The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

+38
jbeadlesbigrighthand
nasisillmatic
Hoggy_Bear
sportform
lorus59
dummy_half
88Chris05
liverbnz
super_realist
Geordie
Steffan
Jennifer1984
Soldier_Of_Fortune
monty junior
GG
eirebilly
mobilemaster8
Zander
Kay Fabe
CFCNick
Leff
The Special Juan
Mr H
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
EnglishReign
VTR
Mad for Chelsea
Postie
LivinginItaly
Liam
Good Golly I'm Olly
Crimey
GSC
Josiah Maiestas
JamesLincs
azania
mystiroakey
Duty281
42 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread Empty England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

England v Italy (Sunday 24th June, 19:45 KO, BBC 1)

On the back of good defence, England have notched up 2 wins and a draw, confounding the majority of expectations along the way. The unexpected bonus of topping Group D has given them a game against Italy, not Spain, and England have a glorious chance of reaching their first semi-final in 16 years. Italy haven't really started yet and their sole win was against a poor Ireland team but they did manage an impressive draw against the Spanish. The winners will play Germany.......or maybe Greece.

My prediction: England 1-0 Italy

Come on England!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread Empty Re: England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 5:14 pm

2-0 eo England.

Anyway I am not sure what Italy's tactics are gonna be v England- but I have this odd image of the ball being on the centre line with england camped in there half and italy camped in theres- like table football were neither can hit the ball - lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread Empty Re: England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:26 pm

3-1 Italy. Super Mario to run amok.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:29 pm

we gotta keep that dude in check.. crazy man, but nice random player..terry should have em in his pocket mind. But we never know rooney could just butcher them as well!! fingers crossed. Gotta believe even if we are the underdoggies

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:29 pm

0-0

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:30 pm

0-0 all the way to penalties and then it's a toss up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:31 pm

Bacon buttie vs Spaghetti and meatballs.

3-1 England

Walcott x2
Carroll
--------
Di Natale for Italy, assisted by Milner
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:35 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Bacon buttie vs Spaghetti and meatballs.

3-1 England

Walcott x2
Carroll
--------
Di Natale for Italy, assisted by Milner

Implying Milner will touch the ball
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

mystiroakey wrote:we gotta keep that dude in check.. crazy man, but nice random player..terry should have em in his pocket mind. But we never know rooney could just butcher them as well!! fingers crossed. Gotta believe even if we are the underdoggies

Terry is good at the rough and ready stuff. Play him against quick movement and he'll flounder.

I have no affiliation with any team in the Euros so I want the team who play the best football to win. That is Italy.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:50 pm

FA just been fined £5,000 euros for England fans' attempted pitch invasion.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:53 pm

odd fine,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:54 pm

azania wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:we gotta keep that dude in check.. crazy man, but nice random player..terry should have em in his pocket mind. But we never know rooney could just butcher them as well!! fingers crossed. Gotta believe even if we are the underdoggies

Terry is good at the rough and ready stuff. Play him against quick movement and he'll flounder.

I have no affiliation with any team in the Euros so I want the team who play the best football to win. That is Italy.

Balotelli isn't particularly fast to be honest, he probably could be if he wanted to be, but I don't think he's really that pacy.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:10 pm

Apparently De Rossi is excited to face Steven Gerrard because he is his idol because Gerrard can attack and defend and he wish he could play more like him.

High praise indeed. I have been surprised by the number of players and others involved with football who have bigged Gerrard up. I thought after the relatively poor season he had, Gerrard would have struggled to perform but he's been arguably England's best player. I think he knows it's his last shot of glory.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:17 pm

De Rossi is a heck of a lot better player than Gerrard though, maybe its just respecting his elders or false praise? Italians are trying to make them feel secure, oldest trick in the manual. Don't fall for it though, England players need to remind themselves they are underdogs!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

Dont think hes been better this tourny.

Will probably see both teams cancel each other out, neither really wants to open up and play, and a distinct lack of pace all around. Reliant on a moment of genius from Rooney or Balotelli I suspect

0-0
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:40 pm

Pace of players is irrelevant in this matter I believe. Its speed of passing and moving. English players always look to play in the "channels" with the ball usually wide in the wings. More hit n hope. Other nations play the ball all over the park and are comfortable with it on the ground. They hardly rely on sky-balls. That is where movement and speed of thought and pass comes into play. Inspiration not perspiration.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:42 pm

you and your silly perspiration not inspiration line lol.

just because many teams try the passing about- doesnt actually mena there are that great at it. Anyway Italy are so thats all that really matters. But we can do em!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:46 pm

France are much better passers than Italy and they never really broke us down.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:47 pm

As I say though, neither team is going to really try and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Very cagey affair.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:48 pm

Italy have this thing that they always win a major tourny after a bribery scandal.

France may be quicker, but Italy always play with more caution and arguably are more clinical. When it comes to the crunch, they nearly always deliver.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:49 pm

yep its not there play that actually worries me more it is there history..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:52 pm

Half of their squad was probably there for most of that history.

Don't get me wrong its a tough game, but its certainly winnable. Italy's attack isn't that potent truth be told.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:53 pm

History has no impact on the present when it comes to football. Italy are simply better and I hope the best team wins in an exciting game.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

I really see this as a 50/50 affair. I think as an England fan anything from now on in is a bonus as we have got out of the group which is what I thought was our aim.

As the game I say 1-1 and England to win on pens Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

If we go to pens I cry
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

Are there any man for man "points out of ten" match-up data. Which of the two teams has the best individual players?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:05 pm

I think Italy missing Chellini could be a big miss for them. In my opinion he is a world class CB, so he is always going to be missed.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:05 pm

much more class from the italians in the press.

A stark comparison to the swedish voices i can tell ya!- I actually think they are half decent- but lets be honest they are cry babies..

anyway just a quick thought on hodgson- i like him England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread 732107 and i think he is alot better than capello- and i am surprised to say that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Are there any man for man "points out of ten" match-up data. Which of the two teams has the best individual players?

you could allways work it out from the individual rankings- but it could take a bit of time- i havent seen one

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:19 pm

Chiellini's replacement is Barzagli???? The last time i saw that geezer was for Wolfsburg in 09' when Michael Owen basically walked around him in the champs lge to score a hat-trick a few years back. No pace so Welbeck should start. As far as im concerned, we are slight favourites for this but it will be close. Italy are just living off the fact they drew with spain in the first game when spain were sluggish and getting used to no strikers (which still hasnt worked). Italy against croatia second half they were poor, couldnt handle modric at all. Basically when we havent got the ball, rooney has got to be up pirlo's ass all night. I think Young has to play a blinder and help support cole against maggio ( if he's recovered) cos he's a threat.

predico - england 1-1 italy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:27 pm

slight favs- what is it with you pal.. stop knocking us up to bring us down- the bookies dont even have us as favs- and in england odds are bad value on us!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:28 pm

mystiroakey wrote:slight favs- what is it with you pal.. stop knocking us up to bring us down- the bookies dont even have us as favs- and in england odds are bad value on us!!

He builds us up to make our apparant failures seem even worse.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

i think he is...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:35 pm

wow just checked the odds- at present eng win/italy win/draw are almost all spot on the same odds- I have to admit I cannot remember ever seeing a game like that before.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:40 pm

John you're having a laugh. England favourites against Italy? Not even when England had the so-called golden generation were they favourites against Italy. All you're doing it trying to big england up and when they eventually lose against Italy you will once again say "I told you so,"

Joker.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:55 pm

I'm being deadly serious. I've got it 55/45 in favour of Roy's Boys. In my opinion England have achieved nothing as of yet, everything so far has been totally expected, other than the draw vs the French. I think the squad togetherness, the leadership of Stevie G and the returning, hungry for action Rooney will be too strong for the Italians. Chiellini is a big miss and I don't rate Barzagli at all. I can even see Milner switching to the left for this game to double up on Maggio (Italy's stronger side) and let Young play on the right.

I think the introduction of pace in the form of Walcott late on could also be decisive and the fact it's in Kiev will also be psychologically important for Walcott and will give him confidence to repeat his last performance there.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:57 pm

Italy are better going forward. Simple as that. Better team and play better football.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:58 pm

Grrrr not sure what side to get on to!!

you lot are mental

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

I'm not sure they're that good going forward. Spain and Croatia aren't the greatest defensive teams, and they had problems breaking down the Irish.

I hate when people use playing better football as a reason. It really doesn't matter how you score.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Grrrr not sure what side to get on to!!

you lot are mental

Egg them on, it'll be funny
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:03 pm

Italy have scored 4 goals. England have scored 5

How are Italy better at going forward than Roy's Boys? I'm throwing stats at you. Barcelona were the better team than Chelsea but lost!

England!!!!! c'mon boy's!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

I think England got a great chance against Italy. Italy played very well against Spain however, and with Pirlo in the middle they have a genuine play maker and de rossi is a very good holding midfielder, also with an eye for a pass.

Cassano has just come back from a hefty lay off so don't expect much from him, Di Natale is a very good player and should start ahead of Balotelli but apart from that England are probably the better side on paper. They've also just lost their key defender in Chelleni.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:13 pm

ermmm you two are making me feel very nervous lol..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:41 pm

I can see Balotelli getting sent off if he plays. I think the English would target him, try to wind him and cause him to lose it, given that he has a reputation of being a bit crazy.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:44 pm

JT with a comment .. ermmmm- we could have a zidane moment .. but no us english will not be cynical

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:46 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:I can see Balotelli getting sent off if he plays. I think the English would target him, try to wind him and cause him to lose it, given that he has a reputation of being a bit crazy.

I'd give it a go. A couple of petty fouls, leaving the foot in a little late and try to get a reaction. England would be stupid not to. I still think Di Natale should start up front but after the last match I wouldn't be surprised to see Ballotelli starting.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:47 pm

Get JT to shag his gf prematch
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:54 pm

England are the most clinical team so far in this tournament and I'm backing England to win 1-0 on the back of a solid defensive effort. It will be cagey, it will be tight but I feel 1 goal will decide it and England will get that goal. Walcott in for Milner and Carroll in for Welbeck for me.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:55 pm

After Terry scores a header

'Not the first time I've scored today Mario' Wink

'Good thing I got some head practice'
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:57 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:After Terry scores a header

'Not the first time I've scored today Mario' Wink

'Good thing I got some head practice'

'Its not the first things that's been on the end of my head today' censored

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next