The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bitter IRB chief declares war on All Blacks

+44
asoreleftshoulder
fa0019
Pal Joey
Knackeredknees
goneagain
thebluesmancometh
GoodinTightSpaces
ChequeredJersey
Submachine
No 7&1/2
Casartelli
gregortree
andy powells minder
Jimpy
propdavid_london
nganboy
emack2
Otagolad
Hound_of_Harrow
blackcanelion
Barney McGrew did it
nathan
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
PJHolybloke
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
tigerleghorn
mckay1402
Mr Fishpaste
beshocked
aucklandlaurie
GunsGerms
TJ1
whocares
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
Biltong
disneychilly
wam
eirebilly
kiakahaaotearoa
HammerofThunor
yappysnap
Taylorman
anotherworldofpain
48 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Bitter IRB chief declares war on All Blacks - Page 5 Empty Bitter IRB chief declares war on All Blacks

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well, if the citing commissioner's show any consistency then Adam Thompson can't get more than a two week ban. Which should be reduced to one on the basis of his clean record. So he should just miss the Italy game.

Any more than that, and the "open season on McCaw Sponsored by the IRB" drums will surely start to beat louder.

Last edited by anotherworldofpain on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 4 times in total

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Bitter IRB chief declares war on All Blacks - Page 5 Empty Re: Bitter IRB chief declares war on All Blacks

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:55 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
"IRB Chief Sticks Boot Into All Black's"

Into All Black's what? Inability to admit guilt. Into their moral deficiencies.

Find me one other case where the IRB chief instigated a review of a disciplinary hearing outcome personally and I'll retract it...

Ok Ill find you an example of the IRB chief reviewing a disciplinary hearing outcome if you can give me an example of any AB ever admitting foul play at a citing hearing.

All Blacks Sitiveni Sivivatu was suspended for a week following the 32-19 Bledisloe Cup rugby victory over the Wallabies in Tokyo. Sivivatu was cited for a dangerous tackle on Adam Ashley-Cooper in the 34th minute. Judicial Officer Peter Hobbs said Sivivatu accepted the tackle had been dangerous

Your turn.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Bitter IRB chief declares war on All Blacks - Page 5 Empty Re: Bitter IRB chief declares war on All Blacks

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:04 pm

You can accept a tackle is dangerous without actually admitting intent so thats not a great example though surprisingly it is unusually honest for an AB so I salute your research skills/memory.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:10 pm

AsLong As OK
but also pl recognise AWOP is a WUM fool, so try not to let him rile you with this 'infamy' nonsense. Don't get yourself modded like that other NZ fool Harrison.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Ad Hominem.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:24 pm

GunsGerms wrote:You can accept a tackle is dangerous without actually admitting intent so thats not a great example though surprisingly it is unusually honest for an AB so I salute your research skills/memory.

You asked for an example of an All Black "admitting foul play" you didn't ask for an example "admitting intent". I found you one. I'm waiting for your side of the deal...

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:33 pm

gregortree wrote:AsLong As OK
but also pl recognise AWOP is a WUM fool, so try not to let him rile you with this 'infamy' nonsense. Don't get yourself modded like that other NZ fool Harrison.

At least he doesn't constantly bang on about Wayne Barnes or the 'non English' members of England's team like Grey Ghost used to do... oh wait a minute...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm

The deal is off.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 pm

GunsGerms wrote:The deal is off.

Why?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Didn't the IRB review the cases of Schalk Burger and Parrise a few years ago following a perceived soft ban? Could well be making this up as my memory fades!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:42 pm

GunsGerms wrote:The deal is off.

Why?

I wasnt entirely satisfied by your response.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 pm

I think any objective poster might see this for what it is, so I don't feel the need to take it further then thanks GG.

What about this one then:

Tana Umaga admits hitting Chris Masoe with handbag with intent to humiliate him in 2006.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10384002

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:30 pm

A lot of knickers twisting over nothing. The IRB bloke made a generic non committal quip on twitter in response to some other twits who expressed surprise at the length of the ban. Brian Moore and that Samoan guy who slagged off Toby Flood among them.

Gosper wrote: “The IRB will review this case as it is a match under our jurisdiction. If we decide to take action we will make it public.”

I can't find any evidence to suggest that they have the power to intervene in the ruling. Most media coverage take the view that this means they will review the procedure which lead to the ban rather than the ban itself. However the IRB did make the same noises when the Rougerie/McCaw peeper poking footage came out and said they were going to look at extending the length of time allowed for a citing from the current 36 hours. I haven’t heard anything since on that one.
I would wait to see if they make any further comment before twisting the underpants any further. Must be terribly uncomfortable as it is.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:34 pm

AWOP, why do you care what ban Thomson gets anyway? You are not a kiwi or an All-Black supporter, are you?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:38 pm

of course he is. all he does is moan how NZ get a raw deal. Especially his massive man crush Richie Mc HottiehotCaw

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:39 pm

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:of course he is. all he does is moan how NZ get a raw deal. Especially his massive man crush Richie Mc HottiehotCaw

Really? I hadn't noticed Whistle
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:41 pm

There are some recurring paranoid delusions about NZ victimisation.
" Infamy, Infamy ! they've all got it in for me "
Laugh

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:15 pm

AWOP has admitted being a kiwi in previous threads, accidentally of course. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of which part of NZ he is from, which part speaks eastern european broken ENglish?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by goneagain Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:49 pm

gregortree wrote:AsLong As OK
but also pl recognise AWOP is a WUM fool,

Is it really true that fish have a 5 second memory? Whistle

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:18 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
"IRB Chief Sticks Boot Into All Black's"

Into All Black's what? Inability to admit guilt. Into their moral deficiencies.

Find me one other case where the IRB chief instigated a review of a disciplinary hearing outcome personally and I'll retract it...

Ok Ill find you an example of the IRB chief reviewing a disciplinary hearing outcome if you can give me an example of any AB ever admitting foul play at a citing hearing.

All Blacks Sitiveni Sivivatu was suspended for a week following the 32-19 Bledisloe Cup rugby victory over the Wallabies in Tokyo. Sivivatu was cited for a dangerous tackle on Adam Ashley-Cooper in the 34th minute. Judicial Officer Peter Hobbs said Sivivatu accepted the tackle had been dangerous

Your turn.

I thought he was a Fijian not a Kiwi?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:25 pm

So you after the WC final you wanted the IRB to sort themselves out over the Richie McCaw gouging incident and look at the whole citing limits and how things can be reviewed.

So the IRB do just that and as an AB is on the receving end of its out of line and not fair???

And i belive they have reviewed cases before as mentioned with Burger and Parisse.

Just stop beating the same drum up a blind alley and you may find some posters agree with you more.

Hate to see you banned again ghost of the grey kind

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:AWOP has admitted being a kiwi in previous threads, accidentally of course. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of which part of NZ he is from, which part speaks eastern european broken ENglish?

Te Moana-a-Toi. or B.O.P.

He's a real Steamer. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:31 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:AWOP, why do you care what ban Thomson gets anyway? You are not a kiwi or an All-Black supporter, are you?

I care passionately about objectivity and fairness. The problem that a lot of posters here have is they are too subjective. They see a foul by an All Black and want a life ban but can happily justify Hartley's elbow drop for example.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:AWOP, why do you care what ban Thomson gets anyway? You are not a kiwi or an All-Black supporter, are you?

I care passionately about objectivity and fairness. The problem that a lot of posters here have is they are too subjective. They see a foul by an All Black and want a life ban but can happily justify Hartley's elbow drop for example.

i think you are the one who is too subjective. it is only when a NZ player is up to be cited for flithy below the belt play or when a NZ player (mostly your man crush McCaw) is on the recieving end of dirthy play that we hear you talking about such issues.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 am

AB = angel

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:10 am

The irony is that this thread is about an Aussie (the IRB) calling the English, Welsh, Irish, Scots, French and Italians (6 nations committee) incompetent. Online we've got Kiwis defending the poms and celts and poms and celts attacking themselves.

I wonder how much of it is just poor journalism. How many of us can actually real off the effective bans. Some food for thought:
The minimum ban for stomping is 2 weeks. Take one off for a good history you get 1. I would have been happy with more, but this argument is defensible.
The maximum ban for the tip tackle was 14 weeks, reduced to 8 due to history. The effective ban is 3 weeks as the Australian year finishes in the 1st week of December. I think Simmons was probably a tad unlucky, although it was late and I don't recall him pulling out. I'd have thought less but again the argument is defensible and is somewhat academic given there are only 3 games left (given the assessment of the tackle).

I'd be happier with an IRB appointed disciplinary committee that heard all cases. Surely in the day of skype and the internet there's no need for players and officials to be physically present.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:22 am

ABs = angel , so beyond reproach.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:43 am

anotherworldofpain

No one is suggesting a life ban for your beloved and do no wrong ABs.... what they are suggesting is that the ABs get preferential treatment, which by all accounts is strongly supported by most people.

Should Thompson have got more than 1 week. Of Course he should have, the funny thing is he probably wouldn't have played against Italy anyhow so it has no impact whatsoever... it would be like handing out a 1 week ban in the last match before the summer break in Dec... pointless.

You go on about Hartley like it was a vicious assult.... well that was in the past just like we from the NH could bring out BOD in the first Lions test in 05.

Nearly all AB supporters say the NH whinge over that... well Mealamu and Umaga didn't even get a card, not even a citing and unlike Strokosch he didn't come out of the tackle uninjured.

6 months later after the IRB decided to review new footage they announced that the tackle should have resulted in red cards for both and 6 month bans.... but couldn't back track as the time period for citing was out. That is something we all could have seen... but the IRB didn't have the balls to cite them and have them banned.

Nevertheless... we've learnt to accept this and move on.. you got to get a grip over a elbow to McCaws face which hardly even drew blood.

Man up dude... this is rugby, its a man's sport. McCaw and all 7's who get on the wrong side of rucks expect this sort of treatment and get it every game.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 am

Dear other posters, let's drop the emotive language? It's not about "beloveds" and "man crushes" is about debating the facts on their own merit. As soon as you descend into that kind of heavily laced pejorative language you reveal your bias and discredit your argument.

The issue here is that Thomson has recieved a consistent ban. Now some people trying to argue the case that the ban was too lenient. Perhaps it was, perhaps not, that is irrelevant to the case I am making here though, which is why do the IRB choose now to intervene?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am

The IRB have always been inconsistent. As for why they are planning to review this decision, I presume they decided that there has been enough general over-leniency (to all sorts of players, ranging from Bradley "what a moron" Davies to Dylan Hartley whose "nibble", whilst provoked, should probably have been punished properly) in the last few years that goes against their current "cracking down on dangerous/foul play" approach and they want to make an example to show they are not going to be lenient. It will, in the end, be an empty gesture and there is an argument that in most cases the leniency was justifiable anyway and I doubt anything will change. ABs are the most high profile rugby team being the Champions of the World and the #1 ranked team so it makes sense that it is an AB player that gets this decision pushed on them
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:47 am

Will it really be reviewed though? Wasn't it just a twitter rant by the IRB chief and apparently the tweet had been removed now anyway. If anything, if all this comes to nothing, the IRB chief should probably learn to show a little more discretion rather than trying to be mr popular on twitter.

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Yeah, I think he might have messed up in a naive way on that one...

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:58 pm

yeah I mean who would be stupid enough to air their outrageous views on the internet without bothering to fact check first ...AWOP?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Dear other posters, let's drop the emotive language? It's not about "beloveds" and "man crushes" is about debating the facts on their own merit. As soon as you descend into that kind of heavily laced pejorative language you reveal your bias and discredit your argument.

The issue here is that Thomson has recieved a consistent ban. Now some people trying to argue the case that the ban was too lenient. Perhaps it was, perhaps not, that is irrelevant to the case I am making here though, which is why do the IRB choose now to intervene?

Can you say 'hypocrite'.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:04 pm

For goodness sake, let's keep on topic and stop with the personal insults here.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:40 pm

For goodness sake, who's really interested in this topic anyway?
Why would it be so important wether the IRB chose to intervene? will it change the face of the rugby world if the ban is reviewed?
looks like it is controversy some posters (including but not limited to the OP) are more interested in.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:58 pm

I honestly think AWOP is on a money spinner on this forum. Goes something like this:
AWOP: Bet I can lure a shed load of Brits and Oirish guys into a meaningless meandering debate about nothing for days on end
AWOPS mates: No way dude, they’re a savvy bunch. Especially those brainy, devilishly handsome Oirish blokes. They won’t be taken in by your Tom foolery.
AWOP: Bet I can get over 100 responses
AWOPS mates: No way dude. We’ll each give you a shiny dollar for every response you can get over 100.
AWOP: (Villainous laugh and moustache twirling)

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Laugh Maybe he thinks 606v2 is like youtube and you get advertisers approaching you depending on the number of hits. I'm not going to die wondering.

I'm off to start the thread why I think criticism of Richie McCaw is merely a manifestation of people's misgivings about their own team as well as their childhood. Run

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm

English and Welsh rivalry pales into insignificance compared to New Zealand and Australia. Discuss

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Submachine wrote:English and Welsh rivalry pales into insignificance compared to New Zealand and Australia. Discuss

First Kerry Packer made our cricketers play in beige. Then this Whistle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQRERykq5M
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Submachine wrote:English and Welsh rivalry pales into insignificance compared to New Zealand and Australia. Discuss

I didnt realise either country was big on throwing sports

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Strokes - unfit to play this weekend but he does not blame Thomson.

" I hope Thomson's boot is ok after I nutted it, on Remembrance Sunday too. I am so sorry. And I got him banned for a week, mea culpa, that was a bit harsh on poor old Thommo and his fans "

Strokes is not quoted as saying.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Sorry this is a very strange post, as so far I see no sign of said IRB boot being stuck anywhere.

a punch and a foot onto a head (deliberate) would normally be more than 1 week ban.

Some of the points made are correct. The length of ban may have been influenced by:
There was no real force down as he seem to place it there rather than drive down. The kind words from Strockosh and the lack of prior form

I think a two week would be been about right, but I suppose a one week is ok for silly behaviour.

Not sure how getting a miminum ban (deserved) means the world is against the All Blacks though

Ah well - roll on the games this week where I can put a cast iron seal of certainty there will be

Bad referee decisions
One sided viewings on incidences
Dropped balls
An All Black on the wrong side
A non all black on the Wrong side
A scrum that no-one quite knows why it went down, but it was obviously the other front row
An argument who will be in the lions
An argument who is the best selections for your team
NDL having a brain fart

It what makes the game fun

An I will point out - there are no conspiries there. Even team gets some decisions for them, some against - we tend to only notice the ones against us.

The best teams sometimes get the rub of the green, but that is just human nature, and it is up to the rest to become the best team so they can get the rub of the green

Finally while the IRB are poor in many ways, you should always remember how lucky we are it is not FIFA

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:15 pm

It's probably also worth pointing out that the Thompson suspension is consistent with the rulings on Higgenbottom and Grayling. Both of whom effectively received a 1 match suspension for each citing. Greyling was given a two week suspension but was only unavailable for the Wallabies game, Higgenbottom was given a 4 week suspension for 2 offences (2 weeks each) but would only have missed the games agaiost England and France. I think from memory the committee made it clear the 4 week ban was to ensure 2 matches were misswed..

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:39 pm

For those of you who aren't aware the IRB have decided to appeal the an Thompson.

Whilst I think the ban should have bee more I obviously think it's consistent with the recent rules, when actual games that are missed are looked at.

Politics.........

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Seems like at lest1 journalist is doing a few basic checks.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10849214

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:52 pm

When you said IRB are appealing I thought it was a joke based on the idea the IRB protect the All Blacks. He's was given the lowest ban possible for the offense. It was probably the lowest offence that was bannable.

One week plenty, 2 weeks if he wasn't a 'clean' player and 3 weeks if he was dirty Bar Steward and was doing similar every game.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:10 am

Hammer. It's effectively exactly the same as the previously two bans given out this year for the same offence (contact with the head of an opposition player). The same as Higgenbottom and the same as Greyling. I.e. one match. I think match ban numbers are misleading in that they don't relate to actual games that will be missed.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:30 am

Match bans is a very difficult one to do. Various countries have rest periods. All the have to do is use the banned period as the rest period. Is that a 'ban'? It's not easy. But something certainly needs doing. I thought I read somewhere that the length of bans took into account off periods but I've never seen that written in any discipline reports regarding length of ban.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:42 am

I agree. They probably do. I think they are a bit short. Having said the media is comparing the length of the bans, rather than the number of games missed. Which I think is the point in this case. I'd welcome a regular, open review of the citing and suspension process. I think the current review is a farcical.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:36 am

Take it easy AWOP. Erm

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next