The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux

+41
Atila
owen10ozzy
Duty281
Ent
dummy_half
JPX
CFCNick
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
lorus59
kwinigolfer
mystiroakey
NickisBHAFC
Noble-Surfer
Mat
mobilemaster8
Nakatomi Plaza
azania
Hulking_up
Fernando
TRUSSMAN66
JamesLincs
Il Gialloblu
as1079
MetalMotty
Kay Fabe
GSC
Liam
lfc91
Soldier_Of_Fortune
LivinginItaly
MIG
Stella
liverbnz
Geordie
Lumbering_Jack
Kenny
Good Golly I'm Olly
Small Time
hampo17
nasisillmatic
Crimey
45 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux - Page 9 Empty Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux

Post by Crimey Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:01 am

First topic message reminder :

For all Liverpool's based discussion.

If you're here just to wind Liverpool fans up, don't bother posting.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux - Page 9 Empty Re: Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 1:18 pm

Going the right way for Liverpool.....

Sterling, Suaraz,Sturridge, Gerrard and Johnson are making the nucleus of a Top 4 team next year...............

However the ugly neo-nazi lookalike..... centre half is a liability...need to get rid...and get a decent keeper!!

But looking good...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux - Page 9 Empty Re: Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux

Post by Guest Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:31 pm

Skrtel has been solid enough over the years but it's fair to see he's having a bad run of form of late. Suggestions that he may be moving on can't help but I think it's premature to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Are City going to get rid of Joe Hart given that Mancini has slated him for making too many mistakes this season? Fair to say that there's more than just Skrtel or Hart responsible for their respective teams poor showings this season.

Wondering why Nasri isn't getting more stick. Completely ineffective this weekend and not even a decent defensive stint to make up for it. Even Stuart Downing had a bash at tackling the other week. I've been critical of Downing and thought that he'd pretty much signed his death warrant at LFC with his comment that "getting stuck in" wasn't part of his game but he's knuckled down and Rodgers seems to be getting the best out of him along with Henderson who must be in the running for most improved player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

I think Henderson has just got a bit of confidence and is being used in a role that actually suits him. I'm so glad that Rodgers has had the balls to drop his baby Joe Allen and recognise that Henderson has been excellent and doing much better than Allen. Without Henderson the pressing game won't work as well so he's crucial to the system as Lucas can do what Allen can do but also has the defensive side as well.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 9:54 pm

Sums up our season right there, we absolutely dominated that game and if Foster didn't have the game of his career we would have won comfortably. Worrying result though as both their goals where avoidable.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm

Crimey wrote:Can anybody tell me the difference between that performance than the problems with Dalglish's reign?

Lots of possession and attempts on goal with no reward because of a lot of saves by opposition goalkeeper, a missed penalty and end up losing the game. That is an awful loss against a team that we should be bearing considering the relative expenditure on players and form.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:08 pm

Does Borini bring anything to the team? Ever?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:10 pm

That was eerily like the Liverpool of last season.

Thing is I'm not even surprised by it anymore
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:11 pm

It's one step forward and two steps back. Same old Olly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:12 pm

Well you see what Laudrup has done at Swansea this season, he realised they needed to be more direct in there approach attacking wise (ie. get the ball forward quicker with more cutting edge) and tbf its working.

Rodgers's teams always have games like this
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:20 pm

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe
34 - Only once in the 3 points for a win era have Liverpool had fewer points from 26 games than they do this season (1992-93: 34). Slump.

Sums it all up
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:21 pm

I thought there were a lot of poor performances tonight. Defensively Agger wasn't good enough, I think he switched off at the end of the game because West Brom had threatened so little. Shelvey was poor, I'm a big supporter of him but you could tell that he hadn't played much recently as he looked off the pace and a little demotivated. Suarez had a poor game by his standards, rarely threatened and ruined 2 or 3 good moves with terrible finishes.

Rodgers was right to go with an attacking pair of substiutions on the hour mark but Borini was really, really dreadful. I was sceptical of the move in the first place, and I think he's proving all his doubters 100% right by having not a single good game all year.

I think the team has gone backwards yet again, since the 08/09 season the only time I felt there was any improvement was last year where the team was much better than in the 10/11 season, however although I hate it, I think this year is heading towards being one of the very worst of the Premier League era and it will be interesting to see how FSG react.

Rodgers has had a lot of money to spend, and he's blown over £20 million on Allen and Borini who have both failed to make any real impact and have arguably made the team worse. He's shown that he's a poor man manager by telling Downing he can leave, only to stick him in the first team, he's treated Henderson poorly and now made him a regular starter and he's handled Shelvey really poorly by making him the scapegoat of the Stoke defeat and hanging him out to dry. He handled Enrique in a similar way as well. If it's confusing for the fans, I hate to think what the players are thinking.

Rodgers really has to turn it around now, if Liverpool finish lower than 7th this year I can only see the team falling further down the table.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 11 Feb 2013, 11:05 pm

Disappointed doesn't cover it , same old story from last year .

And despite Rodgers praising the effort it's points that count
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:17 am

I don't really know how you can fault Rodgers for his handling of Downing, Henderson and Enrique. When he took over, all 3 were in poor form and looked to have no future. They are now starting games and have all showed some really good form. Whatever he said to them worked.

The strange decision last night was to take Downing off. He was having a really good game and was our most effective player going forward.

Borini was shocking, should have scored and bottled it.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:35 am

I think Rodgers likes to think of himself as a master of man management and that he masterminded their turn around in form, but I think he just confused them. He told Downing that he had no future and that he was going to leave after barely playing him, and when he did play him he played him at left back. Then out of absolutely nowhere he has made Downing a regular starter.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:39 am

How did Liverpool lose that? Just goes to show the fine lines. That pen goes in and it's a different game.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:53 am

So Rodgers can take no praise for players performing well, but takes blame for trying to motivate to perform well?

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:09 am

nasisillmatic wrote:So Rodgers can take no praise for players performing well, but takes blame for trying to motivate to perform well?

It is not good technique to crush a player's confidence by telling them they have no future, that they haven't been good enough and to try and convert them into a left back. Only to then forget everything you said and give them a run in the first team. I really don't know how that can be considered good motivation, it's just confusing. He wasn't telling Downing that he needs to work to keep his place in the squad, he told him that he could go.

It's confusing for us looking in, all of us on this forum thought that Downing was going to be let go, I'm sure Downing thought he was going to be let go, and yet Rodgers out of nowhere stuck him in the first team.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:23 am

He stuck him at left back because we didn't have many options, so he might as well have used a player we paid £20 million for, it didn't work out. He then said that Downing could leave, then suddenly Downing starts games from the right and performs well.

Maybe this was the kick up the backside he needed, and he performed well in training and showed a good attitude that Rodgers thought it was worth giving him another chance.

I'm sure the player and manager have had many private discussions regarding his performances and future, and Downing is aware of what is required of him.

Why does it matter if us fans are confused, as long as it works (which it has), is all that matters.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 12:02 pm

At least we're only 4 points off the magic 40 to secure our Premier League future.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 Feb 2013, 12:11 pm

Is Rodgers still looking for fourth place?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Tue 12 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm

Olly wrote:
Thing is I'm not even surprised by it anymore
We are a mid table team. Losses used to hurt but not anymore because it happens so often.
I can't see us being a top 4 team again for years.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

So let's get this right..you were world beaters last week against the champions.....and now you get caught in a hit and run and lose a game you dominated from start to finish....

When Mancini came it was stop and start for a while..........

You've got a talented team....Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard, Sturridge and Johnson....

You just need a Modric type guy in midfield and maybe two other players to replace..

Skirtel , Reina and Downing...........

You've got the nucleus of a cracking team................chill..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 12 Feb 2013, 2:12 pm

Crimey wrote:I thought there were a lot of poor performances tonight. Defensively Agger wasn't good enough, I think he switched off at the end of the game because West Brom had threatened so little. Shelvey was poor, I'm a big supporter of him but you could tell that he hadn't played much recently as he looked off the pace and a little demotivated. Suarez had a poor game by his standards, rarely threatened and ruined 2 or 3 good moves with terrible finishes.

Rodgers was right to go with an attacking pair of substiutions on the hour mark but Borini was really, really dreadful. I was sceptical of the move in the first place, and I think he's proving all his doubters 100% right by having not a single good game all year.

I think the team has gone backwards yet again, since the 08/09 season the only time I felt there was any improvement was last year where the team was much better than in the 10/11 season, however although I hate it, I think this year is heading towards being one of the very worst of the Premier League era and it will be interesting to see how FSG react.

Rodgers has had a lot of money to spend, and he's blown over £20 million on Allen and Borini who have both failed to make any real impact and have arguably made the team worse. He's shown that he's a poor man manager by telling Downing he can leave, only to stick him in the first team, he's treated Henderson poorly and now made him a regular starter and he's handled Shelvey really poorly by making him the scapegoat of the Stoke defeat and hanging him out to dry. He handled Enrique in a similar way as well. If it's confusing for the fans, I hate to think what the players are thinking.

Rodgers really has to turn it around now, if Liverpool finish lower than 7th this year I can only see the team falling further down the table.

Why?! After one smash and grab defeat! We had 20 shots to there 3 with the lions share of possesion. I was as disappointed as anyone with the defeat but when Gerrard missed that pen, I just knew that we would get beat, I just had a feeling. Especially after having £5 on Gerrard and £5 on Shevely 1st goal Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux - Page 9 980425

Sturridge was out aswell and I think it would have been a different outcome with him on the pitch.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 3:24 pm

That result was just the culmination of a season of disappointment, this is now factually the worst Liverpool season in the Premier League apart from 93/94 which is ridiculous. My question is how will FSG justify sacking Dalglish after relatively successful season last year (Won Carling Cup, final of FA Cup, similar league position) but keeping Rodgers this year despite crashing out of both competitions, one to a team in League 1, and being worse in the league. To put into perspective, Hodgson has been a more successful manager than Rodgers... I want to see him turn it around, but I don't think a small upturn in form can warrant being any less sceptical on what has been a car crash of a managerial period so far.

Gerrard looked very tired last night as well, he's played every minute of every Premier League game so far, played 90 minutes for England midweek. Considering he spent the last two years with quite serious injury problems, perhaps it's time to give him a little rest to refresh him otherwise I think tiredness will result in a downturn of form and when Gerrard is off-form the effect is noticeable on the other players.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:27 pm

Playing Suarez out wide was a mistake as there was no-one putting themselves in the frame to finish anything he put into the box. For the first fifteen minutes it was all horribly disjointed and lacking in any sort of flow. Our passing was well below par and I thought Lucas was a liability at times.

We tried to force the game too much and, as mentioned above, from very early on I had an inkling that there was going to be a spanner thrown in the works. You could see the frustration on the players faces and the crowd were so quiet I thought my tv had broken. Still, after that, for long periods we looked like a very good side but still lacked that cutting edge in front of goal. Yes Foster played out of his skin but there were still plenty of chances that should have been buried.

In the next six games, theoretically, there's only Spurs who should beat us but I predict that we'll end up with at least three draws....and in one of those we'll be lucky to scrape it as well.

It IS very much like Kenny's tenure with some very good build up play but we're toothless in front of goal. Rodgers has us playing some very good football but at times I think we need to be more direct. We seem to be passing passing passing ad infinitum and squandering possession instead of someone just going for goal. It's OK coughing up for creative midfielders but who's there to stick the ball in the back of the net?

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 5:12 pm

I think it's painfully clear that he overspent on Borini. I'm aware he's only young, but I'm not sure what he offers. He's not a good enough dribbler to play wide, but not a good enough finisher to play up front, I say cut our losses and try and offload him in the summer and get as much as we can for him. Sturridge is a decent option up top, but I still feel that this summer we have to try and buy a more natural finisher. Someone who actually likes to be in the box, Suarez and Sturridge are both to keen to drop off to the edge of the box leaving nobody in the box.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 12 Feb 2013, 5:16 pm

Borini is a strange one as he was with Rodgers at Swansea in the Championship. Bar him scoring a quality free kick against us I can't really remember him "lighting" it up so the speak.

Seems as if Rodgers has his favourite players and wants to take them wherever he goes. Will be surprised if he don't bid for Ashley Williams in the summer, although he is actually a decent defender so wouldnt be a bad signing imo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:58 pm

Ultimately theres just been a lot of money spent for not much return. Suarez the only signing of the past 2-3 years that can really say hes justified his fee.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 11:07 pm

GSC wrote:Ultimately theres just been a lot of money spent for not much return. Suarez the only signing of the past 2-3 years that can really say hes justified his fee.

Enrique? He only cost £6 million and apart from a small downturn in form at the end of last year he's been pretty good.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Wed 13 Feb 2013, 5:54 pm

I think you should all be delighted, we beat you 3-0 on the opening day so a 2-0 is an obvious improvement. Wink

Seriously, it was a smash and grab. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course, we defended well and Foster was superb, that's why he's the only player we spent money on in the summer because he can have games like that, just seems that he has them against Liverpool all the time(See the game from last season where we 1-0, very similar).

Penalty(Whether it was one or not) was the turning point in the game, Gerrard scores you probably win 2/3 nil. He didn't, gave us a new life and Clarkey brought Lukaku on at the right time.

I do find it strange how it seems Sturridge has almost immediately become a pivotal cog in your system, something that wasn't addressed in the first half of the season. Surely this shows there is some problems with the recruitment system in place when it takes you half a season to get a player who would make a difference.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:01 pm

Liverpool team v Zenit

: Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Carragher, Enrique, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Downing, Sterling, Suarez.

Subs: Jones, Coates, Lucas, Borini, Shelvey, Suso, Wisdom.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:11 pm

Kenny wrote:Liverpool team v Zenit

: Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Carragher, Enrique, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Downing, Sterling, Suarez.

Subs: Jones, Coates, Lucas, Borini, Shelvey, Suso, Wisdom.

Is Agger injured? Thought Carra would be dropped for Skrtel.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:26 pm

As much as I want to do well in the Europa League, Gerrard is in major need of a rest. He's playing far too much for a player who for the last three years has been plagued by injuries. If he's playing tonight he should be rested at the weekend, especially if he plays the full 90.

We need a big performance by Allen in the midfield, Lucas hasn't been at his best since his return, but has still been much better than Allen was. I want to see him succeed.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:26 pm

Dont think Agger is injured , just either dropped or rested . By his own admission he didn't play well against West Brom so that might have something to do with it .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:37 pm

I'd have least had Agger on the bench before Coates

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 14 Feb 2013, 5:06 pm

Well this has started sharply , both teams attacking . We need to get our heads in the game quickly
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Feb 2013, 5:19 pm

Joe Allen is doing awful, spending far too long on the ball, he needs to move it on quickly.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 14 Feb 2013, 5:24 pm

I think you could say that about a few of the Crimey

We need to get the ball upto Suarez quicker , the pitch is awful so pass pass pass isn't going to work tonight
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 5:59 pm

Allen is really starting to bother me. Never thought id be happy to see henderson on but i genuinely am these days, as it usually means allen wont be starting! Gives us nothing going forward, not surprising though as most of his passes go backwards!

Suarez should have had at least one, hope he doesnt go through a bad patch as we need him on top form!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Feb 2013, 6:30 pm

Hmmm...where have we seen this before?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Feb 2013, 6:36 pm

Chasing a game, 2-0 down, take off a winger, put on a defensive midfielder.

This is what scientists call 'Rodger's logic'.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 14 Feb 2013, 6:38 pm

Crimey wrote:Chasing a game, 2-0 down, take off a winger, put on a defensive midfielder.

This is what scientists call 'Rodger's logic'.

I likes it. Protect what you have
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 6:38 pm

Anyone else think rodgers has to go? As much as i hate that weve been sacking managers every six months, ive never believed hes been the right man for us. Just not up to it, awful decision after awful decision, poor signings and a general ability to talk crap after defeats with his possession this and shots on target that talk. Only one stat that matters and were on the wrong end of it all to often! We are literally being laughed at by the footballing world with the majority of people calling us "lol'verpool" etc.

Rodgers is doing worse than hodgsons at the same stage. All in all, its a very sad time for liverpool fans. YNWA

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 14 Feb 2013, 6:42 pm

BUT THE POSSESSION! LORD, THINK OF THE POSSESSION!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 6:48 pm

If i had 1p for every time he mentioned possession i could quit my job!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:11 pm

lfc91 wrote:Anyone else think rodgers has to go? As much as i hate that weve been sacking managers every six months, ive never believed hes been the right man for us. Just not up to it, awful decision after awful decision, poor signings and a general ability to talk crap after defeats with his possession this and shots on target that talk. Only one stat that matters and were on the wrong end of it all to often! We are literally being laughed at by the footballing world with the majority of people calling us "lol'verpool" etc.

Rodgers is doing worse than hodgsons at the same stage. All in all, its a very sad time for liverpool fans. YNWA

After the city game he was the right man, we lose to a team who doesn't have a bad side on an awful pitch away from home and he has to go? We need stability now more than ever.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

I dont think all is lost , the optomist in me thinks we can beat them at home .................i honestly didn't think they were that good , that said losing 2 nil to them doesn't say much for our own form
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:38 pm

Not scoring an away goal could prove crucial. Zenit can just sit back now and counter attack, ala West Brom. You'd fancy Hulk to cause trouble, and if they score you need to score at least 4. Gonna be tough...

BTW as an outsider I've never been a fan of Rodgers personally. I thought he was way over hyped at Swansea (compared to what Lambert was doing with us at the time) and quite frankly I think the man has his head so far up his own arse he can see his stomach
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

Hampo if you re read my post you will see i said "ive never thought he was the right man". Just my opinion but its how ive felt. Bad signings bad decision making. IMO he always seems to make the wrong subs at the wrong time. I agree we need stability and i think he will probably get 2 years at the helm, and i really hope he proves me wrong! Just i personally dont feel he will.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:43 pm

I also think he'll often wait far too long before making the change. Allen should have been off early, he had an awful game, worst player on the pitch for me.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next