The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rigo Got This: Final Thoughts

+23
6oldenbhoy
bellchees
sweet_pea
John Bloody Wayne
sittingringside
eddyfightfan
AlexHuckerby
BoxingFan88
ShahenshahG
mobilemaster8
manos de piedra
spencerclarke
TRUSSMAN66
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
owen10ozzy
TheMackemMawler
Imperial Ghosty
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Mr Bounce
azania
88Chris05
milkyboy
davidemore
27 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Rigo Got This: Final Thoughts - Page 2 Empty Rigo Got This: Final Thoughts

Post by davidemore Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

So excited about this one. Rigo got this by KO IMO. I just think that despite not having many 12 round fights under his belt, and despite him having slight chin issues (remember the weight he fights at, KO weight), he's got this.

What ya'll think, ya'll? Who got this in your mind and why?

Whatever happens it will be one hell of a fight, sheer entertainment, and a purest's dream. I know it. No stinker here, nu uh.

Excited. heart boxing

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Rigo Got This: Final Thoughts - Page 2 Empty Re: Rigo Got This: Final Thoughts

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:34 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:Donaire KO 1

Very Happy Haha, I'm praying for it mate, putting £30 on it, get £52.50 back on Betfair.

(Not on ROund 1 just on a KO)

Just don't think Rigondeaux can take a shot, took half a decnet one against Cordoba and was put down, took an alright left hook from Marroquin and was all over the place, Donaire lands and I just don't see Rigo lasting, legs will go to jelly and then one more punch and it's game over.

Is he good enough to keep someone liek Donaire off of him all night, I just don't think so with his durability.

His legs won't go to jelly he will be layed out, anyone who gets hit flush with that left hook goes into lala land, just ask Montiel and Arce.

The one chance Rigo might have is if Donaire damages his hand and can't throw with full power.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Slim chance you're giving him there.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:39 pm

davidemore wrote:Slim chance you're giving him there.

I have to be honest I never jumped on the Rigo bandwagon I haven't been that impressed with him up till now, I have never watched his amateur fights mind you.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Can someone point me in the direction of a video that shows off Rigos jab, because when ever I have seen it, it looks like a range finder?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:42 pm

I just lost all respect for your previous comments when you said you've never seen him in the amateurs...

Joke, I barely have too, hehe.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:44 pm

It does but when he throws it properly it is goooood. I posted a training video, watch that, Boxingfanatic.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:44 pm

davidemore wrote:Slim chance you're giving him there.

Well, I actually do give him a very slim chance, the only chance I give him is KOing Donaire with a well timed body shot and that is something I think he is well capable of doing. I just don't think that he throws enough punches to keep Donaire off and will be on the backfoot in survival type mode as Narvaez did.

I think Rigo is a fair bit better than what a few people are giving him props for, you don't utterly dominate the amateur weight class you are in and win double olympic gold (Would have been a third if Cuba had allowed him to enter Beijing). His timing is impecable and Donaire, whilst not exactly poor defensively is caught often. Any heavy landed punch on Rigo makes me think he'll drop however looking at recent history, too fragile for the pro game I think. Especially for someone like Donaire who can rifle them off at any time.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:45 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Can someone point me in the direction of a video that shows off Rigos jab, because when ever I have seen it, it looks like a range finder?

Against Marroquin at times, he threw it very well and he peppered his face with it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 pm

And at times he used it as a range finder. But it is good.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 pm

It's training, has hardly any relevance to an actual fight, Donaire performs to his best when he's expected to be challenged.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Imperial shoosh. Training matters, it all matters.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Maybe it's because of me having money on it, but I worry about the body shot from Rigo.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Training is all about preparation, what he does in training is all well and good but if he doesn't show it in an actual fight what does it matter.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Taxi for imperial.

He has a good jab yo.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Davide, what he did in the amateurs doesn't have any meaning now, amateur boxing is miles away from professorial boxing...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Can't say i've seen this good jab yet.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Maybe it's because of me having money on it, but I worry about the body shot from Rigo.

Agreed mate, however if you have watched a video I posted from youtube a while back, it shows how Donaire uses his footwork to avoid/decrease the impact of the shot.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm going to watch the Teon Kennedy fight, its the only fight I haven't seen end to end, I have seen highlights and I'll look for this amazing jab.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:01 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Maybe it's because of me having money on it, but I worry about the body shot from Rigo.

Agreed mate, however if you have watched a video I posted from youtube a while back, it shows how Donaire uses his footwork to avoid/decrease the impact of the shot.

Yeah I did watch it mate, have to say though, the same guy has posted a fair few videos about Rigo and seems to have a slight vendetta against him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Rigo doesn't really use a jab generally, when I have seen him use it with purpose, as with all of his punches they are thrown very well, quick clean and very crisply.

From what I've seen of Rigo which is pretty much all of his fights with any meaning now, he likes to use his opponents jab against him and likes to mix up his attack from head to body.

I also think that he only seems to have a lapse in concentration when he is winning at a canter, like in the Marroquin fight, having everything his own way and lost respect for his opponent and got rocked. I'm not sure he will do that against Donaire as I assume his trainer (Pedro something or other... THe guy who trains Cotto) Will have drilled it into him or him to stay as focused as possible in this fight and that Donaire has the power to finish you at any time.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Pedro Diaz Smile

I have only ever seen Rigo throw the straight left, he looks extremely one handed to me.

I was watching the Ramos fight and granted he is a lot better now, but he has his chin in the air with his right hand at his waist.....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Pedro Diaz Smile

I have only ever seen Rigo throw the straight left, he looks extremely one handed to me.

I was watching the Ramos fight and granted he is a lot better now, but he has his chin in the air with his right hand at his waist.....

I agree, his defence is very reflex based at times, and the problem with turning amateur so late is that you end up being set in your wayswith certain things like that. Very hard to change a fighter at the age of 30 with as much experience as he has had.

At the same time, he still has a very good defence, fantastic footwork and is excellent at anticipating when attacks are coming, his control of distance is also very impressive. He'd be VERY hard to beat if it weren't for him turning pro so late and in my view not having a great punch resistance, also doesn't help that he has Donaire staring at him in the other corner.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:50 pm

I want to wake just in time for the ring walk. Does anyone know what time to set my alarm?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:53 pm

about 3:01 - might be better if you get up at quarter to otherwise you might be seeing a disconsolate rigo leave the ring at 3:02

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm

shanahahahaahyou delusional, you having a delusion episode if you think rigo gets blown out the water THAT easily.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:58 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Pedro Diaz Smile I have only ever seen Rigo throw the straight left, he looks extremely one handed to me.

This is a product of the dire scoring system in amateur boxing. He's been institutionalised by Olympic boxing and as a result he doesn't flurry, and instead picks single back hands (the easiest way to win amateur international bout). Unfortunately this is pro boxing.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Combo's are key. COMBOS RIGO!!!! THROW 'em.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:10 pm

I'd stay away from combo's if I was a skillful fighter with a suspect chin fighting Donaire.

Combinations are normally thrown going forward or from a solid base. In offense Rigo has no head movement. If he throw's combos his hands will be away from his chin for a longer time than safe.

Holding his feet or moving forward to throw a combo without head movement could be suicide.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:25 pm

So he should lure him in?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Bit of a Donaire nutfest going on here. This is both fighters stiffest test, either could win IMO. Although I would give Donaire the slight edge, it's mainly because of experience, he's beat some cans and lost a fight. Rigo is undefeated.

WAR RIGO!!!!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 pm

40/1 for donaire to do rigo in under 60 seconds with skybet. money in the bank.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 pm

eddie why don;t you just write "I'm drunk" and post that?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 pm

It'll be interesting to see who's footwork comes on top as both are known for it. You've got the smoothness of Rigo and the more erratic leaping/darting of Donaire. It'll be fascinating and I think there will be alot of head on bumps as they both dart in at the same time

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 pm

davidemore wrote:Bit of a Donaire nutfest going on here. This is both fighters stiffest test, either could win IMO. Although I would give Donaire the slight edge, it's mainly because of experience, he's beat some cans and lost a fight. Rigo is undefeated.

WAR RIGO!!!!

He lost his second fight some 12 years ago since when he's beaten 13 current, former and future world champions across four very strong divisions. Now explain to me how he's beaten cans and also why some of us shouldn't be excited by such an impressive talent?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Excited yes, nutfest, no. He'shad a slightly staged career thus far, that's all I'm saying. His talent is undeniable.

You're right, being 1-1 is nothing to talk about on a boxing forum. I mean, Rigo is the same minus the dash, right? And no one talks about his undefeated inexperience in a negative light do they? Or the fact it took him a mere 9 fights to become CHAMP. How many Pro's did that? No Donaire, I know that much, he was a can man back then.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 pm

davidemore wrote:eddie why don;t you just write "I'm drunk" and post that?

don't drink, but think donaire will tear rigo a new one. rigo has been wobbled a few times, and hasn't shown KO power, i just don't see how he stops donaire just steam rolling him, if donaire feels him out it may last 3-4 rounds, but i feel donaire could end it straight away. amatuer experience doesn't prepare you for a prime p4p professional fighter.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm

davidemore wrote:Excited yes, nutfest, no. He'shad a slightly staged career thus far, that's all I'm saying. His talent is undeniable.

You're right, being 1-1 is nothing to talk about on a boxing forum. I mean, Rigo is the same minus the dash, right? And no one talks about his undefeated inexperience in a negative light do they? Or the fact it took him a mere 9 fights to become CHAMP. How many Pro's did that? No Donaire, I know that much, he was a can man back then.

Who did Rigondeaux beat for that interim title? It certainly wasn't someone with the quality of Vic Darchinyan, that single left hook sets Donaire aside from 99% of boxers, taking out an iron chinned opponent with one punch is impressive no matter how you try and spin it. Rigondeaux has the benefit of a great amateur pedigree, that means being fast tracked to a world title, not many boxers are afforded that luxury plus he has never had time on his side.

Donaire's career is in no way staged, unlike most top rank boxers he actively seeks out the best each and every fight, he didn't want Rigondeaux he wanted the more proven Abner Mares but good old Bob wouldn't deal with goldenboy. Darchinyan, Montiel, Nishioka and now Rigondeaux, in what way is that a staged career?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Luxury! Escaping Cuba at a risk to his life a luxury? Winning back to back Gold medals a luxury?

But good points also, duly noted. Eddie, I'm quitting booze now, getting to me these days, lol.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 pm

apart from mares and rigo there is literally nobody at the weight who can even say there the best without blushing.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Darn right! Mares is third on the list IMO but he's good.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Donaire has had a phenomenal career thus far and as many have already said, he is heading for ATG status.

As for Rigo, I really really hope he shocks us and comes and shows off his real skills that everyone in the boxing world is talking about. As a pro I have never seen them, but maybe he had the mentality that his opponents thus far were way out of his league.

I am genuinely intrigued now to see if Rigo can up his game a few levels from previous fights. Now that would make it a super spectacle indeed. I haven't been this excited about a Donaire fight since Montiel.

As much as I want Donaire to win, if Rigo completely schools him I will be the first one to hold my hand up. I also love upsets in boxing (being British we root for the underdog). I will be gutted if Donaire loses but it would certainly be interesting....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:31 pm

There's no risk to his life leaving Cuba, what crap are you spouting?

Or are you going to constantly over egg everything in the hope no one pulls you up on it and shows that you haven't got a clue, a staged career would suggest he's avoided guys, so care to elaborate that point.

I respect Rigo for what he achieved in the amateurs but he's not an amateur any more so time to stop judging him based on that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Great points boxingfan88.

He's got a great shot at the ATG status, but only if he gets the fights, and wins. Long way to go, but he wants it, and i commend both men for this fight.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Imperial i was saying that there IS risk leaving Cuba you idiot. Irony? Lost on you, right, jeeze man. This is a good thread, don't stink it up with attacks please.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Another interesting side story is Rigo's new trainer Pedro Diaz, he had Cotto using his jab with great effect in the fights he trained him for. A new trainer for a huge fight like this is a massive risk, but we might see some different moves from Rigo, I know that Pedro Diaz loves a good solid jab and Donaire is open for it (Vasquez Mathebula).

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:53 pm

There's no risk at all any more leaving Cuba, amateurs are permitted to turn professional but it's a lengthy process that the majority choose to bypass.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Other's have and his durability is fine. In the last fight he was 'all over the place' and pounded the dude over the final 6. People get caught and recover, even Mayweather did, once upon a time, back when Shane threw a right hand and didn't slur through his nose.

Please retire Shane.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:55 pm

Imperial why do so many flee then? Why flee, that's lengthy, and usually involves boxers having to sign awful deals to stay in foreign countries.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:58 pm

They don't flee they defect, there is zero risk to their life doing so, it's a personal choice. Richard Abril is the perfect example.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 pm

I have heard a lot of people (foolishly) say this, I will tell you categorically right now, if Donaire lands the left hook Rigo will be finished. A lot of predictors on youtube are saying "If he can take Donaire's best punch he will win"....

Who is ANY division has taken Donaires best punch, he gave Montiel a Seizure with it. Its not just the power its the speed and timing as well that makes it so devastating. I watched an interview a while back, where Donaire said that he has dropped middleweights with that left hook.

I have been watching a lot of prediction videos and pretty much everyone is picking Rigo. If he can avoid that left hook all night, he could outbox Donaire, but I don't see it happening.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next