The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will you next support?

+15
Henman Bill
ryan86
Born Slippy
CaledonianCraig
banbrotam
yloponom68
The Special Juan
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
laverfan
HM Murdock
lydian
bogbrush
YvonneT
LuvSports!
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who will you next support? Empty Who will you next support?

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar - 12:38

Stephen Colbert once said when hosting the emmy's in his introduction speech: "Good evening godless sodomites" Laugh (Sorry always wanted to say that). Now back to the article! Run

I have never experienced my favourite player retiring (as I only got into tennis in 2003, aged 11) so I don't know what it is like, but I will probably be like agassi when he retired.... non-stop blubbing!

Simply put, who will you next support when your player hangs up his racket?
Tennis is difficult as not many people, unless they are from that country, will support a richard berankis of lithuania, a david goffin of belgium or a ernests gulbis of latvia, whilst they are outside the top 50, simply because they don't win enough or have enough tv time. On v2 for example we have feds, nadal, djoko and I think a delpo fan, all very successful players.
Tennis fans could perhaps be accused of being even more fairweather than man utd fans! Wink

So do you settle for the next player who you would want to lose against your old favourite or do you lay in waiting for that new feds or nadal etc?
To quote "how i met your mother" will you be settling, or reaching for someone?

Personally I am trying to route more for the guys I would support after feds. The likes of dimi, goffin, gulbis (for the personality) or any other youngsters who have a shbh Smile .
I shall cherish every moment feds is still on the court as he has made me love this game and take up the sport.
Who will you next get behind and what style will you choose to get behind?
Over to you Smile

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Who will you next support? Empty Re: Who will you next support?

Post by YvonneT Mon 25 Mar - 13:08

I'm drawn rather to support the underdog, so I don't need one particular player to follow - but would likely get behind any player who'd lost a lot of finals or close matches. I don't recommend this approach to anyone else though - it almost always ends in tears.

Sometimes it's good to be neutral for a time - it's like in football the most enjoyable World Cups for me have been the ones my team didn't qualify for. When my team's there, I'm all tension and apprehension and it stops me enjoying the quality matches on offer.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar - 13:21

I hope the splinters in your behind aren't hurting too much Wink

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Mon 25 Mar - 13:38

Oh, I'm not on the fence just now - I support Murray. What I'm saying is that after a few years of that, I'd like a bit of a rest from supporting someone who's so near & yet (mainly) so far!

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar - 13:42

Just messing bud.
So at present nobody has caught your eye?
It's different as murray still has a good few years ahead of him, whereas feds, imo, doesn't.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 25 Mar - 13:45

I fear that I'm being reminded again that without a McEnroe or Federer, this is a great game to play and a boring one to watch.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar - 13:49

That is quite a gap BB, was there nobody inbetween?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 13:59

Or BB, you've been spoilt by Mac and Federer. Someone new and exciting will come along, they always do...the only question is how long the gap will be. Dimitrov yet has it in him I believe to be a staple top10 player and although he's no Federer he's a very nice player to watch nonetheless. Don't forget he's still 21 in an era where you need to be older to break through. Federer at 21 hadn't done wonders in the game yet...there's still time. I'm not saying Grigor is a potential 17 slam winner but he is a very nice player to watch and does make the game look relatively easy also...he plays with a racquet developed for Fed (93 re-bore of Fed's 90 PS) that Roger didn't end up going with, so he plays with a racquet made only for him!

A lot will depend on Dimitrov's next wave application...just as Federer applied himself to become the fittest and strongest player when he was 20 leading to a massive increase in self belief and then the breakthroughs (Sampras 2001, Wimb 2003). Will Dimitrov push himself to make the physical gains Roger did? Interestingly Fed (1981) was 10 yrs younger than Pete (1971)...Grigor (1991) is 10 yrs younger than Federer....will they too meet at Wimbledon this year? (they haven't met yet). I look forward to his match vs Murray later. I honestly do believe the breakthrough with Dimitrov will happen at some point.

Aside from him, I don't know...Tomic is talented but he seems fickle and lazy, abit like Gulbis. Goffin is talented but physically too immature. To find the next true Federer (or Nadal) we're looking to boys still playing juniors IMO. But they will come...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 25 Mar - 14:15

I find the older I get, the less I 'support' anyone in any sport. None of them have the faintest clue I exist, so I feel a bit foolish investing much energy in their careers!

But to answer your question, my favourite player is Djokovic. If he retired tomorrow, the mantle of 'my favourite' would probably go to Del Potro.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 25 Mar - 14:27

It is tough to look forward to supporting a player, or a group of players.

There is a promising set of younger players, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Harrison(s?), Tomic, Raonic, et al.

Marcel-Stebe, Goffin, Sock, ...

Also some even younger ones, like Kuznetsov, Berta, Authom, Vesely, ...

I was hoping Gianni Minna would be the next Monfils, but have not heard much after his encounter with Nadal at RG.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar - 14:31

I remember that match back in 2010 was it? He was I think 18 at the time and was an awesome physical specimen but I have yet to hear anything since, as you said LF.

Can you see anyone you could support and forgive me but who do you actually support?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 16:15

I like Del PO as well murdoch although his game is a bit repetitive and blunt at times. From the young guys I really like Jerzy and Gulbis. Gulbis for comic relief, Janowicz because I feel like he could be the protype of the postmodern champion. Nishikori is fun to watch and I root for him as well. Harrisson I cheer for although I am a bit dissapointed in his court positioning as he seems to want to play tennis from well behind the baseline which for his game simply won't get it done.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 25 Mar - 16:30

LuvSports! wrote:That is quite a gap BB, was there nobody inbetween?
Not really, Edberg had the game but was a bit flat personally. Truthfully I lost a lot of interest once Lendl declined.

I generally don't find watching sport all that arresting - I tend to start an event then move off it, often wondering why I was so looking forward to it! Can't recall the last time I watched a football match right through. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in the result, it just struggles to retain interest for extended periods. Live is completely different of course, an infinitely superior watching experience.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar - 16:34

Interesting socal that you choose two big hitters/ attacking players as you are a djoko fan, probs best known for his defense.

As I said before as your current player will be around for some time, is there anyone 4-5 years younger than novak who you can see supporting?
Who did you support before novak and after sampras was it?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 25 Mar - 16:41

I think the famous 4 will be a hard act to follow..the creme de la creme.. but there will be others and probaby when we least expect it.. I understand there is one here in Spain coming through the ranks albeit he is not Spanish.. Ive yet to find out more. Will keep you posted when I know.
I like Delpo and sincerely hope that he can develop more of the game he displayed against Rafa. Im not holding my breath on either Raonic and certainly not Tomic. I like Gulbis´s game .. just wish he would adopt a better attitude.There are not many matches I would sit up til all hours to watch at the moment,.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 16:41

I was never a sampras fan always an Agassi man, always loved the aggressive baseliner, before Agassi it was connors. Djokovic is not principally a defensive player. He is a great defensive player but if you look at his propensity to dictate play with aggressive court position, down the line shots, and his ability to hit winners off both wings you will see that he is a two way player. Like most of the true greats nowadays.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 25 Mar - 16:43

socal1976 wrote:I like Del PO as well murdoch although his game is a bit repetitive and blunt at times. From the young guys I really like Jerzy and Gulbis. Gulbis for comic relief, Janowicz because I feel like he could be the protype of the postmodern champion.
I really like Gulbis too! Like you, it's partly comic relief but, when he's on, I enjoy his game as well. He has some real power to call on when he's in the mood!

I had high hopes for Jerzy and he's another one whose game I enjoy but I'm put off him by the fact he appears to be a bit of an idiot.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar - 16:57

I prefer the old gulbis game though, really not a fan of his new fh, it doesn't seem as effective either and at times he looks as if he is late on it.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 17:11

Yes, Luvsports it is one of the uglier forehands at the top of the game right now and it breaks down more than the previous version. He never had a problem with his shots it was always his focus and fitness, so I don't know why he had to drastically rework it and then rework it to this herky jerky forehand we see now.

Jerzy does seem to be a bit of a moron with a bad attitude murdoch, but I think the guy is 22 and coming into his own, if he gets his head right he could be a grandslam champion. But nothing is guaranteed.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 18:00

I don't see it with Jerzy, I think he's 1 dimensional and exactly the type of player the USA has been churning out for millennia ... big serve + big forehand. I think he's been sussed out by the main guys already to be honest. He's not as good as Raonic.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 18:05

Raonic is pretty good as well and the thing that may help him is that Raonic seems to be a bright and well adjusted kid where that doesn't seem to be the case with the bombastic Jerzy. However I think Jerzy has very good feel and is probably a better mover around the court than Raonic eventhough he is bigger.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 25 Mar - 18:11

LuvSports! wrote:I remember that match back in 2010 was it? He was I think 18 at the time and was an awesome physical specimen but I have yet to hear anything since, as you said LF.

Can you see anyone you could support and forgive me but who do you actually support?

I do not support any specific player. I prefer a good tennis match. rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 18:11

I just think he's another Anderson socal, nice game, some big shots but he doesn't have that X factor really. His serve is hard but predictable too. I also don't like his attitude and not sure he's a PlanB man either.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 18:12

laverfan wrote:I do not support any specific player
What's your forum name again?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 25 Mar - 18:13

HOW MANY TIMES!!!? *spits*

When Sir Andrew retires, I'll have a good look around. If there's a player with a good game that I like then I'll support them, if not I'll jump on the bandwagon on whoever's winning everything at that time because it would be nice to win for a change....
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Mon 25 Mar - 18:17

Interesting thought to ponder....hope it's not relevant for me for three to four years still. Since 1985 the players who have gripped me emotionally, rather than just the players who's tennis I have been astounded by:

Navratilova, Edberg, Seles, Agassi, Serena, Nadal....all very different but don't have to explain or justify what makes me emotionally involved, it is,what it is.

Right now, there isn't another player aside from Nadal who takes my emotions with him/her, when they go on court, with perhaps the exception of Kuznetsova, but this has been made almost redundant with her performances since becoming US Open Champion in 2004, aside from the French Open win, in 2009. Exceptions, as one-off occurences - Schiavone, Stosur in their respective Major Singles wins.

So I hope that there's still time for someone, man or woman, to come along who does grip my emotions in their tennis, but for now, I am very happy to have Djokovic, Federer, Murray and Nadal in the mix. May they all four, be healthy for the remainder of 2013.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 18:32

lydian wrote:I just think he's another Anderson socal, nice game, some big shots but he doesn't have that X factor really. His serve is hard but predictable too. I also don't like his attitude and not sure he's a PlanB man either.

Maybe Lydian time will tell, I think that he is shown quite a bit of variety to his game with the drop shots and his movement for a man his size and he is pretty good at net as well. A point gone missed is that he got to the finals of IW in doubles, this bespeaks a man who is more varied than you might assume. But not to give you a needle you have that same blindspot when it comes to Djoko as well.

Last edited by laverfan on Mon 25 Mar - 18:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected quoting.)

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 25 Mar - 18:38

lydian wrote:

Laver has retired though, Lydian. I did support Pancho at one time, apart from Laver. rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 18:57

Don't agree socal.

I never deny Djokovic is a great player, I just don't like his game. There's a difference. Calling me blind for not liking a players game is a wee bit shortsighted. Pun intended Wink

Jerzy is different. I don't like his game AND I don't think he's a great player either. We're not saying he cant volley, etc...but we're (you're) talking about this guy as the next great player coming along, i.e. staple top10. I think he lacks mental acuity, variety (I see repeated drop shotting as a weakness) and shortcomings when stretched out wide. Take away that serve and he's very average at best.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 19:08

No the blindspot you have in regards to Djoko is how you don't see his variety and I think the same thing is in question with Jerzy. I agree with you about the mentality by the way and that is the biggest stumbling block for an up and comer, it is often easier to fix technical issues than to fix mental ones. I think he will be a top ten player and if he can get his head in order has the talent to win a slam. The thing I like is that while he isn't Andy Murray or Novak Djokovic on the return he also isn't John Isner. He returns pretty well and moves pretty well for a guy of that size. Watching Isner or even Raonic return serve is terrifying, they are just terrible returners and I don't know if the greatest coaches in the world could turn that around.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 19:13

By the way Raonic is a much better return than Isner, Isner might be the worst returner of all time along with Ivo Karlovic.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 19:16

He moves well for his size but is still like a wardrobe out of the blocks. To be honest I don't like the guy, he needs to keep his trap shut until he's earnt the right to be as outspoken as he has been.

I see Djokovic's variety, just think he has less than the other top 3. Djokovic excels in drilling the ball down the lines - its his go to play and does it better than anyone. He can volley and slice but he doesn't play the same variety of shots as the others...e.g. Nadal plays different types of FHs, Fed diff types of BHs, Murray diff types of short angled shots. Djokovic looks more uniform in comparison...he can ralley all day long using the same shapes. Its highly effective but just too "robotic" for me. Just saying.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 19:16

Yeah - Karlovic's strategy is to win 1 more TB set than his opponent.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 25 Mar - 19:22

bogbrush wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:That is quite a gap BB, was there nobody in between?

Can't recall the last time I watched a football match right through

You never watched my teams magnificent performance at Wembley in the League Cup final, then?? Laugh

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 25 Mar - 19:25

I'm half with BB. I despaired, when I realised that Mac would never be the same again. I mean he peaked (1984) and then never won another Slam!!

I think there are some interesting offerings to help us overcome the loss of Fed and I do like the gib of players like Nishikori

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 19:29

lydian wrote:He moves well for his size but is still like a wardrobe out of the blocks. To be honest I don't like the guy, he needs to keep his trap shut until he's earnt the right to be as outspoken as he has been.

I see Djokovic's variety, just think he has less than the other top 3. Djokovic excels in drilling the ball down the lines - its his go to play and does it better than anyone. He can volley and slice but he doesn't play the same variety of shots as the others...e.g. Nadal plays different types of FHs, Fed diff types of BHs, Murray diff types of short angled shots. Djokovic looks more uniform in comparison...he can ralley all day long using the same shapes. Its highly effective but just too "robotic" for me. Just saying.

Novak actually I think as a great deal of variety on the backhand and forehand. He really has an exceptional short angled forehand that he uses to open space for the up the line and the inside out forehand. Last night the commentator on tennis channel made the point I have been trying to make about his seemless change of direction and his unpredictibility off the ground. He said with Djokovic you can't set your self on one baseline pattern, he is just as likely to go cross court, up the line, or inside out on either wing from either the wide or from the center of the court. If there is open space on the court he can find it from a variety of positions or off either wing. He is one of the few players who will often not run around a short forehand and hit an inside out backhand for a winner. Nadal on the other hand loves a single dominant pattern off the ground which is cross court FH to opponents right handed backhand, he does that over and over again. Novak doesn't drill all his shots up the line but because he can do it at the drop of the hat it leaves the opponent guessing. This is a talent out of even the other top 4 that is unique really to him, the opponent can not predict if he is going inside out, cross, or down the line of either wing. This is the definition of variety in my mind at least from the perspective of baseline play. You underestimate the devasting effect of easy change of direction I feel in your analysis. That is principally what allows Djokovic to separate himself from others.

You don't have to like him, but I find the argument that he lacks variety in comparison to other top 4 talents or is robotic a bit specious because of the points I have listed above. On any particular groundstroke Djokovic is the least predictable of any of the top 4 of where he is going to hit the ball.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 19:33

Yeah he should keep his trap shut till he wins something of value at the least, even then he has to realize others are still miles ahead of him in accomplishment. But hey maybe that arrogance transfers to self belief or it is a way of covering up for his sense of inferiority. If he has fire in the belly and really believes it well that is great. Still he is going to put himself up for a lot of scorn when he has a setback with the things he is saying.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 19:57

I don't like arrogance. Never have. Never will.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar - 20:06

banbrotam wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:That is quite a gap BB, was there nobody in between?

Can't recall the last time I watched a football match right through

You never watched my teams magnificent performance at Wembley in the League Cup final, then?? Laugh

BB said that not me!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 25 Mar - 20:33

lydian wrote:I don't like arrogance. Never have. Never will.

Jimbo?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 25 Mar - 20:51

Different traits draw me to different players. I remember loving the way Jimmy Connors battled away and often got the crowds engaged in his matches and I warmed to him for that. I am also a lover of underdogs so will see which player gets my support when Murray retires.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 25 Mar - 20:53

Would love it if Dolgopolov could really get his act together.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 25 Mar - 20:54

Kei when fit is pure class.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 25 Mar - 21:36

I'm adding Dimi to go with Kei!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 21:40

Yep, and I see Dimi as being better than Kei...remember Grigor is 18 months younger.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon 25 Mar - 21:41

Pablo Carreno-Busta, if only because his recent form has helped me win money.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 25 Mar - 21:55

lydian wrote:Yep, and I see Dimi as being better than Kei...remember Grigor is 18 months younger.

He has a better serve but the rest of Kei's game is better. Given Kei's injury problems the 18 month gap isn't significant and the gap in their actual achievements is massive.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar - 22:08

I also don't buy dimitrov, he is a very pretty looking player because he has a one handed backhand but like the vast majority of one handed backhands on tour he doesn't do a good job of returning the heavy kicking serve to the backhand. His lack of a good return game is a big hurdle to overcome and while he has a good serve it isn't overwhelming in most matches to help make up for the disability.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 25 Mar - 22:23

laverfan wrote:
lydian wrote:

Laver has retired though, Lydian. I did support Pancho at one time, apart from Laver. rose

Did you ever get to follow Pancho Gonzales in his prime (1950s) or are you young and sprightly enough that you only saw him in later career?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar - 22:25

Yeah Socal the guy is full of deficiencies...how many players are ranked above Dimitrov for his age?
None.

http://live-tennis.eu/rankings_under_21

Last edited by lydian on Mon 25 Mar - 22:30; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next