The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons players confused...

+18
theskippingpig
dragon999
Notch
doctornickolas
SecretFly
Cardiff Dave
Stone Motif
youngguns6
Luckless Pedestrian
VinceWLB
Looseheaded
ScarletSpiderman
Impossible Standards
pioden gorllewin
geoff998rugby
Kingshu
LordDowlais
thebluesmancometh
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Dragons players confused... - Page 3 Empty Dragons players confused...

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 am

First topic message reminder :

A freind of mine was chatting with Tom Brown recently who was flabergasted by whats happening there, he was told they couldn't afford him, then signed a back rower who cost more...

Brown thinks he never got a fair crack, and is gutted he couldn't show what he thought was his best form, he also thinks the Dragons are a bit of a mess right now and none of the playing staff have any idea what is going on with the club.

All hearsay I know but worrying from a Dragons fan POV don't you think?!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Dragons players confused... - Page 3 Empty Re: Dragons players confused...

Post by mikey_philVIII Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:towards an academy that that in 10 years has barely produced a player of note let alone an international. I bow to thee and they greater knowledge.

I don't get why you and other supporters of other regions use this stick to beat us with all the time. There's always been a bit of anti Dragon in Gatland's thinking. Even players like Faletau, Lydiate and Coombs were stumbled across by accident, as Lydiate and Faletau should really have been capped sooner and Coombs was a pure last resort pick. It also isn't really our fault if players choose to follow the "culture" in France after they've been capped whilst they were with us or are forced to retire early (like Burner). Care to explain how a player like Jon Evans can play well enough all season and more importantly, outplay the current incumbent of the Welsh 9 shirt at least once doesn't get a look in? How players like Turnbull and McCusker warrant constant selection over Lewis Evans? For an academy that is doing pretty gash, we seem to have a few players in the U18s and 20s squads nowadays.

I would be disappointed if Tom Brown was saying this, but you can bet your bottom dollar if he was offered a contract with us in the summer, he'd snap the Dragons hand off. That's why any sane person would dismiss it as bitter ramblings.

I did like the way that we played under Turner, but I honestly think I would credit Charvis for our dog more than Turner. Appleyard is a joke. I'd liken it to a bloke in the military who thinks he's the mutts nuts, but when they're barking at you, you either try stifling your laughter or completely switch off.

I agree I am a big fan of Lewis Evans.

And is it true that the Dragons regional academies started two years after the other 3? Something to do with funding...

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Risca Rev wrote:To be fair to him, he doesn't have to scrap on the floor so much now, as Cudd is doing everything. I wouldn't be surprised if his head is a bit gone after our season and the fact he's a captain, but a quick fix for that is Coombs for captain next season and let him just play.

Then perhaps Coombsy's head will be gone?

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Haha, I doubt that. Shanksy is probably more of a confidence player. Coombsy now he's a lock isn't in quite as high a profile position (as a backrower) and his job is a bit more simpler really, as he describes himself. Dog work, hit rucks etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Problem with Shanks is he's never had a run in one position. I think Dan Lydiate buggering off for his slice of culture will be a good thing for him, as I see him as a six. Obviously Lydiate's defence is up there with the best in the world but I'd say Lewis's all round game is better. He's one of the long list of players whose versatility has worked against him.

I fully agree captain hasn't suited him, at all. Can't see him continuing the role, as though I rate him as a player I'm not sure he's first choice in any of the back row positions anymore on form, especially depending where Talei fits in. He needs to get his head down and make the 6 position his own. The rest will take care of itself, he's got the ability.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Problem with Shanks is he's never had a run in one position. I think Dan Lydiate buggering off for his slice of culture will be a good thing for him, as I see him as a six. Obviously Lydiate's defence is up there with the best in the world but I'd say Lewis's all round game is better. He's one of the long list of players whose versatility has worked against him.

I fully agree captain hasn't suited him, at all. Can't see him continuing the role, as though I rate him as a player I'm not sure he's first choice in any of the back row positions anymore on form, especially depending where Talei fits in. He needs to get his head down and make the 6 position his own. The rest will take care of itself, he's got the ability.

Have to agree, I hope he recaptures his form of early this season, there was one or two games (can't remember the opposition) where he had a 20 minute and 40 minute spell of what looked to me the perfect back row performance, contributed to everything the Dragons did well, it was an absolute joy to watch (I commented on the performance on here at the time) but as all too regularly the tight 5 then got a bit demolished and the back row paid the price.

6 will be his long term position, he isn't dynamic enough for 8, or a natural fetcher at 7 (partly due to his height and physique) but he is very rounded, has nice hands, good technique in most areas too.

The biggest compliment I could give him is that he would definately be in the first team of all 4 regions at present, possibly different positions but would definately start for all 4.

Just how he didn't make the Wales squad I have no idea, he got a call up on the back of THAT Perpignon performance (which he was ellated about) and then suddenly written off after conceding THAT try.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:32 pm

stone I think I saw you laying responsibility for the heavy losses firmly at the players feet, so am i right to assume then that you think the DE and RA are getting the best out of this group of players?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Lewis has had a really tough season as skipper - recover from his injury,good pre season come back fully loaded for next season & make the no 6 jersey his own on merit - no burden of captaincy which must go to Coombsey surely.
Oh & Lewis is a real tidy guy!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 pm

GavinDragon wrote:stone I think I saw you laying responsibility for the heavy losses firmly at the players feet, so am i right to assume then that you think the DE and RA are getting the best out of this group of players?
not sure I follow Gav. It's been a really sorry season at Dave Parade. With the birth of my son I haven't been down much, and I can't say I'm sorry. To be fair as much as I don't think Edwards and Applecart in particular may be good enough, we've put out a team all season that's been a mixture of kids with the occasional splash of dross for the most past. With our recruitment it looks like a strategic decision to let the team go to Poopie this season in order to get the business side making enough money to be viable almost without the rugby...if that's the case, Dazzles has probably got no way of succeeding. He's come along at the wrong time whichever way you look at it, we need an experienced hand at the tiller this season. If we're the last placed region again with the PA up it'll be duck season on Gwent rugby. I think the squad looks a lot better already and we've recruited well so he's got nowhere to hide, but even so it's a big ask to be playing for the regions future so to speak. Applecart can defo foxtrot oscar mind, never seen stag an appalling defensive effort from a team.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 pm

i meant earlier in the thread. I was just wondering whether you think DE is up to the job....

I loved the way we played rugby under him in his first few games in charge we played what was in front of us, but since then I think he and we have shrunk under the pressure and we need someone who players will respect as i dont think the players do....

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:45 pm

Cheese and onion, curry and chips, horseses and carriages, black and amber; some things work together and that's that.
Can't wait for the outcome of the WRU/RRW allow the "regions" to run free and do what's best for Welsh rugby meeting.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:01 am

GavinDragon wrote:i meant earlier in the thread. I was just wondering whether you think DE is up to the job....

I loved the way we played rugby under him in his first few games in charge we played what was in front of us, but since then I think he and we have shrunk under the pressure and we need someone who players will respect as i dont think the players do....
You'd have to say no, but reading between the lines I don't think he was ever more than a stop gap, and to be fair Graham Henry would have looked a pleb coaching our rabble this season. Players always have to shoulder some of the blame, after that match against Glasgow some of them should be ashamed to call themselves professionals. In all though I'm convinced the board have gambled on sacrificing the playing side for a few seasons to get their house in order and break even after reinvesting in the ground. We're now seeing a turn back towards the playing side with some better than expected signings. He's got this season to prove himself, too expensive to fire him I just hope to god there's something about him because what happens post the end of the season with the end of the PA/HEC, we really do need to finish 3rd or better Welsh region this year. Pie in the sky thinking maybe but a reliable goal kicker alone would have seen us home in a few extra games and seen us double the Blues imo, plus the other regions will be hit hard in a Lions year. Bottom line for this season is though we've managed to break even or better fielding one of the worst sides ever to play pro rugby. Looks like Bluesman's One True Business tag wasn't far off...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:01 am

GavinDragon wrote:i meant earlier in the thread. I was just wondering whether you think DE is up to the job....

You'd have to say no, but reading between the lines I don't think he was ever more than a stop gap, and to be fair Graham Henry would have looked a pleb coaching our rabble this season. Players always have to shoulder some of the blame, after that match against Glasgow some of them should be ashamed to call themselves professionals. In all though I'm convinced the board have gambled on sacrificing the playing side for a few seasons to get their house in order and break even after reinvesting in the ground. We're now seeing a turn back towards the playing side with some better than expected signings. He's got this season to prove himself, too expensive to fire him I just hope to god there's something about him because what happens post the end of the season with the end of the PA/HEC, we really do need to finish 3rd or better Welsh region this year. Pie in the sky thinking maybe but a reliable goal kicker alone would have seen us home in a few extra games and seen us double the Blues imo, plus the other regions will be hit hard in a Lions year. Bottom line for this season is though we've managed to break even or better fielding one of the worst sides ever to play pro rugby. Looks like Bluesman's One True Business tag wasn't far off...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Stone Motif wrote:

Laugh I luck out every now and then.

Seriously though a goal kicker wouldve doubled the blues this season, but next with the likes of Rees, Jenkins, Allens form from the 7's, Patchells 30yr old head on a kids body???

I think although the Dragons are making signings, they are a bit desperate, and aren't forward thinking (unless the Muller and Chaparro deals turn out wel) the Blues will probably be in a 2 way fight for 2/3 and the Dragons will fall a touch short again.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Don't agree sorry, think the only iffy signing is the argie prop. As for the Blues, anyone of quality in that team is either going to be unavailable or one step away from being unavailable, and you're left with a Cardiff side with as little depth as I can remember seeing. If Pies hasn't got Jenkins and Rees on a retirement clause he's barking.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Well Jenkins may go to the lions (outside bet) and Rees may get a few Wales caps (with injuries) but in reality they will be around for HC games and to bring on talent such as Dacey, Andrews, Hobbs. That'll do me!!

And without Rees and Jenkins we have a Blues side very similar to this seasons.

Roberts played 3 games this season I think?

James played near nothing second half of the season?

Fillisse was constantly in trouble!!!

Sweeney had dropped to 3rd down the pecking order

I'm not saying the Blues don't have real issues, of course they do, but they have recruited some proven quality at least, and the players they had this season more than matched the Dragons.

I'm just saying that in the derby game the likes of Rees, Jenkins, Davies, Warburton will be too much for the Dragons to compete with, and they will do enough in the league to stay ahead.

For the record I wouldnt have signed Jenkins or Rees, they offer more off the pitch than on for the Blues, I would also ditch the likes of Mafi, Paulo, Pretorious, and possibly a few others, focus on within for another 2 seasons, then look to spend. Right now my money for the Blues would be focus'd on something radical for the Arms park, something to attract crowds, and entice them in, until the rugby picks up anyway

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Don't agree sorry, think the only iffy signing is the argie prop. As for the Blues, anyone of quality in that team is either going to be unavailable or one step away from being unavailable, and you're left with a Cardiff side with as little depth as I can remember seeing. If Pies hasn't got Jenkins and Rees on a retirement clause he's barking.

Yep and I envisage the RFC boys again, filling the gaps. Gareth Davies OH, I believe is only a full Blue to make up the numbers.
Also it's looking possible that Paterson could be for Sale which would be a blow.
Another barren season awaits, but with all things considered it doesn't surprise me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3