The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England and the centres.

+6
Triangulation
Jhamer25
king_carlos
Ulster12
lostinwales
HQ matt
10 posters

Go down

England and the centres. Empty England and the centres.

Post by HQ matt Sat 26 Oct 2013, 9:46 pm

I think most of us England fans can agree on the team selection for the upcoming internationals, certainly the match day squad. There are one or two players that could alternate between starting and the bench but generally selection looks pretty set.

In the pack there are a couple of questions such as:
1) Is M.Vunipola's scrummaging solid enough to start?
2) Does Lawes' form warrant a start ahead of the incumbent 2nd rows?
3) Is Morgan playing well enough to keep his place?

In the backs most would agree that B.Youngs, Farrell, Yarde, Ashton and brown probably deserve to start.

So the big area of uncertainty is the centres. Although not everyone will agree but barritt and tuilagi have brought some consistency and impact to this area of the team and have largely played well in positions that england really struggled in before their emergence. With both of these guys out injured it leaves us looking inexperienced in roles that are key to defence and attacking creativity, got to be honest it worries me. What makes this worse is the fact that none of the replacement candidates are setting the world alight at AP level. The players retained in the training squad are 12trees, trinder and tomkins (i believe). Now 12trees has long looked a test player in the making but I would be much happier if he was introduced to this series alongside a centre partner with caps and the other two guys have no test experience whatsoever.

So questions for everyone: Do you share my concerns for the england centres this autumn?
Which one of: 12trees, trinder, tomkins, burrell and eastmond, do you think will exceed expectations?

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

England and the centres. Empty Re: England and the centres.

Post by lostinwales Sat 26 Oct 2013, 11:51 pm

Its not easy and I dont think we can take who was released and who was kept to be an indicator, given that Eastmond has been out injured and could do with the game time. Doesnt sound like Burrell did his chances any harm either.

36 seems a certainty, and he is a good player who should do well. There doesnt seem to be a 'complete player' available for 13 - but all the alternatives do offer something.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulster12 Sun 27 Oct 2013, 7:28 pm

I think they'll go with Tomkins at 13. To have a powerful runner in midfield a la Manu. In combination with 12Trees kicking and passing game it could work pretty well. Won't be a combination to put a scare into any SH team but they could surprise us!

Ulster12

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:20 pm

I've said this on many thread now so apologies if I'm sounding like a broken record. With Manu out I'd pick my centre partnership with a view to getting the ball outwide and attacking across the entire width of the pitch rather than just between the 15m tramlines as we have for far too long now. Narrow game plans such as it are simply too outdated now and far too easy for the top teams to defend against.

As such I'd go with Twelvetrees and Trinder as they both offer a strong passing game along with some much needed familiarity in what will be a new look back line.

9.Youngs 10.Farrell - Have had significant game time as a partnership and Farrell's defensive work should be significant with inexperience outside him.

12.Twelvetrees 13.Trinder - As said above both will allow the ball to reach the wings and are familiar with each others game. Twelvetrees also has the bulk to take it up the centre if required and Trinder the acceleration to make an outside break.

11.Yarde 14.Wade - Both have electric pace, Yarde lots of power, Wade great feet. They would allow us to offer a real threat down each wing as we haven't for seasons now (pretty much since Robinson retired embarrassingly). Both can also create trys for others as well as finish which is what sets them apart from Ashton IMO.

15.Brown - The form full back in the Prem for seasons now and deserves his chance. Offers a general at the back who will work with his wingers on the counter and is a rock under the high ball.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:36 pm

Vunipolo as good as he is around the park shouldn't be close to an internaitonal stage on his scrummaging (I mean Rhys Gill is like our 4th choice looseahead and ois ten times a better scrummager than Vunipolo)
Shouldn't start against a tactical scrummaging team like New Zealand or a just dominent scrummaging teama like Argentina.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon 28 Oct 2013, 11:21 am

I think we'll go for Tomkins to partner Twelvetrees.

I'm not sure if that is the best decision or not. It looks solid enough and perhaps against Australia that is what we should be aiming for in the backline? Defensive solidity first and foremost (against a very dangerous back division) and one which does also offer some basic attacking go forward and draw and pass ability when we have the ball and are on the front foot.

I'm not entirely convinced that we should be looking to swing the ball wide at every opportunity vs the Aussies?

Hooper vs Robshaw in a footrace to the breakdown in the wider channels......there is only one winner and unfortunately it is not our Captain.

I think we use Tomkins to straighten the line, commit defenders and have Yarde and Ashton coming off the blind wing to hit space and creat overalps on the outside when and if it is on.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 Oct 2013, 11:30 am

king carlos sorry to disappoint you but I doubt Wade will start. Especially with a new centre partnership and new winger (Yarde) already expected in the backline.

Jhamer25 I wouldn't say that Rhys Gill is 10 times better than Mako. About equal in my opinion though Mako is far better around the park.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 28 Oct 2013, 12:29 pm

Apart from one 20 minute spell in Aus, Mako did extremely well, and that 20 minutes was more due to poor reffing that an absence of skill.

Not quite in the Corbs class of scrumaging, but not many are.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Mon 28 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

Goode should partner 36, Brown needs to play FB, and we have lots of wing options!

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by South West Saint Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:30 pm

While I'd love to see Twelvetrees and Trinder together I can see them going for Tomkins as a more direct option, with either Trinder or Foden on the bench. On a slight side note, Burell has been on fire this season, putting in another top draw performance this weekend, nice to have options in our untried depth.

South West Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Mon 28 Oct 2013, 3:39 pm

Burrell or eastmond could still be selected but I think we have to assume that the starters will come from the players retained, bar injury.

With 12trees being the only 12 it does look like a straight shoot out between trinder and tomkins. As I understand it tomkins has been behind wyles for the 13 shirt at sarries, so on form it has to be trinder, a club combination in the centres. Only problem is Gloucester havent started the season well, this will definatly be an area of weakness.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down