The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

+35
maestegmafia
Manky-Flanker
tigertattie
beshocked
Rory_Gallagher
Cryptoyourisan
reallybored
Heuer27
sensisball
TJ1
alive555
bsando
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pat_Mustard
nickj
George Carlin
RubyGuby
MacKnocked-on
IanBru
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
lostinwales
EWT Spoons
Imperialbigdave
bluestonevedder
Effervescing Elephant
Scot Abroad
Glas a du
GLove39
R!skysports
RDW
UlstermaninGlasgow
RuggerRadge2611
Solid8
39 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 7 Empty Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by Solid8 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Edit - Original 1000 or so posts on this thread are here https://www.606v2.com/t38845p950-scotland-squad-for-the-6-nations - KiwiPete

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Been browsing some Rugby news sites...

Regarding the delay in announcing the Scotland captain, Johnson can't really be thinking about playing Stroks at 6 instead of brown can he?

No but there may be other players he feels could be better captains, given the strong representation of Glasgow in the squad, Kellock maybe.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 7 Empty Re: Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by poddy89 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:15 pm

he was developed with bedford blues, snapped up by saracens in summer 2011 on a dual contract with a championship club and impressed enough after 6 months to land a full time contract, made 12 premiership appearances and played the last 25mins against edinburgh, also won the melrose sevens in the saracens squad with kelly brown,

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 7 Empty Re: Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:17 pm

15 Greig Tonks (Edinburgh Rugby)

14 Duncan Taylor (Saracens)
13 Alex Grove (Worcester Warriors) – 3 caps
12 Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors)
11 Nikki Walker (Worcester Warriors) – 24 caps

10 Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby) – 1 cap
9 Sean Kennedy (Glasgow Warriors)

1 Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks) – 24 caps
2 Steven Lawrie (Edinburgh Rugby)
3 Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors) – 1 cap
4 Tom Ryder (Glasgow Warriors) – 2 caps
5 Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors)
6 Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby)
7 Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks) – 20 caps
8 Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) CAPTAIN

Substitutes
16 Alun Walker (Edinburgh Rugby)
17 Grant Shiells (Newcastle Falcons)
18 Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors)
19 Robert McAlpine (Edinburgh Rugby)
20 James Eddie (Glasgow Warriors)
21 Jamie Stevenson (London Scottish)
22 Ben Cairns (Edinburgh Rugby) – 7 caps
23 Dougie Fife (Edinburgh Rugby)

That's the A team, couple of interesting players I would say. Good to see a London Scottish player selected in Stevenson, just like old times.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:18 pm

Thought we would have seen Gilchrist and MacArthur here. Two unfamiliar names to me, in Taylor and Stevenson. Good to see Cairns on the bench, and Welsh starting, although would have liked to see him in the Scotland side if he's fit. 4 looseheads in this 23 and 3 tightheads in the Scotland one.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:19 pm

Oh and I like the look of that centre pairing!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

Shame that Nikki Walker is starting over Fife - we all know what Walker can do!

Pretty young backline that and glad Heathcoat is getting a gradual introduction instead of being dumped straight into the full team like in the AIs.

Shows how much we're struggling at hooker if Alun Walker is on the bench - he's barely played for Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:24 pm

Duncan Taylor has been getting very good press at Sarries as a barnstorming centre. Always good to see. He's only a youngfeller, so let's see how he progresses.

Quite a well balanced team with a tasty looking bench. Given that I am a malcontent generally, I would have liked to have seen Fife start but by the same token, I have absolutely no idea how Walker has been playing.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:24 pm

Jamie Stevenson (20)
Scrum-half (London Scottish)
Height - 1.85 m (6' 1")
Weight - 84 kg (13st 5lb)

He's a big lad for a scrum half!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:25 pm

Aye Dunbar and Grove, I would think they could be a dangerous combination.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:26 pm

Thinking ahead here but Edinburgh could very much do with a hard running barnstorming centre, and he may be persuaded to move if it will help his Scotland chances...

Saying that I don't see many people wanting to move from Saracens to Edinburgh just now!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Jamie Stevenson (20)
Scrum-half (London Scottish)
Height - 1.85 m (6' 1")
Weight - 84 kg (13st 5lb)

He's a big lad for a scrum half!

used to play hooker and then back row apparently!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

RDW, on the other thread could you do a comparrison of the metrosexuals (backs),

I have already done one for the Grunters.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

is it too late for any of these players to play a part in the rest of the six nations?

does anyone have any idea why macarthur hasnt been picked in either squad? h

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

Could be a scrumhalf in the Mike Philips/ Conor Murray mould then?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:37 pm

I quite like that team. That's an extremely hard working pack there and I'm pleased for Ryan Wilson that he's made captain. On form this season he's a little bit unlucky to have Strokosch and Denton ahead of him in the Scotland squad.

Like the idea of Kennedy and Heathcote getting to know one another, and that centre pairing, with Cairns on the bench, is an indication that for the first time in decades we have decent reserves at centre.

Slightly surprised to see both Walker and Taylor ahead of Fife, who has been excellent for Edinburgh since making the team, but both Walker and Taylor are fairly robust players, and with Dunbar at 12 we won't want for physicality in the backs.

Tonks at 15 is class.

Given the injuries we have, both the Scotland and Scotland A squads are pretty strong in comparison to previous years.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

I agree, we do miss Barclay and Rennie though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

with dunbar, grove and taylor all able to play 13, was it the right call to stick with lamont rather than risking a first cap, although grove has played before,,

both us and englandcould of had a new cap at 13

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:44 pm

I think we could see something similar happening to last year, with hogg being jumped up to the main squad as well as weir, I just hope this time our main squad plays well from the start!

My prediction is that tonks, dunbar and mcarthur should get a run this 6Ns off of the bench at least.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:45 pm

mcarthur was part of the first team 27, and they said none of those players would be involved in the A team

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:02 pm

Decent A squad. I might have added Rory Lawson and Ali Hogg, even Hugo Southwell, to the bench for some experience and a calming influence though.

While I'm all for blooding players for the future, I would prefer we didnt jettison decent options for the first 15 ahead of time. Contrary to many 606 users and the Scots rugby press I'm not for shiny new thing every time.

Neither am I convinced young Jamie from London Scottish and James Eddie really are going to become the next stars for Scotland. However I may be wrong...

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:04 pm

Of that Scotland A squad I think that Jon Welsh will likely be involved in the main squad at some stage this season, can't see anyone else featuring to be honest given that Murchie is in the main squad (for some reason) and covers full back, wing and centre (although I personally only really see him as a 15).

Here's a XV that isn't involved in the Scotland squad or the A squad:

1.Hislop 2.S Lawson 3.Niven 4.Campbell 5.McKenzie 6.Barclay 7.Rennie 8.Hogg 9.R Lawson 10.Wight 11.Brown 12.Ansbro 13.NDL 14.Jones 15.Southwell

We've had worse Scotland A sides in the past, and whilst I shy away from using the word depth (especially for a squad containing Lewis Niven), that does show that we have a few useful players kicking around.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Of that Scotland A squad I think that Jon Welsh will likely be involved in the main squad at some stage this season, can't see anyone else featuring to be honest given that Murchie is in the main squad (for some reason) and covers full back, wing and centre (although I personally only really see him as a 15).

Here's a XV that isn't involved in the Scotland squad or the A squad:

1.Hislop 2.S Lawson 3.Niven 4.Campbell 5.McKenzie 6.Barclay 7.Rennie 8.Hogg 9.R Lawson 10.Wight 11.Brown 12.Ansbro 13.NDL 14.Jones 15.Southwell

We've had worse Scotland A sides in the past, and whilst I shy away from using the word depth (especially for a squad containing Lewis Niven), that does show that we have a few useful players kicking around.

Remember we're not sure yet about Ansbro although fingers crossed, its just good to hear he's feeling good at the moment!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:08 pm

Surprised to see Gordy Reid not getting a start, as we all know what Dickinson does. Also does Shiels cover TH, because I'm pretty sure Gordy doesn't...

No OH cover on the bench, unless Cairns is going to move there... Shocked Didn't Tonks play there at underage?

Jedi isn't bad cover to have. He'll give his all but I do agree he's not international standard. Pity Fusaro couldn't have been given a go to get some fitness!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:20 pm

I agree that it would have been nice to see Hogg back at 8, but with Eadie and Wilson playing well, it was always going to be a long shot.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

I've heard that Tonks can play 10 at a stretch. There is no tighthead cover, in fact Welsh isn't really a tighthead either. Really odd to have three tightheads in the main squad, and none in this one.

I suspect we'll all be fairly pleased with this squad, until we see what the English have in store!

At least Dickinson will know Henry Thomas, and hopefully Thomas will spare him the complete indignity of being subbed after 10 minutes.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

I'm yet to see Tonks at 10 to see if he is any good! He has all the required skills but he's definitely in the back up category.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:40 pm

That's a very good looking A team. Tonks, Grove, Dunbar, Welsh, Wilson and Vernon (to cover 10-13) must consider they will be playing for places in the squad V Italy. Throw in Horne and MacArthur and we are starting to have some real competition for jerseys. SJ's response to this weekend's results will be worth watching : if I was starting at Twickers I would definitely feel that there were at least two people pushing for my place (three if you include Vernon).
On which note; Throwaway Ford must now know he is third choice hooker- will he be Mr Angry with a point to prove when he comes on on Saturday? I do hope so.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:48 pm

True, FES.

And this is even before we've even mentioned your secret son, the Messiah, who can play every position on the field. Simultanously.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 30 Jan 2013, 3:48 pm

George Carlin wrote:True, FES.

And this is even before we've even mentioned your secret son, the Messiah, who can play every position on the field. Simultanously.

Vernon?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:18 pm

The Jedi had a stormer for the Warriors v Northampton and can cover lock too. Great stuff - a thoroughly good guy. He could force himself into contention as he can play 4-8 clap

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:37 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:The Jedi had a stormer for the Warriors v Northampton and can cover lock too. Great stuff - a thoroughly good guy. He could force himself into contention as he can play 4-8 clap

Now Schiz, I'm a big Jedi fan, he gives everything for the team and is immensely proud that he had a second chance with his home club after the whole injury/Sevens thing a few years ago. But he's not going to displace anyone in the Scottish setup anytime soon.

He covers lock at Pro12 level, the same way Bob Harley does, adequately. And he's a great blindside to have, will tackle himself to a standstill and does make a nuisance of himself at rucks, but of the uncapped Glasgow backrows, the one I'd be most glad to see move up to the full setup would be Ryan Wilson. And unfortunately for Jedi, Bob does everything he does, and more, and he's younger.

He's been in outstanding form for Glasgow at all levels, and were it not for Beattie's resurgence in the South of France, I'd have been calling for him to get a cap in this 6N. He may well do vs Italy!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:50 pm

Ok UiG got carried away but The Jedi is a true son of Glasgow and a good, honest player. Need to stick up for Bob Harley too as he went to the same school as me !!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:53 am

Here’s one for discussion – where do people think our best chance of victory comes from?

I think it’s fair to say the under 20s have a fairly miniscule chance of winning – the English pack are almost the same size as the main team’s pack!

The A-team are up against a talented but inexperienced England team so there is a chance, but the England team have had one game together last week and that might make a difference. I think there’s a higher chance of some of the Scotland A boys pushing a claim for a starting place than some of the England A boys so maybe they will have more motivation? Or is that getting a bit optimistic??

As for the main event, well, we’ve discussed that plenty!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:57 am

The Scottish A team has a lot more players who have played a lot of rugby at the top level this season... Might be they have a bit more nous and experience... Then again the Wolfhounds had that and got munched in the scrum so who knows!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 31 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

Look at last year, I dont think ayone really gave the A team a chance, but then the english showed up looking completely disinterested and the rest is history
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Jan 2013, 2:54 pm

That's a young ambitious looking England A team though, playing at home as well. Would be surprised if they have a similar attitude!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:04 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That's a young ambitious looking England A team though, playing at home as well. Would be surprised if they have a similar attitude!

this is very true
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:05 pm

Saxons:

15 Elliot Daly (London Wasps)
14 Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
13 Joel Tomkins (Saracens)
12 Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins)
11 Tom Biggs (Bath Rugby)
10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
9 Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)

1 Matt Mullan (Worcester Warriors)
2 Joe Gray (Harlequins)
3 Paul Doran-Jones (Northampton Saints)
4 Graham Kitchener (Leicester Tigers)
5 George Robson (Harlequins)
6 George Kruis (Saracens)
7 Will Fraser (Saracens)
8 Jordan Crane (Leicester Tigers, captain).

Replacements:
16 Rob Buchanan (Harlequins)
17 Nick Wood (Gloucester Rugby)
18 Kieran Brookes (Leicester Tigers)
19 Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers)
20 Jamie Gibson (London Irish)
21 Joe Simpson (London Wasps)
22 George Lowe (Harlequins)
23 Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:36 pm

Don't think the U20s have a prayer (despite the Messiah..), and that England A team looks pretty awesome to me.

Can't see a side led by Jordan Crane being disinterested, and Kruis, Fraser and Robson are absolute workhorses.

Dunbar and Grove against Turner-Hall and Tomkins will be interesting, definitely worth testing Tomkins' defensive alignment.

I think the main Scotland XV probably has the best chance of the lot frankly.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:08 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Here’s one for discussion – where do people think our best chance of victory comes from?

I think it’s fair to say the under 20s have a fairly miniscule chance of winning – the English pack are almost the same size as the main team’s pack!

The A-team are up against a talented but inexperienced England team so there is a chance, but the England team have had one game together last week and that might make a difference. I think there’s a higher chance of some of the Scotland A boys pushing a claim for a starting place than some of the England A boys so maybe they will have more motivation? Or is that getting a bit optimistic??

As for the main event, well, we’ve discussed that plenty!

you can add 7s to that list, Scotland and England meet in the cup quarter finals at the NZ sevens in the early hours of tomorrow, Scotland having beaten Fiji in the group stage. So just about a full house of Scotland-England matches this weekend!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:17 am

Our 7s team actually won a game?? Surely not! They’ve been rubbish this year!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:32 am

They even beat the mighty Portugal too! I think this is the first time they have made it to the knockout stages of a main cup competition for a while.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 01 Feb 2013, 11:03 am

wheeeyy! Very Happy

'mon 7s!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 01 Feb 2013, 11:27 am

Also here's hoping our women's team do well this weekend too!

Although playing against England women is the male equivalent of playing New Zealand, so it'll be tough but hopefully they can come out with heads held high!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 01 Feb 2013, 11:34 am

NeilyBroon wrote:Also here's hoping our women's team do well this weekend too!

Although playing against England women is the male equivalent of playing New Zealand, so it'll be tough but hopefully they can come out with heads held high!

You just want to see more cleavage Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 01 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

Who is starring for the Sevens team at the moment? Edinburgh could use a couple of speed merchants to come into our squad - pretty thin on decent outside backs.

Getting ridiculously excited about all this kicking off, and nice that the Ireland vs Wales game is on first, to ensure I'm pleasantly drunk before the Calcutta Cup. Never watch England vs Scotland at Twickenham sober. That's the first rule of thumb.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 01 Feb 2013, 12:22 pm

Glas a du wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:Also here's hoping our women's team do well this weekend too!

You just want to see more cleavage Very Happy

... Maybe... to be honest I was hoping they'd wear these kits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4tpcjl57oM

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7