The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer Carl "The Truth" Williams passes away

+4
Strongback
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
J.Benson II
8 posters

Go down

Boxer Carl "The Truth" Williams passes away  Empty Boxer Carl "The Truth" Williams passes away

Post by J.Benson II Tue 09 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

Former heavyweight contender and former two-time world title challenger Carl “The Truth” Williams has passed away aged 53 after losing a long battle with cancer.

Williams fought some of the best HW's during his career including Mike Tyson (who stopped him in the 1st round) and Larry Holmes (whom he lost in a competitive 15 round contest).

Carl held notable wins against Jesse Ferguson, Bert Cooper and Trevor Berbick.

RIP

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Boxer Carl "The Truth" Williams passes away  Empty Re: Boxer Carl "The Truth" Williams passes away

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 2:02 pm

How sad..Another of the heavy guys I grew up watching has departed.......

The Truth's career was like a rollercoaster......As a relative novice gave Holmes all he could handle and whilst not deserving victory was certainly closer on the cards than he was given credit for...

We expected big things from him after that but then lost a shocker to the then slumping Weaver..........

After getting back on track superb win over a making waves cooper!! got caught and stopped by Tyson and then went downhill..........

On technical ability Williams was one of the best heavyweights of the last thirty years....

Two problems....Chin and power.............................

However considering some of the wallies who've been champion since Lewis....Williams certainly deserved that title...........

A boxer of great ability who never fulfilled his potential................

Rest in peace Carl..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Boxer Carl "The Truth" Williams passes away  Empty Re: Boxer Carl "The Truth" Williams passes away

Post by Rowley Tue 09 Apr 2013, 2:10 pm

Can't add a lot beyond what Truss' has said, he is far more qualified than I to speak on 80s heavies with authority.

As an aside Carl is responsible in part for one of my favourite boxing witticisms ever. At a press conference to announce one of Carl's fights when Don King was stood next to Carl a journalist was heard to say "that is the nearest King has ever been to the truth"

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 09 Apr 2013, 2:30 pm

I can't remember a lot about his fights, he did fight Bruno I remember and his fight with Tyson was controversial because of the stoppage.

The thing that has stuck in my mind was his jab, he had a really great jab and long arms.

RIP

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:50 pm

Thanks for passing on this news, which had passed me by. Sorry to see another name go.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:32 pm

Very sad. RIP Big man

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich1066 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 1:23 am

Very sad to see his passing. Great jab, good all round skills but always held his right hand low and got punished alot by left hooks. Never seemed to learn to correct this. Shame he never fulfilled his potential

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Apr 2013, 8:54 am

What Truss said.

RIP The Truth

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down