The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

+22
Kenny
Ozzy3213
ChequeredJersey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Thomond
Mick(TEFC)
WillyGilly
Gibson
The Boss
Biltong
Luckless Pedestrian
perthshirepuma
prop_lyd
Notch
Hound_of_Harrow
littleswannygirl
PenfroPete
Glas a du
Cari
MrsP
PJHolybloke
Pal Joey
26 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh - Page 6 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

Post by Pal Joey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 7:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello and welcome to the Virtual Rugby Pub, a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The pub has made its way to Hopetoun House, Edinburgh - where the Management Team for the 2013 British & Irish Lions tour party to Australia was announced.

“This is the next chapter in the 2013 tour story," said tour manager Andy Irvine.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no tampering with the pictures of Warren Gatland,
Andy Farrell, Shaun Edwards, Kiwi Pete's Grandfather, Rava, Rodders, Andy Irvine, Graham Rowntree, Dr James Robson,
Paul Stridgeon, Kip Keino, Baggage Master Patrick O’Reilly and Lawyer Max Duthie above the bar.

Ale Smile coffee guinness cider Yahoo RedWine Bubbly Hug Ale cuppa guinness thumbsup

Previous Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t37870p950-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub-dubai

Last edited by Linebreaker on Tue 01 Jan 2013, 1:11 am; edited 2 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:43 am

Glas a du wrote:Mogliano were poor, but the Dragons played with some style in the rain.

First half we played pretty well, but none of our tries came from proper back-line moves and we really dropped the intensity in the second half. Still, a win's a win. Dan Evans really looks like he could grow into the outside half role, and it could work out well as Tom Prydie's said he considers himself a full back.

Must get a ticket for the Blues game on Boxing Day.

And bore da pawb / good morning all, my last working Monday of the year! Very Happy

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:48 am

Why have 'proper back line moves' if you can rely in instinct to score?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:53 am

That was more in reply to Rev's question about us trying out moves ahead of the Blues game, Glas. It's great that we scored off-the-cuff tries, but it's not great that we had to rely on instinct. The Blues' defence won't be as weak as Mogliano's.

Then again... Whistle

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:59 am

Personally I enjoyed seeing players back themselves. Coaches are too conservative. Not losing is more important than winning.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:02 am

I agree with you. My point is that you can't rely solely on players' instinct. Yes, you want them to play heads-up rugby, but against better teams it's less likely there'll be space when they look up. That's when a good pre-planned move can work, even if only to create space in subsequent phases.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:10 am

Aye. The French way, moves are only to get you through their line on first phase, from there it's up to you.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:22 am

And players have to be given licence to abort a planned move when it's obvious it's not going to come off, or when a better option presents itself. Switches of play, a kick if a defender's drifted out of position, whatever it is. That's the ideal combination of pre-planned moves and player instinct.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:03 am

Exactly, that's why I love French rugby, and the fact that they are unreliable, capable of genius and lunacy within moments of each other, and that they can't be bothered if they are not enjoying themselves.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:18 am

They don't die wondering, do they?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:30 am

Morning all....this time enxt week will be my last dy in work before a week off!! Can't ruddy wait!

Also rather looking forward to the meet this Friday...what time and where is everyone meeting?
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:32 am

Penfro's thinking of the Westgate, Prop.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:35 am

Ok cool, blydi long walk for me then!! Hoping i'll get there for 6.30ish.
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:37 am

Wherever we go will probably be heaving!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:46 am

They don't call it mad Friday for nothing.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh - Page 6 3845856932

+

Whisky

=

boxing kiss vomit
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:52 am

England win their first Test series in India since 1985! clap

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:57 am

Yes, I've just posted congrats on the Test thread. A mighty effort to win in India. Well done England! clap Ale

They totally dominated those last 3 Tests and it must feel good to make amends for the home loss... which seems ages ago now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:16 am

It's always good to break a long-standing barren spell. You know, like not having won the Ashes since '87... Whistle

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:25 am

It's even better having an 8 Ashes series winning spell. I thought Ashes cricket might die at one stage. Whistle

It get's a bit boring near the end of a long spell at the top though... I was almost praying for a loss just to shut them up! Laugh

We've had quite a few long held records broken in the last few years. Ashes (24 years at home), Scotland (28 years in Oz) in the rugby, lost a hockey trophy here?, numerous long held swimming/cycling records (or holding world records for a few hours before they get broken usually by the UK/USA/China, etc), NZ in the RL World Cup... I'm sure there's a few I've missed.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

Linebreaker wrote:It get's a bit boring near the end of a long spell at the top though

I'll have to take your word for it!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 17 Dec 2012, 12:05 pm

It's only sport after all. Very Happy

You start to begin asking yourself... "What next?" or "Is it really that important?"

Then when you drop like a stone down the rankings or whatever and 'get found out' by other teams the 'hunger' slowly and painfully comes back as you struggle to urge your team back to their wining ways. However, all the coaches will have been poached and they have to start the re-build from first principles again - which can either take a few years minimum, perhaps a decade or never again for all we know?

That's the tough bit. Whistle

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 17 Dec 2012, 2:31 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:It get's a bit boring near the end of a long spell at the top though

Laugh

Cracked up when I read that.

Yeah, it was boring as hell when Wasps were winning 10 cup finals on the bounce between 1999 and 2008. Plus winning every senior trophy there was during that period.

We've decided to ease off and give the other teams a shot.

Whistle

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:36 pm

Very Happy

How did you manage any of that with Howley The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh - Page 6 1054138444

Just done my bit with nominations in Bsando's awards of the year (sticky in International section)

Whistle
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:58 pm

Howley was a Wasps legend despite only playing for us for two seasons. Won us the HC see.
Smile

We were then very fortunate to have two more excellent 9s in Dawson and Reddan to follow him (well Reddan was excellent for a couple of seasons).

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:08 pm

I wasn't talking about his play, didn't he coach Wasps for a bit?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:09 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

drumroll
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:51 pm

Evening All coffee

Jebus..if you thought Tommy's injury was bad, spare a thought for poor Lee Byrne. He's broken a bone in his back! Shocked Sounds hoo-rendous! Poor dab.

Prop - I'll just turn up when I can. Apparently it is "Black Friday" when Cardiff suddenly goes doo-lally before Christmas. It took me nearly two hours to get home from work last Friday and I suspect this weekend will be the same or worse. I might make it for half time then... Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:15 pm

Glas - yup, Howley coached our backs when he retired, but he also had Alex King helping out. Kingy was a very underrated 10, who was as good a tactical kicker as any in his day.

Good luck with the meet up on Friday you Welsh regs.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:32 pm

Dreamer, Subsbench and I will be in our Christmas party The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh - Page 6 3602195817
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:34 pm

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh - Page 6 3602195817

Enjoy.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:39 pm

Oh yes. Looking forward to handing out the prize for the Bubbly moment...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm

Been a good year for me sportswise (playing but mostly watching)

England finish off India in the cricket and Quins A smash Saracens Storm to win the A-League Final Yahoo
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:02 am

Hi.

Off to Petra today. Can't flipping wait. It's 3am and I'm up in 3 hours, but like a kid at Christmas. First wonder I've seen, since Rodney Parade.

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Tue 18 Dec 2012, 4:06 am

For some reason I agreed to start work at 5am today. This is both wrong, stupid and inhumane on a vast number of different levels. I'm already behind on my sleep this week.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Tue 18 Dec 2012, 4:10 am

Got a friend a wooden leg for Christmas. It's not his main present though. Just a stocking filler...

Oh boom baby!!! Even at 4am I still gots it!!
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Dec 2012, 7:41 am

Risca Rev wrote:Hi.

Off to Petra today. Can't flipping wait. It's 3am and I'm up in 3 hours, but like a kid at Christmas. First wonder I've seen, since Rodney Parade.

Enjoy. It looks stunning.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 18 Dec 2012, 7:49 am

Risca Rev wrote:Hi.

It's brill Rev.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Dec 2012, 8:43 am

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Tue 18 Dec 2012, 9:08 am

Morning all, man this week is getting stupidly busy at the moment!! Roll on time off from 3pm Christmas Eve!!

Cari, MrsProp is going to have to practically fly from Tredegar House to get to mine for 6.30ish from the sounds of it then!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Dec 2012, 9:13 am

You don't finish until Christmas Eve? That's a bit harsh!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 18 Dec 2012, 9:41 am

Bore da pawb, just to confirm for the regs attending the Blues v Scarlets, the meeting place is THE WESTGATE

http://www.cardiffpubs.co.uk/Pub.php?Pub=Westgate

http://www.sabrain.com/westgate
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 18 Dec 2012, 9:44 am

Interesting carpet at the Westgate, Pete.
I bet it could tell a few stories. Wink
Wish I could be there....

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:07 pm

Looking for something completely different i came accross this in "Ammanford and the Spanish Civil War":

"Another character that no writer could invent was W. J. Davies, better known locally as Wil Castell Nedd (Wil Neath). A miner from a strong socialist family, he left the mines when he realised he could make money in the summer from winning sprint races at fairs and carnivals across the South West of England and in the winter from playing rugby, firstly with back-handers and “expenses” as an amateur at Llanelli and later as a Rugby League professional in Yorkshire. He had been a professional for Batley Rugby League Club from 1928 and at the time of volunteering he was in the process of negotiating a transfer to Huddersfield. Sometime in late November 1936 he received a letter from his Ammanford friend, Sam Morris, suggesting that they should both go to Spain. Davies immediately caught the midnight train from Batley and was in Pantyffynnon, Ammanford, by 7.30am. In his own words:

"After having breakfast with my parents I went to Sam's, we understand each other. At the weekend we went to Cardiff ... We were directed to Victoria Station to get a return to Paris .. There were about a dozen Britions there ... We stayed at Perpignan a night. The French border police let us through without even looking at our passports. Then on to Barcelona where we met a lot of Canadians in barracks there ... Two days later we were in Valenacia ... Albacete one day later ... The following day there was some organising for the International Brigades with the British Battalion taking some shape." (Quoted in Miners Against Fascism, Hywel Francis, 1984, page 164.)

The return ticket to Paris was to lead border police to believe they were tourists who intended to return to Britain."

Perhaps modern rugby players should be read that sort of thing the next time they play badly because they are a bit tired and havn't had much time for group hugs...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:30 pm

Fascinating read that Glas. Like all horrific situations, the best of people must have been on display during that war as well as the very worst.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:38 pm

The ultimate corporate d*ck move- very happy I don't have instagram, but sure I already am a very active facebook user. The monetisation of all the content on there for advertising is well documented.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20767537

Facebook does of course own instagram. Instagram, like any forum or social network of any kind, IS the content generated by its users. This is a big moment in the history of the internet. The % of instagrams user base that stays and the % that leaves will shape the future intersection of social media and commerce.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:09 pm

Isn't Instagram just a thing that makes your photos look old? I've never seen the point of that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:13 pm

Yes it is. Kind of funny, when you step back and look at it at one remove. Black and white Oliver Twist is on Channel 4 right now. Stone cold classic.

How are you Lucky? Saw the latest photo of you and the pooch. My she's grown.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

I'm good thanks Notch, can't wait 'til Friday now - an early finish and then the pub meet ahead of the Blues v Scarlets.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was labelling barrels out in the yard.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 18 Dec 2012, 5:19 pm

Evening All coffee

I LOVE pre-Xmas time in work (despite the fact I have a cold raspberry ). Everyone in our room wore something silly and festive today. I was wearing some fluffy penguin ear-muff things Smile We had our Xmas dinner which was absolutely lush, my team mates loved the pressies I gave them. There'll be more jollies all week I expect The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh - Page 6 3602195817

Hope everyone's well.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 18 Dec 2012, 5:42 pm

Alroysh Cari Smile

Our place is never festive at Christmas for some reason. Everyone's far too focussed on work.

Still, only two more days to go for me before I break for a few days. Back in on the 27th 28th & 31st. I'm the only fire marshal cover on our floor on those days, and the senior director is concerned. Only because we could cop a serious fine if anything happens and there's no one there who is a trained fire marshal. It's a legal requirement.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Tue 18 Dec 2012, 5:44 pm

If anyone knows where my time to stop and think has gone please let me know!! Going to be nice to slow down for a bit come Saturday!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next