The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will you next support?

+15
Henman Bill
ryan86
Born Slippy
CaledonianCraig
banbrotam
yloponom68
The Special Juan
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
laverfan
HM Murdock
lydian
bogbrush
YvonneT
LuvSports!
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who will you next support? - Page 2 Empty Who will you next support?

Post by LuvSports! Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stephen Colbert once said when hosting the emmy's in his introduction speech: "Good evening godless sodomites" Laugh (Sorry always wanted to say that). Now back to the article! Run

I have never experienced my favourite player retiring (as I only got into tennis in 2003, aged 11) so I don't know what it is like, but I will probably be like agassi when he retired.... non-stop blubbing!

Simply put, who will you next support when your player hangs up his racket?
Tennis is difficult as not many people, unless they are from that country, will support a richard berankis of lithuania, a david goffin of belgium or a ernests gulbis of latvia, whilst they are outside the top 50, simply because they don't win enough or have enough tv time. On v2 for example we have feds, nadal, djoko and I think a delpo fan, all very successful players.
Tennis fans could perhaps be accused of being even more fairweather than man utd fans! Wink

So do you settle for the next player who you would want to lose against your old favourite or do you lay in waiting for that new feds or nadal etc?
To quote "how i met your mother" will you be settling, or reaching for someone?

Personally I am trying to route more for the guys I would support after feds. The likes of dimi, goffin, gulbis (for the personality) or any other youngsters who have a shbh Smile .
I shall cherish every moment feds is still on the court as he has made me love this game and take up the sport.
Who will you next get behind and what style will you choose to get behind?
Over to you Smile

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Who will you next support? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will you next support?

Post by Henman Bill Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 pm

I have a slight flirtation with Dolgopolov, but, to be honest, I am not that serious about. I may be tired but I had to pause for about 5 seconds there just to remember his name.

I am also having a stronger flirtation with supporting Laura Robson that could get more serious if she moves up the ranking.

To be honest though I am struggling to see someone who I could support as much at Tim Henman, or even Federer.

By the way, did anyone see Sky's poll of most missed players. Tim Henman was first, and poor Greg Rusedski was not even on the list was he, not that I could see. Ouch.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:36 pm

I'd like to see Jack Sock do better, mainly because of his name (it's no more or less abitrary a reason than any other).
Sock is a bit of a heel.
Sock is a shoe-in
Etc. The possibilities are endless.
It's also an anagram of Jock Sack.
And he's only 20, is near his career high ranking and is a GS champion (USO 2011 Mixed Doubles). That may not mean Jack to you, but I think he could Sock it to 'em in the next couple of years.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:53 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I'd like to see Jack Sock do better, mainly because of his name (it's no more or less abitrary a reason than any other).
Sock is a bit of a heel.
Sock is a shoe-in
Etc. The possibilities are endless.
It's also an anagram of Jock Sack.
And he's only 20, is near his career high ranking and is a GS champion (USO 2011 Mixed Doubles). That may not mean Jack to you, but I think he could Sock it to 'em in the next couple of years.

I see that at least bad comedy is still allowed on the site, that is refreshing.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:01 pm

lydian wrote:Yeah Socal the guy is full of deficiencies...how many players are ranked above Dimitrov for his age?
None.

http://live-tennis.eu/rankings_under_21

Gregor Dimitrov 84 in the ATP rankings in return of serve, breaking 13 percent of the time, just modestly better than John Isner who is breaking 10 percent of the time, Jerzy Janowicz at six foot eight is breaking 19 percent of the time and ranked 54 in the world in return percentage. That may sound like a small difference but it isn't. 6 percent more of a chance to break is actually a big edge on tour. Janowicz breaks almost double the rate of John Isner, that is one of the reasons I see big potential in the kid. We should take a gentleman's bet lydian as to who will finish higher in the rankings this year. Are you game?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:18 pm

It's amazing how someone that poor at age 21 has got to #31 in the rankings really isn't it.
Sure...although of course Jerzy has a 7 point ranking lead already, that said if not for that Paris final which gives him roughly half his total points Jerzy would be around #60.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 am

I didn't say he had a lot of deficiencies, I just said he can't return an ATP serve yet and with how low down his numbers are close to the Isner range in returning that is a big problem. Returning is as valuable in my opinion as serving nowadays the best 4 returners in the world all finished in the top 5 in rankings, and Nishikori's success getting in the top 20 has a lot to do with his returning. I just have seen very few good returning one handers, and really no great returning one handers. Maybe lendl being the exception and Guga on clay. If he can't get into the mid-20s on his return numbers he probably can't win any slam. He might turn it around but the initial signs are not good.

As you said Janowicz's points are all from one big tournament he has to defend so Gregor is not really behind it in the rankings by that much, gentleman's bet is on.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:34 am

Gazza is tied for seventh in the return numbers, always was a very good returner with his one hander.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 am

I am surprised by that as I thought he wasn't a good returner at all.
A lot of the time he just loops a very hittable shot mid court that sits up and puts him on the defensive.
But maybe he has done something different.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:09 am

Luvsports he kind of does a Nadal in that he hits a very heavy return back to neutralize the opponents power. The return doesn't look very damaging but that ball has a lot of fizz and up and down motion and can push the opponent back. I think in 2007 he was neck and neck with murray and djoko in the top 5 or 10 returners on tour and had some degradation in those numbers in the ensuing years. Always for my money one of the better returns of the one hander.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:14 am

socal1976 wrote:
lydian wrote:Yeah Socal the guy is full of deficiencies...how many players are ranked above Dimitrov for his age?
None.

http://live-tennis.eu/rankings_under_21

Gregor Dimitrov 84 in the ATP rankings in return of serve, breaking 13 percent of the time, just modestly better than John Isner who is breaking 10 percent of the time, Jerzy Janowicz at six foot eight is breaking 19 percent of the time and ranked 54 in the world in return percentage. That may sound like a small difference but it isn't. 6 percent more of a chance to break is actually a big edge on tour. Janowicz breaks almost double the rate of John Isner, that is one of the reasons I see big potential in the kid. We should take a gentleman's bet lydian as to who will finish higher in the rankings this year. Are you game?

That is astonishing. I'd never have thought Dimitrov would be that low. Tomic is also right down there at only 15%. It's the key area for both to improve.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:21 am

That is why I don't buy Gregor, in today's game you can't return, you are going to struggle to be better than a player who wins 50-60 percent of your tour level matches. The kid has one of the best serves by percentage on tour but I have a theory that the return maybe more important to winning on the modern tour. Agree Tomic as well is a very poor returner. Back to one of the reasons I think it takes longer for players to mature, returning is so vital now, and very few young players from the juniors are good returners and it takes time to learn how to return an ATP serve and get that crucial break.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:50 am

Any potential tomic fans in the v2 house?

Or any rafa fans tempted by the "new nadal" in christian garin?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Tough one. I do support Federer, but I also root for anyone with the type of game that interests me. Particularly Nishikori, Tsonga, and Gasquet. Of the youngsters, I like Goffin and Raonic a lot, though the latter is mainly due to his attitude rather than his play.

I'll probably become a relative neutral until someone really grabs my attention, but watching the game could be more fun that way!

Not a fan of Tomic, LuvSports - too much of a brat for me, despite his talent Wink plus, he seems incapable of turning up to the big matches unless he's playing Federer!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Henman Bill wrote:
laverfan wrote:
lydian wrote:
laverfan wrote:I do not support any specific player
What's your forum name again?

Laver has retired though, Lydian. I did support Pancho at one time, apart from Laver. rose

Did you ever get to follow Pancho Gonzales in his prime (1950s) or are you young and sprightly enough that you only saw him in later career?

The earliest memory of Pancho that I have is around 1959-60. He was awesome even then. If there was a player who I was emotionally attached to, it was him. (I am going to regret such an admission censored ).

Thanks for asking, HB. kiss You made my day.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Silver wrote:Tough one. I do support Federer, but I also root for anyone with the type of game that interests me. Particularly Nishikori, Tsonga, and Gasquet. Of the youngsters, I like Goffin and Raonic a lot, though the latter is mainly due to his attitude rather than his play.

I'll probably become a relative neutral until someone really grabs my attention, but watching the game could be more fun that way!

Not a fan of Tomic, LuvSports - too much of a brat for me, despite his talent Wink plus, he seems incapable of turning up to the big matches unless he's playing Federer!

I would even say he only seems capable of turning up, bar that wimby run, in aus!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:45 pm

The question is which is the better talent - Dimi or Tomi - and who is likely to have the most impact?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:16 pm

You're probably best qualified to answer that lydian!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:32 pm

In response to LuvSports I'm a big Tomic fan, I think he has all the weapons: movement, big FH, BH up the line, nice slice, lovely variety, nice touch. Could do with improving his BH cross court which is very much a rallying shot, and his net play isn't great, but I do feel he has the most complete game of the young guys. However, he has two glaring weaknesses:

- return of serve. Unlike Dimitrov though this isn't really a technical issue. He just has this tendency to guess a lot on re, turn which results in him being aced a lot, and he doesn't do anything with the second serve (just steps back and puts it in play).

- mental issues. Well this has already been talked about enough, but it's something he desperately needs to improve.

On the other young guns, I agree with socal that I think Dimitrov gets talked up a lot because he has a nice looking game, but the potential is certainly there. Needs to improve his return of serve (could be tricky as his is really a technical issue with the SHBH), but more than that he desperately needs to improve mentally and in shot selection (has a tendency to go for way too much when it's not on).

Janowicz actually has a bit of variety to his game with great touch and decent volleys. I can't help but feel that for a man his height he shouldn't get broken as much as he does, so does he get enough out of his serve? Also tall guys don't really reach the very top in general.

Raonic I've discussed before, he has a great serve, a good FH, and when he trusts it a decent BH but has mental issues with trusting his BH which results in him getting caught out of position way too often. Also struggles with his return and movement, but good at the net. Should make top ten, don't think he'll dominate the game though.

Goffin looks a decent prospect but haven't really seen enough of him to comment on.

Nishikori I said a couple of years ago didn't have the weapons to compete. He does now, but seems to be getting injured regularly, a worrying sign? also really needs to work on his serve as against the best returners he's going to be working too hard on his own service games.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Who will I next support? I don't know but I haven't seen anyone yet that would make me sit up and take notice. I didn't watch men's tennis throughout the 90's as it was so boring Zzzzz.... Then I saw Federer and thought this could be interesting. With Nadal it became very interesting indeed. I saw both as interesting from the first time I saw them play so no doubt if someone else emerges I will recognize them as well. It is entirely possible that watching tennis for me will return to either a passing interest or the next interesting period will be on the women's side. In the past I've preferred watching women's tennis and could do so again.

I don't take laverfans view that all players are equally wonderful. Well of course they may be but not necessarily to watch. No disrespect to hard working players but life is short and there are lots of interesting things so tennis has to be pretty special to hold my interest.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:02 pm

anyone on the women's side that you could get behind HE?

Generally the average age at the top and youngsters breaking through is at a much lower age than the men.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:18 pm

On WTA side, I like McHale, Stephens, Robson, Carol Garcia, Watson.

I need to look at the ITF Juniors which I have neglected a bit on the Girls side. Crying or Very sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Im obviously outnumbered here but I watched Dimitrov last night for the first time .. I found him interesting to watch. Certainly caused Andy one or two problems. True to say he has a lot of work to do ..he is very "ragged" around the edges and definitely has mental issues to deal with.,. but with the right coaching I think he is a great prospect.
(Mind you I thought the same when I saw Dolgopolov and he has done little to improve albeit he is a great talent)
Tomic ??? sorry spare me splease he makes John McEnroe look like Angel Gabriel.. what a temperemental brat with an outrageous attitude.. Get your act together Bernard your talent is heading for the drain.
Gulbis yes he has always shown talent ..now he is beginning to nurture it he also needs to drop the "attitude". Arrogance will be his downfall.
Raonic.. again sorry folks I dont agree.. two years ago you all promised me he would be another Sampras..He is a Lumberjack with a big serve.. poor movement and limited mental strength. He thinks he is better than he is.

I agree with HE there is nothing that makes me single anyone out.. Looks like Im stuck with the famous four at the moment.,

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:25 pm

Luvsports. I did notice Ashleigh Barty but she's still so young it's difficult to tell

https://www.606v2.com/t31397-the-wait-for-new-young-talent-is-over

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:06 pm

@H-n... Dimi's first serve was in bad shape yesterday. He should have won the first set. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Oh come on LF that is not the end of the world for him.. as I said he has a lot of work to do.. but he COULD be an exciting player given the right coaching. He is only 21yrs old and has time to develop. To take Andy to a tie break and cause him untold problems in that first set must tell you something. Yes mentally he has got to get it together, first serve definitely.But I would put more money on him making it than I would either Tomic or Raonic. He has an extraordinarily aggressive game and self-belief.. someone needs to nurture that.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:09 pm

LF, it wasn't his 1st serve in bad shape, it was his head.

In some respects he's very similar to how Federer was around 2000. His game is actually surprisingly similar - except...Dimitrov has a huge serve. He really has. He was up around 131-133mph regularly yesterday and 100+ on 2nds...that is huge and will be a real weapon of his in the future, he may actually be one of the best servers around.

His BH return needs work but then so did Federer's around 2000 and I think 22-23 is the new 19-20 of 10 years ago. Its simply taking guys longer to get to prime now due to the conditioning needed to compete and the solidity slower surfaces places on technique. I think Dimitrov is a better athlete than Tomic, has more power on all shots, and is calmer. He's certainly asking questions of the big guys now and the more times he puts himself into these situations then he'll figure out how to cope. But just look what he could do if he can start serving these sets out against Djokovic and Murray...you're talking someone who could be potentially their equal or even take the game forwards. So BB...as I keep saying, Dimitrov is your man...you just need to wait...he plays the game with the same explosive power and movement that Roger has done...ok he may not work out at 17 slams but he's sure got the talent in abundance and creativity to boot.

No-one else really stands out for me - Raonic is all serve, and not even truly great there. Goffin is too weak and small. Kei is a nice player but I think Dimi is better and less injury prone - which suggests Kei is playing above the level his body can take whereas with Dimitrov you feel he can yet still physically improve, like Federer massively did between 2000-3 when Paganini worked him like a trojan.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm hoping........

Actually, maybe Fed should take him under his wing. Protege sort of thing, pass the torch. I like that thought.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:26 pm

He would be the perfect coach no doubt...for me he's in that spot Federer was at 19-20 when he used to also panic in close match situations. Dimitrov similarly needs help of a sports psychologist to break down those moments and blunt the current nervous response to pressure.

Murray said this of Dimitrov afterwards "I think he will play his best tennis on the faster courts because he has very good timing. He uses his slice a lot, he serves well and he's aggressive. So he will probably play his best tennis on the quicker courts.". Not many young guys can be called aggressive these days - and Dimitrov almost won that 1st set 6-2.
So, had he been around 10-12 years ago his aggressive game would probably already be making inroads, its just going to take longer to adapt to pure baseline conditions. I always thought this guy was good since he really pushed Nadal one time at Rotterdam in 2009. I think he'll start to break through this year now, he knows he can do it if he can calm those nerves down. IF.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:26 pm

laverfan wrote:On WTA side, I like McHale, Stephens, Robson, Carol Garcia, Watson.

I need to look at the ITF Juniors which I have neglected a bit on the Girls side. Crying or Very sad

I'm with you on Stephens, Carol Garcia and Watson, LF. All talents I enjoy watching a lot. But right now my absolute favourite to watch is Radwanska, she plays some shots that nobody else does, and it's nice to see someone near the top of the game not blasting people off court from the back.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:34 pm

the thing is though, some players peak at about 21. They may stay at that peak level for a long time, but I think players have usually acheive at least someone near their best by about 21.

Dimitrov's ranking is not that high compared to Nadal, Murray and Djokovic at the same age. (I would assume)

Dimitrov is more talented than Tomic, but Tomic could still achieve more.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm

I think with Dimitrov it depends how we are judging him. Are we questioning whether he could be a no 1 or slam winner than I doubt it (although you never know) and criticims are valid.

Or are we saying he could be a top tenner at his peak and cause a few upsets, in which case I believe it.

It is true he plays very like Federer, even spookily so, as if he idolised him and modelled his whole game on him.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:39 pm

@H-n... Dimi played in Brisbane, IIRC. Good lad. As Lydian says, he needs to work on his BH and perhaps take inspiration from Federer. Movement needs to be smoother a bit.

@BB... Amen!

@Silver... Radwanska makes up for lack of power with guile and deceptive angles. If she had a little more power, it would make her a very tough opponent though.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:53 pm

HB, Federer is a big idol for Dimi...as Sampras was for Federer (although not his only idol). His serving motion is uncannily like Roger's, the explosive movement to his FH and BH similarly.

I also used to think that about Nadal et al getting to top 50 by 18 yrs old but we have to recognise the conditions are much slower than even 2005 when these guys were breaking through. As we see guys do better when they're older now so we have to expect them to come into peak a little bit later too...the typical top20 playing window is moving from 19-28 to 23-32. So we have to give Grigor a little bit more time. Whether he's a slam winner...who knows but he does have the talent no doubt to be a staple top tenner. At least we have a young guy who plays a different way...and shows there is a different way.

If any of us want to have a role model in future for kids to play SHBH and aggressive attacking tennis then this guy is your man. If he can become top4 or higher regularly then his style will become adopted more...I've always believed SHBH aggressive can still cut it...after all Roger has shown the way...it just needs coaches and players themselves to believe and stop teaching identikit tennis methods.

The number of kids I see who love to play slices, i.e. they are obviously naturally 1-handed on the BH side, at 7/8/9 yo is tremendous yet they get taught to play DHBH without any thought to whether they may actually be a SHBH player. Also, there is a window at 12-14 when they could shift to a SHBH - Pete did - but this never happens now. It could if a guy like Dimitrov captures the imagination of a new generation. No pressure Grigor!

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Well for me Dimitrov is the only one who stands head and shouders above the rest... given his aggressive game, his self belief and hopefully he can work on the mental aspect of his game and if he has the maestro as his inspiration then I would suggest we watch this space. Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 pm

So it seems there could be quite a few routing for young dimi in the next few years.
Any Paire fans? He's not that young at 23 but I think he's quite exciting.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm

He's 24 in early May. I think he's a nice player, a little unorthodox like Dolgo but seems to struggle with concentration in matches. At nearly 6'5 I wonder how far he can rise given he does look a little stiff in the back at times...he's also never really pushed a top 10 guy yet. He's fun to watch though Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 am

@Lydian... there are many SHBHs, Haas, Gasquet, Almagro, Ungur, Wawrinka, Youzhny, Lopez, Llodra, Montanes, Blake.

A good coach should be able recognise strengths and weaknesses and help individuality.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2