The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do only Wales and England fans argue?

+35
Bathman_in_London
Huwball
senghenydd1913
maestegmafia
RuggerBoy
Submachine
tecphobe
lostinwales
Mr Fishpaste
dragonbreath
George Carlin
emack2
HammerofThunor
doctor_grey
Cyril
nobbled
offload
Biltong
HERSH
Feckless Rogue
SecretFly
EnglishReign
rodders
Gibson
MunsterMac
englandglory4ever
ScarletSpiderman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
majesticimperialman
Geordie
Luckless Pedestrian
gregortree
AlastairW
RubyGuby
RogerLewis
39 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Why do only Wales and England fans argue? - Page 5 Empty Why do only Wales and England fans argue?

Post by RogerLewis Mon 19 Nov 2012, 2:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Why? Why do they bicker? Why do they wind each other up? Why are 99% of Welsh articles written by an English fan called HERSH? I find the rivalries and inferiority complexes rather perplexing.

Scottish people hate (not all) English people
English people hate (not all) French people
Welsh people take a dislike to England and pretend they're a member of some kind of post WWII Celtic pact.

but... only the Welsh and English argue on there boards. Why? I can't remember seeing an Irish or a Scot winding each other up. not even Oz and Kiwis!! The closest thing rugby has to football fans is us Welsh and English Sad

I'm vocal, I write a lot of stuff but rarely is it not about Wales.

Last edited by RogerLewis on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Why do only Wales and England fans argue? - Page 5 Empty Re: Why do only Wales and England fans argue?

Post by maestegmafia Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:44 pm

Pete interesting points, but I have to nip out so ill get back o you later tonight I'm sure...

Maes

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Why do only Wales and England fans argue? - Page 5 Empty Re: Why do only Wales and England fans argue?

Post by Cyril Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

There's a thriving cafe culture in the Gurnos.

You can't move for families sitting outside sipping coffee and chatting away the balmy summer evenings.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:58 pm

Back to Rugby.
Exeter, Bath, Bristol, Glos, Worcester, Sale,Leicester, Newcastle fans are now S E English and Germans ? Laugh
Poor old Cuthbert must feel mighty confused about his id.
Being raised the wrong side of the Dyke.

Maes, but rugby aside
How the Japanse lessons going ? Whistle

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 23 Nov 2012, 5:05 pm

I don't think many of my welsh mates would like to be compared to the cheese eating surrender monkeys... Very Happy

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Fri 23 Nov 2012, 8:13 pm

Culturally, a hard grafting coal miner frow the north has exactly the same mindset, bitterness, goals, dreams, despair as his bretheren the island over. Ditto the ship builders, the cleaners, the factory workers etc etc. Its etched on our pysches.....Nothing to do with germans or italians. We're all genetically much of a muchness.....celts, saxons, frisians, jutes, 'vikings'....all hard working, hard fighting, hard drinking races that inhabited these isles over centuarys of assimilation......the working classes of our nation have the single most subjegated, colourful history of any peoples in the world.
South East just had the rub of the green is all.....and we all hate 'em for it. Myself included. (but don't hold it aginst us guv'nor)
Rugby wise? I like when Wales beat Oz or Nz or SA.....cos they're folks just like me.........only with a stranger accent and more sheep proximity!

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:16 am

gregortree wrote:Back to Rugby.
Exeter, Bath, Bristol, Glos, Worcester, Sale,Leicester, Newcastle fans are now S E English and Germans ? Laugh
Poor old Cuthbert must feel mighty confused about his id.
Being raised the wrong side of the Dyke.

Maes, but rugby aside
How the Japanse lessons going ? Whistle

非常によく、私の日本語は良いです

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sat 24 Nov 2012, 8:58 am

ultra wrote:South East just had the rub of the green is all.....and we all hate 'em for it. Myself included.

What a malcontent you are. That's a lot of people to 'hate', and to hate people for their dint of birth is pretty pathetic. And who's this 'we' you're banging on about? Because i've met a lot of blue collar workers the country over that you seem to be talking for and they are some of nicest people i've met and lacking in hate for anyone regardless of where they're from.

Have you ever spent time in the SE? or SW? Or are people from these places just the scapegoats for your own failings? HOw in anyway is a factory worker from London or a docky from Southampton any different to the blue collar grafters you described? We're really not that bad, but whatever floats your boat, enjoy your bitterness. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by AlastairW on Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:04 am

DOMO ARIGATO MR ROBOTO.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:15 am

Welsh Grandmother and Granddad one of them had Irish parents , other side Irish Grand mother with some Spanish heritage,My Granddad was English Shocked He had Scottish parents thou,so English due to being born in the wrong postcode OK
Outside of that close shave no traceable English in the family until i married an English woman Doh Only the mother inlaw is English thou but she has French and German heritage , the father inlaw is Maltese and moved here in his early 20's,his heritage is very broad from Italian to Persian even French.

So as you can see even from less than a century of family history my kids will grow up a real mismatch of heritage but cal themselves Welsh even my young lad is a proud Welsh man who loves rugby.

So i don't get this whole true Briton stuff,home is where the heart is as they say.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:21 am

AlastairW wrote:Wrote a robust defence to:
ultra wrote:South East just had the rub of the green is all.....and we all hate 'em for it. Myself included.

My maternal grandfather was a West Yorkshire miner in the 30s. After the war his health was not good enough to return down the pits - so he worked on the floor in an Iron foundry.
My dad is a Walthamstow boy, who met my mum while posted in Yorkshire. (He did play RL for Halifax though)
I was brought up as a northerner despite living throughout England (and Germany) and am proud of my heritage.

I have to say that Ultra is talking pap.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:40 am

LondonTiger wrote:
AlastairW wrote:Wrote a robust defence to:

My maternal grandfather was a West Yorkshire miner in the 30s. After the war his health was not good enough to return down the pits - so he worked on the floor in an Iron foundry.
My dad is a Walthamstow boy, who met my mum while posted in Yorkshire. (He did play RL for Halifax though)
I was brought up as a northerner despite living throughout England (and Germany) and am proud of my heritage.

I have to say that Ultra is talking pap.

He really is. One side of my family comes from the son of a Harley street dentist and a high court judge, and the daughter of a Welsh primary teacher and an artilliery solider; i've had the privledge of having one foot in both 'classes' if you will. I've had some of the best times of my life in some of the roughest towerblock estates in west london and likewise in country house parties.

People regardless of geography or station can be utter tools, but unless i end up as bitter old man, i have to believe that the majority of people throughout society are overall a decent bunch and i personally can't 'blame' someone for being born into money or poverty, north or south.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:43 am

Mate, that is the best upbringing to have... so balanced.

You'll never be a GOM. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:47 am

Linebreaker wrote:Mate, that is the best upbringing to have... so balanced.

You'll never be a GOM. Very Happy

thumbsup

I have no idea what a GOM is though Sad

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:49 am

Sorry, I substituted 'grumpy' for bitter.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:51 am

Linebreaker wrote:Sorry, I substituted 'grumpy' for bitter.

ahh i see! Doh thanks for connecting the dots.

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:53 am

OK

So quiet in here. The main antagonists must be late risers or having a day off.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:58 am

Linebreaker wrote: OK

Maybe this therapy session worked and they finally got bored?

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 24 Nov 2012, 10:07 am

Maes
well done on your Japanese progress. thumbsup
Pob Lwc to Wales, would love to see ABs beaten on this tour.
Nothing against the ABs, they set the standard but would just love to see AWOP/GGs reaction. Not likely maybe... but would be sweet.
Pob Lwc mate OK

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 24 Nov 2012, 10:19 am

gregortree wrote:Maes
well done on your Japanese progress. thumbsup
Pob Lwc to Wales, would love to see ABs beaten on this tour.
Nothing against the ABs, they set the standard but would just love to see AWOP/GGs reaction. Not likely maybe... but would be sweet.
Pob Lwc mate OK

Cheers, I have actually spoken basic Japanese for thirty odd years, useful for work. Thanks for the well wishes, need all the luck we can get today. Bit of blwdi minded pragmatism and aggression wouldn't hurt either. I'd like to see the ABs lose just to see Wales win. Its been a while since we won the GS and its been very deflating.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Sat 24 Nov 2012, 10:50 am

AlastairW wrote:

What a malcontent you are. That's a lot of people to 'hate', and to hate people for their dint of birth is pretty pathetic. And who's this 'we' you're banging on about? Because i've met a lot of blue collar workers the country over that you seem to be talking for and they are some of nicest people i've met and lacking in hate for anyone regardless of where they're from.

Have you ever spent time in the SE? or SW? Or are people from these places just the scapegoats for your own failings? HOw in anyway is a factory worker from London or a docky from Southampton any different to the blue collar grafters you described? We're really not that bad, but whatever floats your boat, enjoy your bitterness. Rolling Eyes

Not really bitterness....just a fact of life in an attempt to answer the original question. Individual and unique cases aside the answer to the question is really quite simple. It started 1600+ years ago with the changing of the guard of the ruling classes and has continued to this day in the form of class, opportunity and affluence. Just look at national weather forecasts in the last few winters......'Snow causes Chaos this week across the nation'.....which should infact read 'snow has been causing choas for weeks across large swathes of the nation but only now has it hit the sarf east' 'Tis true. (Although I obviously didn't ean 'hate' far too strong a word). Put a SE post code into the web and then put a working class town from the north, scotland, wales and see the difference in life expectancy etc etc. Not bitter about it....them's the facts.

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Sat 24 Nov 2012, 10:50 am

....and btw.....the working class eastender is just as much a part of the downtrodden great unwashed as the rest of us....you're correct Smile

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:28 am

The main protagonists are out sharpening their knives, filing their teeth, drinking their ceremonial pre-match elixers, and sacrificing the chickens. Soon to return and ready to rumble.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:02 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

The main protagonists are out sharpening their knives, filing their teeth, drinking their ceremonial pre-match elixers, and sacrificing the chickens. Soon to return and ready to rumble.

More likely being forced by their housemasters to finish their prep before they are allowed to watch the game on the communal boarding house TV with all the bigger boys.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5