The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHEN Wales are crowned 2013 6 Nations Champions

+33
Pal Joey
nganboy
Casartelli
fa0019
Luckless Pedestrian
AlastairW
rainbow-warrior
glamorganalun
gowershowerpower
Taffineastbourne
TJ1
Jimpy
Norfolklass
damngoodOvalball
tomhughesnice
majesticimperialman
maestegmafia
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Biltong
nobbled
Poorfour
Breadvan
Scrumpy
Morgannwg
lostinwales
Duty281
100%beefy
ScarletSpiderman
geoff998rugby
kiakahaaotearoa
Barney McGrew did it
Cyril
sirBiggles
37 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

WHEN Wales are crowned 2013 6 Nations Champions - Page 3 Empty WHEN Wales are crowned 2013 6 Nations Champions

Post by sirBiggles Fri 15 Feb 2013, 1:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

...and YES I did say WHEN (not IF), how many of you will start accepting that the current Welsh team are on the "top" table of World Rugby instead of the sniping, churlish unfounded comments we usually get attacking Welsh rugby.

We all know the comments I refer to (and on whole the posters), who constantly say that the 3 Grand Slams where undervalued.

Will we get those who put England on a higher plane than Wales due to a World Cup, ten years ago, realise that the World Cup has as much bearing on the current side, as the 70's Welsh success has on today Welsh players.

Can we at least accept, that the 2013 6 Nations is an open and close competition, so much so, that whoever lifts that trophy on the final day, the team earned it in a very tight competition (of course it will be Wales...).

I just wonder how many of you can stomach a strong Welsh side, or do you hate it, as it highlights your own weaknesses....

----------------------
And rather than pick up on my "WHEN Wales ... " win. Lets try and stay away from the mud throwing, calling me arrogant, deluded, drunk, looking thourgh red specs, etc... I'm being no more than anyone else on this board, and bigging up my team, in the same way others have/do.

So before I get called, an arrogant, ignorant, deluded school kid, who knows nothing about rugby. You will see, on other threads, I have put my predictions based on so called wisdom, experience and knowledge.... This is my turn, at bigging up the Welsh team and shouting how good they are. I do this from the heart and a proud and devoted Welshman who wants and prays for a Welsh win everytime.... No different to the rest of you... Thanks...

Last edited by sirBiggles on Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

WHEN Wales are crowned 2013 6 Nations Champions - Page 3 Empty Re: WHEN Wales are crowned 2013 6 Nations Champions

Post by Casartelli Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:41 am

fa0019 wrote:Wales' last 3 games have been against Scotland, France and Italy. With all respect to Scotland and Italy... they are the 2 weakest teams in the 6N by a long way, with additionally the worst attacking prowess.

France, well I think we are all in agreement that they have for the entire championship tried to continually commit suicide by playing near all their players completely out of position etc.

Not saying that Wales' defence is weak, but I think boasts about strength should be taken with a pinch of salt. Until the end of the ENG game, unproven.

clap

Most astute post I've ever read on 606v2

We haven't been tested since the first half against Ireland - when we got obliterated. France should have been a good measure of where we are now, but they insisted on doing the eccentric selection thing. Even then, we were getting smashed in contact (e.g. Dusautoir on Coombs).

Scotland looked like they had nothing left after the Ireland game and Italy without Parisse is a rudderless ship. We're still, essentially, the same outfit, playing the same way, that lost to Argentina, Samoa and Ireland. At home.

The England game will be the definitive test of whether Bishbosh can work against a physically strong team. Bearing in mind the ABs got drawn into an arm-wrestle with them and came up short.

Until then, all this non-specific pubtalk of so-and-so 'looking good' and 'not done anything wrong' or 'stepped up to the mark' or 'putting a hand up for the Lions' is meaningless. We haven't played any top level opposition since the first half of the opening game.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

WHEN Wales are crowned 2013 6 Nations Champions - Page 3 Empty Re: WHEN Wales are crowned 2013 6 Nations Champions

Post by nganboy Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:45 am

That's right Fa.
The three tries scored by Scotland against the AB's last year said nothing about the AB's defence or the Scottish attack.
The three tries scored by England against the AB's last year also said nothing about the AB's defence or the English attack.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:58 am

nganboy

Surely you can see the difference?

Why is it when ABs play a team ranked say 6-12 they sometimes leak more tries then against a team ranked 1-6?

Its because when they're ahead/confident about dominating sides etc they will be more relaxed about opening up they sometimes leak tries... i.e. Visser's opening try in the AIs. So they've leaked 2 tries, but scored 7. Big deal.

When they play better sides they tighten up their defence but lose a little attacking strength. May only score 2-3 themselves though.

Scotland scored 3 tries vs. NZ in 2012. That hadn't happened to NZ in 18 matches prior. During that time they played AUS 4 times. Are Scotland a better attacking unit then AUS? Of course not.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:07 pm

Breadvan wrote:Yes but.....Dutys rants ARE A JOKE! It happens every year. Quoting famous people etc. Hardly something to be taken seriously. Your argument would be valid if Wales hadn't lost all those games, have a hapless coaching team who speak in cliche's and are blatantly not playing well. Eh, maybe it'll all change come tomorrow...

Ahem. I can assure you that they are not.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:36 am

Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land hear the battle cry
Nothing else can be heard in the cold Cardiff sky
Good pass, fine kick, bring him to the ground
Loudly shout the English fans, while their players astound
Another score is what we need to seal the Welsh demise
Need to get just one more to make the crowd rise
Done it, there it is, a score that can’t be caught

And then the referee blows up to give the teams a break
Rest and physio is now what’s needed for those limbs that ache
England 20 Wales 6, is the first half score

Waaales, Waaales the second half cry booms
All the English sing Swing Low as their team can't lose
Now the hour has cometh, for the young Halfpenny
Keep it calm, keep your cool, just keep kicking penalties
England has no worries the ball is with our Farrel
Run pass, swerve, dive, there’s Cuthbert’s decisive score
Suddenly things look different to the games before

Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land the crowd chant to no avail
Not today, not this year, a clear 8 point win for Wales
Done it again this year and England's chariot up for Sale.

Wales rose

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:00 am

fa0019 wrote:Rainbow... well England are a far better team then Italy or Scotland... so yes.

Against Ireland who are a top attacking side they struggled defensively. England are in the same category.

Basing a tier 1 sides attacking or defensive prowess against Scotland and Italy is not the yardstick to adhere to in rugby.... and it hasn't been for 20 years.

You think england are a yardstick to judge your team by? Do me a favour, they ain't done nothing since their lucky WC win in 03. You are not FAR better than Italy as the farce proved on the weekend. When we beat you this weekend it will be a win and will stuff you up for another year, other than that we will judge our ability against better countires in the future.

Oh an no Luckless it was not you, it was all the a(pathetic) Welsh here who can only complain and moan regardless of what the team does, it's disgusting and unwarranted.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:08 am

I don't see how asking for more than bish bash bosh is 'disgusting and unwarranted'. We have a cracking backline but we're not using it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:20 am

Use it or lose it... Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:23 am

What I'm saying is that there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'd like to see us use a knife rather than a mallet.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:28 am

A trusty old fishing knife I presume... or something more surgical?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:29 am

Well I've never actually skinned a cat, so I wouldn't know!

Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:36 am

fa0019 wrote:nganboy

Surely you can see the difference?

Why is it when ABs play a team ranked say 6-12 they sometimes leak more tries then against a team ranked 1-6?

Its because when they're ahead/confident about dominating sides etc they will be more relaxed about opening up they sometimes leak tries... i.e. Visser's opening try in the AIs. So they've leaked 2 tries, but scored 7. Big deal.

When they play better sides they tighten up their defence but lose a little attacking strength. May only score 2-3 themselves though.

Scotland scored 3 tries vs. NZ in 2012. That hadn't happened to NZ in 18 matches prior. During that time they played AUS 4 times. Are Scotland a better attacking unit then AUS? Of course not.

They must have been really relaxed at Twickenham last December then... They forgot to score the seven tries in reply to the ones they had conceded.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Sat 16 Mar 2013, 6:34 pm

sirBiggles wrote:...and YES I did say WHEN (not IF), how many of you will start accepting that the current Welsh team are on the "top" table of World Rugby instead of the sniping, churlish unfounded comments we usually get attacking Welsh rugby.

We all know the comments I refer to (and on whole the posters), who constantly say that the 3 Grand Slams where undervalued.

Will we get those who put England on a higher plane than Wales due to a World Cup, ten years ago, realise that the World Cup has as much bearing on the current side, as the 70's Welsh success has on today Welsh players.

Can we at least accept, that the 2013 6 Nations is an open and close competition, so much so, that whoever lifts that trophy on the final day, the team earned it in a very tight competition (of course it will be Wales...).

I just wonder how many of you can stomach a strong Welsh side, or do you hate it, as it highlights your own weaknesses....

----------------------
And rather than pick up on my "WHEN Wales ... " win. Lets try and stay away from the mud throwing, calling me arrogant, deluded, drunk, looking thourgh red specs, etc... I'm being no more than anyone else on this board, and bigging up my team, in the same way others have/do.

So before I get called, an arrogant, ignorant, deluded school kid, who knows nothing about rugby. You will see, on other threads, I have put my predictions based on so called wisdom, experience and knowledge.... This is my turn, at bigging up the Welsh team and shouting how good they are. I do this from the heart and a proud and devoted Welshman who wants and prays for a Welsh win everytime.... No different to the rest of you... Thanks...

So ignoring all the previous posts which berated me as a WUM, let's go back to the opening post.

WHEN Wales are crowned 2013 6 Nations Champions, will you accept Wales are a good side. Best in NH even....

Yahoo

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 16 Mar 2013, 6:46 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I think this post would be more fitting when and not if Wales are crowned 6N champions. Otherwise your post comes across as a foam-mouthed rant based on conjecture and pure speculation.

World rugby needs more than just a few teams able to compete at the top. If Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England, France or Italy are 6N champs and are able to sustain that level of performance against all teams, then that can only be a good thing for rugby.

Well done on beating France in Paris and breaking the run of defeats. That's good news for Wales and good for rugby in that if a team doesn't perform as they should, they should get beaten.

Try to see it from the perspective of people outside Wales and how your post comes across. Small man's syndrome comes to mind when reading this I'm afraid.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Yahoo Bit bigger now aye hahahahaha
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:09 pm

I congratulate Wales on their win. What irked me about the post was the manner in which it was written. I have no problem with someone who has self belief in their team. If the post had been I believe Wales can still win this tournament then I wouldn't have had any problem. But to state that when Wales are crowned 6N champions they will be at the top table of world rugby is a little premature. As Brian Moore commented, Wales need to kick on from this achievement and start beating the SH teams.

Wales turned the tide in Paris and have come out on top today winning that rare thing in the 6N: a back to back 6N. I am happy to be among the first to applaud that achievement. They showed remarkable character to turn around 8 consecutive defeats I think. They are fitting champions and should be proud of that achievement. Now they have to focus on footing it with the big three in the SH if they are to reach that top table the OP mentioned.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:13 pm

Yes I was the same. When you see these as a neutral you start wanting the other side to win.But that was a fantastic win by one side who defintely wanted it most and to score two tries of that quality restores my faith in the NH game. England were clearly complacent although they will never admit it. Passion, momentum, skill, finishing were all with Wales today.

Faaannnnntttaaaassssttttiiiiccc!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:19 pm

I must admit before the tournament started, i thought that Wales would be fighting to avoid the WOODEN SPOON. But i would like to congratulate Wales on the win today. They (Wales) was the better team in the second half especialy.

By the way i would like to say that i have no complaints what so ever about Steve Walsh the referree.

Once again Well played Wales.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm

I wouldn't say we were ever likely to be wooden spoon contenders Madge, but I know what you're basing your opinion on (from off the back of our poor run of results).

Do you regret (a little) your banter, calling us a tier three side and that now?

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yes I was the same. When you see these as a neutral you start wanting the other side to win.But that was a fantastic win by one side who defintely wanted it most and to score two tries of that quality restores my faith in the NH game. England were clearly complacent although they will never admit it. Passion, momentum, skill, finishing were all with Wales today.

Faaannnnntttaaaassssttttiiiiccc!

NZ supporters make a hobby out of this sort of thing. Anyway what's the difference between this thread and the 'england road to the Grand Slam 2013' thread, none. Anyway I don't give a stuff, we did our talking on the field of play..... 360 minutes played and no one could score a try.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

Make a hobby out of what? There's no difference between this thread and the England road to the Grand Slam thread. Find me the threads from the Kiwi supporters to the road to a 2012 4N whitewash. Find me the threads AFTER the event of Choke on that or How do you like them apples when we go through unbeaten. There's nothing wrong with getting behind the team and having belief in them but there is a way of expressing that support.

There are Wally WUMs from every country. You're right to be proud of your team's achievements. It's a great achievement to come back from all those narrow losses against Australia and notably the Ireland defeat. Soak up the victory and enjoy this moment because it's well deserved. Ale

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:16 pm

It says a lot for people to rise above the debris from the wumming over the past week or two and be graceful in winning and losing. Haven't seen that much wumming yet in the aftermath which is always nice, though a couple of the usual names have been responsible for the little bit we've had so far.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:42 am

No need to wum because facts are facts #champions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:50 am

Congrats Wales you were the best team this 6 nations but why oh why can't you approach and play every game like that?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 17 Mar 2013, 10:22 am

Well done Wales clap you blew England away in the end.
Best in NH ? well yes of course Wales have now proven that in this extraordinary finale last night.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 10:23 am

Seriously sore head this morning appletini can't stop grinning.Happy days.

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:52 am

And I am left with a seriously sore broken heart.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:53 am

VictorU3 wrote:Congrats Wales you were the best team this 6 nations but why oh why can't you approach and play every game like that?

Because we don't play England at home every game, with the added incentive of ruining a grand slam occasion for them. Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:01 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I must admit before the tournament started, i thought that Wales would be fighting to avoid the WOODEN SPOON. But i would like to congratulate Wales on the win today. They (Wales) was the better team in the second half especialy.

By the way i would like to say that i have no complaints what so ever about Steve Walsh the referree.

Once again Well played Wales.
You thought Wales would be wooden spooners is no surprise madge due to your being pretty clueless, you tipped Wales to win the Triple crown last week Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3