The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Glasgow reach the final and finish first....

+11
geoff998rugby
21st Century Schizoid Man
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
mckay1402
Pat_Mustard
Jenifer McLadyboy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Imperialbigdave
UlstermaninGlasgow
15 posters

Go down

If Glasgow reach the final and finish first.... Empty If Glasgow reach the final and finish first....

Post by 123456789 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

Under competition rule
3.7. The RaboDirect PRO12 Final is provisionally scheduled to take place on the weekend of 26/7th MAY. RaboDirect PRO12 will determine the venue for the RaboDirect PRO12 Final however the Team that finished highest in the league stage competing in the Final will be able to propose a venue within its own Union's jurisdiction (which may include the team's own ground) to host the RaboDirect PRO12 Final, provided that the venue meets certain commercial criteria and has capacity for a minimum of 18,000 spectators.

In which case Scotstoun would be ineligible, that would leave a choice of Murrayfield, Celtic Park, Ibrox, Hampden Park, Pittodrie or Easter Road, I think it would be unlikely that any stadium outside of Glasgow would be chosen except Murrayfield as it would be a waste of money. Ibrox and Celtic park are too big and I think that it would be best to avoid these venues as the rugby team should represent the whole of Glasgow and by choosing one it may alienate some, Murrayfield would we strange on the basis that it's Edinburgh's home stadium but it would be free of charge.

Back to top Go down

If Glasgow reach the final and finish first.... Empty Re: If Glasgow reach the final and finish first....

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:26 pm

Hampden would be the most sensible option, but when have the SRU ever been sensible. I've been told that in the case that Glasgow get a home final, it will be in Murrayfield.

The only other thing is whether to use this as a test event for the Commonwealth Games, which will have the 7's at Ibrox. Could be a good way of seeing if the pitch will adapt to rugby or not?!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

If Glasgow reach the final and finish first.... Empty Re: If Glasgow reach the final and finish first....

Post by 123456789 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:33 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Hampden would be the most sensible option, but when have the SRU ever been sensible. I've been told that in the case that Glasgow get a home final, it will be in Murrayfield.

The only other thing is whether to use this as a test event for the Commonwealth Games, which will have the 7's at Ibrox. Could be a good way of seeing if the pitch will adapt to rugby or not?!

If they reach the final then the match should be held in Glasgow as a reward to the fans and the players but also as an opportunity to create a large regular fanbase. It would also be helpful if they could create a partisan, vocal crowd to passionately support the team which they'd be more likely to get in Glasgow. Also if I were the SRU I'd be looking to play the semi-final in a larger stadium and offer a deal such as half-price tickets to the final if you buy a ticket to the semi.
It is massively important that the SRU use these sort of events to evoke a positive response from the city and attract a larger fanbase.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:49 pm

123456789 wrote:
UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Hampden would be the most sensible option, but when have the SRU ever been sensible. I've been told that in the case that Glasgow get a home final, it will be in Murrayfield.

If they reach the final then the match should be held in Glasgow as a reward to the fans and the players but also as an opportunity to create a large regular fanbase. It would also be helpful if they could create a partisan, vocal crowd to passionately support the team which they'd be more likely to get in Glasgow. Also if I were the SRU I'd be looking to play the semi-final in a larger stadium and offer a deal such as half-price tickets to the final if you buy a ticket to the semi.
It is massively important that the SRU use these sort of events to evoke a positive response from the city and attract a larger fanbase.

youve said it yourself earlier, Celtic park or Ibrox would not be the right venues as you would be seen to be associating with celtic or rangers, which wont "unite" the city behind the warriors. If its to be in Glasgow, which it obviously should, its Hampden or nothing.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm

What about converting the eponymous Rugby Park back to its original purpose? Bonnie Kilmarnock

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:49 pm

Hopefully it won't be an issue. Wink

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:25 pm

Hampden is hosting the Scottish Cup final that Sunday, and I doubt they would want a rugby match cutting the pitch up the day before!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:34 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:What about converting the eponymous Rugby Park back to its original purpose? Bonnie Kilmarnock

I was going to say exactly that. I'd go and see it.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:36 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:Hampden is hosting the Scottish Cup final that Sunday, and I doubt they would want a rugby match cutting the pitch up the day before!

In that case it would be sensible to use one of the Old firm stadiums for the semi and one for the final, after that the SRU should make it their priority that they fill the stadiums with Glasgow fans. i.e cheap tickets advertised around Glasgow, discounts for those who've bought tickets for matches this year, student tickets etc. It should be used to make a statement rather than just being a rugby match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm

I would hope a final would attract at least as big a crowd as Edinburgh's HC quarter, especially with probably a larger away support. So I would want one of the proper big stadiums, hopefully we could market that in such a way that we wouldn't be seen as siding with one or other of the old firm. Anyway Celtic fans must attend away games at Ibrox and vice versa, so hopefully they wouldn't be too averse to watching a rugby match at their rivals' ground?

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:53 pm

Murrayfield makes the most sense. It's closest to my flat.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:28 pm

To tell the truth, it'll be in Murrayfield. No where else makes sense, from a financial POV.

One other thing to consider is the 7's stands will more than likely still be up. Can't fully remember when they're to be taken down, but that could influence any decision as to whether to move from Scotstoun or not... If they have enough capacity, they may well keep it at Scotstoun!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:04 am

Cannot believe the suggestions that Killie should be used. I'm from Ayrshire and having passed my driving test in Kilmarnock can confirm that it largely remains a grade 1 toilet. It's not appropriate anyway. It's a Glasgow club and that's where the event should be.

We can't use Hampden for the reasons set out above but either Celtic Park or Ibrox would be wonderful venues.

There's a bigger picture point here too. John Beattie Snr wrote in his BB column some time ago that with football largely circling the drain in Scotland (and let's be frank, the gap internationally shows no signs of decreasing) the time is now to try and push rugby as being the nation's number 1 sport.

I have the same reservations as everyone else as to how likely that is to happen but the fact remains that Glasgow's club attendances remain relatively low for a city with three major universities, the RSA, the art school and a dozen other colleges. To host a major final or a semi-final would be a real chance to showcase the sport and hike up interest. We cannot lose the opportunity.

And we certainly cannot direct it to Rugby Park. Not with those chopped labrador bumhole and yak pizzle pies that they still have.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:53 am

George Carlin wrote:Cannot believe the suggestions that Killie should be used. I'm from Ayrshire and having passed my driving test in Kilmarnock can confirm that it largely remains a grade 1 toilet. It's not appropriate anyway. It's a Glasgow club and that's where the event should be.

We can't use Hampden for the reasons set out above but either Celtic Park or Ibrox would be wonderful venues.

There's a bigger picture point here too. John Beattie Snr wrote in his BB column some time ago that with football largely circling the drain in Scotland (and let's be frank, the gap internationally shows no signs of decreasing) the time is now to try and push rugby as being the nation's number 1 sport.

I have the same reservations as everyone else as to how likely that is to happen but the fact remains that Glasgow's club attendances remain relatively low for a city with three major universities, the RSA, the art school and a dozen other colleges. To host a major final or a semi-final would be a real chance to showcase the sport and hike up interest. We cannot lose the opportunity.

And we certainly cannot direct it to Rugby Park. Not with those chopped labrador bumhole and yak pizzle pies that they still have.

cake Delish, all washed down with a nice Bucky OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 25 Mar 2013, 7:08 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Cannot believe the suggestions that Killie should be used. I'm from Ayrshire and having passed my driving test in Kilmarnock can confirm that it largely remains a grade 1 toilet. It's not appropriate anyway. It's a Glasgow club and that's where the event should be.

The 2013 Chateau du Brendan Laney being a particularly fine vintage. Bubbly
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 25 Mar 2013, 2:59 pm

I'm sure Rangers would let you use Ibrox if Glasgow could cough up say £5.

They are completely skint and the rugby players chewing up the turf will only better prepare Rangers for the pitch at their next trip to Wick, Elgin or Peterhead.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:50 pm

George Carlin wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

The 2013 Chateau du Brendan Laney being a particularly fine vintage. Bubbly

You guys have taken that way too far laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:52 pm

Not sure the SRU could stretch to a fiver fES ? Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

I'm presuming that bucky is not buckfast tonic wine?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:19 pm

Jen, the very same, a favoured weegie tipple Whisky

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:45 am

I think a Semi final needs a minimum of 15000 as well

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:23 am

I for one would certainly attend whatever venue it is at, to lend my Vocal support for our soap dodging weagie bretheren.

What's good for Glasgow is good for Scottish Rugby. Wherever it is I'll be there.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:39 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:I think a Semi final needs a minimum of 15000 as well

At the minimum they'll have 15,000 as that's the minimum size of the 7's stadium. It depends on how big the temporary stands are at the 7's as to whether they'll be able to hold a home final.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 27 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I for one would certainly attend whatever venue it is at, to lend my Vocal support for our soap dodging weagie bretheren.

What's good for Glasgow is good for Scottish Rugby. Wherever it is I'll be there.

Good man Radge thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:33 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:I think a Semi final needs a minimum of 15000 as well

So basically bar the irish and ospreys, and i guess edinbugh, nobody can have a home semi, or final. Seems a bit harsh.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:37 pm

How big is the PYS?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:39 pm

12.5k or 14.5k not sure which.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:43 pm

They have to make money somehow Spider. The corporate bigwigs will want lots of freebies to these gigs so they have to make sure there's enough tickets for the actual rugby fans to go.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:58 pm

George Carlin wrote:Cannot believe the suggestions that Killie should be used. I'm from Ayrshire

My family all live in stewarton. Whereabouts are you from?

mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:01 pm

Pys=14870
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I for one would certainly attend whatever venue it is at, to lend my Vocal support for our soap dodging weagie bretheren.

Good man Radge thumbsup
Well said, fella.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 28 Mar 2013, 9:48 am

mckay1402 wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Cannot believe the suggestions that Killie should be used. I'm from Ayrshire

My family all live in stewarton. Whereabouts are you from?
Sorry, just picked this up. Troon.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 02 Apr 2013, 8:18 am

Aye but George, Troon is seriously upmarket Ayrshire like Largs and Alloway Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 02 Apr 2013, 8:52 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Aye but George, Troon is seriously upmarket Ayrshire like Largs and Alloway Shocked
Fact. I is totally posh, in fact. monkey
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 02 Apr 2013, 8:59 am

And here was I thinking you were ex-West End Massif too !!!! Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down