The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5

+45
logie28
Ozzy3213
reallybored
MacKnocked-on
Dave.
Imperialbigdave
maestegmafia
Rory_Gallagher
Scot Abroad
GLove39
RDW
toml
Tramptastic
Hound_of_Harrow
IanBru
theslosty
RuggerRadge2611
johnnymonaghan
VinceWLB
Pete330v2
clivemcl
Golden
theshanker
WillyGilly
red_stag
MrsP
caz
jimbopip
UlstermaninGlasgow
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
neilthom7
Cari
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
Jenifer McLadyboy
Glas a du
Notch
Don Alfonso
Kingshu
George Carlin
Standulstermen
pete (buachaill on eirne)
The Great Aukster
rapidsnowman
Artful_Dodger
49 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5  - Page 3 Empty Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Preliminary Ulster squad has been announced - unfortunately Luke Marshall and Adam D'Arcy are ruled out. The former being a serious blow for Ulster.

Glasgow have been in excellent form recently, should be a good match.

Provisional Ulster squad to play Glasgow, Heineken Cup Pool 4, Fri 11th January, Ravenhill (kick off 8.00pm):

Ulster team:

(15-9): J Payne; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar;
(1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, L Stevenson, I Henderson, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, N McComb, R Wilson, P Marshall, M Allen, C Cochrane

Glasgow team:
15 Murchie 14 Maitland 13 Dunbar 12 Horne 11 DTH 10 Weir 9 Pyrgos

1 Grant 2 Hall 3 Low 4 Ryder 5 Kellock (Captain) 6 Eddie 7 Harley 8 Strauss

Subs: 16. MacArthur 17 Reid 18 N/A 19 Campbell 20 Swinson 21 Matawalu 22 Wight 23 Hogg

Last edited by Artful_Dodger on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm; edited 3 times in total

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5  - Page 3 Empty Re: Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:35 pm

Low covers Loose and Tight and so does Grant so they get away on a technicality
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5  - Page 3 Empty Re: Ulster vs Glasgow Warriors - HC Round 5

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:04 pm

If the rule is six frontrowers and Glasgow are only going in with five then they are obviously in breach of that rule, irrespective of whether they have five or six other players on the bench. Ulster would want the chance to play for a TBP (and I'm hoping to witness it) so wouldn't want the game declared as forfeit, but if the ERC ignore their own rules then which ones apply and which ones don't?

The rules regarding additional squad players were drawn up before the increased bench size and should have been modified accordingly so this problem is laid squarely at the ERC's door.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:10 pm

Do you get 4 or 5 for a forfeited game?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:18 pm

I'm not saying it will happen in this group, but I think the last two rounds in the Heineken Cup is going to see some giant killing that will blow groups wide open and will make the two best runner up spots a real lottery. There could be a couple of massive names in the Amlin.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:35 am

The Great Aukster wrote:If Glasgow haven't a suitable prop and the ERC rules don't allow them to name one, why aren't they alllowed to nominate any other player from those qualified to take the bench place?
I'm going to assume that's a rhetorical question, Auk, and not bother answering it?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:37 am

MrsP wrote:Do you get 4 or 5 for a forfeited game?
Here's hoping that you're still in your 'hypothetical' world, MrsP, and asking such questions simply out of general interest rather than this specific case?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:01 am

What's gone slightly under the wire amidst all this front-row malarkey is that not only are Glasgow short of ERC-qualified props (Aaroz fit but not eligible, Welsh and Kalman both turning out for prem 1 teams tomorrow now that they are on the comeback trail too, but neither listed for Heino action), but there's a wee back-row shortage too so that two locks are named on the bench (Nick Campbell and Tim Swinson) - the Weegies are without the services of John Barclay, Angus MacDonald, Ryan Wilson, and Chris Fusaro - talk about unlucky with injury!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:51 am

Absolutely a question of academic interest only Asbo. Just wondered what the rule was.

thumbsup

No one wants anything other than a match to watch. Especially me. Would you want to be the one to tell Cari that the match is off because the Weegies couldn't find enough fat lads?

Shocked

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnymonaghan Fri 11 Jan 2013, 9:20 am

A little birdy tells me (ie twitter) that Jared Payne is out. Hope they're wrong.

I'm not sure what our options will be if this is the case....Gilroy to fullback and Cochrane to start perhaps?

Has anybody heard anything?

johnnymonaghan

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 11 Jan 2013, 9:20 am

MrsP wrote:Absolutely a question of academic interest only Asbo. Just wondered what the rule was.

thumbsup

No one wants anything other than a match to watch. Especially me. Would you want to be the one to tell Cari that the match is off because the Weegies couldn't find enough fat lads?
Shocked

furious What a terrible and sweeping statement to make. Not all prop look like they have season tickets for Gregs the bakers.

Some props are fine physical specimens. Like myself and Alan Jacobson.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 11 Jan 2013, 10:40 am

Sorry Radge.

It was a term of endearment, honestly!

Hug

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 11 Jan 2013, 11:17 am

Payne out would mean Gilroy to fullback and Michael Allen to wing. Allen is much more solid than Cochrane.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 11 Jan 2013, 11:41 am

I hope all this kerfuffle doesn't distract the players from the job in hand.

We need to be right on our game tonight from the whistle. Last minute changes and the thought of uncontested scrums must not get in the way of that!

SUFTUM!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 11 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

Just heard Ravenhill is sold out - 7th full house in a row.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 11 Jan 2013, 1:55 pm

Yeah its great news especially considering we are expanding the stadium.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:02 pm

FYI -

"Around 5pm there is going to be a major demonstration across Belfast with all routes including the motorways, main roads closed.

We understand the plan is to create an ring around the city to cause major disruption with no-one being able to travel in or out of the city.

It has not been confirmed how long the planned protest will last."

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:22 pm

Stand Up for the Non-Blockading Ulstermen!

There is a protest planned for the Cregagh estate - if there are any issues, Terrace et al ticket holders can enter trhough Onslow, apparently.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by caz Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:33 pm

How will this affect the traveling support?

caz

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:37 pm

Are you over caz?

If anyone needs help with directions just drop a note on here. I will check back it a while.

Cari is in the house!!!!!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by caz Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:45 pm

Not this time - soon I hope.

Warriors retweeted some of the usual suspects about an hour ago. they're in The Crown.
Do they need to move closer to the stadium?

Have a great night folks!

caz

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:25 pm

There isnt a mention of the ormeau being blockaded but then the list circulating doesnt have milltown/shaws bridge blocked which it will inevitably be.

Im taking a bus from the bar but anyone going fromthe city centre should probably try the ormeau road or head up stranmillis and accross the annadale embankment. Mount Merrion and Rosetta should be clear.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:37 pm

I predict a delayed kick off, if the protests really manage to block traffic.

Got a free ticket for Leinster game as person ddn't want to risk protests and being stuck in traffic, and got free ticket for Belfast Giants tonight (didn't have funds to justify an Ulster ticket this week).

It's an ill wind that blows no good.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:59 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:FYI -

"Around 5pm there is going to be a major demonstration across Belfast with all routes including the motorways, main roads closed.

We understand the plan is to create an ring around the city to cause major disruption with no-one being able to travel in or out of the city.

Feckers! I'm just after getting sent home from work two hours early, which means I don't get paid for those two hours; not to mention the potential disruption with the rugby tonight steam

There's going to be more than 5 times as many people at the game than the whole number of the core protestors. If people are planning to blockade roads to cause disruption, thats a criminal offence. If people higher up are organising such protests thats criminal conspiracy.

Get this minority of mentalists off the streets anyway possible so we can so we can get on with our lives and start showing the rest of the world the good things about this country again.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:05 pm

It's madness. As well as reading the letter from the delighted Scarlets fan about his trip to Ulster which Ulster rugby posted on the website, I recently spoke to an Australian who was in Belfast and loving his time here. He spoke about how accommodating the locals had been and the only let down was that he couldn't get to Ravenhill to see us play the Scarlets as tickets were like 'hen's teeth'.

It just shows you what a great little place we could have if these malcontents would bollix off. Read a brilliant article in the Guardian summing up the protests and the protester's.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/10/belfast-rioters-union-flag-opportunists

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:It's madness. As well as reading the letter from the delighted Scarlets fan about his trip to Ulster which Ulster rugby posted on the website, I recently spoke to an Australian who was in Belfast and loving his time here. He spoke about how accommodating the locals had been and the only let down was that he couldn't get to Ravenhill to see us play the Scarlets as tickets were like 'hen's teeth'.

It just shows you what a great little place we could have if these malcontents would bollix off. Read a brilliant article in the Guardian summing up the protests and the protester's.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/10/belfast-rioters-union-flag-opportunists

Read that too. The saddest thing is the area of Belfast they are ruining the most is their own.

There's an old Buddhist saying- "You will not punished for your anger. You will be punished by your anger." Through their anger these people are punishing themselves, setting back their own agenda and ruining their own area. Northern Ireland itself is being punished for it's failure to assuage old angers and enmities. Our political class has failed us there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

Lads trying to get to Ravenhill from Holywood - any advice?

Thanks
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:38 pm

Notch wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:FYI -

Feckers! I'm just after getting sent home from work two hours early, which means I don't get paid for those two hours; not to mention the potential disruption with the rugby tonight steam

There's going to be more than 5 times as many people at the game than the whole number of the core protestors. If people are planning to blockade roads to cause disruption, thats a criminal offence. If people higher up are organising such protests thats criminal conspiracy.

Get this minority of mentalists off the streets anyway possible so we can so we can get on with our lives and start showing the rest of the world the good things about this country again.

Well said Sir ! thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:50 pm

theslosty wrote:Lads trying to get to Ravenhill from Holywood - any advice?

Thanks

I'd go Holywood road or Old Holywood Road and down Belmont Road and then through to the North Road and then straight on down Grand Parade and Ladas drive.

I haven't heard of any bother on any of those roads. That might be the clearest run in the city!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

MrsP wrote:

Thanks

I'd go Holywood road or Old Holywood Road and down Belmont Road and then through to the North Road and then straight on down Grand Parade and Ladas drive.

I haven't heard of any bother on any of those roads. That might be the clearest run in the city!

Ok that makes sense, thanks very much OK
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

I will be there, I don't give a monkeys about their protests they wont be stopping me for all I care they can fly the Tayto flag if they want (actually that might stop me lol) Also would you want to be someone telling Cari she can't go through to the stadium when Tommy Bowe already ain't playing. Braver man than me lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:59 pm

theslosty wrote:
MrsP wrote:

Thanks

Ok that makes sense, thanks very much OK

I live in that area of East Belfast - I would be concerned that there's a good chance you won't get onto Grand Parade as there will be a protest at Bloomfield roundabout, but maybe not.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:38 pm

It does my old heart a power of good to read the common sense from Notch and Artful. Having grown up in Glasgow and been sickened at an early age by sectarian stupidity, ( it led me to Firhill and a lifelong love of the Jags) it's wonderful to think that Northern Ireland is growing up and leaving all that nonsense behind. Keep the faith boys, in a non-religious kind of way.
P.S. Warriors to win tonight by 8pts

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:05 pm

jimbopip wrote:It does my old heart a power of good to read the common sense from Notch and Artful. Having grown up in Glasgow and been sickened at an early age by sectarian stupidity, ( it led me to Firhill and a lifelong love of the Jags) it's wonderful to think that Northern Ireland is growing up and leaving all that nonsense behind. Keep the faith boys, in a non-religious kind of way.

I like this guy sensible man and that bit of blind optimism at the end is refreshing lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:09 pm

C'mon The Warriors Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

Enjoy the game boys OK

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:53 pm

Enjoy the game indeed all you Weegies and a very special message to Cari who I hope falls in love with our wee country and Ravers, the home of TOMMYYYYY BOOOOWWWEEEE!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:16 pm

jimbopip wrote:It does my old heart a power of good to read the common sense from Notch and Artful. Having grown up in Glasgow and been sickened at an early age by sectarian stupidity, ( it led me to Firhill and a lifelong love of the Jags) it's wonderful to think that Northern Ireland is growing up and leaving all that nonsense behind. Keep the faith boys, in a non-religious kind of way.

Amen to that, pal.

I moved to Glasgow from south east Englandshire last year, and really didn't know what to expect. I'd been to Glasgow a few times, but mostly spent my time in the Hebrides when in Scotland. I have been absolutely blown away by what an amazing place Glasgow is. Beautiful city, and honestly, some of the finest, friendliest, most generous people you'll ever meet.

My English friends had a good old laugh about me moving up (there were bets on how many minutes it take for Ian to get stabbed...), but they were so wrong! The media have a lot to answer in only reporting on the sectarian stuff, but it's clear that there has been a massive improvement in the last twenty years (my old man tells a good story of having rocks thrown at him for going to the wrong primary school. Yes, primary.).

As far as Belfast goes, it's clear that this is just a really vocal, violent minority spoiling it for everyone else. In my mind, the mentality expressed by Notch is the way to go. Don't stand for cr@p. Don't justify it with past history and perceived grievances, and don't ever accept that it's "just the way things are".

SUFTUM (except for tonight)
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

Any links?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

neilthom7 wrote:

I like this guy sensible man and that bit of blind optimism at the end is refreshing lol

Thank you sir! However, to paraphrase another Irishman, S Becket- a frequently spotted fan at Landsdowne Road by the way- optimism must be blind if we could see the future we would NOT be at all optimisticjavascript:emoticonp('drumroll').

Last edited by jimbopip on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

IanBru - me and my pal went to Glasgow for Wasps HC pool game three seasons back. We made a weekend of it and stayed two nights. Great city, lovely people.

We met some great Glasgow fans in The Horseshoe Bar who were really pleased to see us. We had two Glasgow 'rover*' tickets for the game, but I also got two freebies for the game courtesy of my ex company, who are one of the main ERC competition sponsors.

We used the freebies for the game and gave the rover tickets to a couple of elderly Weedge fans in the Horseshoe after the game. And encouraged them to take a couple of young 'uns to a home game.

* those tickets got you into that game, or any Warriors' Magners League game for the rest of the season.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:52 pm

Hound, The Horseshoe is the longest continuous bar in the UK (it's circular) and Travis started out playing upstairs there the landlady allowed them to rehearse for free and that's where they played their first gigs. Not a lot of people know that.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:58 pm

Glas a du wrote:Any links?
wiziwig OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:01 pm

PM'd you if you havent got one Glas.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:03 pm

Mon the Weege, giving fatty Williams far too much respect - clatter him boxing

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:03 pm

jimbopip wrote:Hound, The Horseshoe is the longest continuous bar in the UK (it's circular) and Travis started out playing upstairs there the landlady allowed them to rehearse for free and that's where they played their first gigs. Not a lot of people know that.

jimbo - I loved the place, especially Deuchars at £2.25 a pint. Plus some other excellent Scottish beers at about £2.40.

And no, I was not aware of the Travis story.
thumbsup

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:04 pm

Great first scrum for Glasgow - 1-0 for Ryan Grant

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:04 pm

oooo could someone send me a link?? Mine is being bloomin awful!

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

Smart leg from Chris Henry - sneaky!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Great first scrum for Glasgow - 1-0 for Ryan Grant

Clear slip from Afoa - second scrum is whats going to happen for the rest of the game Wink

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next