The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zane Kirchner signs for Leinster

+27
SecretFly
MDB
profitius
Hound of Harrow
Feckless Rogue
asoreleftshoulder
Don Alfonso
thebluesmancometh
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Gibson
red_stag
Intotouch
debaters1
rodders
Artful_Dodger
Hookisms and Hyperbole
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
Biltong
fa0019
GunsGerms
Standulstermen
Jenifer McLadyboy
Golden
LondonTiger
Mickado
UlstermaninGlasgow
31 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Zane Kirchner signs for Leinster - Page 2 Empty Zane Kirchner signs for Leinster

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Currently being reported on twitter by multiple sources that Zane Kirchner of the Bulls has signed for Leinster. So that's the SA rumour that was kicking around. What do you think guys? A good enough replacement for the Iceman?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Zane Kirchner signs for Leinster - Page 2 Empty Re: Zane Kirchner signs for Leinster

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:12 am

rodders wrote:Stander would be my pick to captain Ireland in the next RWC. Cracking player.

Biltong will love that.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Zane Kirchner signs for Leinster - Page 2 Empty Re: Zane Kirchner signs for Leinster

Post by red_stag Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 am

GunsGerms wrote:
red_stag wrote:Regarding Kirchner it seems a bit of a panic purchase.

It does alright though I see no real reason for panic.

Possibly to do with Schmidt leaving? Having no coach or a new coach may be less of a "selling point" for Leinster.

Or maybe a new coach would be involved in decisions of potential new players. It could be July before a new coach is in place and therefore might be too late.

Just seems like a really panic decision.

When Leinster signed Nacewa in 2005 he was acknowledged by many in the SH to be a classy versatile utility back who would be capable of delivering on the very highest of stages (All Blacks Tests).

Kirchner is not all that respected in his own country. It appears that he is sort of versatile but in practice he isn't really and hasn't really taken advantage of a few chances on the international stage.

Sounds a bit like Stephen Donald or Paddy Wallace. However as Ulster fans will tell you guys of that level may be great options at provincial level. You never know how it will turn out.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:42 am

GunsGerms wrote:
rodders wrote:Leinster are way to reliant on Saffers if you ask me.

You wish. If Kirchner was signed by Ulster they would probably make him captain and stick him in at out half or something.

Don't forget those pre-game Prayer-Meetings now Germs. That's an Ulsstuuur pre-req for any Saffer signing.
Leinstuuur are fairly non-secular about that kinda ting. More inclusive. We don't care if you pray, spray, shaaag or eat dogs. We just want quality. Not sure about this geezer tho.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 am

red_stag wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
red_stag wrote:Regarding Kirchner it seems a bit of a panic purchase.

It does alright though I see no real reason for panic.

Possibly to do with Schmidt leaving? Having no coach or a new coach may be less of a "selling point" for Leinster.

Or maybe a new coach would be involved in decisions of potential new players. It could be July before a new coach is in place and therefore might be too late.

Just seems like a really panic decision.

When Leinster signed Nacewa in 2005 he was acknowledged by many in the SH to be a classy versatile utility back who would be capable of delivering on the very highest of stages (All Blacks Tests).

Kirchner is not all that respected in his own country. It appears that he is sort of versatile but in practice he isn't really and hasn't really taken advantage of a few chances on the international stage.

Sounds a bit like Stephen Donald or Paddy Wallace. However as Ulster fans will tell you guys of that level may be great options at provincial level. You never know how it will turn out.

Nacewa IMO had a slow enough start at Leinster. Mind you thats probably because Cheika played him at OH.

All will depend who the new coach is. Schmidt could still be here for another year or we may even get someone as good as Deans. No need to panic yet.

I wouldnt have signed Kirchner in a million years but there you go.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:51 am

Gibson wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

You wish. If Kirchner was signed by Ulster they would probably make him captain and stick him in at out half or something.

Don't forget those pre-game Prayer-Meetings now Germs. That's an Ulsstuuur pre-req for any Saffer signing.
Leinstuuur are fairly non-secular about that kinda ting. More inclusive. We don't care if you pray, spray, shaaag or eat dogs. We just want quality. Not sure about this geezer tho.

Thats true. Cant beat the Saffers for a good prayer. I follow Spies on twitter and he is constantly tweeting about God. Maybe thats why a lot of them struggle in Leinster. To many heathens here.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Gibson wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Thats true. Cant beat the Saffers for a good prayer. I follow Spies on twitter and he is constantly tweeting about God. Maybe thats why a lot of them struggle in Leinster. To many heathens here.
Havent't you heard, us Saffers are thugs and therefor have a lot more to say sorry about. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:57 am

That explains why Bakkies is so religious alright. I assume not all South Africans are as religious as him.

Justice for Bakkies!!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:58 am

No man, forgiveness for Bakkies.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:11 am

Unless we sign another player, Leinster's starting 15 will be all IQ.

Healy
Strauss
Ross
Cullen
McCarthy
SOB
Jenno
Heaslip
Redden
Madigan
Fitz
Darcy
BOD
Mcfadden
Kearney.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:14 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Unless we sign another player, Leinster's starting 15 will be all IQ.

Healy
Strauss
Ross
Cullen
McCarthy
SOB
Jenno
Heaslip
Redden
Madigan
Fitz
Darcy
BOD
Mcfadden
Kearney.

Proper order. Maybe thats why Kirchner was signed. Squad player with lots of experience. A bit like Gopperth. Mind you he is getting paid a lot.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:32 am

I am with Stag 100% on this. This looks like a panic buy we tried a few other guys and didn't get them and now it looks like we will need a coach within the next 2 and a bit months and thus we are just going for a guy quick.

I've never liked Kirchner, to me he always embodied what is wrong with the game, strong physical specimen who is about as creative as a potatoe.

Hopefully Joe (or the new coach) get to work on him and do a bit of a transformation job on the lad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:38 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
I've never liked Kirchner, to me he always embodied what is wrong with the game, strong physical specimen who is about as creative as a potatoe.

Geez Pete, you can do a lot with a potato.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:40 am

I think he is better than people are making him out to be. He's not a joke player, a decent test player overall... but thats about it.

There is no such thing as a regular springbok who is a bad player.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 am

Biltong wrote:

Ok then another bland and boring thing. It is harsh but he seems to lack creativity completely

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 am

fa0019 wrote:I think he is better than people are making him out to be. He's not a joke player, a decent test player overall... but thats about it.

I was on a SA forum earlier; The title of the thread was: "Good news for the Bulls?"

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:57 am

fa0019 wrote:I think he is better than people are making him out to be. He's not a joke player, a decent test player overall... but thats about it.

i'll raise you Wynand Olivier and Lawrence Sephaka
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 am

From a SA forum

I won’t miss him. Still beats me
that he played so many Tests and
Bulls games.
Talk about being very limited!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:05 am

Biltong wrote:

Agreed. Less cabbage more spuds is my motto.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:02 am

Ah but Rodders, raw cabbage is peppery & has crunch, its that stewed institutional stuff that gives it a bad name. Wink

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:11 am

Not sure why everyone is gassing on about creativity with regards to Kirtchner, he isn't creative, but he's positionally good, has decent hands and is a good finisher.

He hits lines hard and fast and is a very strong back 3 player, he's a SA international for a reason!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:39 am

Gibson wrote:Leinstuuur are fairly non-secular about that kinda ting.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you meant the precise opposite of what you actually wrote?

"Never quite as stupid as when you're being smart."

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:20 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Not sure why everyone is gassing on about creativity with regards to Kirtchner, he isn't creative, but he's positionally good, has decent hands and is a good finisher.

He hits lines hard and fast and is a very strong back 3 player, he's a SA international for a reason!!
The Bulls fans are celebrating for a reason!!! The title of one of the threads on a SA forum was "Good news for the Bulls?"

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:32 am

Ouch.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 am

Still, the point has been made above - I was gobsmacked (and not in a good way) when we learned we (Ulster) had signed Nick Williams.

I'd still put Wilson as our first choice no. 8, but Williams is fantastic to have as back-up. (Although he's also an impressive impact sub, which Kirchner wouldn't be.)

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Not sure why everyone is gassing on about creativity with regards to Kirtchner, he isn't creative, but he's positionally good, has decent hands and is a good finisher.

The Bulls fans are celebrating for a reason!!! The title of one of the threads on a SA forum was "Good news for the Bulls?"

Good for them, his form for them can be patchy but their style of play doesn't really lend itself to Kirtchner strengths. He wouldn't fit into every team, but then neither would Nacewa.

You have to look at the signing with an unobstructed view, he's an int quality back 3 player, will be available for large periods of the season, and is a proven linebreaker, strike runner, finisher!!! I think he'll fit in pretty well at Leinster!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 am

Give it 6 months and Biltong will be on wondering how we got him to play so well. Smile

I think he could turn out to be a good signing for us. As bluesman said, he is good enough to play 77 tests for the Bokke, and will be here all year. (Presuming we can get an early release for him and keep him out of the SA team)

I will come back and slag off the naysayers after round 4 of next year's HC

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:00 am

Blues, I think you are massively over stating his abilities. Established Springbok or not, he isn't THAT good and this is the important point; if he isn't as good as some of the other muted signings, then is it worth paying him what he costs and thus being obliged to play him, when you're letting academy guys go like Andrew Conway. Not the finished article but a damn sight cheaper to keep on board and with more potential too, as far as I am concerned. Leinster are losing 3 back three players (and poor Fitzy could be out for another lengthy period too) and drafting Kircher isn't enough cover or enough quality.

The three players being lost are Conway, Isa and Fionn Carr. Now Carr never clicked for Leinster to be fair but he is still a third player going through the door with only one coming in. And I don't care what anyone thinks, Kirchner is no replacement for Isa. Ever.

He has 77 caps for the Bulls and 24 for SA.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:01 am

I think Kirchener is more than good enough to make an impact at Leinster it's just that he's an out and out fullback as is Kearney.

I think you would have spent the money better on a top-class proven winger.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:07 am

debaters1 wrote:Blues, I think you are massively over stating his abilities. Established Springbok or not, he isn't THAT good and this is the important point; if he isn't as good as some of the other muted signings, then is it worth paying him what he costs and thus being obliged to play him, when you're letting academy guys go like Andrew Conway. Not the finished article but a damn sight cheaper to keep on board and with more potential too, as far as I am concerned. Leinster are losing 3 back three players (and poor Fitzy could be out for another lengthy period too) and drafting Kircher isn't enough cover or enough quality.

The three players being lost are Conway, Isa and Fionn Carr. Now Carr never clicked for Leinster to be fair but he is still a third player going through the door with only one coming in. And I don't care what anyone thinks, Kirchner is no replacement for Isa. Ever.

He has 77 caps for the Bulls and 24 for SA.

Jaysus that's 3 mistakes I've on here today Shocked

No one could replace Isa. Conway..... Perhaps you lads can prove that we made a mistake by letting him go, and perhaps we can make something out of ZK. Carr? Had all the chances, rarely delivered.

I think ZK has the pace to play on the wing. Leinster don't need star names so much as good players that will be available all season.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 am

I don't understand how Kirchener is going to suddenly become a good player by just playing with us. It's going to take ages to try break his kicking habits.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:11 am

Notch wrote:I think Kirchener is more than good enough to make an impact at Leinster it's just that he's an out and out fullback as is Kearney.

I think you would have spent the money better on a top-class proven winger.

Yeah I was hoping Kearney jnr. would be our fullback cover as I think he looks better there,he lacks the out and out pace to be a real top quality winger.We are really short on wingers right now with Luke Fitz being the only player on our books who I would say is a proven quality winger,McFadden and D Kearney are better in other positions imo while the young lads coming through are unproven.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:14 am

Oh I know Carr had his chances but he is still another winger not there, if you get me? Like i feel bad for the guy as he went East and played about a quarter of the matches he would have played missing out on HC Rugby with Connacht while he was at it too. Hopefully one of us will do Connacht a favour and secure a HC spot for Connacht next year too.

And yes, I hope we have Leinster regretting what they let go in Conway and that a backline with himself, Jones, Earls, Zebo & J.J. will be lighting it up next season (and going on to defend their European crown too! Wink )

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 am

Conway has looked quite good this year. More physical too. Think we might lament this one. You can keep Johne Murphy though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:17 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:I don't understand how Kirchener is going to suddenly become a good player by just playing with us. It's going to take ages to try break his kicking habits.
It's fine, you don't have to understand, just enjoy. Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:21 am

Is the argument here that Kirtchner costs more than COnway and Carr? Neither have cut it and are being let go, they weren't Rabo material, let alone HC.

Leinster have an issue, they are lacking quality wing options, Carr has gone, Isa gone, and players such as Dave and Mcfadden are temporary fixes...

Kirtchner remember will not just be there for the big games, he will play plenty of Rabo games too, that might prove invaluable when if the Kearneys and Fitzgerald are with Ireland, plus your not going to see Rob Kearney till mid December anyway!!

Kirtchner will cover wing and FB very well in the Rabo, and plenty good enough in HC games, and I can't imagine he is commanding a fortune!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:23 am

Digby ioane is leaving the reds at the end of the season, seems weird that there was no rumours about him seen as how all the other Aussies were linked. Would have thought he was the exact player Leinster need.

However I'm sure he could get a bigger offer from elsewhere

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:27 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Is the argument here that Kirtchner costs more than COnway and Carr? Neither have cut it and are being let go, they weren't Rabo material, let alone HC.

Leinster have an issue, they are lacking quality wing options, Carr has gone, Isa gone, and players such as Dave and Mcfadden are temporary fixes...

Kirtchner remember will not just be there for the big games, he will play plenty of Rabo games too, that might prove invaluable when if the Kearneys and Fitzgerald are with Ireland, plus your not going to see Rob Kearney till mid December anyway!!

Kirtchner will cover wing and FB very well in the Rabo, and plenty good enough in HC games, and I can't imagine he is commanding a fortune!!

Dont be daft, Conway is still quite young and talented. Carr has already proven he is Rabo material by being top Rabo try scorer a couple of years in a row with Connacht. Neither player could break into the Leinster side so they might as well leave.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:34 am

GunsGerms wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Is the argument here that Kirtchner costs more than COnway and Carr? Neither have cut it and are being let go, they weren't Rabo material, let alone HC.

Dont be daft, Conway is still quite young and talented. Carr has already proven he is Rabo material by being top Rabo try scorer a couple of years in a row with Connacht. Neither player could break into the Leinster side so they might as well leave.

Hence they weren't good enough! (which is what I meant, couldn't cut it at Leinster, not the Rabo)

I'd say right now Kirtchner is more valuable to Leinster than Rob Kearney, as in he'll have an uninterupted pre season (ish) and will actually play before mid december.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:36 am

When have you seen Zane play on the wing?

Also the Bulls tried for 5 months to keep Zane at the Bulls, so he must be getting a good wage to come here and to put a risk to his international career.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 am

Golden wrote:Digby ioane is leaving the reds at the end of the season, seems weird that there was no rumours about him seen as how all the other Aussies were linked. Would have thought he was the exact player Leinster need.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard

Balls. censored

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:40 am

Golden wrote:Digby ioane is leaving the reds at the end of the season, seems weird that there was no rumours about him seen as how all the other Aussies were linked. Would have thought he was the exact player Leinster need.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard

Balls. censored

I just hope it's not a case of Leinster not knowing he was going to be available.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:42 am

Pete. you are just going to have to accept that players like Digby are just out of our league. And when I say "Our" I mean every league bar France and Japan.

The odd player who prefers glory and a career to "just money" may be tempted, but we would still have to break the bank to get him. Seeing as we wouldn't give Jonny 450K, Diggers is out of the question.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 am

What's Digbys deal? Drugs? Sure we've none of that here. Sign him up.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:

When have you seen Zane play on the wing?

Also the Bulls tried for 5 months to keep Zane at the Bulls, so he must be getting a good wage to come here and to put a risk to his international career.

He's covered wing plenty, and Ive seen him cover 13 this season too if I'm not mistaken!

My point is Rob Kearney won't be available to play till mid december, Leinster are going to need all the back 3 players they can get! If the Bulls were trying to sign him for 5 months doesn't that speak volumes of what the Bulss coaching team think of him?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:48 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Pete. you are just going to have to accept that players like Digby are just out of our league. And when I say "Our" I mean every league bar France and Japan.

The odd player who prefers glory and a career to "just money" may be tempted, but we would still have to break the bank to get him. Seeing as we wouldn't give Jonny 450K, Diggers is out of the question.

I really hope we tried or will try. I would love him for us he is one of the best wingers in the world and has played 13 before. He is so classy.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:49 am

He isn't a good enough defender to play 13.
I don't ever remember seeing him play on the wing.

The Bulls want to keep him because he suites their kick-chas way of playing. But they have much better and younger 15s coming through, which is probably why he left and why the Bulls fans don't care.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:52 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:I don't understand how Kirchener is going to suddenly become a good player by just playing with us. It's going to take ages to try break his kicking habits.
kicking isn't his weakness, the fact that he doesn't pass is.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:56 am

Hey Biltong. Have you ever seen him on the wing? Is he any better there?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:58 am

Biltong wrote:
kicking isn't his weakness, the fact that he doesn't pass is.

+1

LF4L, I was talking about Digby. he is the lad I would have wanted he suits us more

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:01 am

I think every Leinster fan would agree with that Pete. If only we had a sugar Daddy to pay for his wages.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next