The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Rabo Side Are You Most Nervous Before Playing

+21
George Carlin
Smirnoffpriest
Janecory
sugarNspikes
GunsGerms
maestegmafia
Mickado
thebandwagonsociety
profitius
Morgannwg
Artful_Dodger
funnyExiledScot
red_stag
Jenifer McLadyboy
HERSH
munkian
Kingshu
gowales
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
ScarletSpiderman
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which Rabo Side Are You Most Nervous Before Playing Empty Which Rabo Side Are You Most Nervous Before Playing

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Saw a thread on the international board about which teams make you jumpy. I read a comment by Notch mentioning the growing Scarlet/Ulster grudge (started back on '03 by them failing to stop us taking the title), and it got me thinking yes we all know Leinster, Munster and the Ospreys are the teams to fear in the league. But which teams do you get the most nervous before playing.

Personally I always get the 'we should win this make, but most likely won't' feeling the most against the Blues and Ulster.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Which Rabo Side Are You Most Nervous Before Playing Empty Re: Which Rabo Side Are You Most Nervous Before Playing

Post by Notch Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Yeah, like I said Scarlets is always a tight game. I don't have the stats to hand, but I think the head-to-head record is pretty even between the teams in the last few years as well.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Which Rabo Side Are You Most Nervous Before Playing Empty Re: Which Rabo Side Are You Most Nervous Before Playing

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Notch the good think is that between the Scarlets and Ulster form, fitness and all the stuff that usually matters doesn't. Both teams can be off form and still come out and be really competitive.

I think that Leinster and the Ospreys area getting that way too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 pm

As a Leinster fan Munster are the team that make me nervous.Of all the teams in the league they're the one I don't want Leinster to be beaten by,you never want to lose to your neighbours.

The Ospreys are quickly approaching that mark now,they've really started to build a good run of results against us so I'm sure I'll be nervous next time we play them.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:50 pm

As an Ospreys fan
Connacht, Treviso and Dragons. Mostly uncertainty tbh.

If i had to pick one it would be Connacht. Doesn't make them a good side though imo, just a very awkward team to predict and play against.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 pm

I thought Leinster would have Ospreys right up there, after robbing them of two legue titles in Dublin. Leinster and Munster will always be a grudge match.
Ospreys and Munster don't get on, with the racist claims and off ball things,
So really you could put it down to an Leinster-Munster-Ospreys grudge

Ulster and Leinster in the old inter Pro days were the top two and would be looking to make sure they beat each other, but in recent years Leinster have found us easy pickings, hopefully this is the year it changes.

From an Ulster POV, Leinster are still the ones we want to beat most, have a growing Rivallary with Scarlets (which is good for the league) as mentioned.

Used to have a rivallary with Edinburgh, but can't help but like them, and its died a bit.

In Europe it's stade francais, Drew them a few times in H-cup (in the Ulster were struggling years) but think home team won each game, games included have eye gourging and other things between players, and I don't think either team likes the other. Would really like to meet them and beat them home and away.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:44 pm

The Blues - big neighbours and our record agasint them is rubbish.

Their ex Dragons players always pull their socks up agasint us too mad
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 pm

munkian wrote:The Blues - big neighbours and our record agasint them is rubbish.

Their ex Dragons players always pull their socks up agasint us too mad

And as soon as a Dragon player is ready to step up to international the Blues are there with a contract offer for them.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Let's see how Tovey does , I'm not as worried about losing him as I was.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Away to Newport
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:36 pm

And this is when I miss the old 'delete comment' button on the old 606 that allowed the thread to be kept on topic.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Connacht in the Sportsground. It's never pretty.

I have seen things like Felipe's peno getting blown back over the bar at the Atlantic ocean end of the ground.

Also a strongish team featuring Rocky Elsom getting beaten there.

If we do win down there it is always only by a score.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Glasgow. They have the ability to surprise.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Agreed - Connacht away always makes me nervous. It's one of those games where I always expect Edinburgh to win, but then pre-kick-off start to realise that our sawdust pack just isn't cut out for Galway.

Feel similarly ahead of Dragons fixtures as well. It's not the losing that bothers me, it's the hope I can't stand!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:09 pm

red_stag wrote:Glasgow. They have the ability to surprise.
Tough team ok. we couldn't beat them in the Rabo last year. Luckily we managed in the HC

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:09 pm

red_stag wrote:Glasgow. They have the ability to surprise.

On that note, I actually really like Ulster vs Glasgow games. They are great ones for the purists - always very attritional and tight. Team that gets me the most jumpy is probably Munster, team I want to beat the most probably the Ospreys who we have a decent recent record against compared to the other provinces.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Do Leinster fans still get the jitters with Edinburgh. They used to be a bogey team for you.

Or how do the Scarlets feel with Munster. Haven't beaten us in any competition in the past 6 years.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:16 pm

red_stag wrote:Do Leinster fans still get the jitters with Edinburgh. They used to be a bogey team for you.

Or how do the Scarlets feel with Munster. Haven't beaten us in any competition in the past 6 years.

Generally robbed! N'ah it is one of those I have no fear or nerves going into a Munster match, I know that we should beat you, and that we won't. I know it sounds stupid but it is something that I have come to except. Doesn't mean I aint gonna scream and shout about Deasy tripping Stoddart and throwing the ball deliberately into touch, or Manu giving a pen away in the last second right in front of the posts, but I know that it will always end in some crappy way like that.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:18 pm

red_stag wrote:Do Leinster fans still get the jitters with Edinburgh. They used to be a bogey team for you.

Nope. Not since December 07. I think we put that one to bed when we put 4 tries past them in Murrayfield in Oct 09 in the first game of our HC winning year.

Doesn't mean we are going to continuously beat them, but I would never be scared of them in the HC any more.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:21 pm

I do enjoy playing against Leinster. We put the fast ever four try bonus point (i may have been broken since) on them, we have beaten them in Dublin with a huge scroe (50+), and we have managed to hang on to a last minute draw (Leinster scoring a try in the last play, but Dr Phil missing the kick).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:24 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Generally robbed! N'ah it is one of those I have no fear or nerves going into a Munster match, I know that we should beat you, and that we won't. I know it sounds stupid but it is something that I have come to except. Doesn't mean I aint gonna scream and shout about Deasy tripping Stoddart and throwing the ball deliberately into touch, or Manu giving a pen away in the last second right in front of the posts, but I know that it will always end in some crappy way like that.

You don't have to explain. I have I only seen Ireland beat France twice in the past 12 years and have never seen us beat NZ Sad
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Yeah but it isn't fear as enevitable if that makes sense.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:03 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I do enjoy playing against Leinster. We put the fast ever four try bonus point (i may have been broken since) on them, we have beaten them in Dublin with a huge scroe (50+), and we have managed to hang on to a last minute draw (Leinster scoring a try in the last play, but Dr Phil missing the kick).

How times have changed eh! And how did you manage a 50 pointer in Dublin?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:13 am

Morgannwg wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I do enjoy playing against Leinster. We put the fast ever four try bonus point (i may have been broken since) on them, we have beaten them in Dublin with a huge scroe (50+), and we have managed to hang on to a last minute draw (Leinster scoring a try in the last play, but Dr Phil missing the kick).

During the 07 world cup.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/match_centre.php?section=overview&fixid=42837

In fairness we did go on to beat them in the return fixture and win the League. (It was the last time we won it, Munster and us swapped trophies the following year and we have lost the final every year since

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:18 am

As a Munster fan I think every team is a potential banana skin. I seem to remember Munster losing to Aironi towards the end of the season which halted the momentum for second spot.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:33 am

As a Leinster fan, I'm nervous about playing any side in a Celtic/Rabo league grand final game.

I look most look forward to the Munster games. Brings out the best in both sides (most of the time.... let's leave any late/high/low/early hits/punches/kicks out of this).

I know I'll end up frustrated at the Osprey games (used to be Edinburgh). They are the team that has our number at the minute, they control the pace, get on top in the niggle department, and get points at every opportunity.

I know I'll be mostly annoyed at Connacht games. I always leave the Connacht games convinced if they played like they do against Leinster in every game they take the field for, they would be top 4 position and not bottom 4 position in the league every year.

Haven't mentioned Ulster, other than the HCup Final, these fixtures usually come around when both squads have to be rotated/rested so a little bit of the life has gone from the Leinster/Ulster games

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

During the 07 world cup.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/match_centre.php?section=overview&fixid=42837

In fairness we did go on to beat them in the return fixture and win the League. (It was the last time we won it, Munster and us swapped trophies the following year and we have lost the final every year since

I think the following season (or the season before) it was another high scoring game (mid to late 40s for both sides)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

During the 07 world cup.

I think the following season (or the season before) it was another high scoring game (mid to late 40s for both sides)

Fri 26 Jan 2007 19:40 Leinster Rugby 44 - 34 Llanelli Scarlets Donnybrook

This was the year before. We lost the fixture in Stradey, but that's in the context of getting whitewashed in Wales that year for at least the 2nd time in a row.

Since then I don't think you have beaten us baring your home Magners game the year you had us in the HC

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Jenifer - I guess I am getting old, it doesn't seem that long ago, but when you look at the dates. P.S. lets not remember those HEC matches, I've tried to forget them.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:17 pm

For Leinster, Ospreys and Glasgow.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:42 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Jenifer - I guess I am getting old, it doesn't seem that long ago, but when you look at the dates. P.S. lets not remember those HEC matches, I've tried to forget them.
If you're getting old, then I died a few decades ago of old age. Wink

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 pm

The scots teams are often far more troubling than anticipated and the results are closer or in the negative far more often than their form would portray.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:18 am

To be honest as a Leinster fan I know that almost all teams in the league are strong enough to beat us on their day. However, Ospreys are definitly the team to beat in the league for us at the moment.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:The scots teams are often far more troubling than anticipated and the results are closer or in the negative far more often than their form would portray.
That makes absolutely no sense. Are you AWOP (the old version)?

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm

GunsGerms wrote:To be honest as a Leinster fan I know that almost all teams in the league are strong enough to beat us on their day. However, Ospreys are definitly the team to beat in the league for us at the moment.

Becoming quite the competition.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:08 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:To be honest as a Leinster fan I know that almost all teams in the league are strong enough to beat us on their day. However, Ospreys are definitly the team to beat in the league for us at the moment.

We play you on the 4th of November the weekend before the AIs.

Pity we can't do it on the 1st of Dec when Wales are playing Australia. Crying or Very sad

Might need the away win by then

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:56 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

We play you on the 4th of November the weekend before the AIs.

Pity we can't do it on the 1st of Dec when Wales are playing Australia. Crying or Very sad

Might need the away win by then

Cant imagine that many Internationals will be allowed to play the week before the AI's so the match could be both teams minus Internationals and a good game. Both Leinster and Ospreys are doing a good job of reinforcing their ranks with their brilliant work at academy level. I think at the moment, if without Internationals then, I would say Leinster have the advantage over the Ospreys.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:37 am

Corrwg, Explain, What brilliant work at academy levels, are Leinster and Ospreys doing compared to other teams ?
Surely,This topic about academies should have a thread of its own, as this thread is about " Which Rabo side are you most nervous before playing Doh

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:31 am

Why is Maesteg called Corrwg?

Scarlet fan so definately Ulster, so many times we should have beaten them and then lost and it's cost us a place in the play offs mad

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:50 am

Janecory wrote:Corrwg, Explain, What brilliant work at academy levels, are Leinster and Ospreys doing compared to other teams ?
Surely,This topic about academies should have a thread of its own, as this thread is about " Which Rabo side are you most nervous before playing Doh

And the prize for the biggest over reaction to a line in a post goes to...

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 am

Griff wrote:
Janecory wrote:Corrwg, Explain, What brilliant work at academy levels, are Leinster and Ospreys doing compared to other teams ?

And the prize for the biggest over reaction to a line in a post goes to...
The guy is a moron. i put him on ignore

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Playing Ulster at Ravenhill is increasingly becoming a nightmare.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Connacht, without a doubt, I always pray that none of the Welsh regions take them to lightly at Gallway, you just know your gonna end up comming unstuck against them out there, especially on a cold wet and windy Friday night.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:10 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Connacht, without a doubt, I always pray that none of the Welsh regions take them to lightly at Gallway, you just know your gonna end up comming unstuck against them out there, especially on a cold wet and windy Friday night.
Especially with Dan Parks controling the game at 10.

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Janecory wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Connacht, without a doubt, I always pray that none of the Welsh regions take them to lightly at Gallway, you just know your gonna end up comming unstuck against them out there, especially on a cold wet and windy Friday night.
Especially with Dan Parks controling the game at 10.

Laugh

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Which Rabo Side Are You Most Nervous Before Playing?

English clubs would say all of them, and we don't want them in the H-cup anymore either

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:44 am

As a Leinster fan it is Ospreys, they have nicked the magners from us twice in our own backyard. Before that though I feel it was either of the Scottish sides. And even sometimes I fear Connacht might do a number on us.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:56 am

drsambo1928 wrote:As a Leinster fan it is Ospreys, they have nicked the magners from us twice in our own backyard. Before that though I feel it was either of the Scottish sides. And even sometimes I fear Connacht might do a number on us.

Might have nicked it but the last one was a brilliant match...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:01 am

I concede the first win in 2010 magners final was fair as the Ospreys played better then Leinster and deserved to win, but in all fairness, the most recent match was a nicking in the very essence of the word. Don't get me wrong I admired the Ospreys ability to come back again and again and again when the chips were down but the way they won it with not too long to go was a pure nicking. Or maybe I just still havent gotten over it Crying or Very sad

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:04 am

drsambo1928 wrote:I concede the first win in 2010 magners final was fair as the Ospreys played better then Leinster and deserved to win, but in all fairness, the most recent match was a nicking in the very essence of the word. Don't get me wrong I admired the Ospreys ability to come back again and again and again when the chips were down but the way they won it with not too long to go was a pure nicking. Or maybe I just still havent gotten over it Crying or Very sad

It was a great game though wasnt it. despite the result.. And that is the most important thing, great rugby, that is what we all want...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next