The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Truth or Dare

+5
Small Time
TopHat24/7
seanmichaels
6oldenbhoy
davidemore
9 posters

Go down

Truth or Dare Empty Truth or Dare

Post by davidemore Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:00 pm

It's been a quiet few weeks in the paid ranks, but with so much going on in the amateurs it will be interesting to see if fighters such as Joshua, The Cubans and that flashy Ukrainian Lomachenko turn pro and cash in on the attention they have worked so hard to earn. The attention and medal, of course.

With the Cubans it's whether or not they defect, which basically means they will have to risk imprisonment or death in order to have a career in the paid ranks. I loved watching that young eighteen year-old win gold, what a talent, what speed.

With Lomachenko i think it is time and he will sign with K2 management. The man is super slick and skilled, IMO, and the poise he showed in his fights was stunning. The man has great economy, power, varied punches and genuine ring generalship. A star waiting to enter a division of stars, IMO.

With Joshua i think he should fight one more year in the amateurs and then turn professional. But, with so much attention surrounding him, and the chance of earning big money, will he resist the urge to cash in? I'd also like to see him go to the US and check out some of the gyms there. He can be a slick HW, he has the ability to be a very fluid boxer, and i think stateside is where it's at when a talent like Joshua comes along. They know how to get the best out of god-gifted attributes, and Joshua obviously has a few of these, that stiff jab for one. Coupled with hard-work and dedication the sky is the limit for this young pup.

Thoughts on who from the Olympics will turn pro, and who wont, team? Evans needs to stay in the amateurs, IMO. He did great for team GB, but, he really gave it away in the final. Enzo Calzaghe would be a good trainer for him, he would up his tempo and really make him focus on accuracy and having more aggression in the ring.

Send words!

heart heart heart

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Truth or Dare Empty Re: Truth or Dare

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:33 pm

Lomachenko and the rest of the Ukrainian team has already signed pro contracts with AIBA pro boxing.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:44 pm

watched bits and pieces. thought standard was very poor. just have a feeling Joshua has a nastiness about him. suited to pro game where you want to hurt people.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:Lomachenko and the rest of the Ukrainian team has already signed pro contracts with AIBA pro boxing.

Any idea how that APB thing is going to work goldenbhoy?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Wed 15 Aug 2012, 4:23 pm

alma wrote:As mentioned elsewhere, I think Joshua's lack of experience could work against him if he turned pro now. He's only been boxing for 4 years and that, coupled with the fact that fighters only fight 3 or 4 times a year these days means he could go backwards.

If I were him, I would stay amateur for another year and then consider it, unless the money is too good to turn down, in which case I would try and have as many fights as possible in the first two or three years.

Where do you stand on him turning pro and going out to get himself some top top sparring? For me that'll be the benefit of him turning pro....then only fighting 3-4 times a year shouldn't really be much of an issue, shouldn't it?

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:17 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:Lomachenko and the rest of the Ukrainian team has already signed pro contracts with AIBA pro boxing.

To be honest, I'm not sure. From the limited info available, it is basically just an offshoot of amateur boxing. Boxers can 'fight professionally' while retaining amateur status. Any pro not under the APB umbrella is not eligible to box in the Olympics, ie 99% of professional boxers. The boxers are all paid salaries, so I doubt Mayweather et al will give up their large purses to pursue this avenue. I doubt that any APB fighter will be able to fight for any of the recognised World Titles, as they will only box fellow APB boxers, so they will never be ranked. It will probably enjoy modest success in Eastern Europe/Central Asia, where less people turn pro. But in the West, it will sink without a trace. The WSB is already struggling, and this is basically the same but on a larger scale.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:31 pm

Lomachenko simply has to give up the amateur game and turn professional, he's been by far the best amateur over the past 5 years and seems almost untouchable.

Joshua should turn pro as soon as possible before he picks up any traits that could hinder him in the future, he wont benefit from fighting the likes of Camarelle any more than he already has, he's reached the pinnacle so what is the point of carrying on unpaid?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:19 am

6oldenbhoy wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

To be honest, I'm not sure. From the limited info available, it is basically just an offshoot of amateur boxing. Boxers can 'fight professionally' while retaining amateur status. Any pro not under the APB umbrella is not eligible to box in the Olympics, ie 99% of professional boxers. The boxers are all paid salaries, so I doubt Mayweather et al will give up their large purses to pursue this avenue. I doubt that any APB fighter will be able to fight for any of the recognised World Titles, as they will only box fellow APB boxers, so they will never be ranked. It will probably enjoy modest success in Eastern Europe/Central Asia, where less people turn pro. But in the West, it will sink without a trace. The WSB is already struggling, and this is basically the same but on a larger scale.

Don't know why but this conjours up thoughts of WWF-WCW in my mind. An APB World Champ and a Pro World Champ, both claiming to be the undisputed greatest etc etc....

Bit of a shame really as I echo Ghosty's sentiments re Lomachenko, would love to see him storm the pro ranks.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 16 Aug 2012, 6:42 pm

davidemore wrote:

With the Cubans it's whether or not they defect, which basically means they will have to risk imprisonment or death in order to have a career in the paid ranks. I loved watching that young eighteen year-old win gold, what a talent, what speed.

Slight exaggeration I think.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 16 Aug 2012, 7:47 pm

cubans can turn pro now if they give up most of there earnings to their country

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:02 pm

Quite a long winded process for them to turn pro or they have to win a lottery system to get the process hurried up much like Abril did.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:16 pm

I like to play truth or dare with my wife..

Unfortunately I've found over the years that the truth hurts!!! Cool

Joshua doesn't look anything special......Got to improve his defence....looks like your average stand up guy...where is the head movement!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:16 pm

Fair point Truss, he doesn't move his head much, not even for a HW.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down