The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+36
BlueCoverman
I'm never wrong
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Nay
JPX
1GrumpyGolfer
beninho
raycastleunited
shudofhita4iron
Roller_Coaster
Skydriver
princedracula
Shotrock
dynamark
golfermartin
lorus59
SmithersJones
pedro
Seve_The_Great
gaelgowfer
barragan
incontinentia
super_realist
Doon the Water
puligny
GunsGerms
kwinigolfer
Hibbz
hend085
JAS
McLaren
navyblueshorts
mystiroakey
Diggers
oldshanker
40 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by oldshanker Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:56 am

First topic message reminder :

I agree Digs - what I was commenting on was not their lack of invention, but their lack of cohesion. They did not get the basics right, the least a back has to do is commit his opposite number, which becomes more important against the 'drift' defence, and then follow up and support. This was not happening yesterday, apart from Chris ashton on occasions.

I have not seen Goode play in his club matches, but on a number of occasions, he caught the ball deep, began to run, hesitated and then was caught without any support. I can't remember ever seeing Ben Foden caught like that. It is yet another sign of a lack of cohesion in the backs.

Of course, this probably is all due to the fact they are a relatively new squad and should come together the more they play together. But on the face of it, I think yesterday was a fair showing against a team that in my opinion is still there to be taken and will possibly only get one win in this series.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Oakey, do you think all those footballers know the difference between a £200 bottle of Krystal and a £20 Moet,or do they just buy it because of the price?

THat's the point. You are supposed to be seen to be discerning and cultured if you drink expensive champagne, whereas you'd get more respect if you just admitted you didn't like either and had a glass of water instead.

Not liking something which may be high class, have a reputation or be known as the supreme product doesn't mean you are uncultured, or haven't developed your palatte properly. It just means you don't like it.

You'll get lots of wine "experts" who argue over the quality or taste of something.
You can't please everyone.

Price does not guarantee quality in anything.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:17 pm

I am arguing that myself SR.,.

when it comes to wine.. you certainly do not allways get what you pay for.. however the rock bottom stuff is pretty nasty in fairness. And i do actually wonder if the reason people dont like stuff is because they have experienced that rock bottom stuff.

The same with food as well. I fell like kids dont like certain foods(which continues in to adulthood) because it was cooked badly in the first place..

The classic would be over boiled cabbage for instance with no seasoning

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:18 pm

I wasn't questioning your multitude of skills Mysti just those of the general population much like you did.

mystiroakey wrote:the typical english sentiment for food makes me cringe!

And anyone that doesn't know why Champagne is called Champagne shouldn't be allowed to drink alcohol full stop.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:22 pm

That's life though Oakey.

You can go to a restaurant and because it has Gordon Ramsey or Wanky Blumenthal above the door and costs £200 a plate doesn't mean it will taste any better than what you can cook at home, but because it is made by them you are supposed to believe that it will. Even if something is cooked well with the best quality ingredients is no guarantee that everyone will like it, and you shouldn't have a go at people as if it their shortcoming through a lack of palate training if they come to that conclusion.
I don't like most cheeses, even though I lived in France for a while. I tasted the very best stuff, but still didn't like it, and nothing, not even continually trying to like it will change my mind.

Have you seen designer gear like Handbags and stuff. The price does not reflect quality or technology. It's simply snobbery.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:23 pm

I could honestly incoproate religion into this as well SR.

You have a very hard stance on it your self.. I am a lot more forgiving should i say(although i pretty much agree with you)

But religious people are 99% of the time religious because they are raised on it.

Many people(especially in this country compared to the rest of europe) are very less likly to try different foods.. Why do you ask?

No its not becasue they simply dont like it- That is ridiculas.. Our paltets are not genetically different to people from mainland europe

But many are raised differently when it comes to food!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Of course they aren't different, there are plenty reasons why you don't like something. You'll find as many Italians who don't like English food as you will find English people who don't like Italian.

It's not remotely comparable with religion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:43 pm

forget religion think nuture.

nuture is the key to religions success, nuture also plays a massive part in what you like dislike..

And dont think about italian or english food.. Thats not the key point. the key point is attitude to food.. there is a much healthier attitude to food in italy than the UK

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Personally I could live on seafood, love all of it, I think the only thing I've ever struggled with is raw eel in a sushi restaurant, anything else will get wolfed down.

As for wine I do know what I like and perhaps not 100% but I do reckon most of the time I could tell the difference between a £4.00 bottle and a £20.00 bottle (you will get the odd exceptional cheap bottle and slightly more often a minging £20 bottle). As a rule though I'd normally be able to tell and if I couldn't at night then I'd know in the morning...cheap bottles more often than not more likely to leave more of a hangover.

With regard to champagne the standard £15-£30 bottles are fine (Moet, Heidsieck, Mumm, Lanson etc) If you gave me Krug, Crystal etc I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If however you gave me Asti Spumante you wouldn't be invited back in a hurry.

I tend to keep some Lanson in the fridge as I have a "buddy" that........ah not before the watershed!!

Last edited by JAS on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Rubbish.
I dislike and like foods that my siblings are completely the opposite too, despite us being raised exactly the same.

Religion is different because regardless of how much it is drilled into you you can still choose whether to believe it or not. You cannot learn to like a food that is physically repulsive to you.

There is probably a pretty poor attitude to food in the lower echelons of British society, but most people have jobs can afford to eat well and properly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:47 pm

also tell me one person that hates italian food?

The working class population lives on horse meat lasagnes and dominoes pizza

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:49 pm

In matters of taste, no one is "wrong" (IMO).

When my daughter was 4, her favorite flavor was "red". Does this make her wrong? Absolutely not.

But, I'll also suggest while any of us can immediately become a wine critic, the more wines I taste (supposing I have any sort of discerning palate), the more 'sophisticated' my tastes can become. There's joy in that ... just like there's joy in traveling to different parts of the world and playing new golf courses.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I'd rather eat Horse than Pork for sure.

There's nothing to stop you preferring a cheap wine over an expensive one. It's a matter of taste, not price, simply because something is expensive, doesn't mean it will taste better to you.

I'd rather have a cheese sandwich than a foie gras one. Doesn't make me a peasant or a philistine.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:56 pm

"With regard to champagne the standard £15-£30 bottles are fine (Moet, Heidsieck, Mumm, Lanson etc)"

well they are allways half price at crimbo!!

and offcourse i partake put i put them on the 30-40 pound scale to be honest!

saying all this i remember a champapne i got in sainsburys a few years ago. Motard or something like that and loved it- it was only a tenner!!

but most of the 15 quid bottles that are obscure makes or supermarket own brands i tend to notice the difference.

I am a sucker for lauren perion rose tbh- so not out of this world expensive anyway, but certainly not something i can drink every week!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

super_realist wrote:I'd rather eat Horse than Pork for sure.

There's nothing to stop you preferring a cheap wine over an expensive one. It's a matter of taste, not price, simply because something is expensive, doesn't mean it will taste better to you.

I'd rather have a cheese sandwich than a foie gras one. Doesn't make me a peasant or a philistine

Certainly not SR.. However i would argue anyone sticking frois gras in a sandwich is a philistine. You shouldnt eat something like that that way.. Need abit of carmalised onion- decent bread or meba toast etc.. It would be similar to dowing a bottle of champagne.. If you gonna have the good stuff- enjoy it!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:00 pm

What about ciggies Oakey.

Do you smoke Dunhill, YSL or Sobraine because of your sophistocated palate or stick to B &H or student fags like Marlboro Light?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:03 pm

b & h silver mate!

horrid things.. used to smoke the golds but if i smoke one of them these days i choke!!

but i have plenty of cohibas in the humidor!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 pm

What a philistine you are, all that fine food tainted by a cigarette favoured by the sun reading white van man. Mac would be appalled.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:11 pm

yeah lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Like sprinkling ground up dog dirt onto caviar

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"With regard to champagne the standard £15-£30 bottles are fine (Moet, Heidsieck, Mumm, Lanson etc)"

well they are allways half price at crimbo!!

and offcourse i partake put i put them on the 30-40 pound scale to be honest!

saying all this i remember a champapne i got in sainsburys a few years ago. Motard or something like that and loved it- it was only a tenner!!

but most of the 15 quid bottles that are obscure makes or supermarket own brands i tend to notice the difference.

I am a sucker for lauren perion rose tbh- so not out of this world expensive anyway, but certainly not something i can drink every week!!

Sainsburys own is actually OK, you are right though most of them are over £30 these days but they do usually have one of those on offer at any one time. They've got a nice Lanson Rose at £25 a bottle this week it was on last week too.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 pm

yep exactly like that sr..

We all have our faults.. You know you are overly judgemental, your fussy with food. I smoke(not that it matters what brand you smoke!!) and cant spell..

life goes on...

Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Jas

yeah i noticed the white bottle of that on offer in tesco the other day!

decent price and I was thinking of adding to my stock!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Jas

yeah i noticed the white bottle of that on offer in tesco the other day!

decent price and I was thinking of adding to my stock!

Aye it's dangerous at that price, far too gluggable. It's a particular favourite of my little "buddy". As it's after the watershed now...she likes to dribble champagne on herself and have it licked off....Now although I'd still enjoy it I can't see Hoegaarden creating quite the same ambiance Super :-O

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm

I seem to have started a bit of a beast - let's throw this in to the mix........

Nyetimber based in the South Downs - Blanc de Blanc at £30 a bottle voted the best sparkling wine (including purist champagnes) in the world!

But I suspect you already know about this little gem Mystir.

Pretentious moi!!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 pm

oldshanker wrote:I seem to have started a bit of a beast - let's throw this in to the mix........

Nyetimber based in the South Downs - Blanc de Blanc at £30 a bottle voted the best sparkling wine (including purist champagnes) in the world!

But I suspect you already know about this little gem Mystir.

Pretentious moi!!

no i certainly didnt and as i have said i have sampled many a decent sparkling wine and prefer them to many champagnes..I will give it a try if i see it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Jas lol- That post reminds me of that boddingtons add!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:40 pm

SR's dream woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mp646_H_xo

laughing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:43 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Jas lol- That post reminds me of that boddingtons add!!

Lol...D'you wanna flake in that Luv?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 pm

was it really 20 years ago!!!

oh my!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Lucky wine story ... Not bragging, just relating Smile ...

10 Years ago ... a buddy calls me about an ad he read in the newspaper (Utica, Kwini!). "Divorce - selling husband's wine collection. 32 bottles. $1200 firm" NO description of what wines, provenance, etc. A buddy drives over and calls me: Loaded! 2 75 d'yquems, 8 -10 first growth 82s and 89s. Some high end 2nd growth of same vintages. 60 and 63 Vintage Ports, assorted others. We buy on the spot. Who knows how well they were kept, but not bad bottle in the bunch. Still have some in storage

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 pm

sounds like an amazing investment!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:01 am

Yes Mysti ... but not so much a traditional investment ... more an investment in enjoying the finer things of life!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 am

ahmen to that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 am

Surprised it wasn't all Valpolicella . . . . . .

Sr, Went to Bremer's the other day, not a patch on the old place when you'd never know what treasures you'd find. Then there was the guy at Campus Liquors who'd order me cases and give me 25% off. Loved that!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 am

I will admit that I am what some might describe as a "foodie". I see food as a hobby, whether that be making it or eating out. I really think anyone can learn what is good and what is not. You just have to try enough different levels of cooking. It doesn't even have to be fine dining but maybe trying the best hot dogs in town to see how good a hot dog can be.

It is the same with wines, and like Shotrock mentioned the more you taste the more of an idea you get about what you like. You can also start to appreciate what makes the slightly better wines a little more drinkable.

My pet hate is watching people pick at food and push it around the plate. I love food but will pretty much eat anything as long as its not very unethically sourced.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 am

Mac thumbsup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 am

McLaren wrote:ban
Not sure what your point is?
Religion thinks it can explain everything. Science continues to look for new knowledge on the basis it cant explain everything.
I know what I would rather go with.
simply, that you also need faith to believe in science.
i don't fully buy the idea that religion tries to explain everything. the word of god as presented in the bible for instance doesn't state anywhere that the world is 6000 years old to my knowledge. that is based solely on the theories of certain scientists who think the dating of earth can be done by estimating family trees / ages of generations etc. then applying this to the assumption that god created man on the 'sixth' day... a common mistake in interpretation. an interpretation of translations which is far more plausible that the world was created in 6 stages (of vast spells of time) and we are currently residing within the window of the 7th stage - the 'day' god rested .its a mistake that many armchair critics make is to assume the bible and others holy texts premises are to give us scientific explanations for everything. that really isn't the premise, so to read it in that way is foolish.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:42 am

Barragan, There isn't a "scientist" in the world thinks the world is 6000 years old.
That is the theory of creationist crackpots.

Faith is also not the basis of Science, fact is.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Kwin - Had a good few scores at Buddy's Oneida Square store as well. When I get back up there (usually to stock up on my way to Old Forge) he asks me where I've been ... and I need to remind him I haven't lived in the area for almost 30 years!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Did anyone see the recent episode of Black Mirror?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 am

Guys, Tiger is about to loos in the GOAT awards. Please vote for him and keep golfs hope alive.

https://www.606v2.com/t40642-v2-goat-the-last-16-match-2

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:45 am

McLaren wrote:Guys, Tiger is about to loos in the GOAT awards. Please vote for him and keep golfs hope alive.

He's gone Mac, probably the victim of a bit of negative posting (like what you tried but much less successfully) on Pele and Ali. Did it really matter that much to you that you felt you had to canvass support on these boards??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 am

No talk of Pistorius yet.. If I had a girlfriend that hot there's no way I'd murder her, does anyone think he has a leg to stand on?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 am

McLaren wrote:Guys, Tiger is about to loos in the GOAT awards. Please vote for him and keep golfs hope alive.

He's about to do what in the "loos" Mac? Laugh

Inco, Those jokes have got a beard. You're way too late. Typical Irish slowness guinness Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:15 am

incontinentia wrote:No talk of Pistorius yet.. If I had a girlfriend that hot there's no way I'd murder her, does anyone think he has a leg to stand on?

laughing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 am

Probably not the valentines surprise Pistorias' burd was looking for

Roses are red,
violets are glorious
Don't have a barney
With Oscar Pistorias

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 am

Pretty amazing and scarry stuff at the same time over night in Russia...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/15/us-russia-meteorite-idUSBRE91E05Z20130215

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Omh7_I8vI

Just as well that their big mother didn't hit us. Two things about this:
- it's amazing how well science can find, predict and track these asteroids today (this was predicted for this date and tracked for about 15 years)
- scarry part is that despite all that, there are still things that are unpredictable, like these 'companion' meteorites that can do potentially a lot of damage.

There was another piece of news a few days ago when two Russian astronomers have discovered another very big asteroid that they reckon, by early calculations, it is likely to hit the earth in 2106...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

Oh no, I'll be 131 by then. Better get the Anderson shelter built now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

"it's amazing how well science can find, predict and track these asteroids today (this was predicted for this date and tracked for about 15 years)"

It really does prove that science is certainly more factual than religion i tell ya..

SR you a fit lad.. the way you excercise you may well witness it!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 am

super_realist wrote:Oh no, I'll be 131 by then. Better get the Anderson shelter built now.
Yeah. "Duck and cover!"
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next