The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If After All This Khan Loses...?

+5
AdZacO
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
88Chris05
HumanWindmill
AlexHuckerby
9 posters

Go down

If After All This Khan Loses...? Empty If After All This Khan Loses...?

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:04 am

Where does Khan go form here if he loses, I mean every single person on this forum with a brain seems to think that Khan is going to win, and nearly everyone is overlooking McCloskey and just looking to the Bradley fight. However where does Khan go from here if he actually ends up losing, we know that he still may have a chin dodgier than a night out with Charlie Sheen, his reputation is pretty much in tatters, he loses his WBA and could perhaps ruin him as a a fighter, you could easily put the argument forward he was too green for Prescott, which I think he most probably was, however what excuses can he bring out if he loses?
And more importantly would any of you guys believe in him anymore?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

If After All This Khan Loses...? Empty Re: If After All This Khan Loses...?

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:10 am

Alex, this is an excellent point.

However, it's probably going to spawn a lot of comments common to the ' other ' Khan thread, and if so I'll leave it for ten minutes so you know where it is and then I'll merge the two together.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:14 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Where does Khan go form here if he loses, I mean every single person on this forum with a brain seems to think that Khan is going to win, and nearly everyone is overlooking McCloskey and just looking to the Bradley fight. However where does Khan go from here if he actually ends up losing, we know that he still may have a chin dodgier than a night out with Charlie Sheen, his reputation is pretty much in tatters, he loses his WBA and could perhaps ruin him as a a fighter, you could easily put the argument forward he was too green for Prescott, which I think he most probably was, however what excuses can he bring out if he loses?
And more importantly would any of you guys believe in him anymore?

If any excuses were rolled out, it would depend on the nature of the loss. For instance, if McCloskey blitzed him early on (the mother of all unlikely scenarios) then the excuse of being caught cold wouldn't be too far away. If McCloskey outboxed him over twelve rounds (not quite as unlikely, but far-fetched all the same), then I'd wager that Khan's preparations weren't right due to the Sky-Primetime saga.

I don't see how Khan can lose this one really, but if he did I reckon a rematch would be made more or less straight away. Khan holds the aces when it comes to the negotiating table and I doubt that McCloskey would be afforded the type of freedom most world champions have when they first take a belt.

As for what I'd think of him, well a KO loss wouldn't really change what I think of his chin; he doesn't have the best set of whisker (nor the worst, mind you) and can be rocked. We knew that already, regardless of what happens on Saturday night. If he were to be outboxed, that's when I'd be really worried for him, and if that did happen we'd have to come to the conclusion that Khan is nowhere near as good as many (me included) think he is right now, or at the very least nowhere near consistent enough.

Still, as I said, I see Khan winning this one every day of the week.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:19 am

Yeah I mean, I'm no nutjob I fully expect Khan to take him most probs mid rounds stoppage, however stranger things have happened, we aren't being 100% fair to McCloskey in that he is a undefeated fighter in 28 and has decent power. But no doubt Khan is HEAVILY the favorite! I suppose you are correct it depends on the nature, however the loss would be just as devastating in my opinion, it would have Ian Darke shouting louder than he did when Williams Ko'd tyson, Baha!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:27 am

Think Khan is a favourite for this fight but don't see him dominating McCloskey. McCloskey is unbeaten and has a decent punch and I'm still not sure about Khans chin. In the Maidana fight in the 10th when he was all over the place it was a lot of arm punches Maidana hit him with and he was like Bambi on ice.
I'm not a big Khan fan I do think he is a good fighter but a bit of a hype job. For me this is just delaying the inevittable because I see Bradley beating him inside the distance anyway.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:59 am

Disagree with the last part (Bradley beating him) I think he will be in and out in and out like he was against Kotelnik, but I do agree with you that he may not dominate this fight, and McCloskey is more than capable of having his moments, I just wonder whether the speed will get to him a bit too early though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:06 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Disagree with the last part (Bradley beating him) I think he will be in and out in and out like he was against Kotelnik, but I do agree with you that he may not dominate this fight, and McCloskey is more than capable of having his moments, I just wonder whether the speed will get to him a bit too early though.

The only reason I see Bradley beating him is Khans indiscipline the first time Bradley catches him cleanly he will probably start trying to scrap with him. He's always done that. That would play right into Bradleys hands imo. I think Khan is a more gifted fighter but lacks the discipline which I see costing him in the future.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:14 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Think Khan is a favourite for this fight but don't see him dominating McCloskey. McCloskey is unbeaten and has a decent punch and I'm still not sure about Khans chin. In the Maidana fight in the 10th when he was all over the place it was a lot of arm punches Maidana hit him with and he was like Bambi on ice.
I'm not a big Khan fan I do think he is a good fighter but a bit of a hype job. For me this is just delaying the inevittable because I see Bradley beating him inside the distance anyway.

But depends what you mean by hype job. I beleive in a few years he has every chance of making it into the top 10 p4p. If sat he does beat Bradley and stay diciplined doing it would it change your opinion of him? Even slightly, as to beleive that he could improve to be at the top 10 deservedly in his career?

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:15 pm

I think it will take a better fighter than Bradley to expose him, personally , though I fully agree with what you're saying, I don't think Bradley's good enough to pull it off. I feel he's too mechanical at times in the way he charges, tries to immitate Hagler, at times but just can't do it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:18 pm

I think Bradleys better than he gets credit for. If Khan stays disciplined against Bradley and doesn't get involved in a scrap to early then their is only 1 winner for me Khan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:24 pm

Happy birthday for tomorrow Prettyboy!!!

Not sure I'll be on here
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:30 pm

He won't lose - not a chance in hell.

There. I said it. Feel free to quote that and beat me over the head with it if he does.

Which, of course, he won't.

I'm going to tentatively suggest this is an 8th round stoppage for Khan.

A bigger question is what happens if he doesn't win dominantly. I'd like to know how much the Maidana fight took out of him - but mostly - such wars tend to take more out of the loser than the victor. That's the only way I see an upset.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Happy birthday for tomorrow Prettyboy!!!

Not sure I'll be on here
thumbsup 🍺
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

oxring wrote:He won't lose - not a chance in hell.

There. I said it. Feel free to quote that and beat me over the head with it if he does.

A bigger question is what happens if he doesn't win dominantly. I'd like to know how much the Maidana fight took out of him - but mostly - such wars tend to take more out of the loser than the victor. That's the only way I see an upset.

Won't lose to McCloskey or a potential fight with Bradley?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:36 pm

Khan needs to win early if he wants a KO/TKO, McCloskey is known for coming on strong in the late rounds and Khan is the complete opposite.

I think Khan will win, if he doesnt get McCloskey out of there by the 8th Round, it could start to get seriously interesting.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:42 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:

McCloskey. Bradley would be a closer fight.

Happy birthday for tomorrow btw!
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:47 pm

i don't think it would affect his career much if he was to lose. the prescott fight didn't really hurt him and he's still young enough to bounce back if he did lose. especially if a quick rematch was made as somebodys already said. doubt he will lose, although i agree mccloskey is under appreciated and a great boxer.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:02 pm

oxring wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:

McCloskey. Bradley would be a closer fight.

Happy birthday for tomorrow btw!

Can't argue with that. Cheers mate but how did you and reborn know about my birthday?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:33 pm

i would have baked a cake if i'd known Smile

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 7:34 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i would have baked a cake if i'd known Smile

🍺
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 13 Apr 2011, 5:36 pm

If he lost his career would be in tatters.

McCloskey is supposed to be an interim fight prior to the big one with Bradley. Khan would have to start from scratch in the division near enough, maybe face Judah or Alexander, both tricky fights, to try and rebuild quickly as opposed to the slow, stragetic rebuild that occured post Prescott. There can be no excuses - unless McCloskey puts on a masterclass in which case you'd have to give him his dues.

I see lots of weaknesses in Khans game but I dont think PM has the tools to exploit them. He's the lesser man in just about every department when you look at size, speed, skill, reach, world level experience etc. so its hard to look past a Khan win. However I'm utterly convinced that Khans inability to cope with pressure, along with Bradleys physical strength and speed up close means that Bradley will stop Khan if/when they fight.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 14 Apr 2011, 12:18 am

khan is still only young, he has the best training camp, trainers, sparring partners etc. hes getting better all the time imo. where as someone such as bradley is set in his style, and doesnt change or adapt. i think if khan was to lose again he would recover, adapted and improve, where as someone like bradley (or any other fighter who has the same unchanging style) would struggle to change and move on. i think some fighters can take positives from a loss and use it to their advantage. besides 24-2 doesnt mean the end of a boxer. plenty of top level boxers have 2 or more losses on their record.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down