The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do with a problem like Phillips

+35
lostinwales
mikey_philVIII
fa0019
Sugarlump
Sin é
dragonbreath
SneakySideStep
Scrumpy
OzT
Cyril
Toadfish
Morgannwg
majesticimperialman
George Carlin
RubyGuby
Adam
maestegmafia
king_carlos
RuggerRadge2611
wales606
ChequeredJersey
Comfort
B91212
dummy_half
Knowsit17
belovedfrosties
ScarletSpiderman
Barney McGrew did it
Liam
TJ1
bedfordwelsh
Exiledinborders
gowershowerpower
thebluesmancometh
R!skysports
39 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What to do with a problem like Phillips - Page 2 Empty What to do with a problem like Phillips

Post by R!skysports Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

One of the biggest discussion points for the upcoming lions tour is the scrum half / flanker that is Phillips. Never in recent history has one player brought so many polar opinions, from a sure fire starter to not even on the plane in the minds of posters

But what does Phillips have that would make us want him in the lions team, or is he a failed experiment of large men in the wrong positons

We know Phillips brings aggression, toughness and a fairly good turn of pace. He can keep the flankers guessing and can create a good break. He is solid in defense and has improved his passing out of the rucks.

But is his flankiness enough to cover from his limitations at the core of scrumhalfiness?

Can he control a game, change the direction, bring into attack players and mix it up enough. Does he spend too much time looking to hug the opposition, is he too slow getting the ball out of the ruck and does he have too much gravel in his tracks making him go route one too often

For the lions, do we need an extra flanker? Does he bring enough to the party? Does he bring a different dish to put on the barbie that gives us options? Is he the cure, or the disease? Is he the one or the bum?

In short should he go, start or stay at home?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

What to do with a problem like Phillips - Page 2 Empty Re: What to do with a problem like Phillips

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 10:58 am

I will!

I would certainly be more concernd if Williams started. I reckon he is excatly what Wales need.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

What to do with a problem like Phillips - Page 2 Empty Re: What to do with a problem like Phillips

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:14 am

What we need is a platform so that the 9 can have some decent ball thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

The thing is Phillips is the sort of Scrum half you want when you don't have a platform. He tackles well, he is big and strong and can generate momentum.

To get the best out of the more skillful scrum halves you want a pack that won't get butchered every week. Ryan Jones and Tipuric should be able to help you out at the breakdown and I must say that Coombs chap has impressed me.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:44 am

I disagree ruggerradghe, a sh is a good sh behind a good or bad pack. Look at gregan for example, towards the end of his career he was behind a wallabies pack which often went backwards more often than forwards, but still got the back line moving. Well any decent wallabies scrummie needs to be quite sharp as their pack often are on the back foot.

Saying that I think MP has his place in a squad. Maybe not as 1st choice starter but can come on maybe to hold a slender margin, or if suddenly the lion's pack starts falling apart. Prob not select him to score heapsa points but at least with MP you know pretty much what he can produce, and he usually produces that well

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:47 am

Toadfish wrote:These stats obviously need to be taken with a pinch of salt as rugby is a team game and there is only so much influence an individual can have but looking at the respective contenders records against Australia is interesting:

Player Starts Subs Wins
Phillips 8 1 0
Laidlaw 1 0 1
Youngs 2 2 2
Murray 0 1 1

As I say doesn't necessarily say much but for every argument that experience favors Phillips could be argued against with experience of winning being just as (if not more) valuable.

Pathetic and pointless to be honest.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:48 am

Morgannwg wrote:
Toadfish wrote:These stats obviously need to be taken with a pinch of salt as rugby is a team game and there is only so much influence an individual can have but looking at the respective contenders records against Australia is interesting:

Player Starts Subs Wins
Phillips 8 1 0
Laidlaw 1 0 1
Youngs 2 2 2
Murray 0 1 1

As I say doesn't necessarily say much but for every argument that experience favors Phillips could be argued against with experience of winning being just as (if not more) valuable.

Yeah, but enough about you. What do you think of the stats?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:49 am

Morgannwg wrote:

Player Starts Subs Wins
Phillips 8 1 0
Laidlaw 1 0 1
Youngs 2 2 2
Murray 0 1 1

Couldn't agree more.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

To be honest I do think a lot of Welsh fans are in a bit of denial about Phillips. I don't want to come across as someone who is trying to antagonize because Wales are my 2nd team and I really want them to play well and be successful.

I just think Phillips is an empty shirt and Wales have ditched far better players than him Hook, Peel & Byrne all spring to mind.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:58 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:The powerhouse that no other 9 likes to play against
Genia loves playing against him. He's made him look like a lumbering oaf plenty of times. Doesn't bode well, does it?

Well I just count the one occassion. Keep digging though.

Heterz gon' hate.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:59 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Player Starts Subs Wins
Phillips 8 1 0
Laidlaw 1 0 1
Youngs 2 2 2
Murray 0 1 1

Yeah, but enough about you. What do you think of the stats?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:06 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:To be honest I do think a lot of Welsh fans are in a bit of denial about Phillips. I don't want to come across as someone who is trying to antagonize because Wales are my 2nd team and I really want them to play well and be successful.

I just think Phillips is an empty shirt and Wales have ditched far better players than him Hook, Peel & Byrne all spring to mind.

Bluesman has been making it his own minority crusade in Phillips favour to elude the public to his benefits, many of BM's points ring true.

He can physically handle himself against any backrower infancy most forwards and therefor offers a challenge that other nines do not.

He has proved an asset behind a bad pack and a good one plus the experience he has compared to the other options is huge.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:09 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Genia loves playing against him. He's made him look like a lumbering oaf plenty of times. Doesn't bode well, does it?

Blair loved playing against him too

Made him look slow and poor

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

Riskysports wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

I don't seem to remember that. But even if that's true, if we go by Toadfish's hypothesis then none of that matters because surely all of those games have been L's for Scotland.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm

One of the things that people keep bringing up about Philips is how well he did in the last lions

I actually thought he cost us the second match to be honest

Too often he would go for the the line himself at rucks when we have men over, just to be held up or turned over. There was one example 2 m out that was a sure fire score if he had passed, but he picked up and tried to bully his way over - he lost the ball

That is imo one of his biggest weaknesses - he chooses to crash it himself and ends up at the bottom of rucks far too often, meaning someone else has to do his job

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:17 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

I don't seem to remember that. But even if that's true, if we go by Toadfish's hypothesis then none of that matters because surely all of those games have been L's for Scotland.

It was in the league - with a W :-)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:19 pm

Riskysports wrote:One of the things that people keep bringing up about Philips is how well he did in the last lions

I actually thought he cost us the second match to be honest

Too often he would go for the the line himself at rucks when we have men over, just to be held up or turned over. There was one example 2 m out that was a sure fire score if he had passed, but he picked up and tried to bully his way over - he lost the ball

That is imo one of his biggest weaknesses - he chooses to crash it himself and ends up at the bottom of rucks far too often, meaning someone else has to do his job

I see what you mean.

The thing is, no matter your personal opinion on him, Gatland seems to like his physical backrow-with-hands scrum half (Phillips and Knoyle seem to be liked by Gats). So at a guess Phillips or Murray will start, but I would assume that somewhere in the squad a place will be found for someone who will be able to step into the scrum half slot as required. If you look at Wales, Ryan Jones (and now Coombs) tend to be at the base of the rucks when Phillips is on the deck.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:23 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

Player Starts Subs Wins
Phillips 8 1 0
Laidlaw 1 0 1
Youngs 2 2 2
Murray 0 1 1

Funny that does rather nicely describe your response.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:26 pm

Toadfish wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Player Starts Subs Wins
Phillips 8 1 0
Laidlaw 1 0 1
Youngs 2 2 2
Murray 0 1 1

You and Cyril the serial complainer must be twins heart.

So how does your arguement hold up? Change the context, say Phillips versus the other opposition on that list in all games in the past two years. The stats change. So again how does this hold up? Alternatively, look at OzT's reply.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:35 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Toadfish wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Player Starts Subs Wins
Phillips 8 1 0
Laidlaw 1 0 1
Youngs 2 2 2
Murray 0 1 1

You and Cyril the serial complainer must be twins heart.

So how does your arguement hold up? Change the context, say Phillips versus the other opposition on that list in all games in the past two years. The stats change. So again how does this hold up? Alternatively, look at OzT's reply.

I didn't make any arguments or form a hypothesis as you seemed to have claimed. Can you read? You seem to be taking this very personally.

People talk about experience all the time and one element of experience can be winning against a particular side. In this respect Phillips doesn't have any, the others do. As I said though originally this has to be taken with a pinch of salt as there are a tonne of other factors to consider.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:47 pm

Well then I don't understand your reasoning for posting said stats, and assumed it was another dig at Mikey Phil.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:53 pm

All I can say about Phillips is that he needs to watch Peter Stringer play.

As a Bath fan I've thought we had a very good Scrum Half in Michael Claassens, a good solid performer that was until I've saw Stringer play at the Rec. Even in his twilight years he looks class and has helped make us look half decent since his arrival.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SneakySideStep Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:25 pm

Phillips was a shoe-in on the last Lions tour. His form has see-sawed since then, but on his day he is a class international act. That to my mind says it and he should definitely go on tour.

The fact that his form has mirrored the success of the Welsh side is no coincidence. Prior to WC2011, several Welsh posters were saying he shouldn't even be on the plane which frankly was ridiculous. In the event he was one of the experienced players who started performing at their best, and the result was very good for the team. Now, he's one of several experienced players who are not on top form, and the national side has gone accordingly.

All-in-all, he's too good and too experienced to be left behind. Definitely not a test starter as things stand, but form is a fickle thing...

SneakySideStep

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:39 pm

Phillips behind a dominant pack is a great asset to have thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:18 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Well then I don't understand your reasoning for posting said stats, and assumed it was another dig at Mikey Phil.

Because they were both interesting and amusing whilst being rather meaningless as Toadfish said

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:23 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Phillips behind a dominant pack is a great asset to have thumbsup

Nah - thats when you need a wee quick guy.
Philips you need on the bench for if your pack is getting cuffed and the wee nippy guy getting trampled

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu 14 Feb 2013, 2:46 pm

TJ wrote:Stay at home. a poor scrum half. he looks good at what he does but people forget what he doesn't do - which is get the ball into attackers hands quickly.

Youngs, Laidlaw, Murray, etc etc - we don't need him

Murray was dreadful against England. A poor mans Mike why would you take him in preference if that style of SH is needed in the squad.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu 14 Feb 2013, 2:48 pm

[quote="VictorU3"]All I can say about Phillips is that he needs to watch Peter Stringer play.

You do read some funny things on here, even if they are often not meant to be

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:00 pm

B91212 wrote:Straight shoot out with Murray for me to be a physical 9 option for the tour. Going for him he has experience, against him maybe he isn't great for team unity based on some of his previous. Also wasn't his fitness in question during the AI's by Gatland?

All the Irish lads speak highly of him (including ROG). POC said he thought he was going to be a right pain in the neck going on the Lions, but said he found him to be great crack.

Who will go will depend on who the outhalfs are - Murray will go if Sexton goes etc. Same idea as when Gatland played 13 Ospreys to win the grand slam. Country partnerships will be retained.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:03 pm

dragonbreath wrote:
TJ wrote:Stay at home. a poor scrum half. he looks good at what he does but people forget what he doesn't do - which is get the ball into attackers hands quickly.

Youngs, Laidlaw, Murray, etc etc - we don't need him

Murray was dreadful against England. A poor mans Mike why would you take him in preference if that style of SH is needed in the squad.

He didn't look like the poor man's Mike the week before when playing Wales.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:03 pm

Sin é wrote:
B91212 wrote:Straight shoot out with Murray for me to be a physical 9 option for the tour. Going for him he has experience, against him maybe he isn't great for team unity based on some of his previous. Also wasn't his fitness in question during the AI's by Gatland?

All the Irish lads speak highly of him (including ROG). POC said he thought he was going to be a right pain in the neck going on the Lions, but said he found him to be great crack.

Who will go will depend on who the outhalfs are - Murray will go if Sexton goes etc. Same idea as when Gatland played 13 Ospreys to win the grand slam. Country partnerships will be retained.

But who would have thought BOD & Roberts would have worked so well? Or Toonie & Dawson in 97 or WJ McBride and Broon in 77? Or the Front row of Sole, Moore and Young in 89?

The differant countries coming together is where the strength comes from. To retain partnerships solely for familiarity would be a mistake.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlump Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:08 pm

[quote="dragonbreath"]
VictorU3 wrote:All I can say about Phillips is that he needs to watch Peter Stringer play.

Not especially, the thing you want first and foremost from yer scrummy is a decent pass and Stringer more often than not fires a decent pass quickly. Mikey Phillips (the biggest badass in McDonalds) pass has never been that good, Ben Youngs and Danny Care have been too slow to ship the ball from the base of the ruck in the past but Stringer keeps things moving quickly. I was never his biggest fan as a player but it can't be denied how effective he has been internationally and for his province, I also think there's less of the 'look at me' factor which could be attributed to MP, BY and DC.

Sugarlump

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

Versatility is very important in this series.

We need options in all positions. Forwards who can play a tight game, forwards who can play a loose game, backs who are defensive rocks, backs who are attacking lynchpins.

Phillips is different from other 9s. He's big, he's strong and can act like a backrow forward with more gas.
He has his downsides. His kicking game could be better, his passing game is below par as is his game management.

Against SA in 09 we needed big lumps all over the park. Thats why they went with Monye, Roberts, Phillips in the backs. Against AUS the test team will need something different. They need to be street smart rugby players and they need a scrum half who can exploit weaknesses and give his backs a great platform.

I think he'll tour and I think he should. I would have him on the test bench but not the first XV.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:41 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Phillips - the man they all like to hate, the recent scorer of winning trys v England and Ireland both in the 6 nations and RWC - The powerhouse that no other 9 likes to play against - The Lions scrum half on the last tour who ripped through defences. I'm afraid Mike will be on the plane to Aus and lets see how he goes for the rest of the 6 Nations. Iron Mike v little Ben should be interesting in March and may the best man win. thumbsup

He'll also have to deal with Laidlaw in the Scotland match... Currently I fancy Laidlaw to win that exchange too.

Mike will have to have the worst game of his life for that to happen.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

[quote="Sugarlump"]
dragonbreath wrote:
VictorU3 wrote:All I can say about Phillips is that he needs to watch Peter Stringer play.

Not especially, the thing you want first and foremost from yer scrummy is a decent pass and Stringer more often than not fires a decent pass quickly. Mikey Phillips (the biggest badass in McDonalds) pass has never been that good, Ben Youngs and Danny Care have been too slow to ship the ball from the base of the ruck in the past but Stringer keeps things moving quickly. I was never his biggest fan as a player but it can't be denied how effective he has been internationally and for his province, I also think there's less of the 'look at me' factor which could be attributed to MP, BY and DC.

Stringer is a decent player, but no more. I often have this discussion with an Irish mate of mine who sanctifies ROG and Stringer. The way I see it is that both benefited from a lack of competition over the years and rather than being the reason for Ireland's success are actually the reason that Ireland underachieved during that period. Sure they won some triple crowns and a GS but they would have been the dominant side for the past decade or more had they had some world class half backs. PS is barely international standard let alone in a position to school Mike Phillips

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:52 pm

dragonbreath wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Phillips - the man they all like to hate, the recent scorer of winning trys v England and Ireland both in the 6 nations and RWC - The powerhouse that no other 9 likes to play against - The Lions scrum half on the last tour who ripped through defences. I'm afraid Mike will be on the plane to Aus and lets see how he goes for the rest of the 6 Nations. Iron Mike v little Ben should be interesting in March and may the best man win. thumbsup

He'll also have to deal with Laidlaw in the Scotland match... Currently I fancy Laidlaw to win that exchange too.

True. I'm reading this and do not understand the Scottish dislike for Mike Phillips. Much like I don't understand their dislike for Lee Byrne.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:56 pm

Maybe we should have a thread for most hated 15? With Phillips, Hartley, Ashton, Byrne, Healy - plenty of names to go around.

I guess I (and the scots) are probably respectful of Byrne's ability as a kick boxer, its the rugby thats more of an issue.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:05 pm

lostinwales wrote:Maybe we should have a thread for most hated 15? With Phillips, Hartley, Ashton, Byrne, Healy - plenty of names to go around.

I guess I (and the scots) are probably respectful of Byrne's ability as a kick boxer, its the rugby thats more of an issue.

Laugh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:12 pm

OK here goes

We hate Hartley because he’s a thug
We hate Ashton because he looks like Hartley
We hate Phillips because he truly is the most useless SH in test rugby
We hate Byrne because he’s too dim
We hate Healy because of his imitation of Stampy the elephant in the Simpsons

Hey, this is fun.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:14 pm

dragonbreath wrote:
Stringer is a decent player, but no more. I often have this discussion with an Irish mate of mine who sanctifies ROG and Stringer. The way I see it is that both benefited from a lack of competition over the years and rather than being the reason for Ireland's success are actually the reason that Ireland underachieved during that period. Sure they won some triple crowns and a GS but they would have been the dominant side for the past decade or more had they had some world class half backs. PS is barely international standard let alone in a position to school Mike Phillips

On the hope and a prayer that none of my fellow Irish posters are reading this thread I'll second this.

Although I will say that ROG was an exceptional tactical kicker and distributor who was complimented by an excellent passer in Stringer, very solid Munster based Irish pack and a quicksilver backline for Ireland containing a prime O'Driscoll for many years. Square pegs in square holes but fairly limited all round players all things considered.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:15 pm

If a player is loved by his own people and hated by his opponents, he must have done something right in his career.

How many people hate the Italian rugby team?

Once they start getting good see that hatred double up.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

fa0019 wrote:If a player is loved by his own people and hated by his opponents, he must have done something right in his career.

How many people hate the Italian rugby team?

Once they start getting good see that hatred double up.

+1 with Phillips and Hartley encapsulating that statement - Both are very very good players but opposing fans are reluctant to admit this thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:18 pm

rodders

Stringer was wee and never a ball carrier but what he did was unleash your backline and gave players like BOD ample time to work his magic.

We had the same with Brian Redpath.... he too was a wee general who commanded great respect and controlled our pack like a jockey.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:35 pm

fa0019 wrote:rodders

Stringer was wee and never a ball carrier but what he did was unleash your backline and gave players like BOD ample time to work his magic.

We had the same with Brian Redpath.... he too was a wee general who commanded great respect and controlled our pack like a jockey.

Ah no he played his role no doubt, underrated cover defender too but for me he was never that good a scrum half. Redpath was a more complete player for sure. Scotland produced quite a good SHs recently - Redpath, Armstrong, Nicol, Custiter, Blair etc-.

Reddan was underrated, as was Boss and Marshall is now.... compared to these guys Stringer was and still is massively overrated by Irish fans and media imo.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:44 pm

dragonbreath wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

You think? - Laidlaw is a fine scrum half and if he plays to his best in this 6N he could well be on the plane. He is a smart rugby player. I'd back him to make Phillips look slow and stupid. We will see.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:47 pm

Barney McGrew did it wrote:OK here goes

Hey, this is fun.
Dan Parks for his sideburns and his rabbit in the headlights look
Ronan O'Gara for having a face you would never get tired of slapping

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:54 pm

TJ wrote:
Barney McGrew did it wrote:OK here goes

Hey, this is fun.
Dan Parks for his sideburns and his rabbit in the headlights look
Ronan O'Gara for having a face you would never get tired of slapping laughing

Henson. For being an orange to$$er
Campese for living up to just about every Australian stereotype available.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:59 pm

Wouldn't take Phillips, for me Youngs and Murray are the 2 choices to make the 23, I would take Care as 3rd choice for the midweek side, the only reason to take Phillips would be to take some more experience in the touring party, but he would still only feature in the midweek side for me.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:06 pm

He is Benny's pick (Phill Bennett) because he is a frightening physical presence. There is no doubt that the area around the breakdown is his. Gatland loves him. I was never a fan until I saw him lift Wales to beat Ireland last year. The players were less frightened of the Irish than they were of their scrum half!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:16 pm

Apart from one game against Wales and the odd game for Munster, Murray has been ranged from poor - average.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:49 pm

Sin é wrote:He didn't look like the poor man's Mike the week before when playing Wales.
To be fair, in that first half against Wales, the entire Ireland team looked like the 1973 Barbarians reincarnated. That was one of the great halves of Rugby at the top level in quite a while.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next