The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys, Scotstoun, Friday 19 April, 19:35 hrs

+51
EST
mikey_philVIII
Captain_Sensible
pioden gorllewin
furra_linee
Dorothy_Mantooth
tigertattie
monty junior
Glas a du
sirBiggles
Shifty
Imperialbigdave
MacKnocked-on
Artful_Dodger
Taffineastbourne
BigTrevsbigmac
Tramptastic
LeinsterFan4life
MarcusHalberstram
doctornickolas
t1000advancedprototype
wales606
bsando
GLove39
Cari
TJ1
flyhalffactory
glamorganalun
Breadvan
Pat_Mustard
tatterd
mrzimmerman
cakeordeath
Manky-Flanker
IanBru
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
RuggerRadge2611
Jenifer McLadyboy
funnyExiledScot
VinceWLB
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
jimbopip
DrTreasure
LordDowlais
reallybored
George Carlin
maestegmafia
21st Century Schizoid Man
55 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys, Scotstoun, Friday 19 April, 19:35 hrs  - Page 12 Empty Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys, Scotstoun, Friday 19 April, 19:35 hrs

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 14 Apr 2013, 5:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Oh well after the disaster on Friday in Llanelli we need a huge performance from The Warriors against a tough team. Do Jackson and Pyrgos carry the can for Friday or does Toonie stick to his guns - how is that for a mixed metaphor ?

My team :-
Hogg
Maitland
DTH

Matawalu
Weir
Horne
Dunbar

Grant
MacArthur
Welsh

Swinson
Kellock
Strauss
Barclay
Wilson

Bench: Low, Hall, Harley, Slamont, Pyrgos, Reid, Ryder, Jackson

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys, Scotstoun, Friday 19 April, 19:35 hrs  - Page 12 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys, Scotstoun, Friday 19 April, 19:35 hrs

Post by Totalflanker Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:48 pm

Yup, blindside is where I viewed most of it from, other than a very brief sojourn into the front row, which i fear was more to do with overeating during one off season rather than any particular skill or desire on my part.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys, Scotstoun, Friday 19 April, 19:35 hrs  - Page 12 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys, Scotstoun, Friday 19 April, 19:35 hrs

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:54 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:Also, as a rabo fan can I just stress how good it is to see a scottish club do well. I'd like to see the form replicated in the European competition next season and I'm certain you would too Smile.

clap

Completely agree. We all benefit from a strong Rabo, and that means each and every team upping its game, and all the better for some variety. I'm delighted that Glasgow have started to threaten the grip that Leinster, Munster, Ulster and the Ospreys have had on the Rabo since inception, and hopefully other teams can do likewise. It should also drive up standards in Europe. Both Scotland and Wales need regions/ clubs to make a better showing in the HC next season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:56 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Well,that is Adam Jones out of the Lions then.How has he got his reputation?Bring in the Scottish to rescue the Lions!

Laugh picard

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:58 pm

Having Played tighthead I can shine some light on some of the engagements.

Firstly a comment on hookers, using a great example :

Cast your mind back to the Lions tests in 2009. Mears a short erse picked for the 1st test and Vickery got absolutely mullered at tighthead by Tendai Mtawarira, 2nd test an all Welsh front row fared a lot better. Praise was heaped on Jones and Jenkins however it was the massive unit of Matt Rees, all 6ft 2 and 17st of him that anchored the scrum and allowed Jones and Jenkins to really pile the pressure on the Bokke.

In the third test the equally massive colossus of Kelso Ross Ford provided the platform for Vickery to attack from and his pride was salvaged to such an extent he mockingly shouted "Beast" to the partisan South African crowd. To say the Hooker doesn't assist in the front row is nonsense.

As for the Clash between Grant and Jones, Jones I reckon was carrying some kind of injury and was attempting to make the scrums as short as possible. His body position rarely leant itself to the Scrum staying up and his body language suggested a mind-set that revolved around "the longer these scrums last the more chance I have of giving away a penalty". Been there, done that and paid out penalties like a broken bandit when I have been under the cosh by a mammoth loosie like Grant.

Grant had his binding right and really made Jones suffer when the scrums went past the 3-5 second mark.

A little credit due to Moray Low too who really put Duncan Jones under massive pressure who IMO was more worthy of a Yellow than either Grant or (Adam) Jones.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:58 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow have started to threaten the grip that Leinster, Munster, Ulster and the Ospreys have had on the Rabo since inception, and hopefully other teams can do likewise. It should also drive up standards in Europe. Both Scotland and Wales need regions/ clubs to make a better showing in the HC next season.

Ulster's Celtic/Magners/Rabo placings for the last 10 years. Average 5th place.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:01 pm

Scarlets slightly ahead of them but way off the top 3 that you mentioned

Cardiff just behind them..... Don't make me put Glasgow's stats up. Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:06 pm

I was talking about an improving trend, showing that Glasgow are becoming one of the better Rabo sides, perhaps best characterised by the fact that they have made the playoffs in each of the last two years.

Agree re: Ulster, not a traditional giant of the league as I suggested, but certainly now one of the teams to beat in the league.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Having Played tighthead I can shine some light on some of the engagements.

Cast your mind back to the Lions tests in 2009. Mears a short erse picked for the 1st test and Vickery got absolutely mullered at tighthead by Tendai Mtawarira, 2nd test an all Welsh front row fared a lot better. Praise was heaped on Jones and Jenkins however it was the massive unit of Matt Rees, all 6ft 2 and 17st of him that anchored the scrum and allowed Jones and Jenkins to really pile the pressure on the Bokke.

In the third test the equally massive colossus of Kelso Ross Ford provided the platform for Vickery to attack from and his pride was salvaged to such an extent he mockingly shouted "Beast" to the partisan South African crowd. To say the Hooker doesn't assist in the front row is nonsense.

As for the Clash between Grant and Jones, Jones I reckon was carrying some kind of injury and was attempting to make the scrums as short as possible. His body position rarely leant itself to the Scrum staying up and his body language suggested a mind-set that revolved around "the longer these scrums last the more chance I have of giving away a penalty". Been there, done that and paid out penalties like a broken bandit when I have been under the cosh by a mammoth loosie like Grant.

Grant had his binding right and really made Jones suffer when the scrums went past the 3-5 second mark.

A little credit due to Moray Low too who really put Duncan Jones under massive pressure who IMO was more worthy of a Yellow than either Grant or (Adam) Jones.

I dont think anyone is saying that the hooker is not important. The scrum has a number of units and all must function for it to be effective.

My original point was that so much is made of the TH being the most important player in any scrum is not exactly true.

I also point out that a TH is very much on his own with poor support from the flanker and 2nd row

PS Jenkins is not known for powerful tight play.

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I was talking about an improving trend, showing that Glasgow are becoming one of the better Rabo sides, perhaps best characterised by the fact that they have made the playoffs in each of the last two years.

Agree re: Ulster, not a traditional giant of the league as I suggested, but certainly now one of the teams to beat in the league.
Made them 3 years ago too. But 11th in between?

OK You forced me Smile Average 7th.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

Still - two years in a row is an improvement, no?

If you do Edinburgh, you're not coming to my birthday party.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Having Played tighthead I can shine some light on some of the engagements.

Thank you for your insightful support!Glad to see that the world hasn't gone totally bonkers.
I cannot recall any scrum dominance in this game but I noted the implosion of the Ospreys line out which was worse than atrocious.Without Hibbard,Ryan Jones or any first choice 3/4's against a solid Glasgow team playing at home,I was not too surprised by how things panned out.Morrison looked effective which should have given an inkling to some that the O's were mightily under strength.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:24 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Still - two years in a row is an improvement, no?

Laugh

Is that a threat or a promise?

They are only a fraction behind Glasgow in fairness, but their best finish was a 3rd 10 years ago.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

The real difference though is that whilst Glasgow have been improving, and building a strong squad, Edinburgh have been wasting money on overpaid NSQ journeymen principally in positions in which we already have perfectly good players, leaving some positions woefully short of cover. You'd get very good odds I suspect betting on a top half finish for Edinburgh next season.

Only Zebre and the Dragons have been more rubbish this season, and having sat at Murrayfield watching all season, that's quite an achievement for those two sides, notwithstanding that this is Zebre's first pro season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Apr 2013, 2:06 pm

Good post Radge but you are still to convince me that Props do anything other than just push really hard…. Run

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 2:17 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Good post Radge but you are still to convince me that Props do anything other than just push really hard…. Run

It surprises me not that girly backs don't understand what the real men get up to while they are preening themselves in the backline waiting for "the pushing" to stop... kiss
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 23 Apr 2013, 2:39 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Still - two years in a row is an improvement, no?

Laugh

Is that a threat or a promise?

They are only a fraction behind Glasgow in fairness, but their best finish was a 3rd 10 years ago.

it was actually runners up in 2009.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 2:53 pm

So it was. Sorry I was looking at the dragons in the next column

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:03 pm

We were busy wining our first HC that season. We got bounced down to 3rd place (our 2nd worst ever) on the last day of the season by Embra after our then customary loss at dave parade.

We only won there once in the first 7 years of the Dragons. A habit we only got out of under Schmidt having won the last 3

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:14 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:We were busy wining our first HC that season. We got bounced down to 3rd place (our 2nd worst ever) on the last day of the season by Embra after our then customary loss at dave parade.

We only won there once in the first 7 years of the Dragons. A habit we only got out of under Schmidt having won the last 3

Please leave.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:39 pm

Anyone who thinks the scrum being mullered is only the fault of the props needs to go get themselves a scooby!

For my sins I have played 1,4,5 and 8 in the scrum. I would like to say first of all that 8 was way more fun. You get to run with the ball more Smile

Anyhoo.

A props main function is to prop. This means keep the scrum up. It is the 2nd row who provide the pushing. The flankers are supposed to keep the 2nd row going straight and not angle out. Number 8 can lend a hand to the pushing but they tend to be there to just play the ball at the back Smile

Now. I would consider myself an average player at best. But I was accomplished in the scrums. When you are propping. If the hooker does not keep tight to both props the opposition tend to come through the gap and this is when a scrum can pop up. Or go flying backwards at a rate of knotts.
If your 2nd row is not pushing then you end up going backwards and it is damn hard to keep a scrum up when you are being pushed back. You get folded like an accordian if you dont take the scrum down. If the whole front row is not kept together then your 2nd row dont have an even platform to push against and look, yer off backwards again.

Scrummaging effectivly comes down to the whole unit working together. If you have one weak 2nd row or a prop who cannot stay tight then yer gonna struggle. A Prop can choose to pull down a scrum but it is not jut them that is responsible for scrum dommanence. I'll also add that any prop who intentionally pulls down a scrum is a tool and if they break thier hookers neck then they need to live with the guilt!

Also. If they eejit backs didnt drop the ball so much, we'd not have to scrum as much Smile
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 5:12 pm

I loved playing 8 too. The best position on the field. Too tough to play with the girls, to fast and too pretty to be in the tight 5. AND you get to grab the ball at the back of the scrum and run over scrum halves. Paradise. Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 5:14 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:We were busy wining our first HC that season. We got bounced down to 3rd place (our 2nd worst ever) on the last day of the season by Embra after our then customary loss at dave parade.

Please leave.
Laugh

Thought you'd like that one.

Ahh. Feck the modesty

Although we did lose the 3 finals. This is purely league positions.

Last edited by Jenifer McLadyboy on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : That's 4 mistakesa today)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Apr 2013, 6:42 pm

All I'm seeing is 8th. Leinster are rubbish.......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:19 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:All I'm seeing is 8th. Leinster are rubbish.......
Had a rubbish season 10 years ago Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:23 pm

Have Tattie and Radge got ghost-writers? rops don't know that many words for a single psoting
And RDW, don't start your guff about forwards again. All backs (and especially any who wear scrum caps) have a degree in homo economics from the Michael Barrymore Memorial College (swimming pool activities a speciality).
We have not knock our nuts off to win you the ball and what do you do straight away? You drop it so we have to go and win it again - and the whole nonsense gets repeated ad nauseum until even the ref is bored with your incompetence.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:47 am

Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

Injured- I'm not a prop though. I'm a multi positional, ball winning, often out of breath, utility forward Smile

I am deffo not a prop coz I scored a hatrick once (ok, it was against a team we cuffed by 100 + points and it was in the 2nd half where I was moved to inside centre coz we had more forwards than backs and everyone needed a run out) It was still a hatrick though (2 were from open play Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys, Scotstoun, Friday 19 April, 19:35 hrs  - Page 12 2211252749
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 24 Apr 2013, 3:41 pm

Rumours on other forums that Murray McConnell is being released... no official confirmation that I can see

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 24 Apr 2013, 4:17 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:Rumours on other forums that Murray McConnell is being released... no official confirmation that I can see

As long as Edinburgh have Chris Leck (the epitome of the NSQ journeyman) on the books, McConnell should remain part of Scottish rugby.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 24 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

Don't see why he would be released anyway. Cusiter has injury issues and Pyrgos and Matawalu will both be unavailable during the November tests. I hope it's not true but if it is there must be at least one new scrum half coming in.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 24 Apr 2013, 4:30 pm

Agree, especially seeing as you were kind enough to give us Kennedy back.

What's probably happened here is that Sean Lineen, whilst working for both Edinburgh and Glasgow, has convinced Will Genia to join Glasgow next season, whilst simultaneously brokering the deal for Alex Tutui to join Edinburgh.

I'm not bitter at all....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 24 Apr 2013, 4:40 pm

laughing It does seem like Lineen is keeping all his best finds for Glasgow doesn't it!

Out of interest, I have had a look at other international fixtures. I see Canada are in action in the Pacific Nations Cup the same day as the Rabo final! So if Glasgow reach the final will they be required to release DTH (and Paris although he probably wouldn't be involved anyway) for this?

Fiji's first match is not until the following week so Matawalu will be OK

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 24 Apr 2013, 4:47 pm

Oh and it's just been confirmed that Nick Campbell and Taylor Paris are leaving

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 24 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm

I'd take Nick Campbell at Edinburgh in a flash. Exactly what we need.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:07 pm

Sorry he's off to play Championship rugby for Jersey!

Can't get into the article to see where Paris is off to, as the new websites they were so proud to announce don't work picard

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:10 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:Sorry he's off to play Championship rugby for Jersey!

That, combined with the Lutui signing, has got me deeply depressed.....

Crying or Very sad

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:14 pm

What are the bets on Edinburgh announcing the signing of a young, 6'7", NSQ lock from the English championship in the next few days.

The SRU have really done themselves proud this time - Edinburgh crying out for a Campbell type player, and they wave him off to the Championship.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:18 pm

EST wrote:What are the bets on Edinburgh announcing the signing of a young, 6'7", NSQ lock from the English championship in the next few days.

Young?? You're being optimistic. Cue arrival of 34 year old, 6'6 and 17 stone lock, NSQ of course. He'll have been in the NZ U12's or something like that, back in his heyday. Well pay him a small fortune.

mad mad mad

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:38 pm

Sean Tomes for The MFLs?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 25 Apr 2013, 9:33 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Sean Tomes for The MFLs?!

That makes perfect sense.....

Parker and Tomes, the new Botha and Matfield!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12