The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5

+45
logie28
Ozzy3213
reallybored
MacKnocked-on
Dave.
Imperialbigdave
maestegmafia
Rory_Gallagher
Scot Abroad
GLove39
RDW
toml
Tramptastic
Hound_of_Harrow
IanBru
theslosty
RuggerRadge2611
johnnymonaghan
VinceWLB
Pete330v2
clivemcl
Golden
theshanker
WillyGilly
red_stag
MrsP
caz
jimbopip
UlstermaninGlasgow
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
neilthom7
Cari
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
Jenifer McLadyboy
Glas a du
Notch
Don Alfonso
Kingshu
George Carlin
Standulstermen
pete (buachaill on eirne)
The Great Aukster
rapidsnowman
Artful_Dodger
49 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5  Empty Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:40 pm

Preliminary Ulster squad has been announced - unfortunately Luke Marshall and Adam D'Arcy are ruled out. The former being a serious blow for Ulster.

Glasgow have been in excellent form recently, should be a good match.

Provisional Ulster squad to play Glasgow, Heineken Cup Pool 4, Fri 11th January, Ravenhill (kick off 8.00pm):

Ulster team:

(15-9): J Payne; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar;
(1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, L Stevenson, I Henderson, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, N McComb, R Wilson, P Marshall, M Allen, C Cochrane

Glasgow team:
15 Murchie 14 Maitland 13 Dunbar 12 Horne 11 DTH 10 Weir 9 Pyrgos

1 Grant 2 Hall 3 Low 4 Ryder 5 Kellock (Captain) 6 Eddie 7 Harley 8 Strauss

Subs: 16. MacArthur 17 Reid 18 N/A 19 Campbell 20 Swinson 21 Matawalu 22 Wight 23 Hogg

Last edited by Artful_Dodger on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm; edited 3 times in total

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5  Empty Re: Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5

Post by rapidsnowman Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:01 pm

You might want to edit the title and content, Ulster are at home.

Glasgow have been in excellent form recently and are at home - I think this could be really tight.

Provisional Ulster squad to play Glasgow, Heineken Cup Pool 4, Fri 11th January, Ravenhill (kick off 8.00pm):

G'wan Alster

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5  Empty Re: Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

Based on his last showing I'd have Macklin on the bench over Fitzpatrick, but maybe Anscombe wants DF to get some late game time to make him an option for France?

Surprised to see Tuohy in the squad as he must be a serious doubt - can't see him being risked with McComb playing well and Henderson available.

McComish and Wilson are the most likely to be left out from the backrow options.

Marshall will get the bench spot over Heaney, especially as he'll be alongside Allen and Cochrane. It's a bit surprising that Ricky Andrew doesn't feature as he played well last week and is the only genuine FB cover should Payne still be carrying his injury?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:11 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:You might want to edit the title and content, Ulster are at home.

Glasgow have been in excellent form recently and are at home - I think this could be really tight.

G'wan Alster

Doh - thanks. I don't know what on earth made me think this was away.

Last edited by Artful_Dodger on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Based on his last showing I'd have Macklin on the bench over Fitzpatrick, but maybe Anscombe wants DF to get some late game time to make him an option for France?

Surprised to see Tuohy in the squad as he must be a serious doubt - can't see him being risked with McComb playing well and Henderson available.

McComish and Wilson are the most likely to be left out from the backrow options.

Marshall will get the bench spot over Heaney, especially as he'll be alongside Allen and Cochrane. It's a bit surprising that Ricky Andrew doesn't feature as he played well last week and is the only genuine FB cover should Payne still be carrying his injury?

Surprised to see Tuohy as well - I was half hoping that Muller might be back for this but that was always a bit wishful. Payne has become one of our most important backs along with Pienaar and Jackson given that the cover isn't anywhere near the same standard. If he gets injured who will go to fullback? Gilroy?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:20 pm

Almost certainly Gilroy to FB. He has played there before and Cochrane might just be a better wing than Andrew is a FB.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:32 pm

Luke Marshall Crying or Very sad

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

Gutted for luke Marshall but paddy at 12 is great. Payne is to my mind the really worry. I have no qualms with henderson and Stevenson in the row with Diack at 6 calling the line out. Our back up options at 15 aren't good (Gilroy most likely) with Allen probably on the wing then.

We need a big game from our Cave, Wallave and PJ midfield.

Come on Ulster!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:34 pm

He'll have plenty more chances pete Smile Although it is a blow to him personally as much as Ulster with the 6N around the corner, he's easily one of the best options at 12 for Ireland.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:46 pm

Very difficult to guess the Glasgow team. They have nothing to play for in the HC but similarly won't be playing a Rabo league match until 10 February (and then against the might of Zebre only).

Toonie therefore has to weigh risking injury to the players he needs to secure a league playoff spot (and keep his job) with the possibility that they will be lacking match sharpness when the league resumes if he doesn't play them.

If a full Glasgow team plays, then Ulster are in for a scrap because Treviso genuinely got a stuffing in the last game. Problems for Glasgow will be lack of a genuine openside (Barclay and Fozzy still injured although Rob Harley has developed into a daisycutter of venom and quality), lack of a replacement tighthead of the same quality as Big Mike Cusack and Toonie's insistence in playing Hogg at 13 where clearly he doesn't want to be.

Ulstermen everywhere cross your fingers that Graeme "can't pass, won't pass" Morrison is on the park. As shown against Treviso, a period of injury thankfully has done nothing to increase his glacially slow pace or alter his crapulent lack of vision for which he is so rightly famed.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 08 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

only real questions for Ulster is what option we go for at 5, 6 and 8?

Henderson, Diack and Wilson I think, Willaims on bench with Tuohy (if fit enough)/McComb

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 08 Jan 2013, 2:33 pm

Disagree kings. We simply can't leave out Williams. Without Payne we would be weak at 15 I feel but a team of

Court, Best, Afoa, Stevenson, Henderson, Diack, Henry, Williams, Pienaar, Jackson, Gilroy, Wallace, Cave, Trimble, Payne

Would be strong enough I think.

Let's not forget this is the first HEC game since Saints did us and we won't want to lose twice at home. The lads need to get as angry as ey were against Leinster at Ravenhill and I think we can get a good win

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 08 Jan 2013, 3:14 pm

I was just wanting Wilson to start, and control the scrum breakdown etc etc, and bring the Hulk on to smash em up when they are tired, he'd be more effictive then.

think Wilson then Williams, could case more damage than Williams then Wilson, (mind you that may be better to see out games).

Depends what you think will happen, last 20 mins, if think it will be close (maybe even behind) then you want Williams to come of bench to chase the game, if you think we should have a lead, then Wilson to see the game out.

on that I think when we are at home Willaims then Wilson, away from home Wilson then Williams.

So i've changed my mind on this and agree with you Standulstermen, Williams then Wilson. next week away from home other way round.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 08 Jan 2013, 3:19 pm

Don't disagree with your last point at all kings. Keep them fresh as well

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 08 Jan 2013, 3:54 pm

I don't think Ricky Andrew is in the HEC squad.

I'd go with Stand's team. Stevenson, Henry and Diack to hit the breakdown against a gnarly Glasgow team, Williams and Hendo to carry. I am a bit concerned that Hendo gives away penalties fairly easily, though. Which could cost us against Glasgow - I don't think it'll be a tryfest.

Poor aul' Graeme Morrison...

I think we'll end up needing a point at least against Castres.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 08 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

Bad timing for Luke Marshall, I think he was in pole position to start this game. I think he had done the hard work in breaking into the team- we haven't had much luck with injuries this year. A lot of key players missing obviously.

With D'Arcy injured and it looks like Andrew and Nelson not in the HC squad we only have one recognised fullback so we really hope Payne is alright!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 08 Jan 2013, 4:34 pm

I think its lovely that Glasgow and Ulster can play each other without the ructions that would occur if this were soccer.

Rugby should not forget the spirit of the game, even in these professional times. It is a force for good generally if nurtured.

Bonus points in the 6 Nations would be the final nail in the coffin.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 08 Jan 2013, 4:55 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:

I think we'll end up needing a point at least against Castres.
Your fellow countrymen (those from the 12 counties AND those from the real 6 counties) are counting on you to get your first win in France.

Perhaps if Castres beat Northampton, that would focus your minds? Nah. Feck it, a point would still do yiz. Crying or Very sad

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:07 pm

I think winning in France is one of the remaining hoodoos from the bad old days we must break and we're gonna want to do that no matter what happens.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:17 pm

Glas a du wrote:I think its lovely that Glasgow and Ulster can play each other without the ructions that would occur if this were soccer.

Rugby should not forget the spirit of the game, even in these professional times. It is a force for good generally if nurtured.

Not quite sure what you mean there Glas ? Shocked

Ulster and Warriors supporters have always had a real affinity - much more so than Edinburgh for example - and care not a jot about wendyball bigots, who we in Glasgow have more than our fair share of on both sides of the sectarian divide !

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:30 pm

Notch wrote:With D'Arcy injured and it looks like Andrew and Nelson not in the HC squad we only have one recognised fullback so we really hope Payne is alright!

I forgot that Andrew isn't in the European squad, but AFAIK Nelson is in it but currently injured.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:38 pm

According to a guy on Uafc who is usually right, Payne will start. Did Henderson give away penalties against Leinster? I didn't think he did but I would agree that he is prone to it. I can't see Diack being dropped. He is too important to the line out without muller

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:00 pm

Standulstermen wrote:According to a guy on Uafc who is usually right, Payne will start. Did Henderson give away penalties against Leinster? I didn't think he did but I would agree that he is prone to it. I can't see Diack being dropped. He is too important to the line out without muller

in all honesty, I think Hendo's (currently) better at blindside than second row, where he can be quiet. But we need to box clever about our pack's skill set.

Jen, we can win in France. I hope we will, but, crucially, don't have to.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:13 pm

Reckon this will be the Glasgow team:

1.Grant 2.MacArthur 3.Low 4.Kellock 5.Swinson 6.Strauss 7.Harley 8.Wilson 9.Matawalu 10.Jackson 11.DTH 12.Dunbar 13.Lamont 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

16.Reid 17.Hall 18.Araoz 19.Ryder 20.Eddie 21.Pyrgos 22.Weir 23.Seymour

Assume Cusack, Fusaro and Barclay are still out.

Agree with George Carlin above, Ulster will have a scrap on their hands here, although I think ultimately they will prevail. Wouldn't expect a bonus point from this one though, and wouldn't be surprised if there's a LBP in this for Glasgow. The Glasgow backline is starting to click.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:28 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:
Glas a du wrote:I think its lovely that Glasgow and Ulster can play each other without the ructions that would occur if this were soccer.

Not quite sure what you mean there Glas ? Shocked

Ulster and Warriors supporters have always had a real affinity - much more so than Edinburgh for example - and care not a jot about wendyball bigots, who we in Glasgow have more than our fair share of on both sides of the sectarian divide !

I mean we've been given a natural advantage in the heritage of our game that should not be squandered for short term commercial game.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:34 pm

Doubt if we will see Low or Seymour as they both got heavy knocks last Friday

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 09 Jan 2013, 2:56 pm

Standulstermen wrote:According to a guy on Uafc who is usually right, Payne will start. Did Henderson give away penalties against Leinster? I didn't think he did but I would agree that he is prone to it. I can't see Diack being dropped. He is too important to the line out without muller

That's quite a relief, I don't think Anscombe would have named him in the extended squad out of hope, although there may have been a bit of doubt there.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 09 Jan 2013, 6:10 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Doubt if we will see Low or Seymour as they both got heavy knocks last Friday

Huge blow if Low is struggling and Cusack is out.

How long do we think Low will be out for? Scotland badly need him in the 6 Nations. We play Ireland (I think) on a Sunday, and I don't want Geoff Cross anywhere near Cian Healy.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 09 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

See you all at Ravenhill - I fly out tomorrow! Yahoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0H7Kf9zvWk

laughing

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 09 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

Cari wrote:See you all at Ravenhill - I fly out tomorrow! Yahoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0H7Kf9zvWk

laughing

I have it on good authority that Tommy Bowe has gone into hiding and only Anscombe knows where he is for the next few days. However if I was you Cari I'd ask Notch or Rodders they seem like the types to know all that happens round there. lol

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

You and Dreamer on the same island on the same weekend...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 09 Jan 2013, 7:18 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Doubt if we will see Low or Seymour as they both got heavy knocks last Friday

How long do we think Low will be out for? Scotland badly need him in the 6 Nations. We play Ireland (I think) on a Sunday, and I don't want Geoff Cross anywhere near Cian Healy.
I heard that Low was walking around after the game with ice on his ankle, so there must be a fair chance he'd recover if that was the case? However, even as a weegie fan, I hope that they don't risk him if it increases the chance that he will miss the 6Ns

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 09 Jan 2013, 7:26 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I heard that Low was walking around after the game with ice on his ankle, so there must be a fair chance he'd recover if that was the case? However, even as a weegie fan, I hope that they don't risk him if it increases the chance that he will miss the 6Ns

Muzza was wandering round outside the Medical room with ice on his ankle, didn't look in too much distress and Gerry the doc wouldn't have let him walk on it if he thought it was broken/serious, so I'd be cautiously optimistic if I was a Glasgow fan... Which I'm not this weekend so lets hope he's out!!!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 09 Jan 2013, 8:48 pm

UiG you bloody judas! (Etc)
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 09 Jan 2013, 9:48 pm

I still have some tickets left for the bus trip up if any of you lads know someone without a ticket. Just have them call The Fly on 02890509750 tonight or after 3pm tomorrow. All the tickets are Promenade just incase it mattered.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 09 Jan 2013, 9:48 pm

Haha GC, unfortunately for Glasgow my home ties are still strong, even after being here for 5 years. I'll be in the middle of the Glasgow supporters in Waxy O'Connors in the City Centre with my Ulster Jersey on... Let's see how long that lasts, although fortunately most of the ones around me will at least be amicable to me!

I've been spoiled this year with regards to Ulster-Glasgow games and I'm just annoyed I'm not making it home for this one... Bloody medical school finals and the like.......
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:09 pm

Bloody medical school ! Are they on the clumsy side then?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:34 pm

So Low is doubtful and Cusack is out?

Ulsters scrum is developing into a good weapon and Tom Court has been in great form. I know Glasgow pack a good scrum but if those two are out I feel we can attack them there. Glasgow don't get credit enough for being a very solid scrummaging side but if their two first choice tightheads are out...

Here's Rory Best chatting about the scrum battle; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsbWiZC4Sis

And Tom Court; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2um5v8nC7w

He's right about one thing, scrums have been massively influential in deciding the outcome of games this season. We're going to be targeting the scrum in a big, big way on Friday night. That front three of Court, Best and Afoa will be key.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:43 pm

What's very interesting is that despite the fact we got a very good away win over Glasgow in Round 2 there's an undertone for our forwards that we want to 'get our own back' for that game. Because they matched us in the scrum.

They most certainly lost the war that night but they won the battle in the scrums and we aren't content to shrug our shoulders and say a win is a win. We really want to make amends for them getting the edge on us there. I really think whoever they name in their pack we're going to want to lay down a marker at scrum time.

Whether we can get dominance in that area or not could be the winning or losing of the game if I'm being honest.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 10 Jan 2013, 9:27 am

Beware an Afoa scorned. I hope therenis a serious chip on their shoulder a la Leinster game. Why would Glasgow risk guys for this one when they arebalready out and are going so well in the Rabo? If anything they should surely be targeting their home fixture. If any of you lads want to pass my thoughts onto Gregor Townsend that would be greatly appreciated Whistle

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by caz Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:48 am

Glasgow teams out,

15 Murchie 14 Maitland 13 Dunbar 12 Horne 11 DTH 10 Weir 9 Pyrgos

1 Grant 2 Hall 3 Low 4 Ryder 5 Kellock (Captain) 6 Eddie 7 Harley 8 Strauss

Subs: 16. MacArthur 17 Reid 18 N/A 19 Campbell 20 Swinson 21 Matawalu 22 Wight 23 Hogg

Glad to see Wee Dunc getting a game.

22 man squad! http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/5240-123

caz

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

Wow!

Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Not able to name 2 replacement props.

That seems to fly in the face of reasons for having a full front row on the bench.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:56 am

Uncontested scrums by 55mins is my prediction

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:57 am

Doesn't that mean Glasgow have to play with only 14 though?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:59 am

Not sure, MrsP, not normally - a non-prop would slot into the front row and they'd carry on as 15-vs-15, no?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:00 pm

But if you go to uncontested scrums now you have to lose a back.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:01 pm

From the HEC rules:

"(ii) a club may nominate a maximum of 23 players and a minimum of 19 players for each match. Included amongst such players must be a minimum of six players who can play in front row forward positions and who are suitably trained and experienced. The club must be able to replace each front row position on the first occasion of an injury to those positions. If unconstested scrums are ordered as a result of their being no suitably trained and experienced front row replacement available, the player whose departure cused the unconstested scrums may not be replaced, ie: the team will be required to play with 14 players"

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:06 pm

15-vs-14 it will finish then, I reckon

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:09 pm

That's really unfortunate.

I know it will matter not a jot to Glasgow's chances in this tournament this year but imagine if the boot was on the other foot. Just seems to go against common sense.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:16 pm

That is a first for me. And you guys were saying that Low had a knock too.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next