The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many more slams will Federer win?

+10
luciusmann
carrieg4
kemet
coolpixel
User 774433
88Chris05
bogbrush
Henman Bill
laverfan
Good Golly I'm Olly
14 posters

Go down

How many more Slams will Federer win?

How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_lcap24%How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 5 ]
How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_lcap43%How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 9 ]
How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_lcap19%How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 4 ]
How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_lcap0%How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_lcap0%How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_lcap5%How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_lcap9%How many more slams will Federer win? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 21

How many more slams will Federer win? Empty How many more slams will Federer win?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:20 pm

It is a simple poll. How many more do you think Federer has in him?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

How many more slams will Federer win? Empty Re: How many more slams will Federer win?

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:23 pm

I think it's tough to answer. A lot depends on his motivation and desire. He now holds all the big records so there isn't much else to play for. You'd think he'd tire of the slog and prefer to spend more time with his family. But then again he's a beast so you never know, he may go on four another four years as he keeps stating.

In that case I would opt for 0-3.

Back to top Go down

How many more slams will Federer win? Empty Re: How many more slams will Federer win?

Post by laverfan Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:25 pm

I would say 3 or more. He himself stated that 20 is 'doable'. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:26 pm

Zero should be an option or it's not a fair poll.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:27 pm

Hope or think? Tough to separate.

One day he'll win ne and it'll be his day. THT might have been today. But I think the evolution under Annacone was a long term job and do long as the back holds up he's a threat or a while yet. Plus, who says the other three stay fit and in rom?

I vote two more. Maybe. But 0 should be an option.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

I think if he wins one more then his slam record will be safe from Rafa, since that will be one more that Rafa can't win.

But the race is still on.

If Rafa wins the USO, he's right back in the race. If Fed wins, then I think it's pretty much game over for Rafa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:29 pm

Yeah zero should definitely be an option; can you ammend the poll please Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:30 pm

I think one more. I get the feeling that this return to the number one spot will only be a brief one, not that it matters much; at almost thirty-one (practically ancient in men's tennis), being married with kids, with the likes of Djokovic and Nadal in their primes and so many distinguishing moments already behind him, for Federer to just be contesting the top spot is a remarkable feat already and one of his most meritorious ones.

Two more finals, one more victory at Slam level would be my guess. Naturally enough, Wimbledon and the US Open are the most likely ones.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:33 pm

How do you edit the OP for a poll???????

Sorry complete oversight by me not putting 0 in OK
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:33 pm

Federer will win many more. He is favourite for USO now surely, the rankings don't lie and he is World number 1, no?

He has just won Wimbledon and I think it will propel him to many more- this was a crucial title as it will not only add to his huge belief, but means he is world number 1.

As for Nadal, well. He is now number 3 in the world (and soon to be number 4 with the form Murray is in), and that is with a clay-court season bolstering it. Let's see- these days he can't get past Round 2 of major events- hopefully he can do a bit better in the Olympics. But as for the US, Hard Court has always been his worst surface, especially the surface there.
Nadal has no chance of winning there, I'm thinking he should play clay 250 tournaments like Bastaad to pick up enough points to keep himself in the top 5.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:36 pm

I think he has another Wimbledon and US Open in him. Depends how long he goes on for. Can't see him playing beyond 33.

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:37 pm

you guys are getting carried away right? answer this poll tomorrow not today.

Federer CAN win a slam or two more, however he needs to have slices of luck happen the way it did this time.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:47 pm

I actually think that he is not likely to win another slam. He was quite fortunate that Rafa was eliminated early and Djokovic was somewhat undercooked in the semifinal. However, if he is to win another one, it will most likely be Wimbledon. However, he may need Rafa to be eliminated before the latter stages of the tournament again.

At this stage in his career, I do not think he is able to cope with Rafa over five sets.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:49 pm

I've gone with two as well. When he plays like he did today he is pretty unstoppable but he needs the luck and healthy back too.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:50 pm

I'd say 3. My own estimation has always been that he should win an extra one @ the Aussie Open, an extra one @ the USO and an extra Wimbledon. That would also mean he would hold the record for most grand slam titles in the open era at all 3. But hey, I'm not sure it will unfold exactly like that. It's more than possible he might win 2 @ the USO and none @ the Aussie Open.

I am definitely going to be interested to see how Fed does in the Olympics, Canada & Cinci, will Wimbledon give him a big boost? It is funny, in many ways it was strange that some posters thought that Fed winning the Masters 1000 tournaments was insignificant, it was winning 3 of them in the last 9 months that has now propelled him to finally landing a slam.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:57 pm

kemet wrote:I actually think that he is not likely to win another slam. He was quite fortunate that Rafa was eliminated early and Djokovic was somewhat undercooked in the semifinal. However, if he is to win another one, it will most likely be Wimbledon. However, he may need Rafa to be eliminated before the latter stages of the tournament again.

At this stage in his career, I do not think he is able to cope with Rafa over five sets.

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment.

Luck can always be perceived to play a part in any slam victory for anyone. It depends how on how you interpret events. Thus that same perceived luck will also be a factor in the future slams, but who will it favour? We don't know.

Fed beat the number one player in the world and followed it up with victory against the number 4. That is not an easy route to a slam by any measure.

Another way of looking at it is to say that Fed's W triumph is just a continuation of all the success he has enjoyed since last year's USO, and that it was only interrupted by the clay season, where the surface does not do him any favours at all.

He has a shot at the USO this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

Olly wrote:How do you edit the OP for a poll???????

Sorry complete oversight by me not putting 0 in OK
Suggest you pm a mod for guidance.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:01 pm

i think he will win 2 more !!

COME ON FED¬!

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

I figured he would get to 20, if he wins another one soon then I still think so.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:17 pm

How many more s;lams will Federer win?

I guess it's a question of how many more times he plays Andy in the final.

Last edited by newballs on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spell check)

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 10 Jul 2012, 3:36 pm

Have opted for two. Like some others, I always thought Fed had at least one more Slam left in him and was really surprised that he did not even make the Wimby semis two years running when it was considered that SW19 and the USO were his two best bets.
What should be remembered is that he had match points in the semis twice against Djoko in new York, with an interesting-to-say-the-least final encounter with Rafa on the line.
The USO is the only slam in which Fedal have not met. This year ? In any event, I reckon Rog will remain a big favourite for Wimbledon and the USO for at least a couple of years.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down