The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread

+14
lorus59
Jennifer1984
Crimey
Leff
Josiah Maiestas
GG
tunes666
drsambo1928
Ent
LivinginItaly
Postie
GSC
Duty281
The Special Juan
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread - Page 2 Empty Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread

Post by The Special Juan Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Spain v Italy? Who will triumph? They met in the group and drew 1-1, with Pirlo making Xavi and Iniesta redundant at times.

I say Spain to win 1-0 playing with no striker!!

Tune into Sky Sports News after the final for reaction to England's quarter final loss to Italy.

"Klinsmann: Spain win over Italy would make them team of century"

Yes, I'd say they have been the best team of the past 12 years.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread

Post by Leff Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:39 pm

Please don't start a thread comparing Scholes with Xavi to spoil this glorious moment for Spain.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Spain v Italy, Final, build up and match thread

Post by drsambo1928 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:50 pm

Well done Spain, they were the most consistent team and they fully deserve it, question is who is gonna beat them, 4 in a row is almost unthinkable.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:52 pm

drsambo1928 wrote:Well done Spain, they were the most consistent team and they fully deserve it, question is who is gonna beat them, 4 in a row is almost unthinkable.

Maybe a South American side. Uruguay are the best in South America at the moment, I doubt they'd be able to though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:57 pm

48 days until the start of the season again......

Shocked

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:58 pm

Brazil maybe but the way they play its hard to keep the ball and even harder to get it back for the opposition. Xavi and co. will eventually have to retire and the world will be restored to order. Although you gotta admire the Spanish.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:03 pm

Torres wins the golden boot award with three goals and an assist. I am not sure how much time he played on the field - he seems only to get 15 - 30 minutes per game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:04 pm

Thank god that's over. Roll on mid August for the good football to start again

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:10 pm

Crimey wrote:
drsambo1928 wrote:Well done Spain, they were the most consistent team and they fully deserve it, question is who is gonna beat them, 4 in a row is almost unthinkable.

Maybe a South American side. Uruguay are the best in South America at the moment, I doubt they'd be able to though.

I dunno, as good as they are, they looked like they were running out of steam at times this tourny. Portugal def could've taken them, Italy showed they could compete in the first game.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:
Crimey wrote:

I dunno, as good as they are, they looked like they were running out of steam at times this tourny. Portugal def could've taken them, Italy showed they could compete in the first game.

That's the problem though isn't it? They didn't even seem to get out of 2nd gear until the final and yet they still ended up winning it. Isn't that what they say is the sign of champions?

I hope another side can challenge them. I was sure Germany could have done it, but they were really shown up against Italy. I still can't believe how poor Germany looked against Italy.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:14 pm

gazzyD wrote:Thank god that's over. Roll on mid August for the good football to start again

Yeah, who wants to watch all this rubbish where teams pass the ball to each other more than twice in a row. Let's get back to some good old English humping the ball up in the air and seeing who gets underneath it when it comes down.

That's how we make Wayne Rooney look good.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:19 pm

Crimey wrote:
Crimey wrote:

That's the problem though isn't it? They didn't even seem to get out of 2nd gear until the final and yet they still ended up winning it. Isn't that what they say is the sign of champions?

I hope another side can challenge them. I was sure Germany could have done it, but they were really shown up against Italy. I still can't believe how poor Germany looked against Italy.

I think the way Italy lined up really helped them tonight. If you play 4-4-2 against Barca or Spain you get smashed. That the stamina ran out.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:21 pm

Crimey wrote:
Crimey wrote:

I think the way Italy lined up really helped them tonight. If you play 4-4-2 against Barca or Spain you get smashed. That the stamina ran out.

But even Portugal who seemed to play the perfect game plan against them just tired out and couldn't beat them.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:21 pm

Jennifer1984 wrote:
gazzyD wrote:Thank god that's over. Roll on mid August for the good football to start again

Yeah, who wants to watch all this rubbish where teams pass the ball to each other more than twice in a row. Let's get back to some good old English humping the ball up in the air and seeing who gets underneath it when it comes down.

That's how we make Wayne Rooney look good.

Not a fan of the 60 yard diagonal hoof then Jenny?

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm

Stunning exhibition of incisive passing..... clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:14 am

The IDIOT that is Garth Crooks picked Glen Johnson, Steven Gerrard, Mario Balotelli & Mario Gomez in his Tournament XI.

What planet is this man on?????

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:41 am

Goalkeeper:Buffon(just scrapes it over Cassillass as he made some great and important saves, not taking anything away from Iker, just thought Gianluigi was better)
RB:Abatte(Speedy player, beats Arebeloa,probably was a better RB in the tornument, can't remember though)
CB:Sergio Ramos(A rock, need I say more)
CB:Pique(again can't think of anyone else)
LB:Fabio Coentrao(just beats Lahm and Alba with his overall ability)
RM:Iniesta(Vital as usual for Spain, beats Nani by a fair bit)
CM:Xavi(Not his best tornument but shined in the final)
CM:Pirlo(Player of the tornument)
CM:Fabregas(Tempted to put him as a striker in the team but I know better, had a good tornument)
LM:Ronaldo(Tough on Silva but hey... it's Ronaldo, again can't really remember anyone)
ST:Mario Gomez(Had a good tornument but I guess you might have to give it to Torres as he won the Golden boot)

Probably not the best selection but I can't remember alot of the matches.Should I phone a doctor Tumbleweed

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon 02 Jul 2012, 3:29 am

Couldn't find a place for Wayne Rooney? Smile

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon 02 Jul 2012, 3:57 am

John Cregan wrote:The IDIOT that is Garth Crooks picked Glen Johnson, Steven Gerrard, Mario Balotelli & Mario Gomez in his Tournament XI.

Owasso, Oklahoma.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 02 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

John Cregan wrote:The IDIOT that is Garth Crooks picked Glen Johnson, Steven Gerrard, Mario Balotelli & Mario Gomez in his Tournament XI.

Glen Johnson had a great tournament. His reputation preceded him and a lot of people judged him on his past mistakes rather than watching the games and seeing that he was England's best defender and probably second best attacker behind...

Gerrard who for the first time ever managed to drive England in the same way as he has done for Liverpool. I think if you look at the group stages he definitely was one of the best players but it was spoiled by the Italy game where he just couldn't get into it.

I agree with Balotelli who really had one good game against the Germans.

Gomez on the other hand played well in all his games bar the Italy one, after he had been inexplicably dropped by the manager. I don't think many other strikers looked as good as he did.

I think Xavi is an odd selection, as is Ramos. I thought Xavi had an excellent final and a good game against Ireland, but struggled in all the other games particularly against Portugal in which he was substituted highlighting his ineffectiveness. I really do not rate Ramos, I think he's a liability for both Spain and Real Madrid, he makes silly fouls in dangerous places, he gets caught out of position quite often, at corners he's always picked out but almost every time just heads over, he's tall but not skilled at headers.

I think his team is alright, not the same as mine, but not completely 'out there'.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:13 am

OK,
No reasonable analyst could say Glen Johnson was on the Team of the Tournament..........I would pick Lahm (even though he played left), Abate, Gabri Salisse, Arbeloa and probably a host of others i cant think off were better. In fact, i think Johnson had a poor tournameent.

Gerrards place is odd...........Fabregas maybe??

To pick Balotelli over Ronaldo............only Garth can answer that.

I also believe Ibrahimovic deserves to be in the team ahead of Gomez.......he had a quality tournament..................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:24 am

John Cregan wrote:OK,
No reasonable analyst could say Glen Johnson was on the Team of the Tournament..........I would pick Lahm (even though he played left), Abate, Gabri Salisse, Arbeloa and probably a host of others i cant think off were better. In fact, i think Johnson had a poor tournameent.

Gerrards place is odd...........Fabregas maybe??

To pick Balotelli over Ronaldo............only Garth can answer that.

I also believe Ibrahimovic deserves to be in the team ahead of Gomez.......he had a quality tournament..................

I disagree completely. I think Johnson was probably England's best player. Arbeloa did very little all tournament, he got into good positions but failed to really do anything with them. Abate didn't play for most of the games, and I don't think he played particularly well either especially in the final where Spain had a field day down his flank. Gabri Selassie had a good game going forward and I think he's good, but I don't think he played as well as Johnson who definitely didn't have a poor tournament.

Fabregas had a decent tournament, but I think Gerrard was better than him. He assisted most of England's goals and was much more crucial to the side than Fabregas.

I'd pick Ronaldo rather than Balotelli as well, but it's not that baffling. Balotelli did score 3 goals in the tournament and had a good game against Germany which was in recent memory.

Ibrahimovic had one good game, against France, when it was already too late. Against Ukraine and England he was largely ineffective and I think to suggest that Ibrahimovic who quite frankly had no effect on the tournament should be picked ahead of Gomez who only lost the Golden Boot out of playing less minutes than Torres is baffling to me.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:53 am

Johnson had a good tournament.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Johnson had a good tournament.

I think so too. Not great, but I don't think there were any right backs who had a great individual tournament.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:50 am

Johnson was ponderours on the ball and i think the fact that (as is his natural game) he got forward a lot made his performances seem better than they were............ without ever producing much..........defensively ok.

Gerrard in Garth's team (as an attacking midfielder) ahead of Fabregas is laughable to be honest.

Ibrahimovic was outstanding for 3 games.............just coz they lost 2 games doesn't alter that..................

I wonder about Garth sometimes.................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:51 am

John Cregan wrote:Johnson was ponderours on the ball and i think the fact that (as is his natural game) he got forward a lot without ever producing much..........defensively ok.

Gerrard in Garth's team (as an attacking midfielder) ahead of Fabregas is laughable to be honest.

Ibrahimovic was outstanding for 3 games.............just coz they lost 2 games doesn't alter that..................

I wonder about Garth sometimes.................

Well Gerrard got into UEFA's official team of the tournament so clearly some people agree. Gerrard also had three assists. I think Fabregas had one assist, one goal but somebody may correct me on this.

I don't think Ibrahimovic was even close to outstanding, he looked like he was capable of it but didn't really do enough for me.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:14 pm

thumbsup Cheers Crimey,

There is now a Team of the Tournament thread so see you there!!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 02 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

Fabregas had two goals I think. Scored against Ireland and Italy I think.

Anyway, I'm going to start this off with somewhat of a controversial statement, I never find Spain broing to watch. The way they keep the ball, their movement, intricate passing and accuracy is a joy to watch. Have they been as entertaining for the whole tournament? No, they haven't, credit to Italy unlike other teams, they set out to try and take the game to them rather than try and shut down the midfielders like France and indeed Portugal tried to. I think they are a great team to watch, their patience and passing are captivating, they produced some spell binding play in all their matches and should have beaten Portugal in extra time.

I understand why people find them boring but I think it's almost as bad to see teams try and shut the opposition down rather than go for it themselves. I see Ireland do it in rugby and it annoys the shoite out of me. Anywaa great game, Italy were deserved finalists and raised it to a level that most won't get near. With thier continued good perforamnces in underage championships, thie juggernaut could be at the very least competitve at the top table for a long time.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Mon 02 Jul 2012, 1:26 pm

Agreed, I think Spain are lovely to watch. Although it is hell if you are supporting the opposition team.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 02 Jul 2012, 1:40 pm

I thought the Spain performance last night was like the Spain I remember. Yes they do knock it about but not as tediously as Barcelona do. This tournament, they have been guilty of Barcelona-esque football but they were unstoppable last night. The best team ever, I have no doubts about that.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2