The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Squad for Murrayfield- Kidneys Toughest Moments?

+50
Feckless Rogue
SecretFly
sams
Pete330v2
Don Alfonso
RubyGuby
Mickado
t1000advancedprototype
RuggerRadge2611
westisbest
dw7
maestegmafia
BelfastDickVet
clivemcl
captain carrantuohil
Captain_Sensible
profitius
Submachine
Standulstermen
the-goon
mankiaow
geoff998rugby
The Boss
red_stag
neilthom7
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Hookers Armpit
Artful_Dodger
asoreleftshoulder
Solid8
Hookisms and Hyperbole
George Carlin
MrsP
funnyExiledScot
Sin é
alive555
whocares
UlstermaninGlasgow
dublin_dave
GunsGerms
fa0019
The Great Aukster
Golden
Rory_Gallagher
LeinsterFan4life
JmD
valjester
rodders
LondonTiger
Notch
54 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Ireland Squad for Murrayfield- Kidneys Toughest Moments? - Page 3 Empty Ireland Squad for Murrayfield- Kidneys Toughest Moments?

Post by Notch Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

29 man squad for the visit to Scotland.

Ireland Squad - Backs: Rob Kearney (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Fergus McFadden (Leinster), Craig Gilroy (Ulster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Keith Earls (Munster), Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster), Darren Cave (Ulster), Luke Marshall (Ulster), Ronan O'Gara (Munster), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Conor Murray (Munster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster)

Forwards: Rory Best (Ulster), Seán Cronin (Leinster), Tom Court (Ulster), David Kilcoyne (Munster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Declan Fitzpatrick (Ulster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster), Lewis Stevenson (Ulster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Peter O'Mahony (Munster), James Coughlan (Munster), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Seán O'Brien (Leinster), Chris Henry (Ulster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster).

Some weeks are from hell.

For Declan Kidney, when he's done, he might just look back on this week as one of the toughest he's faced since taking over the Ireland job. The discussion, analysis and bickering will take place below but I want to frame it by saying I do not envy him one bit. Indeed, I feel sorry for him when I think of the calls he must make. Let us hope necessity is the mother of invention- and that the character of the 15 men on the pitch is enough to carry us over the line.

Ireland Abú. G'wan Ireland.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ireland Squad for Murrayfield- Kidneys Toughest Moments? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland Squad for Murrayfield- Kidneys Toughest Moments?

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Not great seeing Quinny and Sheehan supporting ROG the way they did on Against the Head.

"He needs to have a pack on the front foot." used as an excuse. Ekk

Back to top Go down

Ireland Squad for Murrayfield- Kidneys Toughest Moments? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland Squad for Murrayfield- Kidneys Toughest Moments?

Post by valjester Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:01 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Notch wrote:Would someone please post a good rationale of why Jackson or Madigan should start for Sin so he'll change his mind? Whistle

Tag me in Notch!

So what are Scottish strengths? Their lineout is obviously quite good (as Best mentioned late last week) and they also have one of the best back3's in the tournament for the first time in decades.

So what are the Scottish weaknesses? Their midfield is pretty poor and their defence is relatively passive.

So obviously we want to stay away from their strengths and try and exploit their weaknesses yes? That would sound like sense right?

So ROG looks like he will start and his strengths (such as they are) are mainly around using his right foot. Is that a good idea however? Surely a kick is either going in to touch or not, so either to a strong lineout where we will probably not steal much ball or we will give it to a back 3 who are kicking it quite far and also running it back pretty well.
What about defensively? Well Rog is a weakness here especially as our options at 12 are poor unless BOD moves in, a new cap (Marshall) can not be expected to baby sit the 130cap man and ROG-Earls-BOD does not have the muscle to hold out many teams physically.
Rog will kick the goals though won't he and make the right decisions? Kick the goals yeah probably but make the right decisions? He hasn't demonstrated that ability for quite some time in all fairness. We can all remember those silly kicks in the Puma game or the poor decisions versus Wales last year which helped Wales back in to the match.

Jackson or Madigan will attack the gainline more and try to exploit that weakness in the Scottish midfield. Multiphase play will be really tough for Scotland to defend against and Jackson and Madigan can inject pace, variety and a running threat to keep Scotland on the back foot either conceding penalties or large sections of yards.
Defensively they are both much sounder than Rog but probably don't have that tactical kicking game (definitely do not). Maybe they lack that experience? Will they make bad decisions? They may well and they may well not. Will they kick all their goals? Probably not but will ROG.

Finally, one question, what was the last game ROG played well in?

Ospreys in the Heineken Cup Quarter final in 2009.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:12 pm

We all give George Hook a hard time but he did say something Saturday night after the Munster game that was true he said Earls has been capped 32 times (not sure on the number) he was not a Centre before he was capped and he is not a centre now playing him there is ridiculous. Give george his due's he is right

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:15 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Notch wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Notch wrote:Shoite! Chris Henry out injured for four weeks. Dave McSharry also injured. Tommy O'Donnell and Ian Madigan called up.

Chris Henry getting injured is manageable for Ireland, for Ulster its a big problem. Ulster have had plenty of injuries in the backrow.
Why has Madigan been called in? he has never played 12...

Who knows where he'll be asked to slot in. Madigan won't make the matchday squad but I still can't wait for whatever it is Kidney has cooked up for us this week. It'll either be incredibly predictable or a bit mad.
It makes no sense. Why not call up JJ or Keatley or someone else who actually has played 12. This cripples Leinster for no reason. I wouldn't mind if he was called up and he made the bench, but Leinster have a really important game this week and for him to miss it to hold tackle bags would just make no sense.

Interesting Notch got destroyed on here a few weeks ago for posting a similar view on some Ulster players

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Not great seeing Quinny and Sheehan supporting ROG the way they did on Against the Head.

They played with him. They have a bond. They're not going to throw him to the wolves in the media.

It's one of the reasons ex-players sometimes make bad pundits.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 pm

neilthom7 wrote:Interesting Notch got destroyed on here a few weeks ago for posting a similar view on some Ulster players

Probably that criticism was fair enough.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Notch wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Not great seeing Quinny and Sheehan supporting ROG the way they did on Against the Head.

They played with him. They have a bond. They're not going to throw him to the wolves in the media.

Shaggy was the same, but him and Quinlan I can forgive because they make good points as well. Frankie should not be employed in the media, it is a disgrace that is paid to comment on players he represents.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:42 pm

My bug bearers are:

Tony Ward
Donal Lenihan (never a more clueless man)
George Hook (for obvious reasons)
Frankie Sheehan

The best ones on Irish TV I think:

That lad on BBC NI (he is absolutely gas!)
Conor O'Shea
Shaggy
Quinny
Shane Byrne

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 pm

neilthom7 wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Notch wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Notch wrote:Shoite! Chris Henry out injured for four weeks. Dave McSharry also injured. Tommy O'Donnell and Ian Madigan called up.

Chris Henry getting injured is manageable for Ireland, for Ulster its a big problem. Ulster have had plenty of injuries in the backrow.
Why has Madigan been called in? he has never played 12...

Who knows where he'll be asked to slot in. Madigan won't make the matchday squad but I still can't wait for whatever it is Kidney has cooked up for us this week. It'll either be incredibly predictable or a bit mad.
It makes no sense. Why not call up JJ or Keatley or someone else who actually has played 12. This cripples Leinster for no reason. I wouldn't mind if he was called up and he made the bench, but Leinster have a really important game this week and for him to miss it to hold tackle bags would just make no sense.

Interesting Notch got destroyed on here a few weeks ago for posting a similar view on some Ulster players
If he is called up as a back up fly half even if its third choice, then I'm ok with that and he deserves the call up. If its as a backup 12, thats where I have the problem.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:51 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:My bug bearers are:

Tony Ward
Frankie Sheehan

Conor O'Shea
Shaggy
Quinny
Shane Byrne

Brendan Fanning has been excellent at covering rugby for the past year or so. Its as if he has decided he doesn't give a s**t and is just speaking his mind, not allowing concerns about p**sing people off. I know he is more print, and radio than tv

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm

L4L is right in a way though. Calling him up to line up at 12 holding the tacklebags is crazy stuff. But also, someone has to do it. It's just like 2007 RWC.

Fanning has come out with some great stuff. Everything comes out sooner or later.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Notch wrote:L4L is right in a way though. Calling him up to line up at 12 holding the tacklebags is crazy stuff. But also, someone has to do it. It's just like 2007 RWC.

Fanning has come out with some great stuff. Everything comes out sooner or later.

The only brightside in Madigan being lined up at 12 would be that it probably means Marshall will start at 12, because surely if we were going for a Earls BOD partnership, there would be no need for Madigan holding bags at 12. But that is a big leap.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Why is it such a bad idea. We've seen Sexton play 12 for Ireland on several occasions (our victories over England (2011), Australia (2011), Italy (2012) all come to mind).

Why could Madigan not be used in a similar way? We have a huge gaping hole when it comes to inside centre. Darcy is injured, McSharry is injured, Marshall may not even be fit (he went off in first half of Ulster game with injury).

He may very well be needed at 12.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 pm

red_stag wrote:Why is it such a bad idea. We've seen Sexton play 12 for Ireland on several occasions (our victories over England (2011), Australia (2011), Italy (2012) all come to mind).

Why could Madigan not be used in a similar way? We have a huge gaping hole when it comes to inside centre. Darcy is injured, McSharry is injured, Marshall may not even be fit (he went off in first half of Ulster game with injury).

Madigan has shown no indications that he is capable of playing there. Sexton has covered there in matches, but I'm sure most people aren't entirely happy when that happens. Sexton is also a bit bigger than Madigan, but really I think most people would prefer Fitz,or even Jackson, to cover 12 instead, both already have experience playing in the position.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm

valjester wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:My bug bearers are:

Tony Ward
Frankie Sheehan

Conor O'Shea
Shaggy
Quinny
Shane Byrne

Brendan Fanning has been excellent at covering rugby for the past year or so. Its as if he has decided he doesn't give a s**t and is just speaking his mind, not allowing concerns about p**sing people off. I know he is more print, and radio than tv

Fanning's conspiracy theories are really good, I'll give him that one (his latest is that ROG & Kidney are not getting on)!

I'd say the exact opposite about him not being concerned with p**ing people off. He plays to a particular audience that most other journalists won't do. (i.e., he likes to sells newspapers / get hits on his articles on the web and he is not too fussy about how he does it).

Having worked with some of the people who work for the Indo - lets just say their 'journalistic' standards would not be that high.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 pm

valjester wrote:
red_stag wrote:Why is it such a bad idea. We've seen Sexton play 12 for Ireland on several occasions (our victories over England (2011), Australia (2011), Italy (2012) all come to mind).

Madigan has shown no indications that he is capable of playing there. Sexton has covered there in matches, but I'm sure most people aren't entirely happy when that happens. Sexton is also a bit bigger than Madigan, but really I think most people would prefer Fitz,or even Jackson, to cover 12 instead, both already have experience playing in the position.

Who are these 'people' who don't want Sexton to play 12. Even Dan Carter does it and no one complained. Maybe some players need a little lesson in putting the team first.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Shaggy & Emmet Byrne quiet good on Off the Ball tonight (they actually give reasons other than ROG is Poopie)

Both would start ROG at 10.

Brendan Fanning gives the impress that he might go with Madigan/Jackson (though in fairness he hasn't nailed his colours to the mast).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 pm

valjester wrote:
Notch wrote:

Shaggy was the same, but him and Quinlan I can forgive because they make good points as well. Frankie should not be employed in the media, it is a disgrace that is paid to comment on players he represents.

Who was Frankie talking about tonight that he represents?

Nice interview by Quinny with David Humphreys about Ulster (well, it was more like an appeal to Monaghan, Cavan & Donegal to come play rugby with Ulster).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:40 pm

Sin é wrote:
valjester wrote:
Notch wrote:

Who was Frankie talking about tonight that he represents?

Nice interview by Quinny with David Humphreys about Ulster(well, it was more like an appeal to Monaghan, Cavan & Donegal to come play rugby with Ulster).

"(well, it was more like an appeal to Monaghan, Cavan & Donegal to come play rugby with Ulster)." laughing Issue's...

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:44 pm

I am confused but I am pretty sure they do play rugby with Ulster there is this guy who plays for Ulster for example whos from Monaghan. Whats this you call him Bowe or summit

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:48 pm

neilthom7 wrote:I am confused but I am pretty sure they do play rugby with Ulster there is this guy who plays for Ulster for example whos from Monaghan. Whats this you call him Bowe or summit
also Declan Fitzpatrick is from Cavan isn't he?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 pm

I think the issue in Ulster is that for all the inroads rugby has made in the west of the province, only Dungannon have seen any difference, and they're one of the old boys of the Ulster Branch.

Donegal has 4 clubs now attached to the Ulster branch, and places like Virginia RFC, Cavan Town, Monaghan Town and Clogher Valley will grow but the culture still isn't all there to allow rugby to flourish.

I was lucky in that at Dungannon, the RSD boys weren't allowed to play for the club at underage level, so the boys from the Integrated, St Pats Academy and the local High School represented the club at underage. We spent a lot of time going all over Ulster and made trips to nearly every club in the province. But the biggest problem still lies with the over-reliance on the school system in Ulster.

But if they could tap into the talent in Donegal, there could be boys like Michael Murphy waiting to be picked up by Ulster and turned into the next star... But it won't happen while the Schools Cup is as powerful as it is at underage level!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 am

Walked into work today and the 1st person I saw was Rory Best. Was actally speechless.

Looking forward to seeing what team is announced. As has already been said it'll either be the expected and predictable 15 or it'll be the most shocking 23 of the Kidney era forced upon us by injury. Big calls are around 10 and 12 and the only thing I wouldn't wanna see is. ROG-Earls-Bod combo.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:06 am

UIG, I've started to notice more and more GAA players in Armagh starting to play Rugby. 2 senior players on our team have joined the nearest rugby club and I was meant to be joining myself only for being injured again. This shift can only be a good thing for Ulster rugby and will work in the favour of the GAA clubs themselves with rugby being played in the off-season.

Further cultural changes will probably have to evolve in the province but it seems to be going in the right direction.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 am

Oh I know what you mean Boss, there is history of boys from the Clarkes in Dungannon and Edendork playing for Dungannon RFC, in fact a few lads went the other way as well (Andrew Hughes played for the Clarkes while at Dungannon). I think currently there's one or two boys who play for the 1sts/2nds who are senior footballers.

I played both myself and used to do it here in Glasgow, although sticking to the rugby for now. It was always recommended by my old PE teacher as a great way for the gaelic lads to stay fit!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 am

Ye mate I've heard a bit of there being more cross-over between the 2 sports in Tyrone and its starting to catch on in Armagh, well, in north Armagh anyway and it can only be a good thing for both. I'd love to have started with a club but being injured for the full of last year I didn't think it would be the smartest time to throw myself into rugby instead of the GAA pre-season.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 am

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:
But if they could tap into the talent in Donegal, there could be boys like Michael Murphy waiting to be picked up by Ulster and turned into the next star... But it won't happen while the Schools Cup is as powerful as it is at underage level!

Ulster rugby and sport NI have been running a coaching program in the NW of which Letterkenny is one of the clubs to take part. The coaches have been working with the likes of Brian McLaughlin to improve their coaching and talent idenfication skills to help produce elite players, Strabane is one of the other clubs I think....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:17 am

Ryan has not trained all week - he is not certain to start.

So Jackson has definitely made the 23 then

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 am

neilthom7 wrote:I am confused but I am pretty sure they do play rugby with Ulster there is this guy who plays for Ulster for example whos from Monaghan. Whats this you call him Bowe or summit

Humphreys made the point that they want more Tommy Bowes. Think the piece was aimed particularly at the 3 counties of Ulster that are in the ROI and would be watching RTE.

You can watch it here:

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10111233/
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:53 am

Personally, Id like to see more guys from Connacht, Munster and Leinster playing for Ulster too. Doesnt happen very often but there are definitely some young players in the past that got no game time that could have done well in Ulster.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Good to see Ian Madigan getting drafted into the squad.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:05 pm

I was firmly in the no more Rog camp up until this week but I had a feeling as the game got closer I would start to waver. And so it has come to pass.

The fact that there is a such a lack of international experience with the alternatives(why, is a debate for another day) plus the uncertainty of form, added to heading to Murrayfield, where Scotland will throw the kitchen sink at us, is to blame.

Or maybe I'm just getting old!

The Welsh seemed to have a similar problem with Stephen Jones. It's hard to say goodbye.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:10 pm

mankiaow wrote:I was firmly in the no more Rog camp up until this week but I had a feeling as the game got closer I would start to waver. And so it has come to pass.

The fact that there is a such a lack of international experience with the alternatives(why, is a debate for another day) plus the uncertainty of form, added to heading to Murrayfield, where Scotland will throw the kitchen sink at us, is to blame.

The Welsh seemed to have a similar problem with Stephen Jones. It's hard to say goodbye.
How are they going to get international experience if they are never played?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
mankiaow wrote:I was firmly in the no more Rog camp up until this week but I had a feeling as the game got closer I would start to waver. And so it has come to pass.

How are they going to get international experience if they are never played?

Agreed, but as I mentioned, personally I'm getting cold feet about any of them. Although I'm not happy about it. I feel it in my waters.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 pm

We had a similar issue with Dan Parks. He was so awful in his last game for us though that he promptly retired after the game. I don't think even he felt he should have been selected.

You never know, perhaps history may repeat itself with ROG.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:28 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:We had a similar issue with Dan Parks. He was so awful in his last game for us though that he promptly retired after the game. I don't think even he felt he should have been selected.

You never know, perhaps history may repeat itself with ROG.....

He should be put out to grass after the 6n. There are some lovely green fields down Cork way.

In the current situation though, we could be glad he's still around. But you're right, it could all come crashing down.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Anyone read Goebbels Thornley's newest piece in the IT today... picard

And FES, we all wish Radge had retired when he wanted to. He wanted to go in 2011, but got asked to stay on by Kidney. The fact he was on a central contract didn't help much either.

But with his contract being up in the summer and it looking more and more like he can't take the pace of the game anymore, maybe he will go gracefully into the night after this 6N... And I for one will not begrudge him anything. He's been one of our greatest players of the Pro era, his name will be mentioned with Jack Kyle, Mike Gibson, BOD and POC as the greats of Irish Rugby.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Ireland should be building for the 2015 RWC. They have injuries galore and won't win this year's 6N, even the Triple Crown is gone. There is really no better time to expose young guys to Test rugby who are in for injury and the expectation on them is low.
Kidney really should have the buoyant Madigan on the bench rather than a limping Jackson, for the good of both players (but he won't).

Deccie will start ROG, but only as a foil to introduce Jackson from the bench. It is cruel of Kidney to keep humiliating ROG who is no more than a shadow of his former self, but starting him takes all the pressure off the new man.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Conor George got some impartial input in his weekly column defending kidney

Mick Galway LOL.

I will personally judge Kidney on his 4 year term and the end result of this years 6 nations. I fear we will finish 3rd place at best. Not buying injuries as an excuse either.

He has had ample time to blood understudies for Sexton,Darcy etc.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Letterkenny are the fastest growing club in Ulster.

Kieran Campbell's family hail from Donegal as well and Fitzpatrick's family are indeed from Cavan (as far as I know he is the only one in the extended family NOT born in Cavan)

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:18 pm

When will the 23 be named?

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Rog on the bench apparently, and Marshall at 12, with Court at loosehead.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:30 pm

the-goon wrote:When will the 23 be named?

Tomorrow usually around 1 or 1.30 the announcement will be on the irish rugby website live

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Team in full according to another forum.

Court Best Ross
Ryan Doc
POM Heaslip SOB
Murray Jackson
Marshall BOD
Earls Kearney Gilroy

Kilcoyne Cronin Fitzpatrick Toner Henderson Reddan ROG Fitzgerald

THe guy is usually right, and from other people I've talked to I'm fairly certain on Marshall and Court.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Gotta say id be delighted with that. Cant wait to see Marshall at international level. good to see Jackson too, would have preferred Madigan but as long as its not ROG.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Golden wrote:Gotta say id be delighted with that. Cant wait to see Marshall at international level. good to see Jackson too, would have preferred Madigan but as long as its not ROG.

The only thing I would be worried about in that selection is Toner, especially as Ryan is apparently struggling with back spasms.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Tell you what if that is the team I'll give Deccie his dues he has just gone for it there bringing in the guys who are in form instead of relying on what he knows. Fair play. clap

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Yeah read that on PR val but I just can't get my head round him nit selecting ROG. Hope that is the team though. interesting that court would be parachuted in above Kilcoyne.

We must really be going after their front row given that Murray won't be playing. I can understand the calls for madigan but to be honest if you had told me we would have seen a back line like that in this years 6N I would have been delighted, excited and dumbstruck in equal measure. I hope we actually build on it and give these (or at least different) young guys a chance moving forward.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I can't see McFadden been left out if Jackson is starting (for his kicking). Starting Court ahead of Kilcoyne would be logical to add a bit of experience. Wouldn't be surprised if Toner was used (because of his height in the lineout).

The Scottish lineout isn't that great - it just looks good because POC seems to be the only one who challenges their throws.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Maybe Declan thinks Tom Courts extra edge in the scrum is what we need to make sure we get go forwrad ball and a solid base there so our halfbacks and midfield isn't put under as much pressure.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next