The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Leinster Coach

+23
yappysnap
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Don Alfonso
SecretFly
Gibson
Golden
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
asoreleftshoulder
dublin_dave
Sin é
the-goon
GunsGerms
funnyExiledScot
geoff998rugby
Kingshu
Jenifer McLadyboy
whocares
LeinsterFan4life
profitius
Mickado
HongKongCherry
Artful_Dodger
red_stag
27 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Next Leinster Coach - Page 2 Empty Next Leinster Coach

Post by red_stag Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

Assuming Joe Schmidt takes on the Ireland job who do Leinster fans want to see installed as coach?

Mike Ruddock is a former Leinster coach who has just led Landowne to be AIL Champions. Bernard Jackman is doing very well as defence coach for Grenoble and Jono Gibbes has been a superb forwards coach since joining Leinster way back under Cheika.

Any other names come to mind? Les Kiss could find himself out of a job. Would he be welcome?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Next Leinster Coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Next Leinster Coach

Post by GunsGerms Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:14 pm

Id rather Schmidt for Ireland and Deans for Leinster. I think Deans style would suit Leinster and he wouldnt have the same kind of pressure in Leinster dealing with lunatics as in the Aussie camp.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:15 pm

with my ireland hat on i think Gibbes would be a great addition as forwards coach. He has done trojan work at Leinster.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:15 pm

Golden wrote:At the moment we have 4 kiwis in charge of the provinces (I know pat lam isnt the official coach of connacht til the end of the season). Could it be a plan by the IRFU to get all the provinces playing a similar game? or at least ones with higher skill levels? if Schmidt were to accept the Ireland job then they might go looking for another New Zealander

Everyone else poaches our players. Ireland are smart enough to take the coaches.

Mutter mutter mutter

Note: this is a flippant attempt at humour, I really don't want to get into the great poaching debate today (especially as I'm off to the airport in 15 minutes)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:23 pm

Pete, if your going to steal from someone steal from the best thumbsup

Dont hear anything wrong in what Schmidt said in that interview, very diplomatic in my opinion.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:28 pm

Golden wrote:Pete, if your going to steal from someone steal from the best thumbsup
Dont hear anything wrong in what Schmidt said in that interview, very diplomatic in my opinion.

I'm glad to hear that - I'm just about to listen to it myself now - I was going on what the interviewer tweeted as to how angry he was!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:30 pm

Just have a listen. Heaped praise on the man, criticised the process not POC himself.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 16 Apr 2013, 6:32 pm

Mickado wrote:Just have a listen. Heaped praise on the man, criticised the process not POC himself.

He did indeed, but I think he was a bit too critical of the Citing Officer which might backfire on him (and Ireland) in the future!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 16 Apr 2013, 8:15 pm

Mickado wrote:Would like to see Gibbs get the job, he’s been a fantastic forwards coach. He’d obviously need to bring in someone as backs coach, Girvan Dempsey has been doing well with the A side, maybe a year or two too early to be brought into the senior set up but could be worth a shot.

Inspired coaching ticket.

One thing is for sure, Gibbes must stay. He has been instrumental, more than anyone else, in Leinsters rise and the 3 x HCs, across the Cheika and Schmidt eras. Putting Girv in beside Jonnos experience, could be a great Leinster Way coaching ticket. Yeah, I like that. He was a huge part of an even greater Leinster attacking-side in the past. But, is he ready?

Cheika? NO phooking way man! Vern Cotter for me. He will have won the HC and the TOP14 (again) with ASM, by the end of May. Be a nice challenge for him. Could he pick up from Joes changing setup and take us onwards and upwards?

I do believe he could.

But he wont leave ASM, I reckon.

Dean Richards. How ironic would that be?

Brilliant coach, if given the right backing. And he would have it at Leinster.

Be a Bloodless Coup.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:11 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Michael Bradley please, just for a laugh.

It would be nice to beat Leinster regularly.

Let's see how Edinburgh motor on post Bradley before we make a call on where the joke is on that one Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:25 pm

It won't just be Ulster doing the double over Michael Bradley's Leinster.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:28 pm

The Coach doesn't coach though. I learned that during this 6N.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

I think Kiss could be an excellent head coach for Leinster.
Ruddock would be a good option too.

I am a huge Vern Cotter fan so he would be my first choice but you know.

I'd like to think McKenzie and Deans are still in line for the Irish job

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:44 pm

Would Vern Cotter be even interested?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:52 pm

Marc Lievremont as an out side bet?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:52 pm

I think Vern is goin back to NZ.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:57 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I think Kiss could be an excellent head coach for Leinster.
Ruddock would be a good option too.

I am a huge Vern Cotter fan so he would be my first choice but you know.

I'd like to think McKenzie and Deans are still in line for the Irish job

If Vern Cotter doesn't get over the line this time with Clermont, maybe - just maybe - he'll begin to think that the only way he will ever get to the finish line is with wittle Weinster over there in wittle Wublim.

And I have a funny feeling about this time.... and that line......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:27 am

You can have Matt O'Connor if you want. Jackie Charlton is also available - an existing Dublin freeman. Wink

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:36 am

red_stag wrote:Would Vern Cotter be even interested?

No idea but I really like him and think that he'd be a good fit for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 18 Apr 2013, 4:56 pm

A lot of talk on the airwaves that Chris Boyd (NZ U20s coach) is in line for the job.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:14 pm

Sin é wrote:A lot of talk on the airwaves that Chris Boyd (NZ U20s coach) is in line for the job.

you are a fountain of knowledge Sin. I like Leinster's habit of picking up very hungry and competent yet fairly inexperienced coaches.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:21 pm

He's 55? What age is Joe?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:A lot of talk on the airwaves that Chris Boyd (NZ U20s coach) is in line for the job.

you are a fountain of knowledge Sin. I like Leinster's habit of picking up very hungry and competent yet fairly inexperienced coaches.

They are talking about it on RTE! He is fairly experienced actually (checked him out). Was assistant for the Sharks for a couple of seasons and has been working for the NZ National Academy for the last few years as well. He is coaching Wellington in the ITM Cup!

So we could have 3 Kiwis in Ireland who have all coached the NZ U20s recently!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:26 pm

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

They are talking about it on RTE! He is fairly experienced actually (checked him out). Was assistant for the Sharks for a couple of seasons and has been working for the NZ National Academy for the last few years as well. He is coaching Wellington in the ITM Cup!

Fair enough, never heard of him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:28 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Fair enough, never heard of him.

Neither did I. What would we do without google Very Happy
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:29 pm

SecretFly wrote:He's 55? What age is Joe?

48 or 49 I think.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 18 Apr 2013, 6:15 pm

Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:He's 55? What age is Joe?

48 or 49 I think.
I think he is about 45.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 21 Apr 2013, 9:30 pm

Australia coach Robbie Deans is being considered by Leinster as a possible replacement for Joe Schmidt, who is expected to be named as the new Ireland coach next weekend.

Other names on Leinster's list include current forwards coach Jono Gibbes along with Wellington Hurricanes and New Zealand under 20 coach Chris Boyd.

Even ahead of the Lions tour in June, Deans is under serious pressure in Australia, not least from current Reds coach Ewen McKenzie, and it's understood his name has been floating around the European market for the last month.

Leinster's problem, however, is the uncertainty over Deans' future Down Under, and whether or not they will retain him through to the World Cup in 2015. As one of the leading provinces in Europe, Leinster feel they can't afford a vacuum developing after Schmidt moves over to Lansdowne Road, and ideally want a replacement on site when pre-season training starts on July 1.

During his appearance on The Late Late Show on Friday night, Schmidt said talks with the IRFU had been positive and confirmed he is keen to get the job, which he described as "one of the big jobs in rugby".

It is understood that Leinster have had an ongoing list of potential successors for some months, and that Deans was first sounded out by the IRFU in relation to the Performance Director's job which is part of the Plan Ireland strategy.

Gibbes has been part of the Leinster set-up since 2008, though it's unclear whether he has ambitions to be a head coach at this stage in his career. Earlier in the season, Gibbes, scrum coach Greg Feek and skills coach Richie Murphy all increased their responsibilities for a short period, with Schmidt stepping back, to see how it would work out. Before long Schmidt picked up where he had left off, micro-managing the operation.

Chris Boyd (54) is a long-time coach who is currently heading up the Wellington provincial side, the Lions, as well as the New Zealand under 20 side.

Leinster go to Zebre today looking for a bonus-point win to slot in behind Ulster in second place in the Pro12 table.

Ulster's win in Galway on Friday night keeps them in pole position going into the last round in a fortnight when they take on Cardiff in Ravenhill. Leinster will complete their programme of regulation games at the same time, Friday, May 3, at home to the Ospreys. Both Irish sides are through already to the semi-finals but home advantage is still up for grabs.

Irish Independent today

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:18 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Australia coach Robbie Deans is being considered by Leinster as a possible replacement for Joe Schmidt, who is expected to be named as the new Ireland coach next weekend.

Other names on Leinster's list include current forwards coach Jono Gibbes along with Wellington Hurricanes and New Zealand under 20 coach Chris Boyd.

Even ahead of the Lions tour in June, Deans is under serious pressure in Australia, not least from current Reds coach Ewen McKenzie, and it's understood his name has been floating around the European market for the last month.

Leinster's problem, however, is the uncertainty over Deans' future Down Under, and whether or not they will retain him through to the World Cup in 2015. As one of the leading provinces in Europe, Leinster feel they can't afford a vacuum developing after Schmidt moves over to Lansdowne Road, and ideally want a replacement on site when pre-season training starts on July 1.

During his appearance on The Late Late Show on Friday night, Schmidt said talks with the IRFU had been positive and confirmed he is keen to get the job, which he described as "one of the big jobs in rugby".

It is understood that Leinster have had an ongoing list of potential successors for some months, and that Deans was first sounded out by the IRFU in relation to the Performance Director's job which is part of the Plan Ireland strategy.

Gibbes has been part of the Leinster set-up since 2008, though it's unclear whether he has ambitions to be a head coach at this stage in his career. Earlier in the season, Gibbes, scrum coach Greg Feek and skills coach Richie Murphy all increased their responsibilities for a short period, with Schmidt stepping back, to see how it would work out. Before long Schmidt picked up where he had left off, micro-managing the operation.

Chris Boyd (54) is a long-time coach who is currently heading up the Wellington provincial side, the Lions, as well as the New Zealand under 20 side.

Leinster go to Zebre today looking for a bonus-point win to slot in behind Ulster in second place in the Pro12 table.

Ulster's win in Galway on Friday night keeps them in pole position going into the last round in a fortnight when they take on Cardiff in Ravenhill. Leinster will complete their programme of regulation games at the same time, Friday, May 3, at home to the Ospreys. Both Irish sides are through already to the semi-finals but home advantage is still up for grabs.

Irish Independent today

Anyone know when in the season this was? And did it correlate with our slow start to the season?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:51 am

I have no idea. It is really thinking outside the box, I am delighted that we do this kind of thing as it prepares us for strange outcomes like Schmidt to Ireland for example.

Serious kudos to whoever came up with that idea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:57 am

Yeah that's a good move alright. No clue when it happened but its quite innovative since Joe had another year on his contract anyway. Long term thinking...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:46 am

Deans would be a great guy for Leinster to get. Deans biggest criticism seems to be that he falls out with players who get too big for their boots. However, there is very little of that at Leinster so he would probably be able to do what he does best and get some nice backs play going. I think it would be a good signing for Leinster.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

His contract is up after the Lions tour isn’t it?

Wouldn’t give him much time for preseason, or the logistics of upping sticks and moving to the other side of the world.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:24 am

I came on just to mention that bit!

"Earlier in the season, Gibbes, scrum coach Greg Feek and skills coach Richie Murphy all increased their responsibilities for a short period, with Schmidt stepping back, to see how it would work out. Before long Schmidt picked up where he had left off, micro-managing the operation."

but Pete got there ahead of me

And like Golden, I was curious about how long that stint was and when it happened...and could you look back and spot the difference.

It shows how far out things were being talked about behind the scenes.... little experiments going on in the background gives both Leinster, Schmidt and indeed the IRFU more crafty and forward thinking credit than certainly the latter gets from public or media.

But also, it kinda gives more background to the bizarre shenanigans of Leinster through the season, and Joe's constant edginess when talking about being worried, about having a lot of work to do to drag a misfiring Leinster through a season that was due to be one of so much hope. An unspoken experiment going on in the background might explain some of the year.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:31 am

[quote="Mickado"]Yeah that's a good move alright. No clue when it happened but its quite innovative since Joe had another year on his contract anyway. Long term thinking...[/quote

Yeah I think it is an absolutely outstanding level of thought and clear democratic thinking. I have to say that I am hugely impressed by this update. I wonder do the other provinces do it or was it just a Leinster thing. Penny and Anscombe are both newer to the table so I'd say probably not yet for them.

I think Deans could be an excellent shout. Deans and Gibbes in tandem is a very nice prospect and could really turn a few heads come September 2013.

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm

Why are the IRFU going to have a director of rugby? What will this person be doing? From what I gather this director would be in charge of the coach in some way. Apart form that what would that person's role be?

If the only point in this person being there is to check what the coach is doing then it sounds to me like having two chefs. One to cook and the other to stare over his shoulder. Waste of money. One is enough. Just trust the guy and let him get on with it.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:29 pm

Intotouch wrote:Why are the IRFU going to have a director of rugby? What will this person be doing? From what I gather this director would be in charge of the coach in some way. Apart form that what would that person's role be?

If the only point in this person being there is to check what the coach is doing then it sounds to me like having two chefs. One to cook and the other to stare over his shoulder. Waste of money. One is enough. Just trust the guy and let him get on with it.

+1. I have a deep distaste of over-the-shoulder guys. A Director to look after admin and systems through the ranks - fine. Bring him in.

Keep his mouth shut, keep away from the Head Coach, keep away from the publicity shots in the stadiums, keepaway from doing some of the post-game interviews. Keep his head down and do the admin. The Head coach coaches.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:39 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Intotouch wrote:Why are the IRFU going to have a director of rugby? What will this person be doing? From what I gather this director would be in charge of the coach in some way. Apart form that what would that person's role be?

+1. I have a deep distaste of over-the-shoulder guys. A Director to look after admin and systems through the ranks - fine. Bring him in.

Keep his mouth shut, keep away from the Head Coach, keep away from the publicity shots in the stadiums, keepaway from doing some of the post-game interviews. Keep his head down and do the admin. The Head coach coaches.

+1

I do however think he should have a certain role in terms of actual rugby. He should link all the coaches together in a way, from the senior team coaches to the u20's, down to the coaches who coach coaches so that the senior team is actively developing the kind of players it wants from a very young age and focussing on skills that traditionally the team would be weak at or coaches would be bad at coaching.

I think this is a very important role.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:44 pm

SecretFly wrote:

+1

I do however think he should have a certain role in terms of actual rugby. He should link all the coaches together in a way, from the senior team coaches to the u20's, down to the coaches who coach coaches so that the senior team is actively developing the kind of players it wants from a very young age and focussing on skills that traditionally the team would be weak at or coaches would be bad at coaching.

Oh yeah, I agree a Director would be good to be a link man between Provincial coaching systems to...encourage... consistent systems throughout the Provinces. Not dogma, but perfecting the preparation of players through dialogue and cooperation with coaching teams from youth to Provinces to International. Yep, fully agree with that.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:12 pm

SecretFly wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

+1

Oh yeah, I agree a Director would be good to be a link man between Provincial coaching systems to...encourage... consistent systems throughout the Provinces. Not dogma, but perfecting the preparation of players through dialogue and cooperation with coaching teams from youth to Provinces to International. Yep, fully agree with that.

I was chatting to a coach a few months ago and he said that the IRFU had called thousands of lads (coaches) in for training days on the scrum. One of the main things of the day, like the thing that took up the majority of the time spent by these thousands of coaches was how the second rows linked with the front row. I mean physically. Like whether they grabbed the jersey, the shorts or held the leg.

They. Went. To. That. Much. Detail.

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:29 pm

Well when you see our options at tight head its no wonder they went back to square one

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:01 am

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/leinster-look-to-oconnor-29226678.html

Grey Tiger called this one further up the thread. Looks like a done deal. There have been rumours over his lack of a new deal with Tigers at one stage removing the three year deal on the table. Cockers was keen to retain him but he is unpopular with the fans and rumours suggest some of the players and members of the board.

His strength is certainly in coaching attacking continuity, his failure to develop home grown talent in the backs or really orchestrate big plays in big games made him unpopular with the fans.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 28 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

This lad and Gibbes???

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 28 Apr 2013, 1:19 pm

Could well be. Therec's rumpurs he doesnc't get on with the players and today rumours that itc's Murphy in particular he doescnc't get on with which would explain a number of things.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 28 Apr 2013, 1:28 pm

Leicester have been doing pretty ok this year

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 1:56 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Could well be. Therec's rumpurs he doesnc't get on with the players and today rumours that itc's Murphy in particular he doescnc't get on with which would explain a number of things.

Whistle You're not doing a very good job selling him to us, Sam Wink
He can help the backs but only at league level. At higer levels, in big games, he leaves them high and dry?
He doesn't get on with players?

I'm not so certain what Leinster would see in him...if that's the guy they're picking. Nervous would be the operative word for me.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:05 pm

Not only can we not attract the best players anymore but now this is the calibre of coach we attract? What are we doing wrong?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:09 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Not only can we not attract the best players anymore but now this is the calibre of coach we attract? What are we doing wrong?

Is this actually confirmed by Leinster?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:20 pm

Think Matt O'Connor would be a good choice tbh.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:27 pm

Notch wrote:Think Matt O'Connor would be a good choice tbh.

Is that directed at it being good for us or good for Ulster?? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:45 pm

Good for Leinster. Not that there is any difference in the quality the two sides require.

We tend to exaggerate our importance in the grand scheme of things. We don't get the big names in the provinces, never have- what we do do is get guys on the way up. O'Connor actually has a similar profile and reputation to Schmidt when he started at Leinster.

You want a coach of Joe Schmidts quality in 2013- universally respected and sought after in the test arena. But you got Schmidt when he was a talented coach without much experience and reputation. I remember well the legions of Leinster fans queueing up to say "Who the f*ck is this guy?" when you lost a few games to start with. In terms of the budget you have to spend and the candidates you have the ability to attract your best bet is to look for someone like Schmidt in 2010- technically solid and knowledgable, talented and hungry to make his name.

I think thats much smarter than going after a marquee coach who will demand much, much, much more money, treat the job as a chance to put his methods in the shop window rather than working with the players to develop a style that suits the team and drop you like yesterdays news the second a vacancy for a test side comes up.

Last edited by Notch on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next