criticism they have received with the "boring" tag.

Sorry, there's just a lot of people on the BBC live feed criticising those who say Spain play boring football because of this game...the logic doesn't follow. I do think they've been pushed on by the criticisms.

Really unfortunate for Italy, I just can't see there being anyway back for them now with ten men. Balotelli to get sent off soon?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sun 1 Jul - 21:12

no worries mate, I also can see Balotelli seeing red soon as he appears frustrated at times.

The frustrating thing about spain is that they are capable of being so entertaining when they play with more attacking intent like tonight.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 1 Jul - 21:21

I think Wenger was right when he said that Spain have warped their style into a negative way in which they keep the ball so as to not concede rather than to score.

I think that Iniesta looks a better player with Spain, almost as if he's let off his leash. He has a lot more flair with Spain than he does with Barcelona, less restrictions.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 1 Jul - 21:26

Italy looked a big dangerous for about ten minutes or so after Di Natali walked in. Other than that brief period, it's been Spain all the way. Total domination.

European team of the century? Possibly. Maybe probably.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 1 Jul - 21:30

Spain 3-0. The other team must feel bad when even Torres has scored.

Last time a team won 3-0 in a Euro final was West Germany over USSR in 1972.

We are watching a historical moment.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 1 Jul - 21:33

Three of the four goals scored by players plying their trade in England. Something for the Premier League nuthuggers to cling on to I suppose!

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 1 Jul - 21:36

10 of the starting 11 will play for Madrid/Barca next season.

Sums up La Liga tbh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 1 Jul - 21:38

4-0, just a few minutes of walk about for Mata to have the opportunity.

I don't this even a die-hard Spanish fan would have predicted this.

Biggest rout ever in a Euro final. clap

Last edited by Leff on Sun 1 Jul - 23:58; edited 1 time in total

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 1 Jul - 21:38

Okay it's 4-0. Shame for Italy but the just weren't in Spain's class whether they had 10 or 11 men.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sun 1 Jul - 21:38

Well, that was dull.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next