The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Stats

5 posters

Go down

v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Stats Empty v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Stats

Post by MtotheC Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:40 pm

With Round 1 voting finished, I thought it would good to breakdown some of the interesting stats from the group stages.

This is a breakdown of the individual sports representation in the tournament and how the voting went per sport:

Sport No. of Entrants % of Sport Representation Votes % of Votes
American Football 2 3% 35 3.25%
Athletics10 16% 142 13.17%
Baseball 2 3% 19 1.76%
Basketball1 2% 31 2.88%
Boxing 7 11% 131 12.15%
Cricket 6 9% 119 11.04%
Cycling 2 3% 32 2.97%
Darts 1 2% 18 1.67%
Football 5 8% 122 11.32%
Golf 3 5% 45 4.17%
Horse Racing 1 2% 12 1.11%
Ice Hockey 1 2% 45 4.17%
Motor Racing 4 6% 45 4.17%
Rowing 1 2% 24 2.23%
Rugby 6 9% 61 5.66%
Snooker 3 5% 222.04%
Swimming 12% 37 3.43%
Tennis 8 13% 138 12.8%
Total 64 100% 1078 100%

As you can see from the above table the top 5 voted sports in round 1 were:

Athletics 13.17%
Tennis 12.80%
Boxing 12.15%
Football 11.32%
Cricket 11.04%

The participant who won the most votes in round 1: Roger Federer with 48 votes

The participant who advanced with the least amount of votes: Ayrton Senna with 15 votes

The participant that won the least amount of votes in round 1: Ty Cobb with 2 votes

The highest voted group in round 1: Group 7 with 88 votes- Michael Schumacher, Pele, Stephen Hendry and Sugar Ray Robinson

The lowest voted group in round 1: Group 2 with 57 votes- Bjorn Borg, Eddy Merckx, Jackie Joyner Kershee and Joe Montana

We also saw 36 excellent articles written by forum members championing over half of the participants!

Your thoughts on round 1 and how the voting went?

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Stats Empty Re: v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Stats

Post by cherriesfna Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:47 pm

my honest opinion is that tennis was horribly over represented and so was snooker.

thought american sports were underrepresented

othter tahn that good
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:59 pm

Thought it was even spread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:04 pm

initial thoughts are that so far it's been great fun, and that I've learned a fair bit about some sports that I had no idea about. much like cherries I feel some sports were over-represented: boxing, tennis and cricket could easily have been limited to two or three representatives each, for instance Robinson, Ali and maybe Armstrong for boxing, Federer, Graf and Navratilova for tennis, Bradman, Sobers and maybe Warne for cricket. Basically, where there's someone who's clearly above the rest, I wouldn't have felt another representative was needed, so Bradman as the only batsman in cricket, Federer as the only male tennis player, etc.

Equally some other names don't IMO belong on the list: Hastings obviously, but also Zidane, O'Sullivan, etc.

I feel some more "minority" sports (in the sense that they aren't participated in a lot in the UK) such as Judo, Squash, Table Tennis, maybe Volleyball and Handball could have been included.

Having said that, it's obviously not going to be easy to draw up a shortlist of 64 guys, and I felt it was a pretty good effort.

Lastly, some of the clique voting annoyed me. Not just because I championed him, but the fact that Borg received more votes than Merckx is rather telling, and IMO purely because there's a strong tennis presence on these boards, whereas the cycling one is non-existent.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rampage_Jose Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

Enjoy the rugby but think having 6 representatives is a bit too many (although that is including league and union). Other than that the numbers seem well balanced so job well done! OK

Some of the articles championing certain representatives have made for some cracking reads - thanks to everyone who put in the effort!

Rampage_Jose

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:initial thoughts are that so far it's been great fun, and that I've learned a fair bit about some sports that I had no idea about. much like cherries I feel some sports were over-represented: boxing, tennis and cricket could easily have been limited to two or three representatives each, for instance Robinson, Ali and maybe Armstrong for boxing, Federer, Graf and Navratilova for tennis, Bradman, Sobers and maybe Warne for cricket. Basically, where there's someone who's clearly above the rest, I wouldn't have felt another representative was needed, so Bradman as the only batsman in cricket, Federer as the only male tennis player, etc.

Equally some other names don't IMO belong on the list: Hastings obviously, but also Zidane, O'Sullivan, etc.

I feel some more "minority" sports (in the sense that they aren't participated in a lot in the UK) such as Judo, Squash, Table Tennis, maybe Volleyball and Handball could have been included.

Having said that, it's obviously not going to be easy to draw up a shortlist of 64 guys, and I felt it was a pretty good effort.

Lastly, some of the clique voting annoyed me. Not just because I championed him, but the fact that Borg received more votes than Merckx is rather telling, and IMO purely because there's a strong tennis presence on these boards, whereas the cycling one is non-existent.

i agree, i think honestly there were too many participants, 32 would have been enough,

i definatly agree with the point of where 1 person is so far above the rest there is no need including, IMO football should never have gone beyond pele and maradona, maybe messi but those 2 are the be all and end all in football history, how zidane made it in over johann Cryuff aswell.

cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

Its been a very enjoyable process. Picked up details on a few sportsman I had never heard off but agree with some of the above. Football, Cricket, Boxing, Tennis & Rugby were over subscribed. Would have been good to see some more sports in there with Judo, Karate, MMA, Squash, Handball all coming to mind.

Great effort from Admin and whomever else helped though and has been very enjoyable. Maybe a 606v2 Sports person of the year could become an annual feature ran similar to this?

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down