The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Gatland the right man for the Lions?

+33
Taffineastbourne
PJHolybloke
Pot Hale
Rava
Feckless Rogue
Sin é
bedfordwelsh
funnyExiledScot
anotherworldofpain
maestegmafia
Barney McGrew did it
Luckless Pedestrian
mckay1402
Big
Biltong
red_stag
glamorganalun
pbuk0
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
mowgli
asoreleftshoulder
Casartelli
Morgannwg
tigertattie
Smirnoffpriest
doctor_grey
RuggerRadge2611
gowales
sugarNspikes
kiakahaaotearoa
Thomond
rodders
37 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Gatland the right man for the Lions? - Page 2 Empty Is Gatland the right man for the Lions?

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

First topic message reminder :

Since the summer series I'm having serious doubts about whether the Lions can win the series with Gatland at coach.

To be blunt I don't think Gatland has the nouse to put a team together to beat Australia.

He's turned Wales into the best, most powerful, organised, disciplined and structured team in the NH but that has been shown on 5 occaisions now not to be enough to beat Australia and even more times not enough to beat the SH teams..who wales play more than any other NH side at Gatlands behest.

This is not a criticism of Wales who have fantastic players, and I have huge respect for, but the way that Gatland has built the side and approaches the game.

As with Wasps, Wales are a team built on aggressive blitz defence, counterrattacking and physical superiority and when this is matched there is no plan B.

In the past 12 months the other NH teams haven't been able to match Wales physical intensity over 80 min, skill and offloading ability but the SH teams have shown they can, hence I can see Australia winning the series 2-1 with Gatland at the helm.

I'm not sure if there are alternatives though, with question marks over all the home nations international coaches right now.

Thoughts?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Is Gatland the right man for the Lions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Gatland the right man for the Lions?

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

Robbie Deans might be looking for the job by then!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Is Gatland the right man for the Lions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Gatland the right man for the Lions?

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:54 pm

I think the general sentiment is that Warren Gatland thoroughly deserves the job and by all accounts is going to get it, but that his appointment falls short of being inspiring.

I largely agree with this, and assuming Gatland does get the job, I think much will depend on the appointment of the coaches around him. The assumption would be that Howley, Edwards and Rowntree will be on board, after last time round, but personally I'd like to see a different panel, both to challenge Gatland and provide some fresh input from outside the Welsh set-up, particularly in attack where Wales have lacked some imagination.

In terms of players available, the Lions to my mind have an edge over Australia, particularly in the front five.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:56 pm

I don't think Howley would go, 1. he's pants as an attack coach(even if Gats likes him) but mainly 2. he's covering for Gats with Wales, and I'm not sure the WRU would want both concentrating on the Lions at the end of the 6Ns through to the summer.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 20 Jul 2012, 3:21 pm

Priest,

I for one hope he (Howley) does go that way he won't be left in charge of Wales (as rumoured) for the 6 Nations.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 3:29 pm

I thought it was only the head coach who needed signifcant time to concentrate on the Lions, I imagined that the other coaches would be able to join up after the 6Ns

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 20 Jul 2012, 3:32 pm

Damn, well can't tehy make as exception for Howley so he can go as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm

Lets hope so - although I do worry that I'm being a tad harsh on Howley, true we lost to Oz and our backs haven't shown too much flair (except the odd game like Ire 6Ns 2012) since he's been backs coach. But at the same time Gats looked awful from after the 08 GS until the pre2011 WC, and has suddenty hit a rich vein of form.

And against OZ, in spite of Warbs, Priestland and JD2 being injured and the 1st 2 being off form, and missing Ianto due a wedding/jet lag for the whole tour, we still only lost 2 games cruelly at the end, and the other game by 8/9 point. He could well improve like Gats and by the WC 2015 be the perfect man to take over the top job.

Or maybe it's just the drugs talking...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 20 Jul 2012, 5:02 pm

red_stag wrote:I think Gatland is without a doubt the right man for the job.

- He has worked in Ireland, England and Wales
- He has won the 6 Nations twice
- He has won the Heineken Cup
- He has won the Amlin Cup
- He has won the Premiership three times
- He has won the NPC Championship
- He has won the Anglo Welsh Cup
- He has been assistant coach on a Lions tour already
- He has been coaching in Britain and Ireland since 1994

I think having taken this summer off and given the reins to Rob Howley will have done him some good and given him a chance to step back from the team a bit.

Stag, that may be all well and good (Gatlands Record) THAT IS. But all that as been against NH teams. And they have all been played in the NH.

When Gatland first took charge of Wales, they went a won the Grand Slam. I truly believe that after winning the Grand alot of people, not just Wales people was expecting Gatland to take Wales to a higher level ( Winning against the SH teams.) But that has not happend in all this time. (Not in the SH anyway)

That is why i am asking With Wales not winning against the SH on SH turf. What makes you think that being in charge of the Lions this time around will make a difference to winning against the SH teams ?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul 2012, 5:43 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:

I think having taken this summer off and given the reins to Rob Howley will have done him some good and given him a chance to step back from the team a bit.

Stag, that may be all well and good (Gatlands Record) THAT IS. But all that as been against NH teams. And they have all been played in the NH.

When Gatland first took charge of Wales, they went a won the Grand Slam. I truly believe that after winning the Grand alot of people, not just Wales people was expecting Gatland to take Wales to a higher level ( Winning against the SH teams.) But that has not happend in all this time. (Not in the SH anyway)

That is why i am asking With Wales not winning against the SH on SH turf. What makes you think that being in charge of the Lions this time around will make a difference to winning against the SH teams ?

What are your options?

We could go the RFU route and employ Jonners just because he beat Aus in 2003....or lets try SCW again, he'll be free post Olympics and we all know what an exponent of lions rugby he is.

While i agree Gats has no SH provenance, he is the best we have.

Still think WRU may veto it after failure in Aus though

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:20 pm

Forget Gatland as head coach, just get back McGeechan, otherwise its going to end in tears because the Lions are not going to win it anyway.

I personally think the best aspect of the tour are the mid-week games - at least there is a bit of novelty about those. The top 8 teams meet far too often now to make it anyway interesting.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:07 pm

There's a lot of Geech worship in British and Irish rugby, which I don't go along with. Yes he has passion for the Lions, that's beyond doubt. But he made some major selection errors in the last tour. That Lions squad were good enough to win the series and they didn't.

I was all for giving the job to Johnson until the RWC discipline problems with England. I go along with Gatland now. He deserves it. I do worry about the fact that he's the Welsh head coach though. How will that effect his selections? It would be better if it was a top coach who isn't currently working for one of the four nations. But there aren't any other major candidates.

What club coaches would people like to see hypothetically? Mallinder? O'Shea? Schmidt?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:09 pm

Well it would have to be someone who has toured SH successfully and been an international coach who is free for the year

SCW

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:14 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:It would be better if it was a top coach who isn't currently working for one of the four nations. But there aren't any other major candidates.

What club coaches would people like to see hypothetically? Mallinder? O'Shea? Schmidt?
What a coaching set-up these guys would be. Make O'Shea top man and off we go. Don't want Schmidt because I want B&I coaches. How about Cockers????

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:37 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:There's a lot of Geech worship in British and Irish rugby, which I don't go along with. Yes he has passion for the Lions, that's beyond doubt. But he made some major selection errors in the last tour. That Lions squad were good enough to win the series and they didn't.

I was all for giving the job to Johnson until the RWC discipline problems with England. I go along with Gatland now. He deserves it. I do worry about the fact that he's the Welsh head coach though. How will that effect his selections? It would be better if it was a top coach who isn't currently working for one of the four nations. But there aren't any other major candidates.

I don't worship Geech at all! Just think the tears etc. goes down well on the old dvd (something I can't see gats doing Very Happy )

The major selection errors involved Gatland who was the forwards coach last time out.

Don't know how you could forget Eddie O'Sullivan. From all accounts he did very well as Clive's assistant (he was with the dirt trackers).

O'Shea has never been a Lion so he is out. That is one of the criterian now - to be head coach you need to have either toured as a player or as an assistant previously.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm

Sin é wrote:

O'Shea has never been a Lion so he is out. That is one of the criterian now - to be head coach you need to have either toured as a player or as an assistant previously.

Is that fact Sin or another of your fantasies? Whistle
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm

I dont think there needs to be a criteria stating your lions prowess. SCW toured as a lion and look at his interpretation...!

Everyone in the major rugby playing nations grows up knowing what the lions are about. It's one of the purest examples after the barbarians of the basic ethos of our sport. What rugby means to fans beyond the game.

Therefor any good coach should be able to qualify to take the tour.

Would you not rather see Joe Schmidt than Eddie O'Sullivan?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm

I think O'Shea would make a fantastic Lions Coach. He has bags of experience working at the highest level without any stigmas.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:19 pm

Conor O'Shea has been coaching for 18 months.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:21 pm

Its fact Rava, they said it when reviewing after the last Lions. The head coach has to have either toured with the Lions previously or worked as an assistant on one if at all possible.

Anyone who has only coached at club level hasn't a hope either.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:22 pm

Rava wrote:I think O'Shea would make a fantastic Lions Coach. He has bags of experience working at the highest level without any stigmas.

No he doesn't. He hasn't coached at international level.

(though its nice to read of a Munster man being held in high esteem for a change).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Conor O'Shea has been coaching for 18 months.

Conor O'Shea has held coaching/director of rugby roles for seven years.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:28 pm

Rava wrote:

He has coached for 18 months. Previously he held management jobs. He is doing very well at Quins, they were a good team, playing good rugby but he hasn't had the time in the job that other options have had. He hasn't proved his worth.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:29 pm

Sin é wrote:
Rava wrote:I think O'Shea would make a fantastic Lions Coach. He has bags of experience working at the highest level without any stigmas.

No he doesn't. He hasn't coached at international level.

(though its nice to read of a Munster man being held in high esteem for a change).

Typical cynicism from you but if you know my history you will see I have always been a fan of O'Shea's even if the IRFU haven't. I don't think his lack of International coaching experience would be a drawback.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Rava wrote:

He has coached for 18 months. Previously he held management jobs. He is doing very well at Quins, they were a good team, playing good rugby but he hasn't had the time in the job that other options have had. He hasn't proved his worth.

If you want to be pedantic then actually he has coached for 2 years and four months at Quins. Many Director of Rugby roles also include some element of coaching, as well you know.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:33 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I dont think there needs to be a criteria stating your lions prowess. SCW toured as a lion and look at his interpretation...!

Everyone in the major rugby playing nations grows up knowing what the lions are about. It's one of the purest examples after the barbarians of the basic ethos of our sport. What rugby means to fans beyond the game.

Graham Henry, by all accounts, an excellent coach, made a bags of the tour he was on.

Major thing is for the coach to be able to run a happy camp and get the team to gel quickly. Only international coaches have that kind of experience.

I don't think Joe Schmidt has the experience. Schmidt got a Heineken Cup winning team, who lost their first four league games when he took over - which suggests that his methods are not instantaneous.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm

I should say that I think Gatland is the best choice at the minute. Whether he can lead the Lions to a series win is another matter.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I dont think there needs to be a criteria stating your lions prowess. SCW toured as a lion and look at his interpretation...!

I know I'm a bit old fashioned but I'd rather see a British or Irish coach in charge.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Jul 2012, 11:17 pm

Rava wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Rava wrote:

If you want to be pedantic then actually he has coached for 2 years and four months at Quins. Many Director of Rugby roles also include some element of coaching, as well you know.
There is nothing pedantic in this at all.

The Lions need a coach not a Director of Rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:32 am

What about Dean Richards?

Any one think he would be a good Lions coach?

Or would the Blood gate Scandal go against him.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

I would love to see Richards in there as forwards coach.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:34 am

He'll have to prove himself with Newcastle first.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:27 am

Maybe the next Lions tour for Richards and if he does well at Newcastle or another club then he might be in the running to manage the next Lions.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 21 Jul 2012, 6:58 pm

Seems to me that Gatland is the best of a less than stellar selection for the post.

Does anyone believe he is the best man for the job in the way that Geech fans think he was the best on previous tours?

Gatland does not appear to be an inspiring coach - to fans anyway. I don't know how he's viewed by British and Irish players and whether he's the right man for the job. And that's what really counts. Can they be inspired sufficiently by this man to go to Australia and win this tour?

Anyone who thinks it should be a 3-0 whitewash needs to look again. Putting together a scratch test team in this modern era and hoping to prevail against an established professional side such as Australia ain't no easy thing.

However, the golden rule for these kind of tours is once the decision is made, that's it. Everyone has to get behind the coach and his team. It may well be that If Gatland is appointed, that it his coaching team that will be the real decider in whether the right kind of alchemy can be achieved to make this a winning formula.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:04 pm

Richards (in some capacity) could be a great choice for the next tour.

Assuming all goes ok with his return to coaching he's definitely got the hard-nosed personality and experience to take on the Lions challenge.

Gatland is a bit uninspiring but we are struggling for coaches with experience.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:20 pm

biltongbek wrote:
rodders wrote:
biltongbek wrote:The lasting memory for me about the Lions series in 1997 was scoring 3 tries to nil and losing the match. It was probably the most frustrated I have been until last year October.

Really Bilts?? I thought it might be whenever half the Boks team fell for that ridiculous dummy from Matt Dawson.... Whistle .... Run

you want me to have a talk with Ruan Pienaar? huh, huh?

A bit like 2009 for me Biltong, more tries, more points but lost the series on a very dodgy penalty... Whistle
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:30 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
rodders wrote:
biltongbek wrote:The lasting memory for me about the Lions series in 1997 was scoring 3 tries to nil and losing the match. It was probably the most frustrated I have been until last year October.

Really Bilts?? I thought it might be whenever half the Boks team fell for that ridiculous dummy from Matt Dawson.... Whistle .... Run

you want me to have a talk with Ruan Pienaar? huh, huh?

A bit like 2009 for me Biltong, more tries, more points but lost the series on a very dodgy penalty... Whistle

PJ a bit different outscoring a team by one try to lose a match to outscoring a team 3-0 in tries and losing. Wink

But my condolences all the same. kiss
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:41 pm

chin When the deciding Test should have seen one team playing 79 minutes with 14 players and that team won with a last minute dodgy penalty...

Meh, I'd say we're even. Hug
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jul 2012, 3:28 am

mowgli wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:

What are your options?

We could go the RFU route and employ Jonners just because he beat Aus in 2003....or lets try SCW again, he'll be free post Olympics and we all know what an exponent of lions rugby he is.

While i agree Gats has no SH provenance, he is the best we have.

Still think WRU may veto it after failure in Aus though

WTF? Mowgli questions Madge, but missed the glaringly obvious error. Tell me Madge, if all Gatland's success came in the NH, what the flip is the NPC?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jul 2012, 3:35 am

sugarNspikes wrote:Richards (in some capacity) could be a great choice for the next tour.

Assuming all goes ok with his return to coaching he's definitely got the hard-nosed personality and experience to take on the Lions challenge.

Stinks of a wind up and if it is Cyril, I'm going to engage you anyway to try draw a better post than that.

Firstly, assuming all goes ok with Richards' return? What warrants your assumption? Secondly, why is Gatland uninspiring? I'd rather get motivated by him than a person involved in a massive scandal that dragged Rugby Union through the mud.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jul 2012, 3:37 am

Rava wrote:I should say that I think Gatland is the best choice at the minute. Whether he can lead the Lions to a series win is another matter.

Always going to be that question over any chosen head coach

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 22 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:Richards (in some capacity) could be a great choice for the next tour.

Stinks of a wind up and if it is Cyril, I'm going to engage you anyway to try draw a better post than that.

Firstly, assuming all goes ok with Richards' return? What warrants your assumption? Secondly, why is Gatland uninspiring? I'd rather get motivated by him than a person involved in a massive scandal that dragged Rugby Union through the mud.
Re. Richards' return. I mean that he continues to show he's a very good coach and his time in the (relative) wilderness hasn't put him behind in terms of coaching style etc. He's had his punishment.

Gatland is uninspiring. His tactics can be effective but are fairly one-dimensional (not good against Aus as proven) and he tends to get people's backs up quite easily. It's all a bit meh, to be honest.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 22 Jul 2012, 8:04 pm

Gatland coaches Wales, therefore hated. Nuff said.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 22 Jul 2012, 8:06 pm

Hate is such a strong word.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:32 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Rava wrote:I should say that I think Gatland is the best choice at the minute. Whether he can lead the Lions to a series win is another matter.

Always going to be that question over any chosen head coach

Agree in full.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:08 pm

Howley always gives the impression of just having been smacked on the back of his head by a shovel.The thought of him running a whelk stall makes me shudder never mind our National team.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:18 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Gatland coaches Wales, therefore hated. Nuff said.

This is a hate free thread Morg ..... those that don't abide by this shall be exterminated zen guinness.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:19 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Howley always gives the impression of just having been smacked on the back of his head by a shovel.The thought of him running a whelk stall makes me shudder never mind our National team.

Why are you frightened he'd eat all the whelks?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 23 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Howley always gives the impression of just having been smacked on the back of his head by a shovel.The thought of him running a whelk stall makes me shudder never mind our National team.

Maybe he's frightened the Whelks will eat Howley Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 23 Jul 2012, 2:41 pm

Rava wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:

Maybe he's frightened the Whelks will eat Howley Wink

They'd have to be mutated whelks, and probably ill tempered too...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:44 pm

WG probably one of the best coaches to go to the SH. He knows what it takes to beat them more than a NH coach I would say. Nuff said really.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next