The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many more slams does Federer need to win....

5 posters

Go down

How many more slams does Federer need to win.... Empty How many more slams does Federer need to win....

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed May 11, 2011 7:22 pm

So how many more slams do you reckon Federer needs to win to keep it from Nadal catching up? I personally think 3 more would make it pretty safe and 5 more slams would make it future proof for a long time. However realistically speaking, Federer I say has about 2-3 slams in him and reaching 18 slams I'd say is quite safe. However Rafa is a machine and I could see him catching upto that. How many do you guys reckon?

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

How many more slams does Federer need to win.... Empty Re: How many more slams does Federer need to win....

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed May 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Zilch. Nadal won't make 16, I don't think. He'll come close, might even equal Sampras, but I can't avoid the feeling that Aussie Open and US Open's were one off performances based on a real determination to get that career slam.

Can't see him nailing down Wimbledon every year either. He's on 9 at the moment isn't he? So he needs 7 more....

2011 - RG/Wimbledon (Age 24/25)
2012 - RG/Wimbledon (Age 25/26)
2013 - RG (Age 26/27)
2014 - RG (Age 27/28)

I think someone else will have come around by then, and Nadal will probably struggle to claim another slam beyond that. You never know though, do you? He's certainly got the skills to overhaul 16, but I can't see it happening.

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

How many more slams does Federer need to win.... Empty Re: How many more slams does Federer need to win....

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed May 11, 2011 8:12 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:Zilch. Nadal won't make 16, I don't think. He'll come close, might even equal Sampras, but I can't avoid the feeling that Aussie Open and US Open's were one off performances based on a real determination to get that career slam.

Can't see him nailing down Wimbledon every year either. He's on 9 at the moment isn't he? So he needs 7 more....

2013 - RG (Age 26/27)
2014 - RG (Age 27/28)

I think someone else will have come around by then, and Nadal will probably struggle to claim another slam beyond that. You never know though, do you? He's certainly got the skills to overhaul 16, but I can't see it happening.
Woah you don't reckon he can make another hard court slam? His performances on the hard courts this year, bar the aussie were good.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:
Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:Zilch. Nadal won't make 16, I don't think. He'll come close, might even equal Sampras, but I can't avoid the feeling that Aussie Open and US Open's were one off performances based on a real determination to get that career slam.

2013 - RG (Age 26/27)
2014 - RG (Age 27/28)

Woah you don't reckon he can make another hard court slam? His performances on the hard courts this year, bar the aussie were good.
Oh he's a fine hard court player, but there's too much competition. Djokovic's sudden turn in form has obviously made him a big favourite for slams there, Federer is still a better player than him on hard courts and del Potro's injuries seem to have had absolutely no detrimental effect on his game whatsoever, so he'll be a major threat. On top of that you've got people who could potentially dismantle him in earlier rounds like Soderling, Murray, Roddick e.t.c. Just can't see it happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu May 12, 2011 2:42 pm

16 is secure, imho.

We can already see that Djokovic is going to be a credible threat to him at Slams (which he's never been) and Rafa is dropping sets on clay like he hasn't for a few years. I'm not calling his career, just saying I think he's topped out and I suspect his game needs him at 100% even more than most.

I can see him getting 12, even maybe 14. But I can't see him almost doubling the tally he has now. Think about it in those terms and it looks unlikely.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu May 12, 2011 3:01 pm

I agree, Nadal is great player if he didn't have chronic leg problems I could see him really threatening and possibly surpassing Roger's record. I think Roger's record will stand for a very long time. Rafa, unfortunately, because I do really like him could have had a chance but he seems to get hurt for a significant stretch every single year. And he has had so many leg problems at a very young age. I mean just think about what an incredible number 16 slams is, a player would have to win every single slam for four years just to tie that number. Personally, I think if Rafa can even get close to Fed's record considering other factors like their head to head record and Rafa's mastery of master's series a strong argument could be made as to why Rafa is better. But generally I think Rafa will probably top out at the 12-14 range.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu May 12, 2011 7:24 pm

I am amazed of the amount of people writing Nadal off on the hard courts. Many people didn't think he would come back from his injury setback at the AO 2010 and not come back the same player and when he returned he more or less demolished the field. I think Rafa will surpass Feds record because I think he other than Federer is the only player who can string together 3 slams in a year. Djokovic is a threat and has now upped his game and is a threat to Nadal. I think Nadal can reach about 17-18 slams. Question is can Feds win another slam?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Look legendkillar I am not discounting Rafa on the hardcourts. Heck I am saying the guy could win 5 more slams that is hardly discounting him. But yes we have the emergence of Djokovic whose best surface is the hardcourt. We have the continued development of Andy Murray. Eventually, young del potro will come back and his game is perfectly suited to the outdoor hardcourts, so it will be tough. But I could see him getting another slam or two on the hardcourts. Would i be shocked if Rafa got to 17 or 18 slams. No it is a possibility but I wouldn't lay money on it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu May 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey socal. I have the seen other forums who are discounting Rafa based on the defeat in Madrid and the close match yesterday. Think I was sucked in by the WUMS. I agree it will be tougher for Nadal on the hardcourts because of the emerging competition, but I think he has adjusted his game since his come back from injury to prevent himself from being involved in intense matches, but that also increases the weaknesses in his game. Roger had that dominance from 2004-2007 and Rafa had a good 2010 and if he can string a run like that he could very well do it. Now we have Djokovic who is in dominant form and again is another player that could string together seasons of slam success. I think Rafa could make 17-18, it is just whether the rest of the field can catch up.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Thu May 12, 2011 8:01 pm

legendkillar wrote:Hey socal. I have the seen other forums who are discounting Rafa based on the defeat in Madrid and the close match yesterday. Think I was sucked in by the WUMS. I agree it will be tougher for Nadal on the hardcourts because of the emerging competition, but I think he has adjusted his game since his come back from injury to prevent himself from being involved in intense matches, but that also increases the weaknesses in his game. Roger had that dominance from 2004-2007 and Rafa had a good 2010 and if he can string a run like that he could very well do it. Now we have Djokovic who is in dominant form and again is another player that could string together seasons of slam success. I think Rafa could make 17-18, it is just whether the rest of the field can catch up.

Erm arguably it has. Not even counting the Madrid final, Nadal has looked very shaky on clay, especially at Monte Carlo where both Murray and Ferrer gave him tough matches and Andy was half injured and is absolutely uselss on clay, lol. But ofcourse this might just be a little blip in form every player experiences. Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro (when fit Rolling Eyes ) all have Nadal's number on hardcourts and on grass I'd still argue that Federer, if he reaches good form has his number and possibly Murray. On clay, so far no one has, although there are a number of contenders that could have his number in the near future.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu May 12, 2011 9:13 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Hey socal. I have the seen other forums who are discounting Rafa based on the defeat in Madrid and the close match yesterday. Think I was sucked in by the WUMS. I agree it will be tougher for Nadal on the hardcourts because of the emerging competition, but I think he has adjusted his game since his come back from injury to prevent himself from being involved in intense matches, but that also increases the weaknesses in his game. Roger had that dominance from 2004-2007 and Rafa had a good 2010 and if he can string a run like that he could very well do it. Now we have Djokovic who is in dominant form and again is another player that could string together seasons of slam success. I think Rafa could make 17-18, it is just whether the rest of the field can catch up.

Erm arguably it has. Not even counting the Madrid final, Nadal has looked very shaky on clay, especially at Monte Carlo where both Murray and Ferrer gave him tough matches and Andy was half injured and is absolutely uselss on clay, lol. But ofcourse this might just be a little blip in form every player experiences. Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro (when fit Rolling Eyes ) all have Nadal's number on hardcourts and on grass I'd still argue that Federer, if he reaches good form has his number and possibly Murray. On clay, so far no one has, although there are a number of contenders that could have his number in the near future.

Bar Federer and Nadal who has won 3 slams in a calendar year on the mens side or even 2 in this generation? 🤦

Nadal is much more improved then he was when he broke through onto other surfaces at Wimbledon 2008 and the Aus Open 2009

Ferrer lost in 2 sets to Nadal in both MC and Madrid so hardly tough is it?

If Federer reaches good form? Exactly 'If'

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Thu May 12, 2011 9:18 pm

legendkillar wrote:
I AM AWESOME wrote:

Bar Federer and Nadal who has won 3 slams in a calendar year on the mens side or even 2 in this generation? 🤦

Nadal is much more improved then he was when he broke through onto other surfaces at Wimbledon 2008 and the Aus Open 2009

Erm that doesn't matter, the fact of the matter is winning 3 grand slams in a year is very rare and a big feat to achieve and I can see Djokovic achieveing it if he keeps up his beastly form.

I'd argue that he reached his peak last year and he was only marginally better than the performances displayed in 2009.

Yes Ferrer lost 2 sets but that doesn't tell the whole picture does it? It may have been straight sets to Rafa but he sure as hell had to work his bum off.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu May 12, 2011 9:30 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
I AM AWESOME wrote:

Erm that doesn't matter, the fact of the matter is winning 3 grand slams in a year is very rare and a big feat to achieve and I can see Djokovic achieveing it if he keeps up his beastly form.

I'd argue that he reached his peak last year and he was only marginally better than the performances displayed in 2009.

Yes Ferrer lost 2 sets but that doesn't tell the whole picture does it? It may have been straight sets to Rafa but he sure as hell had to work his bum off.

Ermmmm why doesn't that matter? I can see Nadal doing it and that is my opinion. Great players have achieved it and thats what Nadal is.

I don't think Nadal has peaked as he still has slams in him. I would agree with you that Djokovic could achieve that feat on current form.

Well the first set Ferrer was way off the pace and in the second he did improve. Murray took a set off him and hadn't he not been injured would have beaten Nadal and to call him useless on clay is pretty cheap.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 pm

legendkillar wrote:
I AM AWESOME wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
I AM AWESOME wrote:

Ermmmm why doesn't that matter? I can see Nadal doing it and that is my opinion. Great players have achieved it and thats what Nadal is.

I don't think Nadal has peaked as he still has slams in him. I would agree with you that Djokovic could achieve that feat on current form.

Well the first set Ferrer was way off the pace and in the second he did improve. Murray took a set off him and hadn't he not been injured would have beaten Nadal and to call him useless on clay is pretty cheap.
Oh what I meant by peak wasn't that he weren't gonna win any more slams, but his peak performance, ie the maximum level he can perform at which we saw last year, ofcourse this doesn't mean that he can't perform at that level again, just that he probably won't exceed that level.

Ferrer was way off the pace but yet gave Nadal a tight match which just further emphasises how poor Rafa has been on clay this season compared to previous seasons. Well he is useless in comparison to other players ranked close to him such as Federer, Soderling, Berdych etc.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12, 2011 10:20 pm

If Nadal wins a couple more Ozzy's, 1 more SW19 and two more USO's, bringing his total to...

3 x AO's
6 x FO's (if he wins this year)
3 x SW19's
3 x USO's

Would that make him a far better slam player than Federer ? given his tally is....

3 x AO's
1 x FO
6 x SW19's
5 x USO's

If we are talking about all round play and consistency ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Thu May 12, 2011 11:05 pm

Well it wouldn't make him a 'far better slam player' than Federer, but you'd have a basis for arguing that he's overall the better player.

That's one hell of an 'if' though. 3 Aussies and 3 US Opens? Never in a million years. Nadal's already one of the greats, but if he does that i'll be absolutely gobsmacked.

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Thu May 12, 2011 11:13 pm

Jubbahey wrote:If Nadal wins a couple more Ozzy's, 1 more SW19 and two more USO's, bringing his total to...

3 x AO's
3 x SW19's
3 x USO's

Would that make him a far better slam player than Federer ? given his tally is....

3 x AO's
1 x FO
6 x SW19's
5 x USO's

Erm it's 4 GS titles at Aussie lol.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Thu May 12, 2011 11:22 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:
Jubbahey wrote:If Nadal wins a couple more Ozzy's, 1 more SW19 and two more USO's, bringing his total to...

3 x AO's
3 x SW19's
3 x USO's

3 x AO's
1 x FO
6 x SW19's
5 x USO's

A 'couple' is often considered 2. Like the phrase 'we're a couple' for instance. Nadal only has 1 Aussie open at the minute, so at the risk of patronising you 2 + 1 = 3. Wink Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri May 13, 2011 7:24 am

I don't see Rafa getting to three grandslams at any of the hardcourt majors. At most he has maybe one more US and one more Australia in him. There are too many players that have the firepower on a hardcourt to beat him, that is the best surface for most of the great players. Djokovic has shown he can play with Nadal on a hardcourt. He served extremely poorly in that USO final he lost to nadal and it was still a very tough match.

I think I could see Rafa winning 2-3 more RGs, 1-2 more wimbys, 0-1 AO, and 0-1 US open. It is always very tricky to forecast tennis players form into even the immediate future. When it goes it goes fast, remember that in 2009 fed won 2 grandslams and played in 2 other finals. In 2010 he didn't reach a single final.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri May 13, 2011 12:07 pm

socal1976 wrote:
I think I could see Rafa winning 2-3 more RGs, 1-2 more wimbys, 0-1 AO, and 0-1 US open. It is always very tricky to forecast tennis players form into even the immediate future. When it goes it goes fast, remember that in 2009 fed won 2 grandslams and played in 2 other finals. In 2010 he didn't reach a single final.
Except for, you know, that Aussie Open he won in 2010... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Fri May 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:
I AM AWESOME wrote:

3 x AO's
3 x SW19's
3 x USO's

3 x AO's
1 x FO
6 x SW19's
5 x USO's

A 'couple' is often considered 2. Like the phrase 'we're a couple' for instance. Nadal only has 1 Aussie open at the minute, so at the risk of patronising you 2 + 1 = 3. Wink Very Happy
NOOOO. Lol. I meant that Federer has won 4 Aussies, the guy said 3. thumbsup

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down