The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion

+35
jimbohammers
brennomac
atletico86
Gerry SA
trebellbobaggins
Corporalhumblebucket
chrisss
mystiroakey
guildfordbat
Gregers
Hoggy_Bear
JamesLincs
Hibbz
ChequeredJersey
Josiah Maiestas
VTR
Duty281
LondonTiger
msp83
Mike Selig
Biltong
Fists of Fury
JDizzle
Mad for Chelsea
liverbnz
Dave.
KP_fan
GG
alfie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ShankyCricket
Shelsey93
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
skyeman
Pal Joey
39 posters

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion - Page 13 Empty T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 3:24 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi all,

I've set up our very own 606v2 T20 World Cup SuperBru tipping competition for anyone who is interested.

http://www.superbru.com/worldt20/player_home.asp

First game is Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe on Tuesday, September 18 at 19:30 (local time) in Hambantota.

The full list of fixtures is here:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/world-twenty20-2012/content/series/531597.html?template=fixtures

The pool code for 606v2: playsacs

Everyone is welcome.
Enjoy the matches and best of luck to your team.

Who do you think will win?

Last edited by Linebreaker on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion - Page 13 Empty Re: T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion

Post by msp83 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:44 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
msp83 wrote:KP may or may not have made an impact, but England is a better side with him in there!.

Absolutely. We'd also be a better side if WG Grace, Wally Hammond, Ian Botham, Jim Laker and Bob Willis were playing. They aren't and we have to live with that!

But unlike Pietersen, those other gentlemen aren't available for selection due to various reasons, some are contracted to play T-20 leagues above, and a couple of others are too much used to the comforts of an AC TV box and they won't play without similar facilities on field.

msp83

Back to top Go down

T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion - Page 13 Empty Re: T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:47 pm

can we please keep talk of KP on the actual threads there for this? please please pretty please with cherries, cream and sugar on top? sick to death of those discussions.

Last edited by Mad for Chelsea on Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:47 pm

msp83 wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:
msp83 wrote:KP may or may not have made an impact, but England is a better side with him in there!.

Absolutely. We'd also be a better side if WG Grace, Wally Hammond, Ian Botham, Jim Laker and Bob Willis were playing. They aren't and we have to live with that!

But unlike Pietersen, those other gentlemen aren't available for selection due to various reasons, some are contracted to play T-20 leagues above, and a couple of others are too much used to the comforts of an AC TV box and they won't play without similar facilities on field.

KP isn't available either. he's retired.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:54 pm

KP is available for England in all formats.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:00 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:can we please keep talk of KP on the actual threads there for this? please please pretty please with cherries, cream and sugar on top? sick to death of those discussions.

I'll add some strawberries if it makes it any better?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm

I've made a comment about KP in the 'Cut the nose to spite the face thread' in response to what's been said here.

Like MFC I'm keen that we keep the discussion about KP in one place. This thread is about the World T20, and not a player who isn't playing in the World T20.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:05 pm

I agree, it's getting tiresome.

msp, I thought you were a decent poster. You're becoming as annoying as the other one on this now. We get it, you think England should have picked Pietersen and that they'd be a better side with him. He's not there, and he almost certainly won't be in India either. Those who wish to debate ad infinum on this topic can go to the "nose-face" thread, or the "england can't play spin" one (which has descended into a nonsense) or the "KP isn't going to India" one. This thread is to talk about the matches - KP isn't playing, so has nothing to do with them.

#fedup.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:08 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Although I'm not surprised, I'm not convinced of the need for Pietersen's name to crop up so regularly in related posts. Whether we agree with it or not, we all pretty much know why Pietersen isn't playing in this tournament. No one would suggest it's to do with the Indian spinners. Let's concentrate on who is involved.

Echoing recent posts and in case anyone missed this earlier.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:14 pm

Broad appeared very raw as a captain.......maybe not bervous but tentative and shy.......and after having India down to 80-2 in 10...........let them get 90 in the last 10 overs.......

Just wasn't on top with what's required......inexperinced and shy to try /assert.
and replacing the ball in the last over to get a harder ball ( that went for 17 in the last over).........wasn't something that a more astute captain would have allowed
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:15 pm

I don't know about the replacing the ball... commentators were going on about it like it was up to England but at the end of the day the umpires decided to change it, and if there was something wrong then I'm sure India would have flagged it up.

I'm not sure whether the ball was 1 or 20 overs old it would have stopped the full toss Dernbach bowled first ball from being hit for six.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:17 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Only saw a few snippets of play today so just a few quick general comments.

Against Afghanistan, we got all three disciplines right. Our highly effective bowling and fielding in that match was helped by an earlier tremendous batting display which gave us more confidence and heaped the pressure on our opponents.

Today the batting was dreadful. As msp suggested, it was panicky. However, just as in the Afghanistan match, what went before it shouldn't be ignored. The bowling and fielding today certainly wasn't awful but it was inconsistent. That in turn cost us runs and meant we were chasing more than we should have been. If our target had been, say, fifteen runs less, I wonder if we might have resisted better the panic that overtook us.

Essentially, we need to be on the money from the start. We cannot expect a strength in one discipline to overcome a failing in another. Too often, one failing will lead to another.

As for Harbhajan, he bowled well and effectively today. Possibly, his cricketing obituary has been written too soon by some (including me). However, I still think it's fair to say that he's been pretty poor for a while and that one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Hoping Ireland can brighten a sad day tomorrow.

Guilford,

I missed this with all the hoopla. Pretty much agree. You are right to point out that England's bowling and fielding, whilst in the grand scheme of things ok, was inconsistent and fell short of the standards they'd want. I thought there weren't enough slower balls from the seamers, and far too many basic fielding errors.

I wonder whether lack of focus was a bit of a problem? Did England want to experiment with a few things also?

I would also think England will in general be more confident putting a total on the board, given their preferred gameplan is very much to keep wickets in hand and then make hay. It is a lot easier to convince yourself you've got plenty of time when the required rate isn't shooting up to above 10 an over after just 5 or 6 overs.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:19 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:I don't know about the replacing the ball... commentators were going on about it like it was up to England but at the end of the day the umpires decided to change it, and if there was something wrong then I'm sure India would have flagged it up.

I'm not sure whether the ball was 1 or 20 overs old it would have stopped the full toss Dernbach bowled first ball from being hit for six.

Bumble went on and on about the ball. The ball Dernbach eventually bowled with was just as hard to hit when he bowled his slower ball into the pitch. The problem wasn't the ball, it was that Dernbach was bowling full on a pitch which was sticking. IMO.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:34 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:I don't know about the replacing the ball... commentators were going on about it like it was up to England but at the end of the day the umpires decided to change it, and if there was something wrong then I'm sure India would have flagged it up.

India didn't ven notice......England pointed out.....made and issue of it and got it changed
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:39 pm

Mike Selig wrote:

I wonder whether lack of focus was a bit of a problem?

Mike - I suspect it was. Whilst understandable to a point, that still concerns me. A determined winning team shouldn't allow that to happen. Once lost, focus - like confidence - is not always easy to refind.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:18 am

guildfordbat wrote:

Hoping Ireland can brighten a sad day tomorrow.

there is absolutely no chance we will beat Windies, England will have a Gayle problem during the Super8's

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Sep 2012, 6:14 am

have faith and believe. WI bowling attack is not that strong. if the irish lads just swing they have a chance. I mean India beat England yesterday- Anything can happen in this format.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:16 am

Dernbach for me is not as effective as he is made out to be as a death bowler. I remember him being smashed around by Dhoni and even Ravindra Jadeja and R ashwin in England, he faired little better later on against India in India. Darren Gough and Fredye Flintoff did a fine job for England at the death, Broad has done ok since then and Anderson has improved in that department. Bresnan did alright as well. But Dernbach for me has been the least successful.
Anderson isn't the T-20 picture, Bresnan isn't a first choice player any more as his form has fallen away. Dernbach's slower balls contributes to the variation and so he has to stay in. But perhaps Broad shouldn't bowl more than 2 upfront?
in the last 4, 1 from Dernbach(preferably not the 19th or the 20th), 1 from Finn and 2 from Broad? You can't be rigid with your plans, but generally I think this would work better than Dernbach bowling a couple at the end.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:31 am

I know the KP discussion is irritating quite a lot of people, and just for the sake of some of the otherwise decent posters here I would try to resist the urge to bring up the question on this post as much as possible.
When the test series was played people were talking about Onions, Finn when he wasn't playing, Bopara, Taylor, Carberry, Kompton.......
When Luke Wright was bashing the Afghans around people were joking Kevin who? I didn't see many of the gentle posters getting worked up then.
As England came up with a performance of this kind, like BBC's Jonathan Agnew says, people are bound to ask the Pietersen question, like it or not.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:34 am

Looking forward to today's Ireland v WI game.

Ireland do have a real chance, although you feel WI would have to put in a below par performance. Ireland played poorly v Australia, but that doesn't mean they will again today. Get Gayle out, and avoid losing wickets v Narine and WI are not that impressive an opponent.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:37 am

I like the look of windies side however you feel they are one genuine bowler short...

especially with Bravo and Pollard both being batsman who bowl these days, as opposed to being genuine all-rounders.

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:47 am

Shelsey93 wrote:Looking forward to today's Ireland v WI game.

Ireland do have a real chance

Hope has taken over rationale......................
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:57 am

West Indies should play Russell in place of Dwayne Smith. Russell is a far better bowler, and a lot more consistent than Smith with the bat. Johnson Charles anyways is an opener and he can do the job at the top of the order.
Gayle
Charles
Samuels
Bravo
Pollard
Russell
Sammy
Ramdin
Narine
Rampaul
Edwards.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:58 am

KP_fan wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:Looking forward to today's Ireland v WI game.

Ireland do have a real chance

Hope has taken over rationale......................

KP_fan, that's a very unscrupulous post. You have deliberately misrepresented Shelsey through deleting the part of his post which explained his reasoning and what needed to happen for the hope to become reality.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Sep 2012, 9:05 am

Oh Drop me out..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 9:06 am

msp83 wrote:West Indies should play Russell in place of Dwayne Smith. Russell is a far better bowler, and a lot more consistent than Smith with the bat. Johnson Charles anyways is an opener and he can do the job at the top of the order.
Gayle
Charles
Samuels
Bravo
Pollard
Russell
Sammy
Ramdin
Narine
Rampaul
Edwards.

I think they'd be at their strongest with Darren Bravo for Charles and Russell for Smith. Darren Bravo can open with Gayle, and should stop the current rubbish starts they always get from the end Gayle's not at. They should obviously have picked Roach in the first place, but without him in the squad they have to pick Fidel and Rampaul.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:43 am

The younger Bravo struggled a bit in T-20Is and got dropped. But yeah, he should be better than Charles who is all about slogging. I am not too sure he has opened in the format in the past though and West Indies may not experiment on that count.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

Well not picking Roach is strange indeed but lets focus on the actual cricket!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:46 am

msp83 wrote:The younger Bravo struggled a bit in T-20Is and got dropped. But yeah, he should be better than Charles who is all about slogging. I am not too sure he has opened in the format in the past though and West Indies may not experiment on that count.

Got to be better than Charles. Charles is a slogger, but is a bad slogger and quite often uses up a lot of deliveries. With Gayle you really want an opening partner who can play properly and give him the strike at the right time.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:05 am

Lendl Simmons is the other opener in the squad and he has done ok in this format.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:10 am

msp83 wrote:Lendl Simmons is the other opener in the squad and he has done ok in this format.

Better than Charles, but still a far inferior player to Bravo in my opinion.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:13 am

Bravo is a fine player, but I doubt whether he has come to terms with this format. Like Virat Kohli I am sure he eventually will, but how soon is the question.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:14 am

msp83 wrote:Bravo is a fine player, but I doubt whether he has come to terms with this format. Like Virat Kohli I am sure he eventually will, but how soon is the question.

I'm sure he's come to terms with the format better than Charles/ Simmons...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:25 am

Shelsey93 wrote:
msp83 wrote:Bravo is a fine player, but I doubt whether he has come to terms with this format. Like Virat Kohli I am sure he eventually will, but how soon is the question.

I'm sure he's come to terms with the format better than Charles/ Simmons...
Charles has done OK in this format tbh and so has Simmons.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:55 am

look ireland are at the same level as bangledesh, so the chances of us beating the Windies is 1 in 10. We need to be on top of our game and the Windies need an off-one, particuarly Mr Gayle.

Im not confident as alot of our players are ill and we have not played so well in 2012. I just hope we put in a respectable performance and Porterfield doesnt get another 1st ball duck!! Altho it is likely he will not be opening the batting today. Also reports from the camp point to Sorensen coming in for Nigel Jones, although i wud prefer to see Murtagh

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:06 pm

atletico86 wrote:look ireland are at the same level as bangledesh, so the chances of us beating the Windies is 1 in 10. We need to be on top of our game and the Windies need an off-one, particuarly Mr Gayle.

Im not confident as alot of our players are ill and we have not played so well in 2012. I just hope we put in a respectable performance and Porterfield doesnt get another 1st ball duck!! Altho it is likely he will not be opening the batting today. Also reports from the camp point to Sorensen coming in for Nigel Jones, although i wud prefer to see Murtagh

Atletico - I'm not sure you realise it but you're getting more and more upbeat about Ireland's chances. Just after midnight you gave them 'absolutely no chance'. Now it's '1 in 10'. If the game could be put back a few days, they would end up red hot favourites! Very Happy

Anyway, I agree you're certainly underdogs but believe you have some chance. More importantly, just looking forward to the match.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:10 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:
msp83 wrote:Harbhajan thanks Essex for helping in his revival.

Really? He was godawful when I saw him play for them.....

I also seem to recall CF being pleased when Harbhajan left Essex towards end of this season, having done not very much....

Yes, Essex may have helped Harbhajan but he did precious little for them.

he was s**t!!!!!

Last night he didnt even spin the ball, so god knows how he got 4 wickets!

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:31 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
atletico86 wrote:look ireland are at the same level as bangledesh, so the chances of us beating the Windies is 1 in 10. We need to be on top of our game and the Windies need an off-one, particuarly Mr Gayle.

Atletico - I'm not sure you realise it but you're getting more and more upbeat about Ireland's chances. Just after midnight you gave them 'absolutely no chance'. Now it's '1 in 10'. If the game could be put back a few days, they would end up red hot favourites! Very Happy

Anyway, I agree you're certainly underdogs but believe you have some chance. More importantly, just looking forward to the match.

haha i suppose thats wot fans do! the closer the game gets the more the heart overtakes the head! Apparently some of the irish players have been in bed for the past couple of days and are now going to try a cricket match! Doesnt sound like good preperation, and maybe i shud be more pessiismistic again!haha

Reports are that there is a high a chance of rain, unfortunately it looks like we may be only watching repeats this afternoon.

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 2:52 pm

Well, West Indies won the toss and are bowling. Russell's back in place of the injured Dwayne Bravo, and Shelsey gets his wish, Darren Bravo in for Dwayne Smith and is slated to bat 3 with Charles opening along with Gayle.
I hope the rain stays away, although at this moment chances are rather grim as the clouds are very much around.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

comeon Oireland anyway. Game kicking off in 5 MINS!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Sep 2012, 2:56 pm

oh dear that Irish anthem- deary me,

The WI one isnt much better either. My ears are being tortured. Cricket doesnt need anthems..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:05 pm

poor Porterfield, faces just two balls all tournament. not much he could do about that one, cracking inswinging yorker.

Joyce with a couple of nicks for four, one to third man and one to fine leg.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:07 pm

Quality first ball hey.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:08 pm

Ireland need to try and score of every ball.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

good cricket from Stirling, makes room to blast a couple of fours through/over the off-side and then just drops it for a single softly on the off side.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

Good start after the wicket.

Here's a (rather well written) piece on why we shouldn't call them "minnows"
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:23 pm

arggg. boring weather

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:23 pm

raining Sad

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:24 pm

Doh

Who's bright idea was it to play the tournament at the start of the Sri Lankan monsoon season anyway?
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:39 pm

bloody rain...story of my life

decent start but mustnt get ahead of ourselves...bloody hope stirlo stays in for another 20/30 balls, altho cud be clutchin at straws. Think it will come down to how we play narine, and we have a sh*te record at playing mystery spinners, think england but alot worse!haha

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:42 pm

also interestingly porterfield has 5 1st-ballers for ireland in 2012, and 4 of em coming in our biggest games of the yr!

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next