The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do only Wales and England fans argue?

+35
Bathman_in_London
Huwball
senghenydd1913
maestegmafia
RuggerBoy
Submachine
tecphobe
lostinwales
Mr Fishpaste
dragonbreath
George Carlin
emack2
HammerofThunor
doctor_grey
Cyril
nobbled
offload
Biltong
HERSH
Feckless Rogue
SecretFly
EnglishReign
rodders
Gibson
MunsterMac
englandglory4ever
ScarletSpiderman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
majesticimperialman
Geordie
Luckless Pedestrian
gregortree
AlastairW
RubyGuby
RogerLewis
39 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Why do only Wales and England fans argue? - Page 2 Empty Why do only Wales and England fans argue?

Post by RogerLewis Mon 19 Nov 2012, 14:13

First topic message reminder :

Why? Why do they bicker? Why do they wind each other up? Why are 99% of Welsh articles written by an English fan called HERSH? I find the rivalries and inferiority complexes rather perplexing.

Scottish people hate (not all) English people
English people hate (not all) French people
Welsh people take a dislike to England and pretend they're a member of some kind of post WWII Celtic pact.

but... only the Welsh and English argue on there boards. Why? I can't remember seeing an Irish or a Scot winding each other up. not even Oz and Kiwis!! The closest thing rugby has to football fans is us Welsh and English Sad

I'm vocal, I write a lot of stuff but rarely is it not about Wales.

Last edited by RogerLewis on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:36; edited 1 time in total

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Why do only Wales and England fans argue? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do only Wales and England fans argue?

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:41

Patronisation is in the eye of the beholder EG4E - I am offering you an olive branch to a world of inter national debate, rivalry and banter - Its a great place to be - Come on board and enjoy the discssions - free you're soul up a little thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Why do only Wales and England fans argue? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do only Wales and England fans argue?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:43

gregortree wrote:Kiwi
We really need Strictly judges to vote on the AB Haka.

Orchestra drumroll
Craig: bah
Antonioni: warning
Len: Rolling Eyes
Darcy: Cry

Spoiler:

Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:45

RubyGuby wrote:
Biltong wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Lets cut to the chase lads and acting in my old 606 name the real cause of this is that deep down these peoples from both nations have great inferiority complexes and much of how they feel deep within their psyche is rooted in how their national team perfoms - If either Wales or England win then the other with this deep rooted angst feels violated and a lesser person. This then manifests itself with purile posts of ridicule to try and balance the fragile psyche. Conversley a win causes the weak individial to temprarily like their foe in a rather superior and patronising sort of way.

My advice to these poorly afflicted individuals is to try some classic Freudian reaction-formation techniques and/or read or keep a copy of Kiplings "If" handy - Genuinely it will help with the inner angst and make you a far nicer person all round. Simples really thumbsup
Rubyguby, on the basis of that objective and forthright analysis, I have fired my therapist, can I see you next monday?

If only you knew what my day job was Bilt - do you? Hug
Not relevant mate, can you help me? Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:48

I can help anyone mate - that's what rugby mates do - You moving house or soemthing thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:49

Laugh

Therapy mate, THERAPY,

And no I am not moving house, but I could have used you last week when I cleaned the Garage.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:52

Yeah I can sort the therapy bit for you no prob. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:55

It's banter. If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined. Sadly there are plenty from both sides of the dyke who joined and have had a sense of humour bypass.

Some Welsh do have a chip on their shoulders about the "English Overlords" of old, and some English just can't help but come across as patronising please insert your own insults here.

The fun part is that the see-saw of our respective rugby teams success against one another changes often enough that both sets of blowhards get to look pretty silly fairly often! Roll on the six nations - reckon it's our turn to be on the up!

nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:56

Well said nobbled clap clap but we have beaten you on the last 2 occasions home and away Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:37

My dad's Welsh and my mum's English. I hate it when Wales play England because I spend the whole 80 minutes punching myself.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:39

Acid test: if you were selected, which cap would you take ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:40

gregortree wrote:Acid test: if you were selected, which cap would you take ?

We'd nab im for Ireland. The Man is Class.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:42

Ok 6 Nations then: who will predict the tables ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:43

Luckless, you just got capped for Ireland mate. Now you really have a few problems. Laugh

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:44

Oh, Wales every time. But my mum was a first-class hooker.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:00

rodders wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:
I'm too tired to list the quasi-Welsh players.

Let me get this right.....are you calling Adam jones a hunchback?
Laugh To be fair, I'm not sure if Jones is a hunchback but he is the lovechild of a poodle and a pork pie.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:49

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:laughing:
And you've just lived up to the English fan stereotype EG4 Whistle

It takes 2 to tango.
This is clearly one of the more enjoyable threads I have read in a while. And maybe this sums up the England-Wales thingy:

It does not always take two to tango.
There are always those who prefer to tango by themselves, imagining all kinds of........things about their cousin on the other side of "The Dyke' (we could have fun with that line, eh?). Some of those people are the wums who are at the epicentre of this stuff. These "Dancing With Myself' types typically make 'small messes'. Eventually they will, of course, go blind as a result of thier own efforts, indulgences and antipathy towards others.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:53

RubyGuby wrote:Well said nobbled clap clap but we have beaten you on the last 2 occasions home and away Run

You're counting a World Cup warm up? Cor that's getting desperate. In competition it's 2:1 to England isn't it? boxing

Of course you're only as good as you're last game, apparently. Wales beat England didn't they? Obvious I'm talking about the last game Wales played against England, not their last game against anyone censored

And I like the French. My favorite team after England.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:57

I like the French too.

As an English fan my two favourite other sides are the French and Aussies.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:02

My next one is South Africa.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:03

HammerofThunor wrote:My next one is South Africa.
Yahoo One non SA fan, thanks mate you guys are scarce.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:04

My favs after Wales are NZ, always have been always will be - What a team - My first ever live game as a young child was the 1973 Baa Baas v New Zealand, what an introduction "what a score" (pun intended) thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:04

It's pretty obvious why we argue, because my wang is huge and theirs isn't raspberry

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:06

Wang is Japanese for overdraft - Have a word with a good IFA View thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:07

viewtothegym wrote:It's pretty obvious why we argue, because my wang is huge and theirs isn't raspberry
Wang- Afrikaans means cheek.

So hence I have to deduce you have the biggest cheecks. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:08

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:12

So we've established that view's big backside is overdrawn. Unfortunate position to be in Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:15

Not butt cheecks mate, the stuff between your ears and your nose. laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:16

Biltong wrote:Not butt cheecks mate, the stuff between your ears and your nose. laughing
With some folk I'm not sure that there is much distinction Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:18

I`m an Anglo-Scot but I don`t hate anyone BUT iit makes me smile when people here when wales and England fans have a go at each other.
Both sides have waxed and waned over the years BUT on matches against each
other England are just plus 2.
There record of Grand slams/championships are almost identical really both sides
have little to argue about over the other.
But of course someone will always find something to brag or whinge about won`t they.
I hope both sides do well in there next two matches given the perceived importance of the IRB ratings for the RWC.
Something which seems so important to the train spotters here.To me it does`nt matter all you have to do is win all your matches to win the thing.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:21

emack its plus 1 in Englands favour and we have them in Cardiff in the 6 Nations thumbsup

Not that I care like Whistle

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 20 Nov 2012, 07:45

HammerofThunor wrote:And I like the French. My favorite team after England.

France are my second team, too.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 20 Nov 2012, 07:49

I hate joggers more than jogging itself.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 20 Nov 2012, 09:39

George Carlin wrote:I hate joggers more than jogging itself.

+1, although I have a special kind of hate for those people who wear all the lycra kit, and then just walk with a water bottle in their hand and claim to be joggers!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 20 Nov 2012, 09:41

So Viewtothebathroom claims to have the largest overdrawn chops.
He certainly chops plenty on here so his claim sounds plausible.
Laugh
Emack's history of the neck-and-neck match record perfectly explains the closeness of past 6n /5n rivalry and probably why we argue so much.

England have the superior RWC record with 3 finals and being only NH side
to bring the cup home. rose No argument there.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Tue 20 Nov 2012, 15:11

RubyGuby wrote:Lets cut to the chase lads and acting in my old 606 name the real cause of this is that deep down these peoples from both nations have great inferiority complexes and much of how they feel deep within their psyche is rooted in how their national team perfoms - If either Wales or England win then the other with this deep rooted angst feels violated and a lesser person. This then manifests itself with purile posts of ridicule to try and balance the fragile psyche. Conversley a win causes the weak individial to temprarily like their foe in a rather superior and patronising sort of way.

My advice to these poorly afflicted individuals is to try some classic Freudian reaction-formation techniques and/or read or keep a copy of Kiplings "If" handy - Genuinely it will help with the inner angst and make you a far nicer person all round. Simples really thumbsup

Put a sock in it BBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. ITS JUSTA BIT OF FUN

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 20 Nov 2012, 15:15

I'm just having a bit of fun Dragon thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Tue 20 Nov 2012, 17:45

Do you guys get along better on the cricket forums? Or the lets have a discussion on Agincourt and Crecy forums (you see, fine examples of anglo-welsh co-operation)

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 20 Nov 2012, 17:58

Ireland v Wales 6N can cause some bickering, and once in a while Scot v Wales. Not sure I know what the common factor is though Run

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 21 Nov 2012, 01:48

RubyGuby wrote:Lets cut to the chase lads and acting in my old 606 name the real cause of this is that deep down these peoples from both nations have great inferiority complexes.....

Welsh have inferiority complexes English have self doubt. Some of the symptoms are similar but the end result is entirely different. (Some scots may haye the English but they dont seem to suffer from either problem as much)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 21 Nov 2012, 07:59

Mr Fishpaste wrote:Do you guys get along better on the cricket forums?

The problem doesn't arise in cricket because Welshmen, if they're good enough, play for 'England' (in full, the ECB is the England and Wales Cricket Board).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 21 Nov 2012, 08:50

"Welsh have inferiority complexes English have self doubt"

Yahoo
Yahoo Yahoo

Of course sir, inferiority one side and self-doubt the other thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 21 Nov 2012, 09:59

It is all about personal and national identity. True of all great passionate rugby nations. Wales & NZ fans especially have highly intertwined personal and national id closely wrapped up with their rugby tradition.

England has a larger more complex & cosmopolitan population, and a much more fuzzy idea of the national 'English' identity (whatever that is). It seesm to me English ruby fans are a little more detached, as rugby, is not such a national identifier. I always love England successes, I whoop & holler, but having been starved of late, it does not get me down. England have both succeeded & failed in the professional era and the fans have both celebrated & cursed the national rubgy set up, but like Kipling see success & failure as the twin imposters. England fans can take both in their stride. England rugby is often accused of lacking 'passion' which reflects the general population who tend to ignore it or laugh at rugby ... too busy with their wendyball passions. Hard core rugby fans identify with their AP club as much as with the national side...and that English civil war is onlt asleep for now.

Wales & NZ populations have a visceral attachment to the national teams successes & failures which are very personal to their sense of id. Fear of losing is almost a neurotic obsession. Euphoria of success like no other.
England, the mother father and big brother of the game, of the language, seems the coolly indifferent by comparison.

England the parent: the ultimate hate figure with all those resources & all that indifference. Plus a few bickerers on 606.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Wed 21 Nov 2012, 10:22

I live in cardiff so wales ireland is massive for me and is probably the biggest rivalry for me. Purely due to the amount of stick i can take. Not to mention the effect of the rabo

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Wed 21 Nov 2012, 11:01

The reason the English/Welsh rivalry is so pronounced is because each side enjoys it so much. As a species we are drawn to conflict. We will argue anything with anyone, anytime, anyplace. Ever argued with someone you dislike even if you secretly agree with them just for the hell of it?

Humans v Space monsters
Southern Hemisphere v Northern
East V West
Europe v America (Ryder cup)
England V Wales
Leinster V Munster
Parish v Parish
School V School
Neighbour v Neighbour (biggest Christmas light display)
Brother V Brother
And if there’s nobody around to argue with we'll argue with ourselves.

The thing is, the most lasting conflicts are the local rivalries. The reward of getting one over your neighbour is more gratifying than a win over anyone else, especially if the history of that conflict is fairly even. If you get two dogs of similar size in a pack and neither back down they will continue to fight until one gains outright superiority.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 21 Nov 2012, 15:29

Good Old BBC explains it all:
Both Cohen and Schaumberg also make a clear distinction between guilt and shame - a trait linked to low self-esteem.
Whereas guilt is a negative evaluation of a particular action, shame is defined by these researchers as a negative judgement on the whole self.
Because shame is such a painful emotion, it is thought that people who suffer from it are more likely to externalise their behaviour by blaming others or the environment."

Yeah, blame the English. Laugh

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Wed 21 Nov 2012, 15:58

I was one of the lucky ones to be at Twickenham this year to watch us stuff (cough) the English. I was invited on a corporate day out by my sick brother-in-law who works for Caterpillar as the token Welshman amongst a crowd of Leicester, and therefore staunch England supporters. It was the best game I've ever been to, non-stop arguing from pre-match drinks to drunken after match round-up where I pointed out to all of them that Strettle was at least a metre short of the line (cough again). Not for a second did it sink into animosity, as someone else has said earlier, it felt just like a great big family squabble. Long may the arguing continue. As a passing shot they pointed out that in a 123 match history, England were one up with 56 wins against 55 with 12 draws and 12 grand slams to our 11. I've set it up nicely for a continued argument next time by having the last words - "Just wait 'til next year."

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 21 Nov 2012, 16:05

So net net: 2-0
oh plus a RWC +1

RuggerBoy
nice story though. Face to face we are all much nicer, good company with each other and we enjoy the banter. OK
Hope we can repay you at the Millenium in February.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 21 Nov 2012, 17:15

That's the thing: in person, it never goes further than banter. I work with a fair few blokes from Shropshire and let's just say they've enjoyed Wales's last two games more than I have!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 21 Nov 2012, 18:11

I watched the 2007 World Cup final in a Welsh working man's club. The whole place were chanting abuse towards England (the rugby team not the people). That was great fun. Let's just say my three years living in Wales and watching rugby in Wales put paid to any positive feeling I had to Welsh rugby. Used to be my second team (engaged to a Welsh girl, got into rugby due to Welsh father-in-law). They're a bit further down the list now though. Not a proper dislike but it does make me smile when they lose to 'weaker' sides.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Nov 2012, 18:16

HammerofThunor wrote:I watched the 2007 World Cup final in a Welsh working man's club. The whole place were chanting abuse towards England (the rugby team not the people). That was great fun. Let's just say my three years living in Wales and watching rugby in Wales put paid to any positive feeling I had to Welsh rugby. Used to be my second team (engaged to a Welsh girl, got into rugby due to Welsh father-in-law). They're a bit further down the list now though. Not a proper dislike but it does make me smile when they lose to 'weaker' sides.

You don't say. Never would have guessed (sarcasm intended).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next