The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chavez-Martinez round by round spoilers thread

+26
ShahenshahG
Imperial Ghosty
hampo17
captain carrantuohil
trottb
PPVxHOTTY
owen10ozzy
Atila
Herman Jaeger
mlop542
Commander
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Valero's Conscience
ONETWOFOREVER
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Mayweathers cellmate
bellchees
John Bloody Wayne
azania
alanqlm
BoxingFan88
mobilemaster8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Seanusarrilius
TheMackemMawler
BallchinianMuffwig
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Chavez-Martinez round by round spoilers thread - Page 3 Empty Chavez-Martinez round by round spoilers thread

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 15 Sep 2012, 8:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know it's a good few hours away still but I'm still stuck on the rigs and need a good reliable running commentary on the action unfortunately. (keeping away from the result till next wednesday just isnt doable)

So this threads really just to welcome round by round updates/general comments on the Chavez-Martinez action tonight! Much appreciated. Ta

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Chavez-Martinez round by round spoilers thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Chavez-Martinez round by round spoilers thread

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:22 am

Wow he traded at the end amazing fight, no point in a rematch though, after all Martinez will dance around him again.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Chavez-Martinez round by round spoilers thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Chavez-Martinez round by round spoilers thread

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:22 am

117-110 Martinez

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:23 am

He wanted to prove his metal and he did (though he didn't need to)

Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:23 am

Credit to Chavez for continuing to come forward and make a fight of it but he was outclassed in 9-10 of the rounds.

GO Sergio

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:23 am

Holy hell what a final round

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:23 am

Well done judges, only gave him the knock down. That was an easy fight until he got caught with a wide hayemaker.

Like the one Maidana landed against Khan. Martinez elected to trade.

118-109 all 3.

Chavez earned my respect tonight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:24 am

MARTINEZ!!!!!!!!

No dodgy judges Smile

No rematch, Sergio didn't need to trade so made it closer than it looked

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:26 am

Yep the only thing that Chavez did was knock him down.

I'll say it again, brilliant job judges!!!!!!! (Not that it was a difficult job anyway)

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:26 am

That was a bit too scary in the 12th.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:28 am

Yeah, he was badly hurt, however he recovered well. Martinez backed up his words, he totally smashed Chavez.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:30 am

And now I can sleep happy!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:31 am

Hurray! What for Freddie now? His stars have been beaten one after the other....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:31 am

Martinez actually finished pretty well imo, he might have been wobbly but was still popping him with heavy shots and Chavez looked out of his feet as well

Chavez vs Macklin next and Macklin would have a good chance although probably isn't big enough

Martinez wants only mayweather and he looked small tonight so it can happen and Alvarez won also

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:32 am

There will be a rematch. money is too good for them both not to be

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:32 am

Haha spoiler alert there haven't seen the Alvarez one yet (Not like there was going to be any other outcome).

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:32 am

Going to be the same result...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by mlop542 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:35 am

Awesome ending, I'm a long time lurker here but had to post to say maximum credit to Chavez and Martinez. Can't help thinking it was just a little too early for Chavez, easy to see how much it meant to Martinez at the end which definetely means Martinez has a lot more respect for Chavez than he's been letting on ...

mlop542

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:36 am

Everyone very down on Chavez performance, but thought he gave a decent account of himself. I thought he landed most of the power punches, Martinez never really looked like hurting him. Honestly didn't quite see the domination everyone else saw, even if he was well ahead on the cards. A fifteen rounder he would have won. Deserves a rematch, whether he'll get one is another thing.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:36 am

Martinez doesn't have many fights left, I'd rather see him take on a new challenge. Mayweather at 154!!

A rematch would be 120/108.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mlop542 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:38 am

Yes agreed, think Martinez is absolutely not getting any better. I think Chavez held his own very well. Doubt we'll see Martinez produce another performance like that. Age definitely catching up with him. Shame really ...

mlop542

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:40 am

Herman Jaggery wrote:Everyone very down on Chavez performance, but thought he gave a decent account of himself. I thought he landed most of the power punches, Martinez never really looked like hurting him. Honestly didn't quite see the domination everyone else saw, even if he was well ahead on the cards. A fifteen rounder he would have won. Deserves a rematch, whether he'll get one is another thing.

IF!

If it was a 15 rounder Martinez wouldn't have elected to trade in the 12th. There were times when Sergio was stalking him around the ring. The only reason Martinez ever looked like losing was because Chavez is SO much bigger. That's it. Martinez could make 154 and Chavez should be at least a super middle. Despite the size advantage Sergio won 11 rounds. I have no doubt Sergio wouldn't get a rematch had he lost.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:40 am

I'm not sure about a rematch either. Chavez didn't do that much for me to think that a second fight would be any different. If the second fight could be for 15 rounds then yes, I could see him making it hard for Martinez down the stretch, but 15 rounders are gone.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:41 am

Why would you need to get any better when you won 11 of the 12 rounds?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:41 am

Ok who is still around to discuss the fight?....

I have just had to turn off primetime (yes I know they are a good advocate of this site) but my lord listening to them was nauseating...

I had Martinez winning it with relative ease...but by no means did I have him winning it by 10 rounds to two as 2 of the judges did. And listening to the likes of Woodhall you would have thought Chavez took and absolute hiding!!

Even the most ardent of 'against' Chavez fans must admit that he showed he belongs at least around the level of elite tonight. I hope the guy doesn't test positive or anything in the near future/anytime....but in my eyes he has redeemed himself somewhat this evening.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:42 am

thanks for the brilliant updates.cant believe martinez got put down though

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by mlop542 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:43 am

15 rounder talk is pointless. Martinez would be good enough to equip himself for any round number.

mlop542

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:46 am

owen10ozzy wrote:Ok who is still around to discuss the fight?....

I have just had to turn off primetime (yes I know they are a good advocate of this site) but my lord listening to them was nauseating...

I had Martinez winning it with relative ease...but by no means did I have him winning it by 10 rounds to two as 2 of the judges did. And listening to the likes of Woodhall you would have thought Chavez took and absolute hiding!!

Even the most ardent of 'against' Chavez fans must admit that he showed he belongs at least around the level of elite tonight. I hope the guy doesn't test positive or anything in the near future/anytime....but in my eyes he has redeemed himself somewhat this evening.

I think he showed guts, determination and that a generous size advantage can keep you in the hunt when you don't have the skill to match your opponent. He doesn't belong at middleweight, and if he wants to prove himself as a genuinely talented fighter then he should fight other cruisers, rather than former welters. Had he actually beaten Martinez I could see your point, but as it is he won one round BIG but was outboxed for the rest of the fight.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:46 am

agreed, dont think i've ever seen him tire at the end, not majorly anyway. Sounds like Junior acquitted himself well tonight, did he look hurt at any point?

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by mlop542 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:47 am

owen10ozzy wrote:Ok who is still around to discuss the fight?....

Martinez always looked in control, like I said earlier, even as much as two years down the line I could see a much different fight. I'm not a massive fan of Chavez myself but have gained a lot of respect for him after his performance, peds etc. aside he's definitely shown he belongs at the top.

mlop542

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:50 am

Awesome performance from Martinez, I admit I got it wrong. I did say Martinez will throw hundreds of punches and Chavez will deck him down late, which is what happened but 'TOO LATE' ahhhhhhhrrrrggg lol, ahh well it was experience versus youth in the end lack of maturity and can anybody tell me why Chavez didn't launch an assault earlier knowing he had power to k.o him?

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:50 am

BallchinianMuffwig wrote:agreed, dont think i've ever seen him tire at the end, not majorly anyway. Sounds like Junior acquitted himself well tonight, did he look hurt at any point?

In one of the mid rounsd Sergio was really chasing him around and looked like he could accumulate a stoppage, but Chavez responded. He never looked really wobbly, nothing like as bad as Maravilla did in round 12!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:52 am

Fight went basically exactly as i expected except Martinez gassed a bit and nearly got KO'd. Rematch would be huge. I don't think it is needed, but it is likely to happen and who can say they wouldn't watch.

JCC nearly KO'd him. Martinez dominated but people will cry for a rematch

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:54 am

Im going to have to agree with Herman here...

I think given the fact most people actually hate Chavez Jnr there is a slight negativity on the guy. Had anyone else been in the ring I dont think anyone would have had as wide as 118-109 etc....im sorry but yes Martinez won it with ease but not at that much as a canter.

What really annoys me in this day and age is that judges...and to some degree spectators have this belief that rounds can't be given as a draw...!! They CAN!

I will give my full round by round review tomorrow but safe to say there were a few rounds where I think that Martinez whilst throwing a fair bit landed very little and Chavez hit him with a couple of power shots.

Like I said I had Martinez winning it with a fair bit of ease but I really don't think that the scorecards gave a fair reflection on what Chavez brought to the table. As much as Martinez clearly hates the guy I would be surprised if he doesn't show some form of respect for Chavez after that...

Just to add also.....Mayweather takes him apart. I like Martinez...fully respect him as a boxer and as a human. He represents the sport in the best of light but I have never held him in quite as high regard as others when it comes to P4P ranking...

People have to either admit Chavez is much better than they were willing to admit....or say Martinez isn't as good as they though. Before tonight people were saying Chavez was slow and cumbersome...but even before the 12th he landed on enough occasions for me to think people with relative speed would land with quite some ease on Martinez!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:06 am

owen10ozzy wrote:Im going to have to agree with Herman here...

I think given the fact most people actually hate Chavez Jnr there is a slight negativity on the guy. Had anyone else been in the ring I dont think anyone would have had as wide as 118-109 etc....im sorry but yes Martinez won it with ease but not at that much as a canter.

What really annoys me in this day and age is that judges...and to some degree spectators have this belief that rounds can't be given as a draw...!! They CAN!

I will give my full round by round review tomorrow but safe to say there were a few rounds where I think that Martinez whilst throwing a fair bit landed very little and Chavez hit him with a couple of power shots.

Like I said I had Martinez winning it with a fair bit of ease but I really don't think that the scorecards gave a fair reflection on what Chavez brought to the table. As much as Martinez clearly hates the guy I would be surprised if he doesn't show some form of respect for Chavez after that...

Just to add also.....Mayweather takes him apart. I like Martinez...fully respect him as a boxer and as a human. He represents the sport in the best of light but I have never held him in quite as high regard as others when it comes to P4P ranking...

People have to either admit Chavez is much better than they were willing to admit....or say Martinez isn't as good as they though. Before tonight people were saying Chavez was slow and cumbersome...but even before the 12th he landed on enough occasions for me to think people with relative speed would land with quite some ease on Martinez!

Find a post on this site that shows I hate Junior. I'll criticise him in the ring if I see fit but show me evidence I dislike him, nevermind hate him. I called it as I saw it. This isn't my way of saying it doesn't exist, maybe I have slagged him off, but I don't remember doing so.

For the record, I agree with you about even rounds.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:07 am

owen10ozzy wrote:Im going to have to agree with Herman here...

Are you insane? Junior gets a 10-8 and MAYBE one or two other rounds, but really i can't give him more than 2 rounds. He landed when he threw he just allowed himself to be out punched and out manouvered by a guy who has far superior skills. Martinez is slowing down tho, i'll give you that.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 16 Sep 2012, 8:31 am

Owen please don't try to insult a lot of peoples attention on here. I watched the fight with my brothers and few others who were routing for Chavez and even they were asking me why he was hardly even throwing punches let alone landing any.

Martinez : landed 377 threw 908

Chavez Jr : landed 178 threw 300 odd. Can't remember exactly.

Point being on average do the math. He was practally outlanded 3 to 1 each round.

Martinez won almost every round with his jab. Chavez just lumbered forward with his guard. Everyone in my place printed out the lil HBO scorecards and threw them away after the 10th. They weren't needed.

Chavez just tried what he always does, fair play it nearly worked in the last minute. But that last minute for some reason has blindsighted a lot of people because he fought terrible and was slow, below average footwork and lacked a basis jab. Heade Arthur Abraham look like Andre Ward. His size is his only advantage and against someone who moves, that's gone.

He is actually worse than I thought. Seriously?? Throwing only 300 odd punches in the biggest fight of his life!?

Rematch?? On what basis? Because Martinez might tire quicker next time? If he doesn't then it's another wipewash.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:03 am

It's a shame when fights are so predictable. I really wanted Chavez to win.

Martinez is whiter than white... he has to be another stocking wearing deviant.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:04 am

Everyone still have Martinez p4p top 5?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:17 am

I'd agree with reborn in that the 12th knockdown have people believing it was a lot closer than it was. It was a complete shutout and I don't see what a rematch will prove.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:19 am

Well, that was fun, wasn't it? I've been quite critical of Chavez for being the beneficiary of nepotism, so I should start by saying that he earned his stripes last night. Showed heart and power; if he could just add a little extra skill, then he might yet go places.

Let's not overreact, though. Martinez still won at a canter, having given Junior a bit of a lesson for most of the fight. Must disagree with Owen about the nature of the margin. My impression was that Chavez was being comfortably outlanded and the punch stats, although not infallible, backed that up in spades. Two to one landed?! Conclusive enough, I'd think.

We must also remember that Martinez has hitherto not exactly been known as the reincarnation of Willie Pep, so Chavez has got a fair bit of work to do on his basic boxing if he is to capitalise on his new position of respect. A good night for the sport, in my opinion, although I'm sorry for TMM that his desire for a new order of chaos failed to materialise.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:21 am

Martinez: 390 out of 908

Chavez Jr: 178 out of 322

Complete embarrasment. Reminded me of Calzaghe vs Lacy up to the last minute
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:23 am

To answer TMM, by the way, no, I don't think that Martinez is top 5 material these days. At 37, he's onto that slope marked "decline", which is only going to get steeper as he gets older. A boxer with a more rounded skill set would have caused him plenty of trouble last night.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:40 am

Cheers for the P4P response Captain.

My desire is only for a young superstar to emerge to ensure the longevity of the sport. We have enough 35+ champions. New fans may be incapable of developing an affinity for these boxers before they retire. Potentially, that could result in the loss of a would be fan thus harm the game.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

It'll come, TMM, but I think that people are going to have to showcase some of the lower divisions as well in order to find the superstars. Anyway, with Golovkin and, I hope, Saunders on the 160 horizon, and Andre Ward a division higher, all we need is a good couple of light-heavyweights to make life pretty sweet at the top end of the weights.

I expect nothing of the heavyweights, by the way, because for most of history, that's exactly what they've provided. 1964-79 and 1986-97 were aberrations.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:To answer TMM, by the way, no, I don't think that Martinez is top 5 material these days. At 37, he's onto that slope marked "decline", which is only going to get steeper as he gets older. A boxer with a more rounded skill set would have caused him plenty of trouble last night.

What!? Who else fills the top 5 slots then??

Pacquiao has been woeful the last 2 years and lost last time out and people still have him top 3!

Martinez beat Chavez the only way that was possible for a middleweight practically fighting a light-heavy. He is 37 and managed to do what 4 odd others couldn't. Performing that game plan for 12 rounds was always going to zap energy, but to say he isn't top 5 is outragous.

Mayweather, Donaire, Ward are definates, but who else deserves the other two slots bar Martinez. He is decently active for his age and puts on a decent show.

Can't just exclude him now because he is on the slide, until his slope does him damage then he deserves to stay as a top 5 (I have him 4).
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:00 am

I think "outrageous" is an unnecessarily tabloidy word for failing to put Sergio in the top 5, Dee.

You accuse Pac of being woeful in the past two years, but he's only lost one, heavily disputed decision in that time, and I still think that he deserves preferment over Martinez, who has looked far less than stellar against Barker and Macklin and almost got knocked out last night against a painfully limited, although splendidly game, opponent. Three judges with functioniong eyesight and you'd have Manny in the top 4, surely? So Pac would be 4 for me and I'd have Wlad Klitschko at 5 for reasons of utter dominance and longevity.

It's a personal choice, perhaps, but Gamboa would come 6 in my list. I just think that he's better all-round at the game than Sergio. Martinez would come next, in a sort of tie with Bradley, who has to be rated quite highly, much though I don't care for his style.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:06 am

Great performance by Martinez, no point complaining how clear cut it was when a fighter is outlanded 3-1 it's always going to be a wide decision.

Just read that Chavez thinks a rematch is justified, hope he changes his mind after watching the fight because he did nothing to deserve a rematch.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

With respect, Hampo, the margin was far nearer to 2-1 of punches landed in Martinez's favour, which is one-sided enough. 3-1 would have seen Martinez land over 530 punches, which would have been quite something!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:12 am

Maybe "outrageous" was a lil OTT.

But before the Bradley fight Pacquiao was terrible against Mosley and then Marquez 3 (say no more).

For me he is sitting in peoples top 3 based on what he done in the Hatton, Cotto days.

Martinez may have not looked spectacular against Barker and Macklin, but it's a little unfair using them as a stick to beat him with when they are both decent fighters who can box a bit. Once Sergio figured them out he wrapped both up in style. P4P Macklin, Chavez, Barker are all 10 times the fighter that Tony Thompson, Mormeck are, so for me Wlad never breaks the top 5 due to his opponent being ridiculously bad.

Pacquiao seems to get by on his name/brand alone at present. To be honest I could name 10 fighters who have had a better 18 months
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:13 am

Lets not forget that Pacquiao losing to Bradley counteracts him shamefully getting a far worse decision go for him against Marquez.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next