The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
JAS
oldparwin
Slowride
hend085
princedracula
goldwolf
pedro
Skydriver
Lairdy
Bob_the_Job
raycastleunited
Hibbz
barragan
incontinentia
dynamark
Plunky
Doon the Water
lorus59
SmithersJones
Shotrock
McLaren
kwinigolfer
4putt
Fader
navyblueshorts
Tiler76
1GrumpyGolfer
Diggers
super_realist
mystiroakey
34 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Btw Fader 25 is fine anyway- your in the healthy scale so either way its no dramas at all mate!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by barragan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:34 am

fantastic ! Murray djokavic era can now begin

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:52 am

BBC's SPOTY might be difficult to call this year...

Out of curiosity, I would like to know what A Murray's answer will be when he will inevitably be asked whether the London Olympic gold or first grand slam victory at the US Open means "more" to him (presumably first Wimbledon final will now be relegated to a footnote on his fantastic year). The O2 will be rocking at the ATP Finals in a few months!

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:03 am

SPOTY will be great if the BBC don't lily liver it up like in recent years.

Farah, Wiggins, Murray, Ennis, Weir, McIlroy (less so) all in with a great shout.

There should be no mention of football.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:28 am

Interestingly, football has had fewer winners than Formula One and Athletics, and only the same number as boxing. Makes sense as it's a team sport and thus harder to be seen as a personal achievement:

Athletics 17
Formula One 6
Football 5
Boxing 5
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:47 am

the coverage of wiggins winning the tour was far louder than murrays quiet ride to his maiden slam which ironically in this country has been the least hyped of his 3 main achievements this year. had murray won wimbledon / gold and the us he'd have had a great shout.
top 3 i expect: wiggins - murray - ennis / farah
murray would be my choice.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:01 am

even if mcilroy wins every tournament he enters, wins the fedex, scores 5pts in the rc, hole s the winning putt and wins the r2d... he'll finish behind wiggins in spoty . that's how aunty works her propaganda - you can be certain at the very least that it will be an olympian who takesthe top prize.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:59 am

That's daft. If an Olympian wins it'll be because the voters make it so and not because of the BBC's 'propaganda'. They get to reveal the shortlist, as is their right (it's their award after all), but thereafter it's the voters who decide - unless you know otherwise that is....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:06 am

What about Paul Scholes? He really turned around man utds season in 11/12 and made all the difference against southampton a couple of weeks back.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:09 am

Who cares Mac, they won F.A this year. I suspect you are being ironic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

Agree with pretty much all comments on SPOTY (and had same/similar thoughts) - including the possibility that Paul Scholes could follow Ryan Giggs in winning the popular vote as an appreciation of his career [v unlikely though I think].

I'd add that I think it will count against Wiggins that fellow [road] cyclist Cavendish won last year. I'm sure some people will deliberately vote for a different sport. Expect Ennis / Farah to suffer split vote (which might happen to Wiggins as well come to think of it if Hoy is also in the frame)... so at the moment, I do rather fancy Murray's chances.

Whatever happens, there will be a heck of a lot more British sportspeople with MBEs and OBEs in the New Year...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:57 am

McLaren wrote:What about Paul Scholes? He really turned around man utds season in 11/12 and made all the difference against southampton a couple of weeks back.

are you having a laugh?
he wont be in the top 50

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:05 pm

No hend, I am not "having a laugh". What makes you think I would be?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:38 pm

paul scholes coming off the bench for 20minutes to play well against Southampton vs Chris Hoy winning a rake of Olympic medals or Mo Farah doing the 5k and 10k double or Rory Mc winning 4 times in US including a major........ or Wiggins or some of the paralympians etc etc
also the fact that Paul Scholes has approximatley zero personality might count against him in th sports "personality" poll.
betfair have about 120 people listed on their menu and he is nowhere to be seen. if you wanted into paddy power they would probably give you 500/1 or more and you would still be getting ripped off!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:50 pm

He's ginger anyway and therefore not up for consideration.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:58 pm

super_realist wrote:He's ginger anyway and therefore not up for consideration.

good point,youd prob get 1000/1 to in paddy power so.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:17 pm

super_realist wrote:He's ginger anyway and therefore not up for consideration.
I shouldn't...but Laugh.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:07 pm

I wondered how long it would be before the heart attack in waiting Alex Salmond would start trying to cash in on Murray's success.

Newsflash you big fat oaf. He doesn't represent Scotland.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:15 pm

SPOTY - Seb Coe
Team - Gamesmakers
International SPOTY Usain Bolt.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:16 pm

Were you touting that theory on 5 live this morning?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:26 pm

No, I wouldn't go on radio. I thought about it yesterday before the parade was on. If Seb doesn't get the SPOTY does the BBC still do the Lifetime achievement? If so he might get that.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:01 pm

If seb coe is in with a chance then surely so does carrick?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:03 pm

McLaren. If you do try wind ups, at least make them believable.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:51 am

Maybe Seb Coe should get "Manager of the Year" - after all Monty got that one a couple of years back?

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:26 pm

Has anyone seen the Kate topless photo's? Call me sad, but i cant wait to get home.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:30 pm

What will your "girlfriend" say Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:26 pm

McLaren wrote:Has anyone seen the Kate topless photo's? Call me sad, but i cant wait to get home.
Sad? Yep.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

McLaren wrote:Has anyone seen the Kate topless photo's? Call me sad, but i cant wait to get home.

Do you not have Kleenex in work Mac?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:49 pm

Can I post this here ? Clearly its in the public interest...
tinyurl.com/9lwnoft
tinyurl.com/8d2s2kg

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 14 Sep 2012, 7:35 pm

Navy

You not even a little curious?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Sep 2012, 7:47 pm

Mac, the internet is full of jubblies.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:20 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

You not even a little curious?
In all honesty, maybe a bit but I'm certainly not going to go looking for them. She's a striking woman, or at least can be, but she's a little skinny for me in all honesty. If I want to oggle at some jubblies, for me there's better around TBH.
In addition, this kind of 'journalism' makes me sick as well and I can hardly rant about it if I'm feeding the beast now can I?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 18 Sep 2012, 9:59 am

Oh dear Laugh. Romney scores a spectacular own goal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19631430

Comment from BBC HYS which is fantastic:

Mitt Romney: Born on third base, but thinks he hit a triple.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:26 am

I really wish those sorts of sentiments would harm his chances but being as blunt as that about people who try to “scrounge” of the state has probably done his chances no harm at all.

I don’t fully understand how people can be undecided in this presidential race as the parties/candidates represent polar opposites in terms of policy (of course ignoring that obamacare is basically a copy of Romneycare). By now you must know whether you want something vaguely resembling a healthcare system and “reasonable” social care or whether you want to pay no taxes and see the unfortunates of the world suffer even more. I just don’t see how swing voters exist in such a black and white world?

I am often told by my American friends that there are nuances beyond the bigger issues (and I am reminded that I don’t understand them), but it is hard to see how these nuances can overshadow a decision which involves matters as important as access to healthcare or nations getting bombed?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:35 am

There's a lot of people in this country who vote Labour for the same reason Mac.
I won't hazard a guess at the population, but Labour are much more lenient on dole cheats and ne'er do wells than anyone else.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:41 am

Super, have you missed the point again?

I clearly don’t think these people are dole cheats. I see it as a vital line of support for the most vulnerable in our society. So the point being, how can Americans be undecided when they face the choice of supporting the lower end of the socio-economic scale or not supporting them?

It seems like an easy choice.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:46 am

I know Mac, merely that the particular persuasion of politics favours parties to the left of centre.

I don't think they are dole cheats either (although some might be), but that the poor are more closely allied to the left.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:58 pm

Romney's an idiot.

navy,
Don't know what the BBC HYS is, but that is a repeat of Ann Richards talking about George Bush the older:
"Poor George, he was born on third base and thought he'd hit a triple."
"He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth" etc.

I can't get enough of lines like that about the Bushies, usually emanted from the now sadly silent voices of Ann Richards and Molly Ivins.

Be wary about some of these Republican wallies; for every American who considers this sort of stuff deplorable, there's another that says "right on" and coughs up another $1K for their campaign. Same with immigration, health care etc etc etc.

Republican bases are by and large the States with highest poverty, lowest life expectancy, feeblest education, worst health care, and are the least integrated. Morons.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:09 pm

Kwini, you do seem to have a complex with parts of the American society? Living in America I would assume that you would know that "taking care of yourself" is what the nation was built on. In that respect it can not be compared to Europe. It might be that times have changed and that the mentality is outdated, but it is still an integral part of their society. Similarly you also still see many Britons and French with an imperialistic, arrogant and narcissitic attitude, both towards the 3rd world but also just towards neighbours in Europe - whether that attitude being outspoken or latent. That can hardly be changed, even if time changes. Only the Germans seem to have become more modest lately...

I defo don't agree with how US society runs, and as you I also think many republican politicians are extremists, but I recognise it and also have to respect that America is the no.1 country in the world where immigrants would want to live the most (as per various polls). Although we often hear otherwise, America is also one of the most tolerant and least racist countries in the western world (also as per various polls).

As for republican states being poorer (primarily great plains, west and deep south I guess), that is probaly true. But is it the chicken or the egg? Hard core capitalism is what creates most wealth, but obvioulsy also has some neagtive social implications. So the poverty situation in the repuclican states is probably also due to relatively little industrialisation, lots of farm land - combined with a historically very large poor black population, at least in the deep south (traditionally voting democrat though). And in general I would argue that no matter where you go in the western world, the country side will always be more right wing, just as areas with high population desity always will be more leftish.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Romney's an idiot.

navy,
Don't know what the BBC HYS is, but that is a repeat of Ann Richards talking about George Bush the older:
"Poor George, he was born on third base and thought he'd hit a triple."
"He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth" etc.

I can't get enough of lines like that about the Bushies, usually emanted from the now sadly silent voices of Ann Richards and Molly Ivins.

Be wary about some of these Republican wallies; for every American who considers this sort of stuff deplorable, there's another that says "right on" and coughs up another $1K for their campaign. Same with immigration, health care etc etc etc.

Republican bases are by and large the States with highest poverty, lowest life expectancy, feeblest education, worst health care, and are the least integrated. Morons.
Looks like it'll only get worse for Romney. It's a bit of a concern with those red wallies isn't it?

Pedro

'The American Dream' was a great bit of PR wasn't it? Every man for himself may work in certain situations but I'm not sure it works once a country reaches a certainly level of prosperity. The hysterical thing for me is the knee-jerk trotting out of the 'socialist' rants every time someone mentions that maybe it'd be a good idea to actually have a bit of compassion for the others in society not so fortunate as oneself.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Sep 2012, 4:13 pm

pedro,
A lot going on there so won't have a go at the lot.
But I've lived here for almost all of the past 36 years and deplore so much about "America", mainly its intolerance and conservatism, that I'll never become a citizen.
Wouldn't surpise me at all if we see a Civil War if some of the Paul Ryan-types get more power here. Their mantra about the less well-off seems to be "let's keep it that way". "Occupy" movements spoke a lot of sense although I personally wouldn't support them - would prefer to be FOR something than mindlessly against everything.

The dividing lines here are largely geographical with the north-east and central northern States, plus the Pacific West being Dems, the south, south-east, Rockies and all the "heartland" being fiercely Republican.

Trouble is, the States that largely vote democrat are subsidising the rest of the country, especially with things like oil/farm subsidies, defence spending, etc etc etc.

As they get wealthier they attract job-hunters from the north and west so that we are largely subsidising a migration, not just of jobs, but of population, Congressional representation and, hence, power.

Broad generalisations there but largely true, and most Americans don't see it.

Nothing against America, just that it doesn't represent my values.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 18 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:...Wouldn't surpise me at all if we see a Civil War if some of the Paul Ryan-types get more power here...
I nearly mentioned that but wondered if it could ever happen. Frankly been a little surprised we haven't seen more disorder - maybe we will in future.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 18 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

Seems he isn't a fan of Palestinians either.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 18 Sep 2012, 8:42 pm

Kwin - Interesting insights, much of which I agree with. But not all - as you might imagine. (I'm sure we share some very common ground politically.)

One thing I think we do a terrible job of is managing social programs: welfare, medicare, etc. Leads to knee-jerk reactions to wipe away much of what those programs do - most of it good and very necessary.

But I'm a very big proponent of a meritocracy. An "ideal" to be sure, but having a chance to win big comes with losing big. Which I think you should be able to do. If I open a Pizza Parlor and fail, you'll hear nothing but "it's the American way". If I have a family farm and fail, should I be continuously infused with what is essentially welfare?

Much of the future will be in its ability to adjust, not stand on silly dogma or tradition. I'm optimistic (which might be where we don't share common ground!).

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Sep 2012, 9:06 pm

Sr,
Couldn't care less about family farms (well, I could because I applaud each and every well-run one of them), what I'm talking about is the mega-subsidies to the multi-mega farms, largely in the Mid-West, and the ADM, ConAgra, Cargill monopolies.

I thought he was a terrible Senator, but DPMoynihan had great insights about the distribution of wealth in the US - sure we'd agree about 95% of what he had to say.

We (in VT) can count ourselves fortunate to be as enlightened as any as far as values and ideals are concerned; really hope our health-care efforts can help transform the economy of the State and, thence, at least some open-minded neighbors; otherwise, gawd help us!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:21 am

Norman Tebbit - could he be more of a pillock? Once a c0ck, always a c0ck it would seem:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19643846
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:57 am

I agree with your opinion of him Navy but I suspect that if there were a referendum on the issue the majority would agree with him....which is why successive govts refuse to have one. Not that I do by the way, in fact I doubt I agree with anything he has said or done.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:06 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Norman Tebbit - could he be more of a pillock? Once a c0ck, always a c0ck it would seem:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19643846

What's happened in Manchester is terrible but if we as a nation have learned anything over recent weeks and months it's that our police are far from worthy of special treatment.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:15 am

It's the last quoted words that get me - as if it's OK to stretch the necks of the odd innocent person as long as we make sure criminals have their eyes popped out and bowels voided as well.
Anyway, he looks pretty old now so hopefully he'll shuffle off himself and I won't have to put up with a has-been talking cr@p. I suspect he has a dark secret which is that he'd actually like to be a hangman. Cretin.

Digs

One would hope that prior to any referendum everyone would be asked what they would think if one of their relatives (or even themselves) were sentenced to die when they were innocent. The idea that Tebbit proposes that juries would mitigate for mistakes is utter nonsense.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:18 am

Be interesting to see whether this changes the debate about police carrying guns. Would he have been so keen to make the call if the two officers had been armed, who knows, possibly in this case as he gave himself up after he'd shot them maybe it would have been a deterrent.
Personally Im glad they dont carry firearms as a rule, though working in London most of them see to already.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:04 am

Can't see how that it logically can. They were lured to an ambush if what's being said is correct. That and the fact a hand grenade was used would tend to suggest that they'd have been killed whether armed or not. Can't see that as a good argument for arming all police with firearms myself.
That said, there's a lot of Sun- and Mail-readers in the U.K.....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next