The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss.

+35
eirebilly
englandglory4ever
damage_13
Thomond
Trench Foot
Effervescing Elephant
beshocked
super_realist
anotherworldofpain
nganboy
ChequeredJersey
Morgannwg
gregortree
Biltong
Geordie
gowales
BigTrevsbigmac
emack2
Killer_B_6
aucklandlaurie
Rory_Gallagher
Barney McGrew did it
maestegmafia
Rava
Ozzy3213
Breadvan
sugarNspikes
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
mystiroakey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
disneychilly
majesticimperialman
HammerofThunor
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
mowgli
39 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss. Empty Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss.

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul - 18:34

Very Happy

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss. Empty Re: Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss.

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 20 Jul - 18:46

Do you care to back up your questions with some reasoning?

Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss. Empty Re: Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss.

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 20 Jul - 18:54

I mean, on the "no they won't side" you could argue that
- the club vs country battle in England hampers the international team's development, hamstringing them agaisnt the SH teams. And by the time they ever resolve that, Russia/Georgia/Timbuktu may have emerged as a force
-there's too many foreign players in key positions at English clubs, holding back development
- the English soccer team one a world cup, and has failed to do it again, and history can repeat.

While on the "yes they will" side there's
-England have more money and players than most nations, eventually the law of averages says a golden generation like the 2001-03 team will come along again somewhere down the line
-The problems in English rugby are fairly obvious, and even the "Old Farts" at the RFU can't keep stuffing up forever
-etc
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 20 Jul - 19:04

The deal the RFU has the clubs is comparable with the one WRU has with the regions. The England team gets together as long as the Welsh, Irish and Scottish do. At the moment the relationship between club and country is probably at a peak.

There are more English players starting in every position at the premiership clubs than there can possibly be at the Regions, Provinces and probably S15 sides (i.e. at least 4, mostly a fair bit more).

English football team haven't won it again YET. Isn't that the point? Will they win it again? Who says the football team won't ever again.

No such thing as the law of averages.

The old farts have ignored the obvious problems for a long time. Soon they'll be replaced by new guys, who will, by then, be old farts themselves.

Some good points there kiwi Whistle king

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 20 Jul - 19:41

[quote="mowgli"] Very Happy [/quote

Will Wales ever win the Rugby World Cup for the very first time? Whistle

Never mind will they ever win it again. Erm

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul - 19:46

[quote="majesticimperialman"]
mowgli wrote: Very Happy [/quote

Oh pure genius, your mum must be very proud! thumbsup clap

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 20 Jul - 20:15

[quote="mowgli"]
majesticimperialman wrote:
mowgli wrote: Very Happy [/quote

Oh pure genius, your mum must be very proud! thumbsup clap

Well atleast England have won the Rugby World Cup. thumbsup Ale

Just remind me when did Wales win it.....Oh wait they havent have they? picard

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul - 20:19

You are right i hadn't realised. Well done, have a gold star.

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 20 Jul - 20:21

Settle down. Both your teams are crap Run

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul - 20:31

Careful, i nearly choked on my ginger nut

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 20 Jul - 20:33

Yes, just to annoy Mowgli

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul - 20:48

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yes, just to annoy Mowgli

One thing i can say about your posts, they are utterly and reliably wearisome. You are right though, I can't think of any other reason why England will win, certainly not because of their talent thumbsup

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul - 20:51

so the latest wales v england thread- cant we just have the bickering thread back up- we all love a wales v england debate- lets just keep it centralised

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 20 Jul - 20:54

mowgli, I get the celtic solidarity thing, but honestly, your best response to yet another Hersh wum is simply to ignore the lad - he's like the smart-arse you knew at school all those years ago, ignore him and he will go away OK

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 20 Jul - 20:55

This mowgli character seems awfully familiar.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul - 20:56

is this the new...................

btw where is awop

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 20 Jul - 20:57

Lads, honestly, let's not bother going there Ale

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 20 Jul - 20:59

sugarNspikes wrote:This mowgli character seems awfully familiar.

Its not him. There's no daft poll to vote on...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul - 21:00

who is him?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 20 Jul - 21:02

Breadvan wrote:

Its not him. There's no daft poll to vote on...
Maybe he's evolving.

PS I am not casting nasturtiums Wink

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul - 21:06

Member since April....careful you don't hoist yourself by your own petard!

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 20 Jul - 21:14

mowgli wrote:

I was SafeAsMilk. I left (of my own volition) and came back 'cos I couldn't keep away! Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul - 21:15

sugarNspikes wrote:
mowgli wrote:

I was SafeAsMilk. I left (of my own volition) and came back 'cos I couldn't keep away! Smile

i wish i'd known you before you curdled

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 20 Jul - 21:15

mystiroakey wrote:who is him?

That censored who changed his username every two weeks. Spot his writing style a mile away...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 20 Jul - 21:16

mowgli wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:
mowgli wrote:

i wish i'd known you before you curdled
Oh, I think we've crossed paths once or twice chum.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 20 Jul - 21:16

mowgli wrote:

Account created in April but didn't start posting until June, the 18th to be precise...

mowgli wrote:Morning everyone

I am new to the forum so will mind my ps and qs

The Welsh had a sign up in the dressing room about talent winning games and intelligence winning championships, press today refers to emotional intelligence and composure. SCW refers to the TCUP princicple. It seems to me that intelligence and decision making is the key to Wales loss; Hibberd's sole contribution was to stand off the maul until the Aussies were within range and collapse it while Priestland decides that, on the basis that possession of the ball is the best way to prevent the opposition scoring, he would kick it to them instead of retaining it.

Seems 'intelligence' is the main gap and Wales achilles heel (not window cleaning)
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul - 21:18

oh lol your safe as milk- I like it when people admit how they are!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 20 Jul - 21:18

Ozzy, I think he was talking about me joining in April Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 20 Jul - 21:20

mystiroakey wrote:oh lol your safe as milk- I like it when people admit how they are!!!
Yep, sadly I couldn't go cold turkey from 606v2 so came back into the fold. It's a terrible affliction Shocked

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 20 Jul - 21:20

Ah fair enough Sugar.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul - 21:24

yeah I know the feeling dude i haver been chatting on these boards from before it was 606 on bbc- cant even remember what it was called back then- i sometimes go away for afew months but i keep coming back!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 20 Jul - 21:25

My answer to the original question - No But!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Jul - 21:28

sugarNspikes wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:oh lol your safe as milk- I like it when people admit how they are!!!
Yep, sadly I couldn't go cold turkey from 606v2 so came back into the fold. It's a terrible affliction Shocked

So why change your name on when you came back?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul - 21:29

Its ok he changed it by dipol- its all above board

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 20 Jul - 21:30

maestegmafia wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

Currently it's my favourite Captain Beefheart song. Back then it was Safe As Milk Cool

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 20 Jul - 22:50

mowgli

Will England ever win the World Cup again.

Now i am sure this is a WUM from the start. But, may be just maybe England do not win another Rugby World Cup.

It will not matter at all. Why I hear you say?

Because England is the only NH team can actualy BRAG about being able to win a rugby world cup. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Fri 20 Jul - 23:08

maestegmafia wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

Whistle monkey
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul - 23:18

majesticimperialman wrote:mowgli

Will England ever win the World Cup again.

Now i am sure this is a WUM from the start. But, may be just maybe England do not win another Rugby World Cup.

It will not matter at all. Why I hear you say?

Because England is the only NH team can actualy BRAG about being able to win a rugby world cup. thumbsup

if it is a WUM you certainly seem unable to ignore it and you certainly like to brag...its a bit like Italy bragging about Roman military power...hardly relevant except that the tendency to surrender given half a chance does seem to have something in common with English RWC rugby of late.

But anyway that's boring, keep it up lad you're doing a splendid job of repeating yourself time and again...actually we are all aware of said fact hence my question but the fact is England are on a very downward curve, you can actually plot their progress downwards cup by cup...whereas the Welshies are on a very upward curve.

thumbsup

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 20 Jul - 23:22

..despite losing 3-0 to Australia and England managing the draw against SA. Doh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 20 Jul - 23:27

We'll all find out at the end of the year how far up the very upward curve Wales are when they play the ABs.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer_B_6 Sat 21 Jul - 0:00

1(1) NEW ZEALAND 91.43
2(2) AUSTRALIA 87.05
3(3) SOUTH AFRICA 84.87
4(4) ENGLAND 83.09
5(5) FRANCE 83.03
6(6) WALES 82.26

This must hurt you. Upward curve!

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 21 Jul - 0:04

How in gods name could that upward curve hurt anyone?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Sat 21 Jul - 0:12

I am specifically referring to the RWC...I suggest you read my post again. I couldn't give a monkey's chuff about rankings, they are meaningless unless you are No 1.

By my calculations England will not get out of their group in 2015

2003- win (in case anyone wasn't aware)
2007 - flnal - lost
2011 - quarter - lost
2015 - group qualification unlikely

oh dear

Oh and for those that take any comfort in a draw v SA or think it is indicative of any progress, fill your boots. I wonder where that fits into the strategic objectives?

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 21 Jul - 0:13

Please not another England v Wales sledging match ,one could point out that England.Under Geoff Cooke,and Jack Rowell ,also Dick Best were all good periods for England beside Sir Clives team.Indeed there win stats were better than SCW`s.[Not Dick Best`s].The England set up is part of the problem if you take a squad as 40 per club.That is 480 players available for England if you say 80 are overseas players not available.The Pool is still twice as big as the big 3 SH sides built on Super Franchises.So you have to sift harder,also all clubs do not sing from the same song sheet.Take NZ there 5 Super Sides will play a similar game plan to the AllBlacks.On ce England has an established Coaching team and a established Squad of about 40 players. You now have the basis of a RWC squad fromthen on it is down to coahs and players to be good enough to win it again.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 21 Jul - 0:28

mowgli wrote:I am specifically referring to the RWC...I suggest you read my post again. I couldn't give a monkey's chuff about rankings, they are meaningless unless you are No 1.

By my calculations England will not get out of their group in 2015

2003- win (in case anyone wasn't aware)
2007 - flnal - lost
2011 - quarter - lost
2015 - group qualification unlikely

oh dear

Oh and for those that take any comfort in a draw v SA or think it is indicative of any progress, fill your boots. I wonder where that fits into the strategic objectives?

You are unwise to dismiss the rankings as they will have an important factor in the WC draw in December.

But I guess that didn't fit into your in depth analysis of the WC Shocked

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 21 Jul - 0:30

Mowgli

In so far as predicting the future fortunes of The RWC, I would strongly recommend that you look at the World rankings. The top four countries as far as I can remember happen to be the only four countries to have won it.

In so far as the ranking being meaningless unless you are number one, try and tell that to the ASussies and South Africans.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Sat 21 Jul - 0:34

Yes i know Bigtrev and i stand corrected on that point. other than that i have to say i think arguing over the scraps of who is 4th or 6th in the rankings and who scraped a draw in the spring as some sort of superiority, is foolish and indicative of desperation

however shallow my in depth analysis of RWC may appear it is nevertheless entirely accurate

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 21 Jul - 1:37

Mowgli,England in 2003 were at the end of being the best side in the World they deserved the RWC but it was a close run thing.2007 was a complete surprise ,2007 was the most bizarre RWC ever England in the intervening years were dreadful.2011 up until the RWC England were looking compartively good with Martin Johnson in charge.Toby Flood pulling the strings and the team was progressing,come the RWC.England went into RWC mode stick it up your jumper and Jonny back to kick the points in the important matches.That was never going to be enough in NZ and potentially meeting the All Blacks.
A lot will depend on who is in there group come the end of the year they may well end up the 4th seed.Since as far as I can remember they have never failed to reach the knock out stage to date.To say they won`t in 2015, 4 years away is a brave prediction.Get around to Paddy Power and put £10 pounds down and see what odds you get around 50-1 at least if your prediction comes off you will be £500 the richer.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 21 Jul - 7:18

emack2 wrote:Please not another England v Wales sledging match

the current olympic womens skeleton bob champion is english, we would win that

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 21 Jul - 8:00

This thread picard

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next