The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the end thread

+4
InjuredYetAgain
Jenifer McLadyboy
LondonTiger
mrzimmerman
8 posters

Go down

This is the end thread Empty This is the end thread

Post by mrzimmerman Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:32 am

Thought I'd start a thread for those of us who's teams season has ended already. Out of all cups and no play off hopes. We're like that group of boys in a school disco who's got no one to dance with for the last song.

Anyway, I think we should share stories of our seasons, where it went wrong, key moments and also how we think our team can turn it around next season. I'll go first.

Ospreys.

The turning point for me was that crazy last quarter away to Leicester. We went from being competitive in the game to a complete whitewash. If we'd won or at least come out stopping Leicester getting a TBP and also getting a LBP then the season would've gone differently. Another key moment was losing Dirksen for most of the season. Our finishing has been poor and Dirksen is a born finisher. With no international commitments he would've been there throughout and could've helped secure the 4th try in a lot of matches. Ospreys clearly have a HC standard pack but at times our backline hasn't even looked to pro12 standard. Through injuries we've needed to play players out of position which hasn't helped mind. We've also needed to start with players that I personally considered to either not be ready or to be sub players at best.

Looking to the future one thing our backs now have is experience so I expect better next year. Walker and Dirksen fit would be great and Beck getting back to his creative best is a must. One sad fact for next season is that we'll be without KF at scrum half. Such a shame but could've been worse, we could've lost Biggar also. I don't expect/want any new recruits over the summer. I just think we need to be smarter with our back play and not be so one dimensional. One thing is for sure though, I expect a much stronger season in 13/14.

Over to you to either comment on my views or introduce your own. Remember this isn't an Ospreys thread. I'm looking forward to the summaries of others teams (wherever they are)

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

This is the end thread Empty Re: This is the end thread

Post by LondonTiger Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:04 am

That trip to Welford Rd was way back in October. A lot of things have gone right since Biggar threw the interception to Flood. Turning Toulouse over should have given you confidence but then you let us almost sneak a win at the Liberty when really you had battered us. Perhaps the defeat to Treviso in round 6 was the beginning of the end?

I have to say that (based purely on European games) strength in depth - especially in key positions - is an issue. Get the full team out and you can beat anyone, lose a few and the replacements are not quite good enough.

I will write our summary once the season is over - just to say that one consolation of us becoming a 3rd tier European side is we will not have to face you guys again. I have a lot of respect for Ospreys and slightly shocked with their position in the Rabo.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:06 am

Come on George. Treviso come over and beat the scarlets 8 0 in a slugfest. You beat Leinster 24 23 in a thriller at the RDS with 4 tries. One of which is scored in injury time and converted from the Touchline by Biggar for the win.

The end mebollix.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 am

On the other hand..........

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tIMCC_ziZ_o

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:12 am

LondonTiger wrote:That trip to Welford Rd was way back in October. A lot of things have gone right since Biggar threw the interception to Flood. Turning Toulouse over should have given you confidence but then you let us almost sneak a win at the Liberty when really you had battered us. Perhaps the defeat to Treviso in round 6 was the beginning of the end?

I have to say that (based purely on European games) strength in depth - especially in key positions - is an issue. Get the full team out and you can beat anyone, lose a few and the replacements are not quite good enough.

I will write our summary once the season is over - just to say that one consolation of us becoming a 3rd tier European side is we will not have to face you guys again. I have a lot of respect for Ospreys and slightly shocked with their position in the Rabo.
Leicester can't actually be 3rd tier next year. It is not possible for Stade and Biarritz to both qualify.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:27 am

Ah yes your right Jen, I had worked out a way that 2 from Perpignan, Biarritz and Stade could qualify, but I was wrong. We sneak into the second tier on a technicality.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:12 am

Down to money LT. Clermont and Toulon could be in the Top 14 AND HC finals. It has tanken a while for the money to rise to the top, but while it remains, Leinster will be joining Leicester as a "once proud club" who can still be more than the sum of their parts but cannot compete at the top end.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Down to money LT. Clermont and Toulon could be in the Top 14 AND HC finals. It has tanken a while for the money to rise to the top, but while it remains, Leinster will be joining Leicester as a "once proud club" who can still be more than the sum of their parts but cannot compete at the top end.
That's a bit downbeat, isn't it? Do Leinster not have the biggest budget in the Robocop? Ok, it may be significantly less than the French teams but any side that can outbid the Saffer nation's efforts to keep Kirchner at home can't be short of a penny or two

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by beardybrain Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:14 pm

The other point of view is that it's a natural changing of the guards? The French league is stronger at the moment, it had been Rabo/Irish teams, and before that the Premiership had been the strongest in Europe. It's just cyclical.

beardybrain

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:15 pm

We have a reasonable budget but have to get our signings past an IRFU committee.

Probably a smaller budget than say Saracens too.

Downbeat? Realistic more like. Doesn't mean we can't win the HC, just makes it a lot harder and less likely.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:27 pm

You trying sitting in Murrayfield freezing yer nuts off every second Friday and then you will realise that Leinster are actually quite fortunate and well off.
Out of interest, does all gate money for the 4 Irish sides go into a central pot to be divvied out by the IRFU or do you directly benefit from having big crowds?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:34 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:
Do Leinster not have the biggest budget in the Robocop? Ok, it may be significantly less than the French teams but any side that can outbid the Saffer nation's efforts to keep Kirchner at home can't be short of a penny or two

So how much do you suspect Kirchner will get then?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:32 am

Kirchner needs money for a decent haircut.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:59 am

InjuredYetAgain wrote:You trying sitting in Murrayfield freezing yer nuts off every second Friday and then you will realise that Leinster are actually quite fortunate and well off.
Out of interest, does all gate money for the 4 Irish sides go into a central pot to be divvied out by the IRFU or do you directly benefit from having big crowds?

Provinces get to generate thier own income and keep it, they keep the gate money, and make their own sponsorship and kit deals, and the merchandising is kept by the individuel province.

So the big crowds helps the individuel province, the 3 big Provinces are as good as most top teams, and Connacht have improved and I'll guess that they would have bigger crowds on average than the Italian and Scottish teams now, and maybe even Dragons which allows they to grow. They may be the 7th best supported team in the League now, and could push Blues next season?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down