The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roger Draper To Step Down In September

5 posters

Go down

Roger Draper To Step Down In September Empty Roger Draper To Step Down In September

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar - 18:34

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Roger Draper To Step Down In September Empty Re: Roger Draper To Step Down In September

Post by User 774433 Wed 13 Mar - 18:35

I heard he's in the running for Chelsea manager role for next season.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Roger Draper To Step Down In September Empty Re: Roger Draper To Step Down In September

Post by Cogen Wed 13 Mar - 18:44

Brilliant news!

Unfortunately they were just speaking to Mark Petchey on Sky Sports and he said he won't be putting his name forward for the role. Really hope they get someone in who shares his views on grass roots tennis.

We need more free outdoor courts, far more indoor courts available at cheaper prices etc. We need people to play all year round. The more families playing tennis the bigger pool of talent we have to draw from in the future.

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar - 18:48

I really hope that they bring someone in who knows how to run the organisation as a business based on results.

I hope they can bring in David Lloyd and Henman. These 2 above many know where the problems are in the system and what can be put in place that is cost effective but also has the efficiencies to grow talent within youngsters.

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 13 Mar - 19:03

Yahoo

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 13 Mar - 19:39

Cowan is critical of the LTA, Draper:
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/8563002/cowan-on-draper-resignation

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 13 Mar - 19:46

Red wrote:I heard he's in the running for Chelsea manager role for next season.

Only for the first 3 months of the season.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar - 20:25

Red wrote:Cowan is critical of the LTA, Draper:
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/8563002/cowan-on-draper-resignation

But then Cowan is a sack of crap as a commentator.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar - 20:40

Cowan suggesting Clive Woodward. Clearly doesn't remember the job he did at Southampton!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 13 Mar - 20:54

WTF does Woodward know about tennis or huge institutions?
It needs a tennis guy, someone who knows what it takes to get to the top.
David Lloyd stands out, Henman doesn't have the management or corporate skills but could have an advisory role into Lloyd.
But where do I start with what's wrong with the LTA....almost everything is wrong about it from wasted funding to lack of good indoor and outdoor courts to London-centric hierarchy to elitism to lack of performance centres to too much group coaching for performance players to lack of focus 12+ to rewarding failure to......
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar - 21:03

That is what I was thinking lydian. Have Lloyd run the business and operational side of things and let Henman take care of the coaching in an advisory position in a bid to ensure that youngsters have the right coaches and facilities to continue progress.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar - 21:04

I found the stat of 300 members of staff in the LTA and the wage bill being £15M!!! If that isn't criminal I don't know what is!

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 14 Mar - 7:57

This is interesting. I like the idea of an advisory board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21779687

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Mar - 8:26

But seriously Judy Murray like he is suggesting? It made interesting reading till he mentioned Murray.

I thought Andrew Castle putting Pierre-Yves Gerbeau forward was a good shout. Certainly has an impressive CV.

For me the LTA needs to reflect a business model. Get as many sponsors on board to provide free and affordable equipment and facilities at grass route level. Abolish the target setting mantra that existed with that baffoon Draper. Concentrate on participation numbers. That is the key before they can target set beyond that looking at conversion rates from junior to pro and then expand beyond that. I like the de-centralised model for the LTA. Have counties acting as separate entities and even reward them on a Pbr basis. It needs a fresh injection of change to stimulate growth in participation and investment.

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 14 Mar - 8:42

legendkillarV2 wrote:But seriously Judy Murray like he is suggesting? It made interesting reading till he mentioned Murray.

I thought Andrew Castle putting Pierre-Yves Gerbeau forward was a good shout. Certainly has an impressive CV.

For me the LTA needs to reflect a business model. Get as many sponsors on board to provide free and affordable equipment and facilities at grass route level. Abolish the target setting mantra that existed with that baffoon Draper. Concentrate on participation numbers. That is the key before they can target set beyond that looking at conversion rates from junior to pro and then expand beyond that. I like the de-centralised model for the LTA. Have counties acting as separate entities and even reward them on a Pbr basis. It needs a fresh injection of change to stimulate growth in participation and investment.

I think they will find it difficult to find one person that embodies everything they need so having a strong business mind in position backed by an advisory board of people who know about tennis such as D. Lloyd, Petchey, Judy Murray et al. may be the way forward. Basically whoever does it will have to listen to the people who know a lot about tennis but also be able to translate that into a successful business.

Have just googled Gerbeau and agree he could be good.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Mar - 8:46

carrieg4 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:But seriously Judy Murray like he is suggesting? It made interesting reading till he mentioned Murray.

I think they will find it difficult to find one person that embodies everything they need so having a strong business mind in position backed by an advisory board of people who know about tennis such as D. Lloyd, Petchey, Judy Murray et al. may be the way forward. Basically whoever does it will have to listen to the people who know a lot about tennis but also be able to translate that into a successful business.

Have just googled Gerbeau and agree he could be good.

I think that is why David Lloyd would be such a key appointment. Knowledge of tennis and also exposure to the world of business. It is certainly a start. I think get Henners on board too.

I did like Barry's comment "He has to be British" So the Rusedski grudge match continues Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 14 Mar - 8:52

Those two would be good LK. Happy with David Lloyd as long as he is the only Lloyd on board.............

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Mar - 9:09

carrieg4 wrote:Those two would be good LK. Happy with David Lloyd as long as he is the only Lloyd on board.............

I am sure John wouldn't leave the warm embrace he receives at the BBC Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 14 Mar - 12:03

John isn't a corporate animal like his brother, he's more a corporation animal - i.e. BBC. I don't particularly care if he's British or not, just needs to be able to recognise what needs to be done and then implement change.
I'm not sure Draper was all bad, some of the things implemented wont bear fruit for many years yet but we do need more money put into infrastructure, not just into the high level coaches and exec's pockets.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri 15 Mar - 8:00

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9931066/Andy-Murray-urges-Lawn-Tennis-Association-to-go-for-a-British-successor-to-chief-exceutive-Roger-Draper.html

This was interesting.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down