The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread

+13
tunes666
The Special Juan
mystiroakey
Jennifer1984
GSC
Thomond
azania
President Trump
Crimey
JamesLincs
super_realist
Duty281
Leff
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread Empty Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread

Post by Leff Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:02 am

Past records for these two teams:
All encounters - Italy 14 wins, Germany 7 wins, Drawn 9; Goals - Italy 45, Germany 34.
Competitive encounters (WCs and Euros) - Germany drew 4, lost 3 including that heartbreaking one in Dortmund I watched from the stands.

Turn the pages...

We have a new-look German team full of confidence and versatile players. Forget that experiment in the last match. Gomez, Podolski and Mueller are expected to start. Schweinsteiger is said to be fit (did nothing notable vs Greece).

Pirlo is unlikely to find as much space as he did against England to run his midfield drama. Ozil can run his own fast-paced show.

BBC pundits are all predicting 2-0 win for Germany, disregarding past history.

We have seen back-to-back matches decided by penalty kicks. Let's see some goals here.

I am going with the pundits - Germany 2-0.

Your thoughts and predictions?

Leff

Back to top Go down

Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread Empty Re: Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:13 am

Italy 1-0.

Back to top Go down

Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread Empty Re: Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:27 am

Italy 2-1.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 am

Surprised you didn't say England Duty. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:57 am

lol i wanna see someone come on and say "i want germany to beat them 85-0 Sad"

1-0 to the germans i think

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:21 am

I think Germany will win, but it will be a close game. It will be a real midfield battle.

Khedira vs. De Rossi
Schweinsteiger vs. Pirlo

That's where the game will be won and lost and I think Germany will win, they're too strong and fast for Italy.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:25 am

2-1 to Ze Germans

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:47 am

Italy aren't that good. Its just that England made them look better. In fact England could make Albania appear a polished team.

Having said that,Italy seem to have the ingian sign over Germany and have beaten them on penalties. But tradition has to be broken sometime and Germany to win comfortably. Too much class across the field.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:50 am

azania wrote:Italy aren't that good. Its just that England made them look better. In fact England could make Albania appear a polished team.

Having said that,Italy seem to have the ingian sign over Germany and have beaten them on penalties. But tradition has to be broken sometime and Germany to win comfortably. Too much class across the field.

Italy coped very well with Spain in the first group game. I think they're underrated as a team.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:53 am

Ireland made Italy look bad for large periods of their game. Keith Andrews was on top of Pirlo. They're not that good. Germany will win 2-1

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 pm

2006 World Cup semifinal, Dortmund - Italy 2, Germany 0 (first international match Germany lost in Dortmund), goal action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4lKT1Z_xGc

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Germany: Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Kroos, Ozil, Podolski, Gomez. Subs: Wiese, Gundogan, Schmelzer, Howedes, Schurrle, Klose, Mueller, Bender, Mertesacker, Gotze, Reus, Zieler.

Italy: Buffon, Balzaretti, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Pirlo, Marchisio, Montolivo, De Rossi, Balotelli, Cassano. Subs: Sirigu, Ogbonna, Thiago Motta, Abate, Di Natale, Giaccherini, Borini, Giovinco, Diamanti, Nocerino, De Sanctis.

Referee: Stephane Lannoy (France)

Balotelli's starting.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Seems an odd decision to start Kroos. I thought Reus played well against the Greeks, so I'd have continued with him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Going for a 1-0 win for Germany, via Mario Gomez
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Boom Balotelli heads Italy in front
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:40 pm

The respect or should I say lack of it shown towards the Italians coming into this game makes this current scoreline all the more pleasing. Listening to the commentators you would think the team in blue are beating the greatest side ever assembled and we are witnessing the biggest shock in the history of the sport!

Thus far this German team has done very little in the grand scheme of things so perhaps a dose of reality is what's needed. I hope Italy see this out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 pm

2 - 0 Italy at half time.

Some say that 2 - 0 is a dangerous lead. Many teams have thought they had the match in the bag and sat back, allowing the opposition to come at them with disastrous consequences.

I always say that when a team goes 2-0 up, they have to make sure they score the next goal.

The Germans have the mental toughness to come back into this game, but it won't be easy. Italy are no mugs and when the Force is with them, they can be simply bloody unplayable.

I have no idea how this game will pan out over the next 45 minutes but if anybody can claw this deficit back, Germany can.

It won't be easy, though.

Last edited by Jennifer1984 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 pm

I still think this is a shock, Germany have looked pretty invulnerable so far. Even against Greece they always looked in control. Their defence has been a shambles, Gomez is off form up front, perhaps a mistake to drop him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Not too sure Podolski will slip into Arsenal's brand of football looking at some of his touches tonight.

I can see Italy get another goal.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Italy playing like men- germaany boys.

well done italia.. foraza italy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Shoulda killed it right there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 pm

At least it makes England's result looks good.

I think it was a mistake to make changes for changes sake. Gomez, despite starting the tournament in amazing form, looked poor today and I wouldn't be surprised if it was being left out of the Greek game that led to it. Kroos has been awful.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 pm

are germany the new england!!

all i have heard from there supporters is that they are gonna win no question lol- cant belive i was also sucked into the hype- this team isnt that great , not a patch on spain- A rematch between italy and spain is gonna be sweet. italy have balls and a nice style. pirlo and balatell= my fav players this tourny

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:30 pm

The Italians have given a real masterclass in tackling tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 pm

I'll admit Myst I tipped them to win it at the get-go but you may be right. Perhaps they are another hype job.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:32 pm

mystiroakey wrote:are germany the new england!!

all i have heard from there supporters is that they are gonna win no question lol- cant belive i was also sucked into the hype- this team isnt that great , not a patch on spain- A rematch between italy and spain is gonna be sweet. italy have balls and a nice style. pirlo and balatell= my fav players this tourny

Don't jump the gun. The Germany team is obviously fantastic, one game doesn't change that. Apart from this game they've been the best team of the tournament. They'll also still be at their peak at the World Cup.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 pm

One things for sure freak- Italy have proved what an amzing cup team they are !

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Crimey wrote:

Don't jump the gun. The Germany team is obviously fantastic, one game doesn't change that. Apart from this game they've been the best team of the tournament. They'll also still be at their peak at the World Cup.

nope itlay and spain have been Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread 732107. Nothing fanatastic about this side at all

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm

It seems I was really really wrong then.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm

penalty

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:36 pm

I imagine it'll be Pirlo's last international tournament and he's making sure it's a good one.

I said that he was the best player from the very first round of games and he has kept it up. It'll be interesting to see if he can outclass Xavi again in the final. I thought Moutinho outclassed Xavi to be fair in the semi-final.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:37 pm

soft one though-- italy had about 5 chances to kill the game before that- is it all over................

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 pm

mystiroakey wrote:One things for sure freak- Italy have proved what an amzing cup team they are !

I tipped them to shade this but I never expected them to open up the German defence like a tin of beans and with such ease at that. Ballotelli was pretty awesome in both his attacking play and his defensive duties.

There is no middle of the road with Italy. They either enter the latter stages of tournaments or completely bomb!

Well done Italy. clap clap clap clap

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 pm

well done italy, good game from then

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:42 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Crimey wrote:

nope itlay and spain have been Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread 732107. Nothing fanatastic about this side at all

Can't agree at all. Germany had the hardest group and ended with 9 points. Italy didn't look great against Ireland or Croatia. Spain struggled to beat Portugal in the semi-final, and Croatia in the quarter final. You're just jumping the gun.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Not jumping the gun at all- all i have heard is that they were fonna beat all comers- there were outclassed big time. not jumping anything. Germany are just hype at the moment

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:44 pm

I've said all along Germany are overrated and there's the evidence. Well done Italy, think they'll beat Spain on Sunday. Just something else to think about:

Italy drew with England after 120 minutes
Italy beat Germany after 90 minutes

So England are better than Germany.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:45 pm

While Germany may be overrated, particularly in England, I do think people are reacting to this one result and jumping to conclusions. They were poor in one match, but for the rest of the tournament looked invulnerable.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
Crimey wrote:

Can't agree at all. Germany had the hardest group and ended with 9 points. Italy didn't look great against Ireland or Croatia. Spain struggled to beat Portugal in the semi-final, and Croatia in the quarter final. You're just jumping the gun.

On paper it was yes but in reality they beat the worst Dutch team in recent memory, Denmark are no great shakes and they were hardly convincing against Portugal.

Are they another of these sides that are "going to peak in two years time", ala England of a few years back?

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Such a shame. Especially given Lahm's recent comments

They looked invulnerable vs a Portugal team that didn't attack, a Dutch team that was poor, and Denmark and Greece.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 pm

not in england crimey- In germany.. There have been going nuts on the win this time

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
Crimey wrote:

On paper it was yes but in reality they beat the worst Dutch team in recent memory, Denmark are no great shakes and they were hardly convincing against Portugal.

Are they another of these sides that are "going to peak in two years time", ala England of a few years back?

Agree fully with Freekshow, and add in a poorish performance against Greece considering the opposition.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:50 pm

I expected more from the Germans in that second half but Italy were in control at all times. The Germans huffed and puffed but Italy disrupted their rhythm and stopped them building pressure. They couldn't impose themselves on the Italians

So, well played Italy. If Italy win the competition without penalties, England will be able to say they were the only team Italy didn't beat in the tournament.

Scant consolation, but it's something.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Duty281 wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
Crimey wrote:

Agree fully with Freekshow, and add in a poorish performance against Greece considering the opposition.

I would have thought that their minimum requirement was a final berth so ultimately it's a failure.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:09 pm

I am gonna be honest and my england hopes have risen slightly after that..

It was pirlo and balotelli that made us look rubbish- they did the same to germany. I knind of wish they did scorfe an early one against england in a way- because the only time england have played half decent recently is from behind..

anyway germany looked flat as a pancake in fairness- when we think of germany we think penetration, that was about as penetrating as a blank bullet. so i am not sure whats gonna happen in the final- but i think most would back a 1-1 or a 0-0

Gonna go back pre tourny though and think about balotteli.

He said he would walk if he was targeted with racist abuse. He actually was and he had a bannana thrown at him. He has had a pop at them racists in the best possible way- scored two v germany(iroinc that the racist problems in poland and ukraine are partly due to germans history as well!!, many of the neo nazis in those countrys are also big germany fans)

So its a win for italy
A win for bolatteli
A lose for the racists

and a minor moral victory for england Germany vs Italy, semi-final, build up and match thread 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Football won today and will win again on Sunday. I am extremely thankful to Italy for making football the winner in their match with England.

Playing for a draw for 120 minutes is never a moral victory. When your GK has more touches than any outfield player and when the most frequent passing is between the goalkeeper and a centre forward 50 yeard away it speaks volumes.

FIFA should bar England from playing until they learn how to respect the ball and not to assault it at every given opportunity.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:04 am

az you said italy were rubbish earlier on- make up your mind will ya

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:18 am

mystiroakey wrote:az you said italy were rubbish earlier on- make up your mind will ya

They proved me very wrong. I didn't say they were rubbish though. I reserve that criticism for the nations of these fair isles. All rubbish bar none.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:27 am

azania wrote:Italy aren't that good. Its just that England made them look better. In fact England could make Albania appear a polished team.

Italy dont look good? lol

That must be how they started in one of the hardest groups, drew with Spain in a game they should have arguably won, out played England for 100 mins, out played a good German side and beat them... and made it to the final.

And for the record England also did not look bad in this competition. Just to defensive and with too much off the ball tactics... But very hard to beat and very dangerous on the brake and set pieces..

Germany were decent but who did they actually play that was any good?, Holland were urine poor, Denmark were average and Greece very average... the only good team they played was Portugal who started pretty slow..

For me the two best teams made it the final.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:59 am

I was in the board room all afternoon and just finished watching video recording. I thought Germany had an off-day.

Cassano was surrounded by three German defenders and yet he managed to scoop the ball comfortably to Balotelli so precisely for the header. Normally reliable Lahm was off-colour today.

Germany must feel fully deflated not managing a win over Italy in 8 tournament games.

I can't wait for the final. Italy has the momentum. But, Spain may be reserving its best for the final.

On a side note, I see Duty281 made the perfect prediction. clap

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next