The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super XV wrap: Final pool standings.

+13
Rory_Gallagher
LondonTiger
Ozzy3213
emack2
doctor_grey
blackcanelion
Rob B
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
FerN
formerly known as Sam
Taylorman
Biltong
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Super XV wrap: Final pool standings. - Page 4 Empty Super XV wrap: Final pool standings.

Post by Biltong Mon 16 Jul 2012, 7:08 am

First topic message reminder :

So the pool rounds have come to an end and the final dye has been cast.

There were some upsets in the last pool rounds, with the Chiefs controversially going down to the Hurricanes with a last minute "try or no try" decision that would suggest the Chiefs were unlucky not to top the overall log.

The Blues dealt the death blow to Jake White's brave youngsters as they came up with only their 4th win of the season, to allow the door ajar for the Reds to top the Australian conference if they could beat the Waratahs who has been having their worst season since 2007.

Final Log without bye log points.
Spoiler:

Final Conference Log without bye log points.
Spoiler:

So in the first round of play offs the Sharks wil travel to play the Reds and the Bulls will travel to play the Crusaders.

Based on form, I would think the Bulls have little chance of upsetting the Crusaders at home, although it has to be said the Crusaders have shown some vulnerabilities this season. The Bulls have struggled all season to alter their attack against teams that match them physically in the pack.

The Sharks and Reds is harder to call, the Sharks would have had a better chance if Frans Steyn could be there, but due to the fact that he wasn't on the Sharks team roster at the beginning of the season, he is excluded from competing in the knock out rounds.

Stormer will have the week off and wait to see who they meet in the semi finals - Crusaders/Bulls
Chiefs will have the week off and wait to see who they meet in the semi finals - Reds/Sharks.

All to play for now.

I know I have been harping on how I don't like the conference system, but this season proves once again, the guaranteed spot in the play offs has aided the Reds who are in fact 6th on the log, to earn a home quarter final. PErhaps this needs to be revised, is it right to have a home quarter final against a team that is higher ranked than you?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Super XV wrap: Final pool standings. - Page 4 Empty Re: Super XV wrap: Final pool standings.

Post by Biltong Wed 25 Jul 2012, 7:30 am

EBOP, I don't think you want to mess with Reid outside of 8.I agree McCaw did well there, but currently Reid is the best 8 or at least the form 8 in world rugby.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Super XV wrap: Final pool standings. - Page 4 Empty Re: Super XV wrap: Final pool standings.

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:36 am

it was a slap sam, after he was bullied by higginbotham.

Nah Biltong, before the slap and the Higginbotham forearm. I can't find footage anywhere and I deleted it off my Sky+ box so sadly I can't take a second look. It was originally in the tackle with JP's right hand on the shirt which once in touch slipped up to the face and then pulled back towards him. Dunno if it was an attempted wind up, "look at the little winger who dragged you into touch" routine or something worse. The citing officials will have had a look at it by now so there must have been nothing in it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:27 pm

Yeah remember though that Read (note spelling) started as a 6 and only converted to 8 for the ABs.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

Huh, so we could have a Cane/Read/McCaw combo? Cane's still young/slight, but he'd be in good hands with those guys around. Cane still only playing a bench role for the chiefs, Rennie reckons 1/2 hr of game time. Must be a blance thing with the chiefs, Tanerau is more abrasive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4