The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Promos

2 posters

Go down

Promos Empty Promos

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 31 Jan 2011, 7:56 pm

Been watching a lot of my older DVDs of WWE main events. I have just finished watching the 2004 Survivor Series match between Team Orton (Jericho, Orton, Maven & Benoit) v Team Triple H (Triple H, Edge, Snitsky & Batista). Now the promo before this match seriously is one of the best I have ever seen. Has a decent tune playing and the build up is immense. Even with superstars of not huge ability or name like Snitsky & Maven the WWE have pulled off a huge story with a massive finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7xna0RyKg
The above is the promo I am talking about

I put the question to you, Why have the quality of promos declined so much?

Also, what is your favourite promo?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Promos Empty Re: Promos

Post by Guest Mon 31 Jan 2011, 8:06 pm

There's a few variables involved Steve, in my opinion at least. Firstly, nostalgia plays a relatively important role I feel. Only seven years old, the promos could still trigger good memories of wrestling perhaps. The second factor could well be the whole PG era argument rearing its ugly head again, with wrestlers today being a little over cautious due to the same. The final point is looking at the quality of today's better promo stars and comparing them to those of yesteryear. Are The Miz, Punk and Cena really all that poor in comparison? I hate to say it, but I don't think they are in all honesty.

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 31 Jan 2011, 8:23 pm

Does make sense with the whole nostalgia factor, never really thought of that. The PPV's of my early teens were the best the WWE probably ever had so I may have a slightly high level of expectation. Haha!
Really do miss the promos like that, they made a feud or story line in certain examples.

Doesn't help that the lack of talent the WWE has at the moment, they had Snitsky & Maven involved in the SS2004 promo and they probably done better than what Orton & co (the big names these days) would have done. The writers probably don't help the situation.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 31 Jan 2011, 8:27 pm

I think that for one the storylines were a lot better,which meant that promos had more of an impact and are looked upon favourably.And they could say whatever they wanted.

Cena is over-rated on the mic I think,But Punk and Miz are class.I Reckon if they some of the material that some of the ones from the attitude era had and the storylines to work around they'd be regarded as some of the best of all time.

Favourite promo:Anything by Hobo in 6WF and not Rock as previously typed

Last edited by Hobo on Mon 31 Jan 2011, 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : for giggles!!)

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down