The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will the Lions ever change their tour cycle?

+9
Feckless Rogue
Argie fan
Dontheman
formerly known as Sam
rodders
ScarletSpiderman
Notch
justified sinner
13 posters

Go down

Will the Lions ever change their tour cycle? Empty Will the Lions ever change their tour cycle?

Post by 123456789 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm

With rugby becoming a growing sport around the world will the Lions ever expand the countries they tour? The obvious one is Argentina who are joining the rugby championship and if/when they reach the same standard as the big three will they be toured. One of many problems could be the issue of a few small islands which might make a British team in Argentina a bit difficult diplomatically or the lack of a domestic game. But with rugby expanding in the USA and Japan will the lions start to tour other nations or will they stick to the original teams and would they make tours more frequent to cater for this.
Another option would be to play fewer warm-ups in the host countries (maybe just the super rugby teams) and play one off matches against international teams when they tour instead. When they play New-Zealand they could play matches against Fiji, Tonga and Samoa. And when they play South Africa or Australia they could go to the US, Argentina and Japan beforehand.
I know the Lions are seen as sacred but surely when everyone else is expected to include "lesser" nations, shouldn't the lions? Especially when you see the the next time the Lions tour New Zealand they will probably include a Tongan in Faletau and a Samoan in Tuilagi. Surely if we all frown upon NZ for poaching and not giving back it wouldn't be much effort to play one game in each of these countries on our way?

Back to top Go down

Will the Lions ever change their tour cycle? Empty Re: Will the Lions ever change their tour cycle?

Post by justified sinner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 7:15 pm

Numbahs, I think Argentina is a no go. The tours will remain at 4 years because of the RWC and burn out issues.

Including the PI Nations as warm up matches for Aus/NZ tours is a good idea and is doable as Scotland showed this summer. Travel issues means it won't work for midweek games. Definitely a good idea though.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Will the Lions ever change their tour cycle? Empty Re: Will the Lions ever change their tour cycle?

Post by Notch Wed 25 Jul 2012, 8:05 pm

Argentina shouldn't be a no go at all. I think it would be wonderful for the game.

I don't understand why the Falklands would necessarily be an issue- it hasn't prevented England touring Argentina in the past. Even if the Lions are (incorrectly) perceived to be a solely British team over there, rugby between the three British home nations and Argentina has seemed blessedly free from political wrangling.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 8:48 pm

Notch agreed. However tours every four years means its unlikely to happen soon, if that means the Lions only tour the other countries every 16 year's then the impact is seriously diminished. Just my view.

A possibility might be split or tri nation tours. Again that may diminish impact, but who knows how the game will evolve 20 years from now?
USA v Georgia WC final?

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:45 am

The nly thing to rule Argentina out of a Lions tour, for me, is the lack of quality club sides in Argentina. Seeing as a fair part of the tour are the midweek games, then I would say until the domestic sides are a bit better then Argentina will remain a warm up game for a tour, but not the destination of the tour. As for the USA, Japan etc. I don't really think they are tough enough tours for an individual home nation to go on, so as a Lions tour I think it may be too easy a tour for any real excitement.

That said in the future who knows, the Lions may tour more an more nations. Or the Lions may disappear as the home nations become individual entities.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:52 am

I think if the Lions don't get a series win this time out then the I think the concept will be revamped with maybe shorter tours and the odd one off test at home as a warm-up for the test series. This may well happen anyway.

I think there are so many fixtures now that the long tour concept is becoming outdated unfortunately.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:58 am

I don't understand why the Falklands would necessarily be an issue- it hasn't prevented England touring Argentina in the past. Even if the Lions are (incorrectly) perceived to be a solely British team over there, rugby between the three British home nations and Argentina has seemed blessedly free from political wrangling.

The new Argentinian President has been throwing a lot of negative press at the British government over the refusal to discuss the Falklands. There was the whole Argentinian Warships 'accidentally' invading the territorial waters and now British cargo ships being turned away from Argentinian ports. She is labelling up as 'freedom' and 'justice' but what it is really about is that the British government have given permission for a scouting group from an oil company to test to see if there is any oil in the Flaklands territorial waters. There is a big vote next year on whether the Falklands will remain under British rule or will choose either independence or Argentinian rule. I doubt they'll be any change but expect an even more sticky situation should oil be found and possibly drilled for.

Any English players would probably receive a frosty reception in terms of a political stand point and I think there are two fractions in Argentina fighting for control over the national team (hence no games in BA). Though I don't know the full details on that one.

I definitely think that before the AB tour there should be a least one if not more warm up games against either Samoa, Fiji or Tonga. Possibly their PI select team they sometimes roll out. It would boost their tourism nicely and be a good advert for PI rugby.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

I'd love to see a home Lions series. It would be hugely popular. Maybe one off Tests against all the SH teams. Blue sky thinking?

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by Argie fan Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:08 pm

The islands conflict is a topic I can talk at length, but is a political issue and this is a forum for rugby rather I don’ not discuss this topic.
About the possibility of a British team play in Argentina, I remind you that in 2010 were played the Under-20 World Rugby Cup in Argentina, and there was no problem with the England team, even the first match was Argentina against England, won England for 48 to 22, and there was no political problem so it was a sporting event more.
The British and Irish Lions did several tours by Argentina, in 1910, 1927 and 1936.
In June 2009 the British media reported that Argentina was lobbying for the 2013 British and Irish Lions Tour to Australia to incorporate a series of games in Argentina. The proposed format was three provincial games in Argentina followed by two international tests, followed by three provincial games in Australia followed by three international tests. With the announcement of the 2013 schedule and home nation tours to other countries in non-Lions Tour years, it looks extremely unlikely that the British and Irish Lions will have the opportunity to tour Argentina before the 2017 tour of New Zealand. Following the performances of the Canadian, American and Argentine teams at the 2011 Rugby World Cup, some commentators have suggested the Lions conduct a shortened tour the Americas in the future
Then I can’t see any problem for the British Lyons to do a tour in Argentina.
Argie fan
Argie fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm

A tour of the America's would be brilliant. And we'd have more chance of winning.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

If Super rugby does end up expanding to the US, Canada and Argentina then i think it could work. With the current domestic rugby scene in the Americas countries however, it would be pointless.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

Its surely time to kill the lions. no more - had enough.

that or play as one... Will the Lions ever change their tour cycle? 769663 all the time

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

gowales wrote:If Super rugby does end up expanding to the US, Canada and Argentina then i think it could work. With the current domestic rugby scene in the Americas countries however, it would be pointless.

I really do hope that it doesn't go that far.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:26 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:A tour of the America's would be brilliant. And we'd have more chance of winning.

Don't worry about Australia next year. Pick plenty Scots and you'll win Wink

Personally I really like the idea of the Lions incorporating the Pacific Islands sides into the Australia or New Zealand tours, perhaps at the start of the tour. That would be massively popular in Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.

I think an Argentina tour would likely need to incorporate the USA and Canada as part of the tour, in order to spread the love and have meaningful fixtures by way of warm-up. Personally I'd wait and see how Argentina fare in the new SH tournament, to see how they progress.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:58 pm

The Lions could stop in at Canada and America on their way to the PI Islands and New Zealand. Might be a slightly length route but if the arrive in America do half a weeks training split the squad to play America in America on the Saturday and then Canada in Canada on the Sunday. That wouldn't be a bad warm up.

Doesn't get Argentina in on the action but if we were to play Argentina it really should be as part of a proper tour to Argentina rather than just a quick stop over. I agree with FES it would depend on how they got on in the Southern Hemisphere International Tournament.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:17 pm

biltongbek wrote:
gowales wrote:If Super rugby does end up expanding to the US, Canada and Argentina then i think it could work. With the current domestic rugby scene in the Americas countries however, it would be pointless.

I really do hope that it doesn't go that far.

As do i, it would be a logistical nightmare for Super rugby. I read an article the other day though that says when the TV contract is up there could be expansion. On the other hand i read a statement from Nigel Melville (the CEO of USA rugby) that the US are looking at setting up some sort of pro rugby comp in the next 4 years, it probably won't be massive like Super rugby but will be something, they could even have a Super rugby franchise as well!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 4:32 pm

Is there potential for a fourth conference with two Argentinian sides, a pacific Islands side, a Japanese side and a North American side. I know logistically it would be very difficult but the potential would be huge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down