The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

+38
jbeadlesbigrighthand
nasisillmatic
Hoggy_Bear
sportform
lorus59
dummy_half
88Chris05
liverbnz
super_realist
Geordie
Steffan
Jennifer1984
Soldier_Of_Fortune
monty junior
GG
eirebilly
mobilemaster8
Zander
Kay Fabe
CFCNick
Leff
The Special Juan
Mr H
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
EnglishReign
VTR
Mad for Chelsea
Postie
LivinginItaly
Liam
Good Golly I'm Olly
Crimey
GSC
Josiah Maiestas
JamesLincs
azania
mystiroakey
Duty281
42 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 Empty England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

England v Italy (Sunday 24th June, 19:45 KO, BBC 1)

On the back of good defence, England have notched up 2 wins and a draw, confounding the majority of expectations along the way. The unexpected bonus of topping Group D has given them a game against Italy, not Spain, and England have a glorious chance of reaching their first semi-final in 16 years. Italy haven't really started yet and their sole win was against a poor Ireland team but they did manage an impressive draw against the Spanish. The winners will play Germany.......or maybe Greece.

My prediction: England 1-0 Italy

Come on England!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

I've got to admit one of my favourite things about these Euros is how the opinion has totally shifted in favour of Carroll. Considering the way it was mocked when he was picked for the squad, it's quite a turnaround that a lot of people want to see him in the England first XI now. Not just on this board either.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

I'd rather have all 11 players score one goal than one player score 11. It's a positive to have a scoring threat from different areas of the pitch and so far we have had that, with all 5 goals being scored by different people.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jun 2012, 1:17 pm

Crimey wrote:I've got to admit one of my favourite things about these Euros is how the opinion has totally shifted in favour of Carroll. Considering the way it was mocked when he was picked for the squad, it's quite a turnaround that a lot of people want to see him in the England first XI now. Not just on this board either.

I think Carroll it was always timing. £35M for an injured forward was something that was always going to cause a stir. The moment he came back I think everyones expectation was for him to bang goals in and he was being judged by his price tag much rather than ability. Also he isn't just the big lug up-front and against Sweden he was going for everything and he couldn't have been faulted for effort.

I think at Liverpool playing with Suarez must be difficult as he likes to come in from wide places and that kind of limits his movement and positioning.

I think at the moment he is the perfect fit for the England centre forward bill.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 1:18 pm

carrol is gonna be good- i was allways hoping for the next shearer with him. fingers crossed. but he seems to be more of a target man for england rather than that out and out clinical strong forward sheaerer was

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Jun 2012, 1:19 pm

Crimey wrote:I've got to admit one of my favourite things about these Euros is how the opinion has totally shifted in favour of Carroll. Considering the way it was mocked when he was picked for the squad, it's quite a turnaround that a lot of people want to see him in the England first XI now. Not just on this board either.

I have to admit I was bemused lets say when Holt got overseen for Carroll, but I always thought that Carroll had to come good at some point. I mean £35 million means you are a proper player, and I think he is now beginning to fulfill his potential
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jun 2012, 1:59 pm

Olly wrote:I think he is now beginning to fulfill his potential

What after one goal and losing his marker the great granqvist of helsingborg. Laugh

Back to england and this delusional belief that we've over-acheived. Nothing has been achieved as of yet and that has been confirmed by Joe Hart today. Losing to the Italians will be a big disappointment in my eyes and their is no excuse at lowing our expectations because of a few old players missing. This England squad is better than Italy's, our players are just being handcuffed in these tactics and not allowing themselves to showcase that they are better than italy.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

What happens if England vs Italy goes to penalties?
It'll go on so long that they'll have to extend the tournament I'm sure.
It'll be a veritable exhibition in bottling

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

The last time England played Italy at a major tournament was the 1990 3rd/4th playoff which gives me the excuse to link you to the worst offside call ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Umkss-UESg

I mean that is just ridiculous!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

err- so the goal was given and it was onside- whats the debate

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:30 pm

erm no it was refused for offside, probably the worst offside decision of all time. Irrelevant as it was just before FT and Italy were winning anyway, but still not sure how the linesman got away with that one Headscratch

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

oh sorry- lol

yeah bad decision- but not a material one. I think i got confussed by a couple of youtube posts

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

BTW Utube posts make me angry.. they allways go off on some V england debate

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

I'm thinking this game could very dirty because we havent really had one yet with multiple sendings off other than the poland/greece game but thats wasnt really dirty. I mean look how many players are on yellows and then you've got Balotelli stirring things up. The italians are gonna do everything in their power to gain an advantage. Keeping eleven on the pitch could be crucial especially if ET comes into play. I can see us struggling centrally if it goes 120 mins. No way Gerrard and Parker are lasting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:39 pm

John wrote:

What after one goal and losing his marker the great granqvist of helsingborg. Laugh

Back to england and this delusional belief that we've over-acheived. Nothing has been achieved as of yet and that has been confirmed by Joe Hart today. Losing to the Italians will be a big disappointment in my eyes and their is no excuse at lowing our expectations because of a few old players missing. This England squad is better than Italy's, our players are just being handcuffed in these tactics and not allowing themselves to showcase that they are better than italy.

I can't wait to see a Milner keepie uppie with Parker. That will showcase our skill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:39 pm

Italy showed they can cope with the intricate play around the box when they played Spain, so if England adopt that approach they wont do any better than what Spain did.

With Chiellini injured i'd definately start Carroll and Rooney. Carroll will cause havoc for the Italian defenders and will win his fair share of free kicks around the box. Given the quality of Gerrard's delivery of late i'd fancy our chances at set pieces.

The match itself is too close to call though.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

I wouldn't say England have over achieved. They have "achieved". Plain and simple, they got out of the group which is what pretty much everyone expected and that's it. As a neutral, just hoping for a good game v Italy and some good goals, especially from Di Natale. What a guy.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

John wrote:

I don't see the handcuffed by the tactics arguement. We are playing the tactics that suit this set of players. These guys are never going to be able to pass it round like Spain, but what we do have is a true English spirit and determination, and are playing within our skill set
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

No I agree we are playing to our strengths and roy's preferred tactic and against poor opposition who fail to take their chances it has worked. I'm just saying it works upto a point. If we fall behind against Italy or better opposition we need to be able to be more creative and dangerous offensively without losing that defensive stability. There's no denying that Young is being handcuffed and is being frustrated and having to be so defensively minded and that's why people are saying 'he been poor' recently because he cant express himself.

Last edited by John on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

John so we have fallen behind and we changed tactics which paid of almost instantly- whats your point again?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

John wrote:No I agree we are playing to our strengths and roy's preferred tactic and against poor opposition who fail to take their chances it has worked. I'm just saying it works upto a point. If we fall behind against Italy or better opposition we need to be able to be more creative and dangerous offensively without losing that defensive stability. There's no denying that Young is being handcuffed and is being frustrated and having to be so defensively minded and that's why people are saying 'he been poor' recently because he cant express himself.

While I would agree that Young has been 'handcuffed' a little bit, I still think when he has had the opportunity to take on the right back, or find the killer ball he has been very underwhelming.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jun 2012, 6:06 pm

John wrote:No I agree we are playing to our strengths and roy's preferred tactic and against poor opposition who fail to take their chances it has worked. I'm just saying it works upto a point. If we fall behind against Italy or better opposition we need to be able to be more creative and dangerous offensively without losing that defensive stability. There's no denying that Young is being handcuffed and is being frustrated and having to be so defensively minded and that's why people are saying 'he been poor' recently because he cant express himself.

The main issue I have with Young isn't the fact that he's failed to do anything of note attacking but that he isn't defending! He just sits ahead of the halfway line and it leaves Cole so isolated.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

That's why I'm thinking he may swap Milner and Young so that Milner is doubling up with Cole on Maggio because the right hand side of italy is far more threatening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:26 am

After watching the German game, am not sure it would be in Englands interest to win v Italy.

Can I change my prediction to a closely fought win to Italy ? Whistle

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:51 am

Postie wrote:After watching the German game, am not sure it would be in Englands interest to win v Italy.

Germany played a truly awful team who sat back in the hope of seeing out a 0-0 draw. England will beat Italy and WILL put up a much, much, much better showing than the Greeks did tonight, who were quite frankly embarrassing.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:42 am

Postie wrote:After watching the German game, am not sure it would be in Englands interest to win v Italy.

Can I change my prediction to a closely fought win to Italy ? England v Italy, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 590675

England are by far the better side than greece, when we play better sides we normally play much more football anyway- germany do not posses the same technical skill as france,spain or even italy-they play with movement with one touch passing and good organisation with alot of one twos(kind of very similar to the way england play at there best)- we cant get to far ahead of ourselves anyway- lets concentrate on italy for now

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

Italians Looking In Good Spirits:
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 6:04 pm

FreekShow wrote:

Germany played a truly awful team who sat back in the hope of seeing out a 0-0 draw. England will beat Italy and WILL put up a much, much, much better showing than the Greeks did tonight, who were quite frankly embarrassing.

Ironically, I thought Germany looked worse when Greece sat back. They are so good at hitting teams on the break that they looked a little lost passing it on the edge of the box, it took a Lahm wonder goal and Greece coming out of their shell for Germany to really take them apart.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

To sum up how big this game is from an England perspective:

First Quarter-Final for England in SIX years
First Euro Quarter-Final for England in EIGHT years
Victory would put England in their first semi-final for SIXTEEN years

Nerves really starting to kick in now, under six hours from kick-off.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

Outcome predictions?

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

2-0 England

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:2-0 England

+1 Yahoo

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:36 pm

I say 1-0 to England. COME ON ENGLAND Yahoo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:39 pm

0-0 all the way until penalties. Then it's a pickem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

1-1, PKs, England. Headscratch

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:47 pm

1-0 England.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

Pirlo to score the only goal for Italy, but miss the crucial PK, and retire with sadness. Wink

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

41-26 to england

wilkinson with 2 and 2 conversions
2 penalties too

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

We've discussed until we're all blue in the face how this isn't a classic England team, but I can't say its a classic Italy team either. Problems going forward for either team, might cancel out to a 0-0 draw.

Neither team is particularly good from 12 yards
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

Cat, What's your prediction after 0-0?

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

Italy.

Neither have a good record but Italy have at least wona WC final by them.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

The funny thing is that while most of us seem to be downplaying England's chances saying we have a poor squad etc, our Italian counterparts are doing exactly the same thing when talking about their chances of winning.

For what it is worth I think the score will be 2-1... but I don't know who will win. I think this is a really close match, and will be quite a tense and scrappy affair.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:21 pm

England 1-1 Italy

ET - Our central midfield could struggle and we will be reliant on counter attacking through Walcott, anything could happen. I'm expecting many yellow's and a few suspensions going into the semi's. Reckon there will be a winner in ET but to who I cannot say. Too close. If it goes pens......Italy vs Germany semi!

C'mon England, cheer me up after that F1 thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

surely the italians will be too tired to play extra time?

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:38 pm

I'm looking forward to tonight's game, both teams have pleasently surprised me, neither have what you'd say 'strong' sides but both teams have very fresh sides, Gerrard for me has been brilliant so far, the star of the England side and Cassano has impressed big time as well, Italy like England have been waiting a long time for these guys to take a tournament by the scruf of the neck, I'd like to see England get through to have the big Germany vs England semi final but I think the Italians have that little more guile Italy 2-1 England

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:40 pm

The one thing I think I'm more confident about this time is that England will fight for it. I think Gerrard in this tournament can have the same effect he has had for Liverpool so many times and drive them to overcoming the odds, he relishes it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:40 pm

i think we shouldnt play too attacking, soak up the pressure, hit them on the counter. id be happy for extra time as i think their legs will go before ours do. obv dont want penalties. so i predict and extra time win

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:40 pm

2-1 to England. thumbsup

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:47 pm

im going for a 2-0 England. However, it wont be as easy as the scoreline looks. I believe it will be a close affair with some scares along the way.

I see Rooney scoring in the first half, then Andy Carroll netting a header late on to seal the Semi Final place with the Germans.

COME ON ENGLAND! Hug

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:51 pm

6,000-12,000 England fans estimated at the game tonight, only 1,000-3,000 Italians estimated. Come on England, less than 3 hours to go!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:57 pm

lets try make it like a home game then

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next