The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

+35
maestegmafia
Manky-Flanker
tigertattie
beshocked
Rory_Gallagher
Cryptoyourisan
reallybored
Heuer27
sensisball
TJ1
alive555
bsando
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pat_Mustard
nickj
George Carlin
RubyGuby
MacKnocked-on
IanBru
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
lostinwales
EWT Spoons
Imperialbigdave
bluestonevedder
Effervescing Elephant
Scot Abroad
Glas a du
GLove39
R!skysports
RDW
UlstermaninGlasgow
RuggerRadge2611
Solid8
39 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 5 Empty Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by Solid8 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Edit - Original 1000 or so posts on this thread are here https://www.606v2.com/t38845p950-scotland-squad-for-the-6-nations - KiwiPete

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Been browsing some Rugby news sites...

Regarding the delay in announcing the Scotland captain, Johnson can't really be thinking about playing Stroks at 6 instead of brown can he?

No but there may be other players he feels could be better captains, given the strong representation of Glasgow in the squad, Kellock maybe.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 5 Empty Re: Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by Solid8 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:22 am

Hopefully Evan's inclusion in the squad is to provide a mature, experienced head who like O'Gara can come on to steady the ship in the last 10-20 minutes as he is less likely to lose his head and make stupid mistakes................... Oh. picard

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 5 Empty Re: Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:28 am

I could live with Sean Lamont at 13, although I would rather Horne played there with Scott at 12.

If Lamont plays 13, Hogg, Visser and Maitland will have to come into the midfield to look for Work.

Although I would like base a lot of our attacking play on the set piece.

Lets get Beattie, Denton, Lamont and Visser taking balls from Lineouts or picking up from the base of the Scrum and attacking the English line.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

It has been discussed before (like everything else on this thread!) but I would be happy with Lamont at 13 because he will be given a job to do - get over the gain line - and then Jackson or Scott could work from the (hopefully) quick ball to get the back 3 into the game.

If Tuilagi is injured I can see them putting Farrell at 13 - although he never shirks from defencive duties I think it will have gone from England having a physical advantage in the backs to us having a physical advantage if Lamont is at 13. At the very least Lamont would hopefully give him a good clattering to try to put him off his kicking!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

Does anyone know when England will finally decide on Tuilagi? They first said the fitness decision would be made at the end of last week, then they quietly pushed that back to today/tomorrow while emphasising that he would receive no special treatment. I'm glad that the team is being selected to our own time-frame and not changing things to react to this but it would be nice to know, I'd hate to see Lamont being selected to cope with him defensively if the guy is not actually going to be playing.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:38 am

I think Lamont is now the best option. Perhaps playing Horne is still an option but I don't want to see Evans playing at 13.

He isn't good enough.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:39 am

So Brown is confirmed as Captain then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21228971

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:41 am

Riskysports wrote:So Brown is confirmed as Captain then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21228971

Really? I did not know that picard

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:http://www.scottishrugby.org/content/view/3377/2/

Right decision IMO, Kelly Brown as captan for the Calcutta Cup Clash.

Kelly Brown, the 30-year-old back-row forward, is to continue as Scotland captain for the opening game of the 2013 RBS 6 Nations Championship – the Calcutta Cup clash against England at Twickenham on Saturday.

The candidacy of Brown – who skippered Scotland during all three of the EMC Tests in November – has been endorsed by interim head coach Scott Johnson and his new management team.

Johnson said: “It was right and proper that the coaches considered captaincy at the same time as we were looking at selection of our squad for the England game.

“We believe Kelly has the qualities we’re looking for to captain Scotland. Captaincy is about deed in my book, not Churchillian oratory, and the knowledge and experience that Kelly brings to the Test match arena is good for this team. We are also looking at our leadership group and I’ll be naming two vice-captains in the team that we announce tomorrow.”

The 52-times capped Brown (Saracens) has not played against England since the corresponding match at Twickenham two years ago.
“As I said back in November, it’s a huge honour to captain Scotland. The job now, though, is to work with all the other players in the squad to deliver a performance to make the country proud this weekend.

“It’s a while since I’ve played against England. I missed out through injury in last year’s Six Nations and I was sidelined during the Rugby World Cup match in Auckland as well, so I’m really raring to go,” Brown said.

Johnson has trimmed the squad that were in camp last week from 35 to 27, all of whom will remain attached to the national team with none featuring on Scotland A duty.

The only addition to those who were in Glasgow last week is flanker Alasdair Strokosch who was excused the camp as his wife gave birth to their second child

Interesting to note he hasn't been named as captain for the whole tournament......

Next thing you'll be telling me in another breaking news story that Phil Vickery has retired from international rugby! laughing Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

On another interesting note there are a lot of comments on Risky's Beeb article of people predicting England to be up by 50 points at half time.

I'm not sure if I should let these comments anger me because of their arrogance or if that kind of mullering is trully on the cards.

I really don't know what to expect this weekend...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:47 am

I personally would be quite happy if the English think they are gonna put 50 on us by half time.

Unfortunately under Lancaster I can't see the players thinking that though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:49 am

RuggerRadge - did you know that Chris patterson has retired from International rugby - No, I did not think so

I am the pulse of this nation - censored

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:53 am

Riskysports wrote: RuggerRadge - did you know that Chris patterson has retired from International rugby - No, I did not think so

Laugh thumbsup

I really shouldn't be reading articles like this though. It just brings back all those inevitable emotions of positivity and optimism. Braveheart

Scotland to upset England at HQ?
Iain Morrison

http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/176147.html

I know that many of you will have to stuff your hands into your mouths just to stop from laughing out loud at this suggestion. But I think that Scotland will win their first game at Twickenham for 30 years on Saturday. Despite the odds, the form book and, let's be honest here, plain common sense.

Most people question whether Scotland should even bother turning up? The Scots lost to Tonga, England beat the All Blacks and, boy, didn't they tell us all about it.

What they failed to mention was the fact that the New Zealand camp had been hit by a virus in the week leading up to that match so in the final twenty minutes, when Richie McCaw and co are usually at their best, the All Blacks were on their knees, out of puff and out of the game.

I don't want to detract from England's achievement. They attacked the Kiwis at the breakdown, which is the only way of stopping them, and when the All Blacks threatened to rally with two quick-fire second half tries, England came back at them and sealed the deal.

That took some guts but England are still developing as a team. Why did the English press focus solely on them beating the All Blacks instead of paying some attention to the fact that England also lost to a patchy Wallabies side (beaten by Scotland in Australia) that had just been smashed by France to the tune of 33-6?

Do you remember the scrums in the Wallabies match? Joe Marler does. He wakes up in a cold sweat thinking about how the unheralded Aussie front row, which conceded the winning penalty to Scotland, had the Harlequins prop doing an un-scheduled yoga class at Twickenham and setting his career back by several years.

England will likely miss Manu Tuilagi and various abrasive and athletic breakaways who are injured (Calum Clark, Tom Johnson etc) but the biggest loss will come at the coal face. Scotland will field a bigger pack of forwards and while size isn't everything England are without one of their key scrummagers in the injured Alex Corbisiero.

The giant Scottish prop Euan Murray will be licking his lips whoever Stuart Lancaster picks to replace him. Scrumming has been at the centre of the English game for a long time now and if you take away that advantage or even, heaven forbid, gain the upper hand in that department it has a similar effect on the English psyche as crocodiles have on Captain Hook.

England have Owen Farrell to direct traffic and kick goals at ten (we would love to have him) but the Scots have Greig Laidlaw to do the same at nine for us. He is out of the French mould where the scrummy (rather than the fly-half) often shapes the game.

Most importantly Scotland come with a few bullets to fire in the backs. The Kiwi flyer Sean Maitland once showed a clean pair of heels to Sitiveni Sivivatu, which is not something many can claim. The flyer scored 54 tries for the Crusaders and two of them came at Twickenham against the Sharks.

Maitland has nothing but good memories of Twickenham as does his fellow winger Tim Visser. The big Dutchman scored a brace of tries when helping the Barbarians beat England a couple of years back and he won the sevens one year whilst still with Newcastle Falcons. Just recently, when thinking out loud, Visser suggested that he had yet to lose at Twickenham.

Admittedly there is much that can go wrong with the Scotland game plan but the talk coming from the camp is that Scotland's English coach Dean Ryan is doing his rabid dog impersonation and the young boys in the squad are lapping it up. The unequivocal passion and enthusiasm of Ryan and his boss Scott Johnson has to mean something and, after a couple of insipid outings, this Scottish team know that they owe themselves and their fans a big performance.

What I am trying to say is two things: England are not quite as good as they think they are and Scotland are not quite as bad as everyone thinks they are. This opening match between the two teams will set the tone for the tournament and I suspect it will come down to the bounce of the ball or which goal kicker has his radar on target.

I think Scotland have a fighting chance of causing the mother and father of upsets next Saturday but only if they come out swinging.

To be honest I'd rather they didn't win. I have a small sum of money riding on the draw at 33-1 and them's good odds for two teams who boast an average winning margin of 6 points over their last six matches.

Key Player: Ryan Grant made his Test bow in the historic win over Australia last year and the loose-head has since forged a reputation as a brutal technician at scrum time with a hunger for work in the loose. His name has also been mentioned as a potential Lions tourist with the Six Nations set to be a key proving ground.

Rising Star: The rapid ascent to the Scotland ranks of New Zealand-born Sean Maitland has generated many headlines but the fleet-footed winger is set to let his feet do the talking during the Six Nations - in the words of his coach Scott Johnson: "He's certainly got some shoes."

Crunch Clash: There is little doubt that the showdown with England at Twickenham will set the tone for the Scots' campaign. While a shock victory would see them embark on three successive home clashes with renewed confidence, even a gutsy showing in defeat will offer cause for hope that they have turned the corner.

Coaching Clinic: Interim head coach Scott Johnson will no doubt be hoping to follow the lead of England coach Stuart Lancaster who began last year's Six Nations in a similar position and is now firmly ensconced in the Twickenham hotseat. Free of the pressure that plagued his predecessor Andy Robinson, Johnson knows an improvement on last year's wooden spoon will boost his chances of taking the job full time while a repeat will mean a return to his previous role within the support staff - if he is lucky.

Verdict: The relative home comforts of Murrayfield will certainly help the Scots banish the memory of their shock defeat at the hands of Tonga in the autumn but there remain significant question marks about the ability of a new-look squad to go toe-to-toe and beat their title rivals. As has become the case of late, the game against Italy on the second weekend of action will go a long way to defining their campaign.

Odds: Scotland are 28/1 to win the tournament outright with Bet365 and 11/4 to pick up the wooden spoon once again.

This sort of article is really bad for me. As I said I'm just setting myself up for the yearly wallop of disapointment.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:00 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Riskysports wrote: RuggerRadge - did you know that Chris patterson has retired from International rugby - No, I did not think so

Laugh thumbsup

I really shouldn't be reading articles like this though. It just brings back all those inevitable emotions of positivity and optimism. Braveheart

Iain Morrison

I know that many of you will have to stuff your hands into your mouths just to stop from laughing out loud at this suggestion. But I think that Scotland will win their first game at Twickenham for 30 years on Saturday. Despite the odds, the form book and, let's be honest here, plain common sense.

Most people question whether Scotland should even bother turning up? The Scots lost to Tonga, England beat the All Blacks and, boy, didn't they tell us all about it.

What they failed to mention was the fact that the New Zealand camp had been hit by a virus in the week leading up to that match so in the final twenty minutes, when Richie McCaw and co are usually at their best, the All Blacks were on their knees, out of puff and out of the game.

I don't want to detract from England's achievement. They attacked the Kiwis at the breakdown, which is the only way of stopping them, and when the All Blacks threatened to rally with two quick-fire second half tries, England came back at them and sealed the deal.

That took some guts but England are still developing as a team. Why did the English press focus solely on them beating the All Blacks instead of paying some attention to the fact that England also lost to a patchy Wallabies side (beaten by Scotland in Australia) that had just been smashed by France to the tune of 33-6?

Do you remember the scrums in the Wallabies match? Joe Marler does. He wakes up in a cold sweat thinking about how the unheralded Aussie front row, which conceded the winning penalty to Scotland, had the Harlequins prop doing an un-scheduled yoga class at Twickenham and setting his career back by several years.

England will likely miss Manu Tuilagi and various abrasive and athletic breakaways who are injured (Calum Clark, Tom Johnson etc) but the biggest loss will come at the coal face. Scotland will field a bigger pack of forwards and while size isn't everything England are without one of their key scrummagers in the injured Alex Corbisiero.

The giant Scottish prop Euan Murray will be licking his lips whoever Stuart Lancaster picks to replace him. Scrumming has been at the centre of the English game for a long time now and if you take away that advantage or even, heaven forbid, gain the upper hand in that department it has a similar effect on the English psyche as crocodiles have on Captain Hook.

England have Owen Farrell to direct traffic and kick goals at ten (we would love to have him) but the Scots have Greig Laidlaw to do the same at nine for us. He is out of the French mould where the scrummy (rather than the fly-half) often shapes the game.

Most importantly Scotland come with a few bullets to fire in the backs. The Kiwi flyer Sean Maitland once showed a clean pair of heels to Sitiveni Sivivatu, which is not something many can claim. The flyer scored 54 tries for the Crusaders and two of them came at Twickenham against the Sharks.

Maitland has nothing but good memories of Twickenham as does his fellow winger Tim Visser. The big Dutchman scored a brace of tries when helping the Barbarians beat England a couple of years back and he won the sevens one year whilst still with Newcastle Falcons. Just recently, when thinking out loud, Visser suggested that he had yet to lose at Twickenham.

Admittedly there is much that can go wrong with the Scotland game plan but the talk coming from the camp is that Scotland's English coach Dean Ryan is doing his rabid dog impersonation and the young boys in the squad are lapping it up. The unequivocal passion and enthusiasm of Ryan and his boss Scott Johnson has to mean something and, after a couple of insipid outings, this Scottish team know that they owe themselves and their fans a big performance.

What I am trying to say is two things: England are not quite as good as they think they are and Scotland are not quite as bad as everyone thinks they are. This opening match between the two teams will set the tone for the tournament and I suspect it will come down to the bounce of the ball or which goal kicker has his radar on target.

I think Scotland have a fighting chance of causing the mother and father of upsets next Saturday but only if they come out swinging.

To be honest I'd rather they didn't win. I have a small sum of money riding on the draw at 33-1 and them's good odds for two teams who boast an average winning margin of 6 points over their last six matches.

Key Player: Ryan Grant made his Test bow in the historic win over Australia last year and the loose-head has since forged a reputation as a brutal technician at scrum time with a hunger for work in the loose. His name has also been mentioned as a potential Lions tourist with the Six Nations set to be a key proving ground.

Rising Star: The rapid ascent to the Scotland ranks of New Zealand-born Sean Maitland has generated many headlines but the fleet-footed winger is set to let his feet do the talking during the Six Nations - in the words of his coach Scott Johnson: "He's certainly got some shoes."

Crunch Clash: There is little doubt that the showdown with England at Twickenham will set the tone for the Scots' campaign. While a shock victory would see them embark on three successive home clashes with renewed confidence, even a gutsy showing in defeat will offer cause for hope that they have turned the corner.

Coaching Clinic: Interim head coach Scott Johnson will no doubt be hoping to follow the lead of England coach Stuart Lancaster who began last year's Six Nations in a similar position and is now firmly ensconced in the Twickenham hotseat. Free of the pressure that plagued his predecessor Andy Robinson, Johnson knows an improvement on last year's wooden spoon will boost his chances of taking the job full time while a repeat will mean a return to his previous role within the support staff - if he is lucky.

Verdict: The relative home comforts of Murrayfield will certainly help the Scots banish the memory of their shock defeat at the hands of Tonga in the autumn but there remain significant question marks about the ability of a new-look squad to go toe-to-toe and beat their title rivals. As has become the case of late, the game against Italy on the second weekend of action will go a long way to defining their campaign.

Odds: Scotland are 28/1 to win the tournament outright with Bet365 and 11/4 to pick up the wooden spoon once again.

This sort of article is really bad for me. As I said I'm just setting myself up for the yearly wallop of disapointment.

Come on Radge - you've got me all optimistic here!!! I was all happily prepared for abject failure and you've gone and got be believing again!

The bill from the psychiatry appointments will be in the post.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:02 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:On another interesting note there are a lot of comments on Risky's Beeb article of people predicting England to be up by 50 points at half time.

I'm not sure if I should let these comments anger me because of their arrogance or if that kind of mullering is trully on the cards.

I really don't know what to expect this weekend...

If you think the Beeb is bad you should try reading the Torygraph comments section! It no longer comes as a shock to me that English rugby fans have some of the most arrogant WUMs in the world amongst their ranks. Sadly we have proven that the type of mullering they are predicting is not outside the realms of possibility but I am hopeful that it will not happen this weekend. I cannot call the result, which is more down to blind optimism than anything else, however, on the plus side I do think that the last six nations aside, England's recent form is vaguely reminiscent of what we have been going through for the last couple of years, that is one big result hiding some serious underlying problems.

Iain Morrison's column on scrum.com today makes for good if hardly impartial reading, I was going to quote it but have been beaten to it.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:06 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Laugh thumbsup

Iain Morrison

Nooooooooooooooooo. Why, Iain? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy would you write this? You just said Macbeth. Instutionalised optimism.

"England are not quite as good as they think they are and Scotland are not quite as bad as everyone thinks they are".

You could distil the whole article down to that without the rest of the insinuations.

I am approaching this game with NO expectations.

If our backline don't knock themselves unconscious, refrain from defecating in their Canterbury pants, face the right way on re-starts and manage to butcher fewer than 10 overlaps, I shall be thrilled. That way, the path of happiness will lie ahead of me, rather than a trip to Shutter Island.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:12 pm

I predict...

A riot

That is all

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:15 pm

Tickets still available for the Italy match. picard

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:31 pm

It's all the same stuff I've been saying to myself for several weeks now, I love having reasons to be optimistic even if it does lead to crushing disappointment!

The matchday squad is easier to predict now. I'm disappointed Dunbar and Fusaro haven't made it but all in all it looks OK. Either Evans or Murchie will be on the bench, and I'm not too confident in either of them but that's the only position I'm worried about now. I'm also not sure whether Strokosch or Harley should be on the bench, I don't think there's much in it but since Johnson has said he'd go with youth I'll say Harley. Interestingly they've gone with two tightheads on the bench rather than select Dickinson, but Low has played loose before so that's the right decision for me.

So my selection from the shortened squad would be:

Grant, MacArthur, Murray, Gray, Kellock, Brown, Denton, Beattie
Laidlaw, Jackson, Visser, Scott, Lamont, Maitland, Hogg

Ford, Low, Cross, Hamilton, Harley, Pyrgos, Horne, Evans.

So Murchie, Gilchrist, Hall and Strokosch miss out - and I've convinced myself that lot will win by 20-30 Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 5 3933776953

Last edited by Pat_Mustard on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:33 pm

Oh and If I read one more time about how NZ were 'on their knees' for the last 20 minutes I might burst into flames. They werent. They were all over England like a rash and were very unlucky not to score more points. It didnt matter they were a beaten team at that point.

The virus may well have hit their preparations, the training and the fine tuning but not the stamina on the day.

It doesnt have any relevance to Saturday. Its going to be a brutal arm wrestle dominated by savage forward play and handling errors like England Scotland games always are, unless England manage to get an early breakthrough or 2.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:38 pm

Solid8 wrote:The fact that he hasn't been given the nod for the whole tournament may be a good sign that going forward the match form of players will be more important to selection than their prowess on the training field.

Is anyone surprised with the revised match day squad?

Backs – Max Evans (Castres), Stuart Hogg, Peter Horne, Ruaridh Jackson (all Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby), Sean Lamont, Sean Maitland, Peter Murchie, Henry Pyrgos (all Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott and Tim Visser (both Edinburgh Rugby)

Forwards – Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Geoff Cross, David Denton, Ross Ford, Grant Gilchrist (all Edinburgh), Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Sale Sharks), Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester), Robert Harley, Alastair Kellock, Moray Low, Pat MacArthur (all Glasgow Warriors), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors) and Alasdair Strokosoch (Perpignan).

Fusaro isn't in there so Brown, Denton and Beattie to start as widely predicted? Can't imagine that Brown will be expected to Skipper the team and play out of position.
The revised squad raises one or two interesting issues.
Fistly, the backs. Ruaridh, Laidlaw and Horne seem to be contesting the 10 jersey. While Pyrgos and Laidlaw are the only 9's. This leads me to believe that we will start with the Warriors combination and Laidlaw on the bench covering both.
Secondly, the fat boys. Brown as captain is starting and there isn't a seven in the squad so 6,7,8 Brown, Dozer, Beattie on the basis that Brown is the best 6, Beattie is the form 8 in France and Dozer is the most mobile ball carrier left in the squad.
1. Grant
2. McArthur (if SJ picks Throwaway then we really have no hope)
3. Rev Euan
4. Big Richie
5.Ruck Inspector/ Hamilton (they will split the game so do we start with Hamilton smashing them or Kellock running the lineout ? The latter is the more positive I think)
6. Brown
7.Dozer
8.Beattie ( Johnnie it's good to see you)
9.Pyrgos ( is he ready to make the step up? Better be as he's the best 9 in the squad)
10. Ruaridh. ( time to deliver or stand down)
11. McVisser
12.Scott (only regular i/c in squad apart from Horne)
13. Evans/Schlong/Horne ( I have a sneaky feeling for Horne most creative and best passing of the three)
14. Maitland (this could be his moment, I get the feeling he is what McGeechan calls a Test match animal)
15. Hogg
16. Cross (really?)
17. Hall
18. Low
19. Hamilton/Kellock
20.Harley ( can tackle as well as Strokes but offers more as support runner, see his try on summer tour)
21 Laidlaw (covers 9 & 10)
22. Horne (covers 10,12, 13)
23 Murchie ( covers 15 allows Hogg to go to wing if needed)
If we start with Horne at 13 then Schlong on the bench.
Can we win? We have a better pack, a potentially devastating back three BUT 12-13 will be the key, especially if Tuilangi is 100% fit. I think I'll head to the bookies with my bawbees and a song in my heart.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

jimbopip wrote:
We have a better pack

Really?

jimbopip wrote:
if Tuilangi is 100% fit

He's not...

http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/176185.html

jimbopip wrote: Can we win?

Probably not but It hasn't stopped me thinking we can before.... WHy break the habit of a lifetime!

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:49 pm

Just realised that Boab the Ginger Tackle Monster made the 27.

I would very much be in favour of him on the bench.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:49 pm

Yeah I don't think we have a better pack - look at what they did against New Zealand (but conversely look at what happened against Australia).

I think it will be honours even in the pack, with them fighting each other to a stand still.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:50 pm

Manu will miss the Calcutta cup match http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/176185.html (ESPN) - thank duck for that!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm

lostinwales wrote:Oh and If I read one more time about how NZ were 'on their knees' for the last 20 minutes I might burst into flames. They werent. They were all over England like a rash and were very unlucky not to score more points. It didnt matter they were a beaten team at that point.

The virus may well have hit their preparations, the training and the fine tuning but not the stamina on the day.

The virus did hit their training and preparation, it would also have affected their performance on the field. Even once you are asymptomatic from an infection that causes diarrhoea and vomiting you will not be 100% for a number of days irrespective of your fitness level. In a game such as rugby that relies on fine margins this would have undoubtedly had an impact on the Kiwi's play.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:55 pm

RDW, seriously? With the exception of Dozer we should be MFL free in the forwards so there should be some grit and nastiness. The much vaunted Lawes and Hartley didn't do anything special at Scotstoun and if our back row plays as it should we are at least as good as them. The loss of Corbs will weaken their front row so we should achieve at least parity in the scrum.
Oh, I should mention today is my rational yet wildly optimistic assesment day ask me again tomorrow when I'm due to be in full private Fraser mode.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm

My reasoning being that it will pretty much be the same pack (one or two players aside) that we have had for the past year or two and although we have at least had parity with the big teams I think it is getting a bit carried away to suggest a Scottish pack playing at Twickers will have the upper hand.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

GLove39 wrote:Manu will miss the Calcutta cup match http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/176185.html (ESPN) - thank duck for that!
Is this what Peter Horne needs to get his start?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:16 pm

I really hope not GC, it wouldn't like to think he would have picked his team worrying about England.

I would have started Horne from the start. Lamont is not an effective enough distributer at 13 to use our real weapons (Vis, Maitland and Hogg)
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:24 pm

George Carlin wrote:
GLove39 wrote:Manu will miss the Calcutta cup match http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/176185.html (ESPN) - thank duck for that!
Is this what Peter Horne needs to get his start?

I'd have thought Peter Horne would have needed at least 3 or 4 consecutive games playing well in the same position as that for which he's in contention for Scotland, rather than a season of rather average performances and one solo wonder try.

Is he a 12 or a 13? I'd suggest that despite Edinburgh's problems this season, Scott has played well on pretty much every occassion on which he's been picked at 12, and less well at 13. I see very little justification for starting Horne at 12, and zero justification for starting him at 13.

Tuilagi's absence is a blow to England, but given that Twelvetrees and Joseph (in particular) are still better than any of our options at 13, I'm sure they'll be fine.

I agree with Radge, let's not worry too much about their injury issues. We ought to be picking the team to best maximise our chances of winning, and I don't think this story really changes anything.

I still think it ought to be between Lamont and Dunbar for the 13 jersey. Both will give Scotland some go forward, and give Laidlaw/Jackson and Scott a ball carrier to either use as a crash ball option, or a dummy option, bringing Maitland/Visser/Hogg into the game instead.

For me Horne is principally a 12, and a possible bench option.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:27 pm

Dunbar's in the A squad FES.

It's either Horne, Lamont or Evans at 13.

Or Hogg...

With possibly Evans/Horne on one wing with visser on the other ant Maitland at 15.

Not suggesting any of that, just stating the facts.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

Hmmm. Could Johnson have told lamont he is to pass when it's on? Imagine Sean running at Farrell!!!! Break the gain line, pop it off to visser, maitland or Hogg simple but effective????
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

I know - but I think it's a mistake.

Of the available options it has to be Lamont.

The question is Horne or Evans on the bench - I'd go with Evans, purely because he better covers more positions.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:32 pm

RuggerRadge don't forget we could put Hogg at 13 and Murchie at 15. They wouldn't expect that... with very good reason I might add.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:32 pm

I desperately want to see some aggression from us, to really get stuck into them.

With Tuilagi out I am far more optimistic, he is the one England player that genuinely worries me.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

FES - having watched Horne all season, I would say that he actually has been playing well. Are you referring to any matches in particular where you think that he hasn't?

Or is the requirement to be playing in the same position another one of your micro rules without adherence to which You Cannot Be Capped (the others being that you must have played for at least one professional season and your name cannot be M*** B******). Run

So you wouldn't play Keith Earls in your team if you could? Ok!

I really hope that it's not Murchie at 15 and Hogg at 13 - I really would be gutted at that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

Ay, Jim.

I have to say that Murchie instead of Tonks is an error on Johnsons part.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:34 pm

Also looks like Low out of position at loosehead is still deemed a better option than Dickinson, or is there another reason why we only have one loosehead in the squad and three tightheads.

Why are both Strokosch and Harley there?

Surprised Heathcote wasn't retained.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I know - but I think it's a mistake.

Of the available options it has to be Lamont.

The question is Horne or Evans on the bench - I'd go with Evans, purely because he better covers more positions.

surely it's both, with Pyrgos or Laidlaw taking the other back replacement shirt. There's no other fly half replacement in the shortened squad

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

Scott can play 10, and I assume could go there in a dire emergency.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

the backs replacements will probably be either Laidlaw or Pyrgos, plus any two of Horne, Evans and Murchie. I'd go for Horne and Evans as I don't really rate Murchie, and Maitland can cover fullback.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

George Carlin wrote:FES - having watched Horne all season, I would say that he actually has been playing well. Are you referring to any matches in particular where you think that he hasn't?

Or is the requirement to be playing in the same position another one of your micro rules without adherence to which You Cannot Be Capped (the others being that you must have played for at least one professional season and your name cannot be M*** B******). Run

So you wouldn't play Keith Earls in your team if you could? Ok!

I really hope that it's not Murchie at 15 and Hogg at 13 - I really would be gutted at that.

I can't think of a particular game, but I remember the match where Horne first took over the kicking duties and he looked fine, but then subsequently just didn't seem to have much impact. Was he even on the pitch for the 1872 fixtures? I don't mean to say he's been playing badly. Not a bad tackler, not a bad passer, not a bad kicker. Nice club player to have.

No-one was even considering Horne until he scored THAT try. Now some people think he should start. Sort of sums up Scottish rugby really.

I'm not too much of a form junkie. For example I don't think Hogg has had a particularly devastating season, in fact for large parts of it he's looked poor (even making Murchie look a better player). But there isn't a cat's chance in hell I'd consider Murchie starting for Scotland at 15 ahead of Hogg, he just doesn't have the same level of talent.

What has Keith Earls got to do with the price of fish?? I'd play Keith Earls at hooker frankly if only to get him into our team!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

Pat - you are correct. I suspect it'll be Pyrgos, Horne and Evans on the bench.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:42 pm

picard
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:42 pm

GC yet again I find myself agreeing with you.
13 seems to be our one spot where no-one is screaming to be picked.
Schlong has the defensive capabilities but you could replace Maitland and McVisser with me and thee for all the ball that we would see.
Evans is strangely deceptive; he will break the line and beat the first defender more often than most but nothing ever comes from it.
Horne is a big laddie, (bless Bill McLaren) , who has very fast feet and a good sense of when to pass. Is he ready to be thrown into a Calcutta cup match?
I would throw caution to the wind and start Horne, but my job isn't on the line.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:44 pm

jimbopip wrote:GC yet again I find myself agreeing with you.
Schlong has the defensive capabilities but you could replace Maitland and McVisser with me and thee for all the ball that we would see.
Evans is strangely deceptive; he will break the line and beat the first defender more often than most but nothing ever comes from it.
Horne is a big laddie, (bless Bill McLaren) , who has very fast feet and a good sense of when to pass. Is he ready to be thrown into a Calcutta cup match?
I would throw caution to the wind and start Horne, but my job isn't on the line.
That's because you have wisdom beyond your years Jimbo young feller me lad.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:44 pm

I think moving Dunbar to the A squad was an error too.

I wonder how long into the tournament we'll be before everyone starts talking about how much we miss NDL at 13...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I wonder how long into the tournament we'll be before everyone starts talking about how much we miss NDL at 13...

For the love of god! Why would you even think such a thing, let alone spend the time to put it in writing. NDL gave a lot to the team but even playing people out of position would be preferable to this. Unless of course the only other option is resurrecting Godman's career and playing him at thirteen.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm

sadly our option of playing Vernon at 13 has disappeared!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:53 pm

George Carlin wrote:
jimbopip wrote:GC yet again I find myself agreeing with you.
That's because you have wisdom beyond your years Jimbo young feller me lad.
George, in our part of Essex people are standing on touchlines on freezing cold Saturday afternoons to see the legendary madmental Scotsman who has come out of retirement to play second team rugby with his son. We make quite a pair of wingers; at 20 years old he is 6'5" and has no body fat (fitness trainer and amateur boxer) whereas I'm 5'9" and cast a shadow that nestles somewhere between Chunk and Alfred Hitchcock, but I am giving him 34 years.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

Peter Horne is 14st. I wouldn't say that makes him a "big laddie".

Lamont and Dunbar are bigger.

No massively keen on his whole "vice captains" idea that Johnson is pushing. Not convinced strapping such a title to a couple of players creates a "leadership group".

Behind Kelly Brown we have Ford, Hamilton, Kellock, Laidlaw and Lamont. Don't think we're short of leaders in the squad frankly, so I don't think having a couple of VCs is necessary.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next