The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Insert name here] sacked by Blackburn

+13
GSC
Crimey
Fernando
Il Gialloblu
dyrewolfe
James_182
spencerclarke
Good Golly I'm Olly
jeromedubois
Duty281
dancingweeman
NickisBHAFC
Corporalhumblebucket
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[Insert name here] sacked by Blackburn Empty [Insert name here] sacked by Blackburn

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Berg sacked after 57 days in charge. As well as the manager, the assistant manager, first team coach and goalkeeping coach also sacked. They've probably listened to criticism that they kept Kean on too long - and decided that the Chelsea approach to hiring and firing may work better....

Now Michael Appleton has been sacked as well. (19/03/13)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

[Insert name here] sacked by Blackburn Empty Re: [Insert name here] sacked by Blackburn

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Mark Hughes to return !!!!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

[Insert name here] sacked by Blackburn Empty Re: [Insert name here] sacked by Blackburn

Post by dancingweeman Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:01 pm

What a farce.

A manager who had them at the top of the league was forced out, an ex player who was a fan favourite is hired and lasts less than 2 months.

Firstly - Berg should've been given more time, and secondly, maybe the fans might realise Steve Kean wasn't so bad now!

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:07 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Mark Hughes to return !!!!

I'd very much doubt his ego would allow his great self to drop down to the Championship Nick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Just another reason why there should be a proper and absolute test put into place by the FA to stop owners buying clubs (especially foreign owners) when they have no clue how to run a football club. Venky's have taken Blackburn from a decent Premiership club to a laughing stock and in the bottom half of the Championship.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by jeromedubois Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:49 pm

dancingweeman wrote:What a farce.

A manager who had them at the top of the league was forced out, an ex player who was a fan favourite is hired and lasts less than 2 months.

Firstly - Berg should've been given more time, and secondly, maybe the fans might realise Steve Kean wasn't so bad now!

You have no idea what you on about. He has the 2nd worse record as a manager in Blackburn Rovers history. I would stick with Berg for 5 years suffer constant relegation rather than be promoted with Steve kean. Kean is a cancer, who destroyed brick by brick our club, and naively fooled the owners at the same time.

jeromedubois

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:00 am

Granted Kean got them relegated, but he also had you near the top of the league looking like you would be going back up at the first attempt.

As an outsider, i have no idea how/whether Kean destroyed the club "brick by brick," but to me it looks as though the owners have more (or at least as much) to do with the current situation than Kean.

Harshly treated in my opinion.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:50 pm

Apparantly Shebby Singh took training today. May god have mercy on your club
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:01 pm

The clubs quickly becoming a circus. I hope Blackburn manage to kick the owners out of the club as it's only going to get worse whilst they are there.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by James_182 Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Berg was never the right appointment in the first place; we needed an experienced manager at this level to steady the ship (look at Ipswich under McCarthy)

I feel the owners made the decision to bring Berg in as they thought it would get the fans on side, and completely over looked the experience factor.

Now more than ever, this is a crucial time in the season to make a swift and calculated appointment, before this entire season is a complete write off altogether.

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Don't hear Curbishley mentioned much when vacancies come up these days. Has he given up on football management? (wouldn't blame him!)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by James_182 Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Quote from Shebby Singh – ‘There have been no appointments made, nor will there be in the immediate future’

Does not exactly fill me with much joy, they cant make this as long and drawn out as last time, it will further damage any distant hope we have of a top 6...

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 am

As a Boro fan I can't help but notice the odd coincidence. After we beat you at Ewood Park, you got rid of Kean. After we played you at the Riverside, you get rid of Berg.

Speaking as an outsider I can't understand why Kean was sacked in the first place, as he looked to have you heading in the right direction (you were top of the league at one point).
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by jeromedubois Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:09 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:As a Boro fan I can't help but notice the odd coincidence. After we beat you at Ewood Park, you got rid of Kean. After we played you at the Riverside, you get rid of Berg.

Speaking as an outsider I can't understand why Kean was sacked in the first place, as he looked to have you heading in the right direction (you were top of the league at one point).

Steve Kean got sacked for having the second worse record in Blackburn Rovers history. Having 2 good months don't account for the 18 months of failure previously unfortunately.

jeromedubois

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Well I hope you don't have to go through what we did a few seasons ago.

We got rid of Gareth Southgate quite early in the season, while we were in the top 6...then appointed Gordon Strachan, who nearly sent us into League 1.

Best of luck. After listening to an interview with Shebby Singh it sounds like you're going to need it! Shocked
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Shebby Singh has revealed to BBC Radio Lancashire that the club want their next manager to accept a short-term contract.

The deal will then be extended if the new boss meets their specified targets.

Singh said: "If somebody has got the ambition, the knowledge and the experience, there will be people who will take the job.

"We are looking to offer a short-term contract with specific targets, and upon achieving those targets it will trigger off a longer-term contract.

"We're looking to reward success, not reward failure."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20898430

So nobody be surprised when the next guy is sacked at the end of the season. OK
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
So nobody be surprised when the next guy is sacked at the end of the season. OK
Or lasts to the end of the season, is given a new long term contract, and then sacked almost immediately afterwards..... Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:45 am

jeromedubois wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:As a Boro fan I can't help but notice the odd coincidence. After we beat you at Ewood Park, you got rid of Kean. After we played you at the Riverside, you get rid of Berg.

Steve Kean got sacked for having the second worse record in Blackburn Rovers history. Having 2 good months don't account for the 18 months of failure previously unfortunately.

Then why didn't they sack him after he got them relegated? Would've been much better timing given a new manager could've come in, brought some new players in over the close season and had some time to bed in. Maybe Berg would have been more successful if it was done this way round.

I just don't see the logic in letting "the man who got you relegated" keep his job, get you playing well enough to be at the top of the league and then sack him based on his performance the season before.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Blackburn has approached Blackpool over Michael Appleton....

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Hasn't he literally just become Blackpool manager?

Why would you go for him? Gonna have to pay serious compensation even if he wants to go! He is still hugely unproven. Strange
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 pm

What nonsense. Makes no sense what so ever and why would Appleton even want to manage that rubbish football club anyway.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

They don't have a clue do they?

Presumably, they'll go for McCarthy, Holloway and Dougie Freedman next.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews
#SSN understands Blackburn agree compensation with Blackpool for Michael Appleton. He is expected to be named Rovers boss within 24 hours

Looks like they got there man. Caretaker manager isn't doing too badly, 3 wins out of 3! Appleton has hardly set the world on fire at Blackpool in the limited time he's had there.

I hope for the sake of Blackburn fans it works out
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:40 pm

picard

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 am

Nothing manager for what is soon to be a nothing club
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by James_182 Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:13 am

Whilst I admit that the last 2 years have been nothing short of a utter shambles, I do object to Blackburn being called a ‘rubbish football club’ and a ‘nothing cub’.

We have a long and proud history, okay as mentioned the last couple of years have seen nothing but negatives, but that does not make the previous 137 years null and void.

As for Michael Appleton being a nothing manager, everyone has to start somewhere. He probably learned more in his tenure at Pompy than most managers do in a good few years in the hot seat.

Rather him than say McLeish who since leaving Rangers has belly flopped at every club he has been at…

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 am

And so around we go. I wish Appleton luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 am

Appleton is regarded as one of the best up and coming young coaches in the country, learnt his trade at Albion from I think around 30 after having to retire due to an awful injury.

Worked his way up from coaching the academy to being Woy's right hand man until Pompey came in for him. Certainly will be adept at dealing in "interesting" situations, such as at Portsmouth.

Although it would suggest something strange is going on at Blackpool. Oyston has always been a dodgy individual.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03 pm

100% agree with you Mat, Appo is still loved by us Albion fans, and rightly so. A tremendous coach, popular with all his players wherever he's gone, and deserves an opportunity to prove himself.

Slightly surprised at him leaving Blackpool so soon, not sure that it's fair for a manager to manage three clubs in a season, yet players can't play for three clubs in one season Headscratch

Tom Ince must be desperate to escape Bloomfield Road.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeromedubois Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Appleton is highly regarded i don't understand why Rovers fans are underwhelmed by this appointment realistically there isn't a whole lot out there in regards to good managers who would come to us. Yes some would point to Curbishley, Mick McCarthy prior to Ipswich, and Mcleish. Personally I would of taken Appleton from the very beginning. Good coach who is known for getting the best out his players. People will say his blackpool record isn't good, to which I say it is better than Kean's! Regardless of the win ratio, in comparion Appleton draw's far more games than loses.

Very good appointment in my view, he has learnt to work and not be affected by poor management from the boardroom. In a lot of ways it is a perfect fit. Toughest job for me is for Appleton to bring this uncontrolable wage bill down by selling the likes of Etuhu, Robinson, Givet, Formica, Henrique, Goodwillie, Linganzi, Slew, and all the deadwood. We need a ball winger midfielder and a right winger (Marc Pugh!!!!! bring him in!!!!)

jeromedubois

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:29 pm

I said the same thing about Cotterill. He was crap.

The manager is almost irrelevant in any case with the current ownership. The idea of giving a manager a short term contract to leave his club midseason is laughable. They just keep managing to make themselves a larger laughing stock.

Either the Venkys leave the football men to handle the football side, or Rovers stay in the Championship will be brief and negative.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:32 pm

I swear on 606 last week Shebby Singh said they wanted to bring in an experienced manager
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Shebby Singh is perhaps the biggest joke of the lot.

Thought the caretaker was seeing out Jan, seemed to be mending a broken locker room then boom.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:48 am

Olly wrote:I swear on 606 last week Shebby Singh said they wanted to bring in an experienced manager

Singh, despite his apparent position, wasn't even involved with the Appleton appointment.

The club is a shambles and the sooner the Venkys leave the better as far as Blackburn are concerned, I fear for them if they don't leave within a year.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Another day, another manager is sacked by Blackburn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21843906

Turning into a bit of a farce.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Indeed, we may as well have a 'who's been sacked by Blackburn today' thread Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Complete joke, as is there football club.

Appleton was hardly doing a bad job,yes they picked up a few defeats recently. But he could of had the summer to get a squad going for next season. He is a young manager ,and still has a long way to go.

tbf Appleton is a bit of a Football manager slut

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Nick why do you have to resort to insults like that? You make a good point but then let yourself down.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Just a joke, i like Appleton, i hope he can find a new club soon.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Jokes = funny

Insults = not funny

I can't believe they also sacked his staff - Darren 'Big Dave' Moore was in his first big coaching role, and they've sacked him because the old manager brought him in. He doesn't deserve that.

To be honest if I was a Blackburn STH I'd boycott the club for the rest of the season - turn up at the ground and put a banner saying 'Venky's out' on my seat. What an embarrassment to the football world they are.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeromedubois Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Absolutely livid.

Venky's a joke, and the sacking 2 managers within 3 months is crazy.

All I can say is that anyone who say's we deserve what we got is an absolute tool, and disgrace. When clubs like Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, and NUFC voiced their displeasure they are reverred as soon as a small club like Blackburn does we have the whole entire world of football who treats us with contempt when they don't even know half the story!!!!!!!!!

jeromedubois

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Just another message to the FA, if any were needed, that tighter control needs to be maintained over the ownership of clubs. Blackburn have been turned from a respected English club to a laughing stock in about 2 and a half years.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by James_182 Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:39 pm

The results and performances under Appleton were shocking.

I actually think the correct decision has been made, and am so glad Gary Bowyer is back in charge until the season ends, he should have been given the chance anyway back in January after the good work he done when Berg was canned.

The players really liked him and responded well to him, so for once a sensible decision I think by our owners.

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:12 pm

This is incredible. Can anyone have a turn?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 pm

As soon as the team goes on a bad run will the next manager be sacked also?

Listening back to the Shebby Singh interview on 606 when Berg was sacked, you wonder if some of the things he says, almost on a whim, are actually true
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Is it possible to change the title of a thread? Probably be more efficient if it was [Insert latest name] sacked by Blackburn.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:22 am

James_182 wrote:The results and performances under Appleton were shocking.

I actually think the correct decision has been made, and am so glad Gary Bowyer is back in charge until the season ends, he should have been given the chance anyway back in January after the good work he done when Berg was canned.

The players really liked him and responded well to him, so for once a sensible decision I think by our owners.
Forgetting that Appleton had a better record, results-wise, than Henning Berg did, and forgetting that he didn't get the chance to bring in the players he wanted, Gary Bowyer doesn't even want the job. He said so the last time round.

I watched the Damned United for the first time last night, and what has happened at Blackburn this season is like that film, only three times as long. Sacking a manager who's barely had time to get his tracksuit on ruins the credibility of your club, makes it less attractive to fans, players, coaches, the media, other managers...and to do it three times in one season is nothing short of scandalous.

Steve Kean was doing well at the start of the season - forget performances, it's results that matter - and the treatment of him by some Blackburn fans, plus the treatment of the club by its Board and owners, have contributed to the demise of a once-great football club.

Jack Walker must be turning in his grave, and I mean that with the utmost respect for what he did for your club and the town itself. His amazing achievements have been ground to dust by these clowns.

Back to top Go down

Post by James_182 Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:00 am

Don’t get me wrong, I actually liked Appleton, he talked a good game and seemed to have his head screwed on, however as we all know football is a results driven business, and our results have been relegation form over the last 8 games.

I will elaborate, 8 games played, 6 losses and 2 draws, 3 goals scored and 6 games registered with without scoring, on some occasions we had literally 1 or 2 shots on goal and seemed to be happy to sit back in our own half, we played with little desire or direction and now look like we set for the drop.

If any other club had have made this choice after this terrible run, no one would bat an eyelid, but as its Blackburn its fair game to have a pop.

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm

I think a lot of the animosity to the club stems from the personal abuse that Steve Kean received. There are ways to protest and there are ways not. Granted it was a few rather than the many but people remember these things. All in all the club is in a sorry state and chopping and changing managers will bring nothing but further disaster.

I just hope that there is a club left once the Venky's eventually get bored and move on

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:44 pm

You can't just sack someone because they've had a bad 8 games.

We've only won 1 of our last 12 i think, and scored 4 in about 10 games, thats relegation form. You need to show faith in a manager. You're gonna have bad spells.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next