The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss.

+35
eirebilly
englandglory4ever
damage_13
Thomond
Trench Foot
Effervescing Elephant
beshocked
super_realist
anotherworldofpain
nganboy
ChequeredJersey
Morgannwg
gregortree
Biltong
Geordie
gowales
BigTrevsbigmac
emack2
Killer_B_6
aucklandlaurie
Rory_Gallagher
Barney McGrew did it
maestegmafia
Rava
Ozzy3213
Breadvan
sugarNspikes
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
mystiroakey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
disneychilly
majesticimperialman
HammerofThunor
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
mowgli
39 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss. - Page 2 Empty Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss.

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul 2012, 6:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Very Happy

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss. - Page 2 Empty Re: Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss.

Post by mowgli Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:22 am

gowales wrote:This thread picard

is a thing of beauty!! laughing

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss. - Page 2 Empty Re: Will England ever win the World Cup again. Discuss.

Post by mystiroakey Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:28 am

so mowglisdude- who were you before ?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:04 pm

Of course England will win another World Cup...infact 2015's in the bag.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:12 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Of course England will win another World Cup...infact 2015's in the bag.

Red faces all around at the sru then

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:16 pm

We heard it here first, England 2015 WC chumpions

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:31 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:oh lol your safe as milk- I like it when people admit how they are!!!
Yep, sadly I couldn't go cold turkey from 606v2 so came back into the fold. It's a terrible affliction Shocked

So why change your name on when you came back?
Post deleted

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 21 Jul 2012, 5:02 pm

SugarNspikes, Adam D has recently written an announcement that previous identity accusations will not be tolerated.

Please desist immediately.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat 21 Jul 2012, 5:08 pm

biltong old chap,

maesteg asked me why I changed my username. I wasn't accusing him of anything. It just seemed apt to reminisce.

I will endeavour to stay in the present Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 21 Jul 2012, 5:29 pm

Thanks old chap. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:53 pm

Mods... quick ... Restart that old dedicated bickering thread to draw all the flame into one big heap which we can then avoid ? .. thanks

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:57 pm

I was considering that earlier in the week to be honest, but they naturally spread like a wild fire in a hurricane, so doubt it would work. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

I have asked that question many times..

what about an off topic thread- like the one on the golf forum.

wouldnt that work, it works well there

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

yes Wink sadly true

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:00 pm

We used to have a bickering thread,but it didn't contain the fallout.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:01 pm

the bickering thread was good though- i dont even know how it ended

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:03 pm

With a bicker. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm

The thread went into extra extra time, then penalties, then everyone lost, the crowd got bored, and went to the bar to refresh, Ale bickering continued there.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 22 Jul 2012, 2:38 am

Never. Not a chance in hell! I set them the target of getting out of the group stages in 2015 in Morg's strategic plan. What was I thinking. I suppose if I said qualification was highly unlikely I would just get called a WUM.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:22 pm

Yes you heard it here first....England WILL win the 2015.

All the other teams cant improve much...but will will improve out of sight...

Walk in the park. And i will laugh so hard...for the rest of the rugby world will be devastated...England the most hated team .......with two world cups.... laughing

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:33 pm

Frankly I'll be amazed if we drop a game from now until then, GF Doh
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm

Oh, that was meant to be a whistle smiley. Stupid iphone
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

Absolutely CJ....pointless any other teams turning up....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

In fact, I'll be upset if we concede a point
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 22 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

Again so true....although it might be decent to let a couple of teams get a few points....just to give them a little bit of unrealistic hope...you know a couple of deliberate penalties..just to let little Carter get a couple of kicks....etc

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun 22 Jul 2012, 1:37 pm

England are so good that there’s not one single non-English qualified player in the world who would get into this England side. If England were to play the Lions, a Lions’ team that will be comprised of just English players because they’re the best, England would still muller the Lions. England will win the next world cup by fielding an U14 side (in order to give the English big boys a rest ready to win the next one). Great Britain is only great because England are in it. For RWC ’15 England are going to adopt “Nobody does it better” by Carly Simon as their new anthem.

music Nobody does it better
Makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody does it half as good as us
Baby, we're the best music

Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 22 Jul 2012, 3:20 pm

England are the best
better than all the rest
better than anyone
anyone if ever meet

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 23 Jul 2012, 2:54 am

Hey!
England take the number 1 ranking and the RWC and the most hated title off the ABs.
Not fair.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 23 Jul 2012, 5:44 am

nganboy wrote:Hey!
England take the number 1 ranking and the RWC and the most hated title off the ABs.
Not fair.

nganboy

Any team take any title off the Abs. It is not fair. right? Shocked

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:23 am

na just England
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:26 am

we gave ya the game, but you are trying to take that title

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:51 am

Well, ENG are certainly do everything possible to make the best chance!

First, the IRB is convinced by the high roller RFU that all world cup hosting must be "financial viable" and the crtieria they make about what this means seems to imply it get hosted or joint-hosted in ENG 75% of all times.

Second, the IRB is convinced to throw out a lot of ELVs and keep the game base to the set piece orientation and not going too quickly. This matching to the style of ENG combinators since professional days and before.

Third, we now get more props to the bench to unlikely moreso the chance of uncontested scrummages so the idea is again play to traditional ENG strength.

Do I complain about this? No is just some clever lobby action by the powerful union. Personally is not my style of game and I would prefer see more laws clean up to speeding the breakdown and less confusing and make the scrum easier to referee by remove the "hit" and replace more restarts to free-kick instead of scrum. But my point is just about ENG have the powerful union from a lot of deep pockets so I think they make their own best chance than say, Samoa, who can't lobby the rule changes or host the tournament.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:55 am

Will England ever win again? Probably, winning the world cup can't be taken that seriously , nor is it that great an achievement in a sport that is only contended at the top level by a few countries.

So yes, they probably will.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:58 am

Did you mean "Contested by" or you really meant "contended by"?

And please explaining the logic about how the number of teams playing at the top level influence the likely of winning the world cup? Even if there is only two teams doesn't mean there is a 50% chance of win. You still have to being the best. If it was easy because few countries then somebody like China could join and win it next time? Is this your argument?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:01 am

England are really good at singing, much better than us, we're rubbish!

Also, the IRB with the 4 second rule at base of scrum seems counter productive to the English game. How'd they let that get through?

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:08 am

Well they losing to Wales when Wales did this EBOP! Simple!

But also the 4 second rule is bad one because it another "referee discretion" when the 4 second count begin. We will see another NH/SH bicker about this because all SH referees will start counting earlier.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:15 am

Don't start on that silly conspiracy theory stuff AWOP.
NZ is generally excellent at the set piece (well may be not that flash at lineouts but ok). We have forwards that are rarely beaten up and hold their own in the scrum. Uncontested scrums has never helped the ABs.
The ELVs are voted on by the whole IRB. So what you are saying is the exact opposite of what a lot of silly NH fans went on about when they were trialled.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:17 am

Not conspiracy Nganbody, is about true. RFU have power in the IRB and they can use the power to improve the chance. That's not conspiracy, it's capitalism.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:41 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:Did you mean "Contested by" or you really meant "contended by"?

And please explaining the logic about how the number of teams playing at the top level influence the likely of winning the world cup? Even if there is only two teams doesn't mean there is a 50% chance of win. You still have to being the best. If it was easy because few countries then somebody like China could join and win it next time? Is this your argument?

What I mean is that there are only perhaps 5 countries who could ever win it,(SA, NZ, Aus, Eng and France) due to the ROW not being great Rugby Playing nations, so I'm not saying that China could win it, obviously they couldn't, but the strength in depth of the World Cup is not great, too many truly appalling teams and matches (Georgia, Uganda, Russia, Canada etc) so with only 5 teams capable of winning, then of course, England have a good chance of winning again in the future, although you'd have to say France aside, England's chances are probably the most remote.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:46 am

mystiroakey wrote:we gave ya the game, but you are trying to take that title

no you gave up the game and we took it of you
Just like in The Godfather

mumble mumble Rugby must be taken it is never given mumble mumble or something like that
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:04 am

super_realist wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:Did you mean "Contested by" or you really meant "contended by"?

What I mean is that there are only perhaps 5 countries who could ever win it,(SA, NZ, Aus, Eng and France) due to the ROW not being great Rugby Playing nations, so I'm not saying that China could win it, obviously they couldn't, but the strength in depth of the World Cup is not great, too many truly appalling teams and matches (Georgia, Uganda, Russia, Canada etc) so with only 5 teams capable of winning, then of course, England have a good chance of winning again in the future, although you'd have to say France aside, England's chances are probably the most remote.

It's some bad argument. It doesn't make the RWC easier to win. In fact it makes it harder to win.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:20 am

awop its kinda obvious that the less competition out there the more chance any nation has of being the best or winning a cup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:26 am

True, if all teams were of equal calibre. Most teams at the football WC are just making up numbers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:45 am

But it does improve the romance of the competition when rank outsiders and no hopers like Argentina and Wales make the semi finals.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:49 am

England will win the RWC again, at some point the cards will fall in place, it is foolish to think it won't happen.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:53 am

biltongbek wrote:England will win the RWC again, at some point the cards will fall in place, it is foolish to think it won't happen.

Well said. thumbsup

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:04 am

How do fewer good teams in a tournament make it harder to win? Headscratch

Chances are all the top teams are going to make the semi's if on form.

The tournament is pretty much a procession up to that point. They should just have the top 8 teams playing from there, Rugby isn't a big enough "sport" to hold a true World Cup.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:12 am

super_realist wrote:How do fewer good teams in a tournament make it harder to win? Headscratch

The tournament is pretty much a procession up to that point. They should just have the top 8 teams playing from there, Rugby isn't a big enough "sport" to hold a true World Cup.

I notice you put sport in quotation marks when refering to rugby. Why do you consider that necessary? Do you consider, say, golf to be more of a sport than Rugby? If you don't like a sport why bother to come on to that forum at all? Bit childish really.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Trench Foot Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:16 am

mowgli wrote:I am specifically referring to the RWC...I suggest you read my post again. I couldn't give a monkey's chuff about rankings, they are meaningless unless you are No 1.

By my calculations England will not get out of their group in 2015

2003- win (in case anyone wasn't aware)
2007 - flnal - lost
2011 - quarter - lost
2015 - group qualification unlikely

oh dear

Oh and for those that take any comfort in a draw v SA or think it is indicative of any progress, fill your boots. I wonder where that fits into the strategic objectives?

I don't understand the point of this article because Wales hardly covered themselves in world cup glory 2003 - 2011. And you can't predict that either Wales or England will fail to qualify from the 2015 group stages.

What is this all about?

Trench Foot

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:19 am

super_realist wrote:

Yep all 5 of them Erm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:36 am

Peter, not sure England are a top team, so wouldn't be one of the top five on current form.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next