The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England centres vs SA

+2
bluestonevedder
king_carlos
6 posters

Go down

What should be England's centre partnership against SA

England centres vs SA Vote_lcap58%England centres vs SA Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 15 ]
England centres vs SA Vote_lcap8%England centres vs SA Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
England centres vs SA Vote_lcap4%England centres vs SA Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
England centres vs SA Vote_lcap12%England centres vs SA Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]
England centres vs SA Vote_lcap15%England centres vs SA Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 4 ]
England centres vs SA Vote_lcap0%England centres vs SA Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
England centres vs SA Vote_lcap0%England centres vs SA Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
England centres vs SA Vote_lcap3%England centres vs SA Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 26

England centres vs SA Empty England centres vs SA

Post by king_carlos Mon 19 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm

Lots of debating going on at the moment (as always) about England centre partnership with many feeling Barritt/Tuilagi combination simply doesn't offer enough creativity in attack.

One fresh idea which is gaining momentum seems to be moving Tuilagi to wing - a strange thought IMO but not one I can't see the logic behind given Tuilagi passed around twice in the entire game vs Aus. The move would allow us to take advantage of his power coming off the wing and play another centre with better distribution.

Many also calling for Twelvetrees and Josephs inclusion as fresh faces.

Personally I'd keep Manu at 13 and bring Twelvetrees in at 12. Simple logic behind this really as to make use of Manu's power and our wings outside him we need to get the ball there and 36 is the best distributor we've got so lets use him! He's also got a siege gun of a boot which will hopefully take some pressure of Flood and cause Care to box kick less, when lets face it this isn't a strength in Cares game. Finally again with Twelvetrees kicking it would allow us to get Burns on the bench as it would take pressure of his tactical kicking if he came on.

I'd also welcome a chance being given to Anthony Allen as I feel he's the most rounded IC in the EPS and has been exceptional for the Tigers for several seasons now. Barritt has been similarly excellent at Sarries however and is a rock in defence. I simply feel he's a good player in the wrong team as we need a strong distributor to get the ball outwide.

For general debate that would give us a back-line of:

9.Care
10.Flood

11.Sharples
12.Twelvetrees
13.Tuilagi
14.Ashton
15.Goode

21.Youngs 22.Burns 23.Joseph

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

England centres vs SA Empty Re: England centres vs SA

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 19 Nov 2012, 3:43 pm

There's so much talk about switching the centre pairings around, but I honestly can't see SL changing Barritt and Manu for the final two games. Even though they've been incredibly one dimensional, I think the time has passed to mix it up, especially in the centre.

I quite like the idea of trying a 12. Barritt 13. Joseph 14. Manu partnership at some point, even though (and NOTE this): I think Manu is a 13.

I think Twelvetrees is the future 12, and could work so well with Burns at 10 too. I just don't think the time is right now. Maybe 6 Nations?

As much as I like Barritt, he's got to start showing a little more to his game against the better oppositions.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 19 Nov 2012, 6:18 pm

I have gone for Twelve trees and Joseph.

I agree that i dont think that Lancaster will change Tualaghi and Barrit for the next 2 games unless he has too ( injury ) etc etc.

But i just think that these 2 should be given chance the sooner the better.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Nov 2012, 6:23 pm

I mentioned on another thread Tuilagi at wing with a good centre partnership would really add a great deal.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Mon 19 Nov 2012, 7:00 pm

Similar to a number of people I think Twelvetrees is the long term answer at 12 and hope/expect him to be a principal candidate in the EPS and getting starts come the 6N (letting him bed in to his new club the first half of this season has been the right call). I don't however think that the next two games are the right time to debut him.

I also don't agree with some of the criticism of Barritt's performance of the weekend, the quality defence is a given, but he also carried well and showed good handling, all in all, one of our better backs. He wasn't flinging big miss passes out to the touchline (I know some think he is incapable), but when was he ever in a position to, with the introduction of Goode to the backline I think you have to consider the role he is being asked to play in the structures and moves they are looking to put into practice.

Regarding Allen, he was definitely in good form last season, but he hasn't hit those heights this, and I think people don't quite recognise what it is he excels at. Principally he's a running centre, good footwork and nice lines, he can pass well enough, but no better than Barritt and not a distributor like Twelvetrees. More than that though, it's not his first instinct. I've seen posters show evidence of this the last couple of seasons, and looking at the stats this season, it's again true. Allen has played 8 AP games, passed 28 times and offloaded twice, carrying almost twice as often, 52 times. Compare that to Barritt who has played 6 AP games, passed 36 times and offloaded three, carrying just a shade more often than he passes, 40 times.

Barritt - Allen

6 Matches 8
1 Tries 0
36 Passes 28
40 Carries 52
119 Metres carried 126
4 Clean breaks 0
3 Offloads 2
5 Defenders beaten 8
53 Tackles 61
3 Missed tackles 8

niwatts