The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan - Oops!

+9
Daz
The Galveston Giant
Adam D
AdZacO
BALTIMORA
azania
D4thincarnation
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Union Cane
13 posters

Go down

Amir Khan - Oops! Empty Amir Khan - Oops!

Post by Union Cane Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Given recent events in Abbotabad and the ensuing American backlash against all things Pakistani, has Amir Khan made a mistake in alienating the British public and flouncing off across the Atlantic to further his career? Will American distrust of Pakistan count against him?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan - Oops! Empty Re: Amir Khan - Oops!

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Hope not that would be very naive of people. It's a possibility though. Although I do think it won't bother the boxing public in America just a small minded minority.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Union Cane wrote:Given recent events in Abbotabad and the ensuing American backlash against all things Pakistani, has Amir Khan made a mistake in alienating the British public and flouncing off across the Atlantic to further his career? Will American distrust of Pakistan count against him?

Americans on the whole are less petty, they watch boxing for boxing sake and not for any other agenda.

As long as Khan keep putting in exciting performances and winning he will be a big success in the states.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu May 05, 2011 9:41 pm

And why hasn't Bradley signed to fight him as yet.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Khan is British not Pakistani.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu May 05, 2011 9:52 pm

azania wrote:Khan is British not Pakistani.

True, but in the eyes of some he's not far enough removed from it.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu May 05, 2011 9:55 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:And why hasn't Bradley signed to fight him as yet.

It's due to his contract with HBO makes more financial sense for Bradley to have an easier fight with a lesser name because he is guaranteed $1.3m. He will earn close to that if not more from the Khan fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu May 05, 2011 9:56 pm

azania wrote:Khan is British not Pakistani.

He is of Pakistani descent though Az which some naive people will use against him no doubt.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu May 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Union Cane wrote:Given recent events in Abbotabad and the ensuing American backlash against all things Pakistani, has Amir Khan made a mistake in alienating the British public and flouncing off across the Atlantic to further his career? Will American distrust of Pakistan count against him?

Maybe a few idiots in the south, but hardly enough to jepordise his career, or make him earn any less.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Post 7/7, Khan came to the ring draped in the Union Jack and spoke about the need for us to move past the atrocities and work towards some semblence of racial and cultural harmony (I'm being kind to the lad as he was less articulate that that but I believe his sentiments echo my own).

At no stage, despite some of his more unpopular antics/actions/outbursts, can Amir khan be seen as supportive of any form of Muslim radicalism and anyone seeking to suggest otherwise will do nothing more than make themselves look utterly ridiculous and, should any member of the boxing press suggest it, it will achieve nothing other than to damage Khan's career

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu May 05, 2011 11:56 pm

Don't think if their was to be an issue it would be from within boxing circles including proper boxing fans. Think it would come from a minority although I don't see it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu May 05, 2011 11:57 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Post 7/7, Khan came to the ring draped in the Union Jack and spoke about the need for us to move past the atrocities and work towards some semblence of racial and cultural harmony (I'm being kind to the lad as he was less articulate that that but I believe his sentiments echo my own).

At no stage, despite some of his more unpopular antics/actions/outbursts, can Amir khan be seen as supportive of any form of Muslim radicalism and anyone seeking to suggest otherwise will do nothing more than make themselves look utterly ridiculous and, should any member of the boxing press suggest it, it will achieve nothing other than to damage Khan's career

100% agree with your post, however.......Americans wont know or care about that.

But then again, many Americans are racist towards their own president, so what can you expect!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu May 05, 2011 11:59 pm

I remember him after 7/7, it was quite a lot to take on at that age i imagine, not really nothing to do with him but the press were right in his face.

At the present i don't thnk his career in America will be affected at all. However if anything else serious was to happen, especially on American soil, it could affect his career. I can't see either happening though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 am

Hobo wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Post 7/7, Khan came to the ring draped in the Union Jack and spoke about the need for us to move past the atrocities and work towards some semblence of racial and cultural harmony (I'm being kind to the lad as he was less articulate that that but I believe his sentiments echo my own).

100% agree with your post, however.......Americans wont know or care about that.

But then again, many Americans are racist towards their own president, so what can you expect!
Many Americans don't feel the need to burden themselves with the full facts of a case in order to jump to a conclusion....they're like Daily Mail readers in that respect.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 06, 2011 12:03 am

Naz used to enter the ring with an islamic call to prayer and sometimes he recited parts of the koran directly to the cameras. After 911 I doubt if he would have been allowed to do that especially in USA.

As for Khan, I dont see what the issue. Only a tool would link him with OBL and Pakistan compliance or not. Then again, this is america. They couldn't point out Pakistan or UK on the map even if those 2 countries were the only ones highlighted. Whistle

Shortly after 7/7, Khan entered the ring with huge cheers. I believe he was making his pro debut.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri May 06, 2011 12:04 am

So thats Union then? I remember on 606 when you used to post articles like this Union.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 am

I can't see where I have suggested anything of the sort.

"Will American distrust of Pakistan count against him?" is a perfectly reasonable question.

I hope you aren't suggesting anything about me there Daz.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri May 06, 2011 12:15 am

Did you see the sceptics chanting outside the white house when the news broke? Village.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri May 06, 2011 12:20 am

Union Cane wrote:I can't see where I have suggested anything of the sort.

"Will American distrust of Pakistan count against him?" is a perfectly reasonable question.

I hope you aren't suggesting anything about me there Daz.

Not at all Union. Just saying you like to create pointless articles like this. Your quote above is not a perfectably reasonable question - it is completely irrelevant.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri May 06, 2011 12:21 am

I tend to think this is a relevant question. The American public can be quite fickle look at some of the racism directed towards their own president.

Khan is a muslim and of Pakistani descent. Would like to think nothing like this will happen but it's a possibility.

Last edited by prettyboykev on Fri May 06, 2011 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri May 06, 2011 12:22 am

Dazstarr wrote:Not at all Union. Just saying you like to create pointless articles like this. Your quote above is not a perfectably reasonable question - it is completely irrelevant.

...in your opinion, which I consider to be (guess what? yep, you got it...) completely irrelevant.

You're right though, that's why nobody has commented.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri May 06, 2011 12:25 am

Fair enough - you are entitled to your opinion as am I.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 12:26 am

Dazstarr wrote:Fair enough - you are entitled to your opinion as am I.

Freedom of Speech doesn't always go as planned though does it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri May 06, 2011 12:27 am

Dazstarr wrote:Fair enough - you are entitled to your opinion as am I.

I never implied that you weren't, mate.

thumbsup
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri May 06, 2011 12:28 am

Can't see how it's not a relevant question.

Khan although a Brit in my eyes, is after all of pakistani descent and has chosen to concentrate on his career in the States.

Pakistan is about as popular as cat sick in a crash helmet with the States at the moment. So it's not beyond the realms of belief that some of the more boneheaded fans would boo him.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri May 06, 2011 12:31 am

Maybe because I'm not American i dont find it relevant!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 12:31 am

I thought it was strange to see the youth of America "celebrating in the streets despite the fact that many of them appeared so young, they couldn't have been more than 9 yrs old when the Twin Towers came down.

At that age, most of them would have been more interested Britney Spears than international Terrorism back then, wouldn't they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri May 06, 2011 12:39 am

Dazstarr wrote:Maybe because I'm not American i dont find it relevant!
Well, each to their own. (Disclaimer - Badgerhands is not American)

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri May 06, 2011 12:42 am

DAVE667 wrote:I thought it was strange to see the youth of America "celebrating in the streets despite the fact that many of them appeared so young, they couldn't have been more than 9 yrs old when the Twin Towers came down.

At that age, most of them would have been more interested Britney Spears than international Terrorism back then, wouldn't they?

Was it not a public holiday in the States the next day? A lot of the people in the streets looked like they had just come out of the pub tbh.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri May 06, 2011 12:47 am

prettyboykev wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:I thought it was strange to see the youth of America "celebrating in the streets despite the fact that many of them appeared so young, they couldn't have been more than 9 yrs old when the Twin Towers came down.

Was it not a public holiday in the States the next day? A lot of the people in the streets looked like they had just come out of the pub tbh.

Think it was the labour day holiday.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 am

If they'd timed it right (like the Royal Wedding) they could have had FOUR DAYS off work. They just don't think these things through

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri May 06, 2011 1:08 am

Will we get extra days off when the Queen finally passes away?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 am

Pretty sure, we'll definately get one for the coronation of Charles or William though!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 1:14 am

Union Cane wrote:Will we get extra days off when the Queen finally passes away?

If we live that long...she's immortal that women (at least Charles thinks so) 85 years old and still going to work (if you can counting shaking hands and opening buildings as work)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri May 06, 2011 1:37 am

people won't care ifhe keeps winning- lewis fought for canada in the olympics even though he was from britan and they didn't care- and when he fought as british champion nobody cared that he was dual nationality, he was considered british. i just think people will support boxing ability reguardless.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down