The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan

+47
eirebilly
trottb
Knowsit17
Nico the gman
Rowley
JDandfries
Super D Boon
supremeskills
Captain Lucas
Strongback
OasisBFC
oxring
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
The genius of PBF
milkyboy
fearlessBamber
Waingro
PPVxHOTTY
monzon
JabMachine
Geb85
Boxtthis
jbeadlesbigrighthand
The Galveston Giant
jammin
BallchinianMuffwig
paperbag_puncher
Herman Jaeger
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
Jon El
Imperial Ghosty
horizontalhero
Steffan
lovely_london
superflyweight
Valero's Conscience
bhb001
manos de piedra
Bob
ShahenshahG
sodhat
88Chris05
Scottrf
ONETWOFOREVER
huw
azania
51 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Amir Khan Empty Amir Khan

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 2:53 pm

Why are so many hating on him? He wants to fight Floyd. Good for him. Yet some criticise him for that. He beat Maidana. Many criticise him for not standing toe to toe. He says he wants to fight the best. He's called arrogant.

When Hatton said the sme thing he became a british institution and hero or the masses.

Why the double standards? Has Khan got a point when he claims its his ethnicity that many of his detractors have issues with?

azania

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan Empty Re: Amir Khan

Post by huw Wed 07 Dec 2011, 2:58 pm

azania wrote:Why are so many hating on him? He wants to fight Floyd. Good for him. Yet some criticise him for that. He beat Maidana. Many criticise him for not standing toe to toe. He says he wants to fight the best. He's called arrogant.

When Hatton said the sme thing he became a british institution and hero or the masses.

Why the double standards? Has Khan got a point when he claims its his ethnicity that many of his detractors have issues with?

I personally think he has a point but then that is because I think he seems like a decent lad who is trying to be the best, obviously others see him so differently to me that I can't understand their reasoning.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:01 pm

He is not as good as people have been fooled into believing.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:He is not as good as people have been fooled into believing.

So? Why the hate on him? He's actively seeking the best in his division. Give him his dues and proper credit.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:He is not as good as people have been fooled into believing.
Yeah and he'll have his china chin cracked in his next fight etc.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

So?

That's not really his fault, he's just trying to be the best he can be.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:05 pm

I think there should be a new rule, before anyone types anything on Amir Khan they have to sing:

He's the best, Amir
Nothings gonna ever keep him down

(to the tune of the song on Karate Kid)

Then I'm sure they will change their mind and only write nice things.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:08 pm

Have never had any problem with Khan for wanting to fight the best, far from it. In fact, like any reasonable boxing fan, I applaud him for it wholeheartedly.

My problem - more so in the past than now - has been his foot in mouth statements, such as "no other twenty-two year old in boxing history has done what I've done", or his needless bad-mouthing of fellow British fighters with whom he's never going to collide in the ring, and so who should be of no consequence to him.

Has cooled that kind of talk over the last eigheen months, which is good. Still bugged me how he had the front to magically reverse his opinion that Marquez had clearly beaten Pacquiao once he'd had the private ticking off from Manny and Roach, mind you!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:09 pm

The guy has been wrapped up in cotton wool all his career. His handlers have been very careful with him as he is fragile. He has the ability but not the fighting spirit that's why he is at odds with himself every time an opponent gets inside.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

huw wrote:I think there should be a new rule, before anyone types anything on Amir Khan they have to sing:

He's the best, Amir
Nothings gonna ever keep him down

(to the tune of the song on Karate Kid)

Then I'm sure they will change their mind and only write nice things.

Or they'll get fired from their job for breaching the peace to sing about Amir. Great song though.

I don't understand the detractors really, from a nation of people that are generally quite 'behind' their own fighters. It is to his credit that he isn't shirking challenges and his fights are generally exciting affairs (barring McCloskey...)

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

Poor kid put in as a representative of multicultarism - the majority of the fans are fine - some resent him a little and the rest are too stupid to see that the guy has been put in a position of which he has little understanding. The british are a people who don't like to be told what to think or do so he gets resented a little bit. Most people either realise that he isnt at fault and give him his dues - good or bad and the rest arent worth the bother.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:13 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Poor kid put in as a representative of multicultarism - the majority of the fans are fine - some resent him a little and the rest are too stupid to see that the guy has been put in a position of which he has little understanding. The british are a people who don't like to be told what to think or do so he gets resented a little bit. Most people either realise that he isnt at fault and give him his dues - good or bad and the rest arent worth the bother.

Then why does 70% of the country let the Sun do just that.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:15 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Poor kid put in as a representative of multicultarism - the majority of the fans are fine - some resent him a little and the rest are too stupid to see that the guy has been put in a position of which he has little understanding. The british are a people who don't like to be told what to think or do so he gets resented a little bit. Most people either realise that he isnt at fault and give him his dues - good or bad and the rest arent worth the bother.
Don't we? warning

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:17 pm

huw wrote:

Because whilst they don't like being told what to do, they're also too stupid or lazy to figure stuff out for themselves?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:19 pm

To be honest - i've yet to meet anyone who doesn't look at page 3 then move onto the sports section of the sun / their puzzle section then lob it without reading the rest.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:22 pm

Whereas I've yet to meet a Sun reader who can actually read the damn thing without moving their lips. Course, they're still intellectually superior to anyone reading The Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:26 pm

huw wrote:

But the sun uses brilliantly subversive language to nefariously control the masses.

Either that or they just stare at the jubblies on page 3.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:26 pm

I have no problem with him but he is prone to making the odd gaffe in what he comes out with sometimes which may account for some of the dislike.

Also, he always talking about fighting the big names he oofered fighter x this, he offered fighter y that, he would love to fight fighter z. Well go and do it then. The big names around him are Bradley, Pacquiao, Mayweather possibly Marquez after his last showing and I would also like to see him in with Ortiz or Maidana again which would good match ups I think.

Instead I get the impression hes opting for credible but not really dangerous opponents most of the time. Guys like Malignaggi, Peterson, Kotelnik and Judah (ignore Salita ad McCloskey) - guys that are ranked and solid competition but carry a limited threat to him stylistically and are kind of suited to him. Maidana was the exception but he couldnt put that off any longer and the nature of the fight still leaves doubts for me. I think he can look great against certain styles and fighters but is still pretty vulnerable against others. If he beat Maidana in a rematch decisiely I would change my views perhaps.

Think hes also getting a rep as a guy thats difficult to do business with in part due to his family taking a large hand in things.

Hopefully he can push on and get some more exciting fights after Peterson, who I think is a credible contender but somewhat unispiring and already beaten by is main divisional rival in Bradley.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:31 pm

Also I think comparisons with Hatton are a little bit off because Hatton was immensely popular and kind of an exception. If every British fightes popularity was benchmarked against Hatton then not too many would popular by comparison.

I think there are people that dislike Khan for a one of potentially a few reasons but in general I dont think its significantly more than many other big name fighters. I would refer to Pacquiao on this particular board as an example. He can do no right with some people on here.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:37 pm

Khan is also hampered by the fact that his three main rivals are Mayweather, Manny and Bradley (I suppose you can now throw Marquez into the mix as well)....none of whom are really interested in taking on a guy like Amir. Khan still doesn't bring in the megabucks (then again neither does Bradley so where's the incentive to fight?) and will struggle to get a shot against the big boys as a result.

Course, Amir's main problem is that all British people are really racist (especially those who say they aren't) and their bitterness and jealousy blinds them to Khan's obvious world class credentials!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:40 pm

I would suggest that until Hatton fought Floyd, Khan's level of competition has been on par with him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:41 pm

Good heavens Dave. That is one serious accusation.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:42 pm

azania wrote:Good heavens Dave. That is one serious accusation.
As serious as you PMing me that Benn engaged in cannibalism in the army?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:42 pm

I'm warming to Amir Khan as he fights more world class opponents and good luck to him this weekend. The difference for me in him and Hatton is that Hatton talked about wanting the fight and took it. Khan I believe will still be talking about the fight in two years time, Floyd will retire and, in Khan's memoirs, he will say that Floyd ducked him. I'm just a cynic in that way!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

Scottrf wrote:
azania wrote:Good heavens Dave. That is one serious accusation.
As serious as you PMing me that Benn engaged in cannibalism in the army?

laughing
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:46 pm

azania wrote:I would suggest that until Hatton fought Floyd, Khan's level of competition has been on par with him.

It probably was, but I think Khans amateur background has led to higher expectations in general. Certainly Khan is a million miles ahead in terms of where they were at respective ages.

But again, Hatton was something of an exception popularity wise as he was able to transcend into fans of other sports who maybe werent as knowledgeable about boxing and were happy to believe Hatton was knocking out all time greats and would smash Mayweather up. Amongst the more serious boxing fans he always had his critics who recognised his marketing strategy and chastised him for not taking on guys like Cotto and Witter at LWW instead of the the Maussas and Urangos.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:47 pm

Hatton brought money to the table. So the best were willing to fight him. Khan brings not as much money and is a more dangerous proposition imo. Business wise, its not a good deal.

Bradley brings flies and not much else. By Khan saying he'll fight Floyd in a year that's an acknowledgement that he's not ready for that calibre of opponent yet. I thought people loved humble boxers.

And Benn did eat the testicles of dead squaddies. I have it on record. He also cut off the humps of camels to drink the water stored in there. Trust me on that. First hand accounts.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:48 pm

azania wrote:Bradley brings flies and not much else.
Bit racist?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

Why? Is it coz they is blue-bottles?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:51 pm

Az, always thought camels stored fat in their humps not water. Oh well....

Anyway, Benn may have eaten out a few females during his time in the army but that's hardly cannibalism, is it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:58 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Have never had any problem with Khan for wanting to fight the best, far from it. In fact, like any reasonable boxing fan, I applaud him for it wholeheartedly.

My problem - more so in the past than now - has been his foot in mouth statements, such as "no other twenty-two year old in boxing history has done what I've done", or his needless bad-mouthing of fellow British fighters with whom he's never going to collide in the ring, and so who should be of no consequence to him.

Has cooled that kind of talk over the last eigheen months, which is good. Still bugged me how he had the front to magically reverse his opinion that Marquez had clearly beaten Pacquiao once he'd had the private ticking off from Manny and Roach, mind you!

I agree entirely, talent wise he's very good and Britain should be very proud of what he has done and what he's likely to do BUT he does spout some verbal diarrhoea more than just occasionally.

I think a big factor of the hate against him is that he's of Pakistani decent and a Muslim. Most who follow boxing more closely agree he's a big talent but runs his mouth too much which is why many wouldn't be too fussed if he's knocked out again!

Re: the Marquez reversal, that was a stereotypical Khan moment, say one thing and when put under pressure, back track! Run

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:58 pm

He also cut off the humps of camels to drink the water stored in there. Trust me on that. First hand accounts.

From the camels?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 4:00 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Az, always thought camels stored fat in their humps not water. Oh well....

Anyway, Benn may have eaten out a few females during his time in the army but that's hardly cannibalism, is it?

Yeah, Benn thought they were water tanks and the Oz camels were very angry because they got the hump twice.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:24 pm

people hate khan cos he is overrated. His whole career he has either thought bums or past it fighters. Khan has never been in a fight where he was the underdog. Says everything about the fighters he fights.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:25 pm

lovely_london wrote:people hate khan cos he is overrated. His whole career he has either thought bums or past it fighters. Khan has never been in a fight where he was the underdog. Says everything about Khan.
Fixed.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:26 pm

lovely_london wrote:people hate khan cos he is overrated. His whole career he has either thought bums or past it fighters. Khan has never been in a fight where he was the underdog. Says everything about the fighters he fights.

An extreme example, but when has floyd been in a fight where he was the underdog? You say he's bene protected, but who should he have fought and when?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:32 pm

azania wrote:
lovely_london wrote:people hate khan cos he is overrated. His whole career he has either thought bums or past it fighters. Khan has never been in a fight where he was the underdog. Says everything about the fighters he fights.

An extreme example, but when has floyd been in a fight where he was the underdog? You say he's bene protected, but who should he have fought and when?

I can't comment on mayweathers career as I don't know about the odds but everytime i see a khan fight on tv the betting shops have it as one sided as a klitschko fight. There is no point putting any money on khan as he is such a huge favourite in all of his fights.

Difference with mayweather is that he is a favourite cos he is so good. Khan is a favourite cos his opponents are average.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:34 pm

lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:

I can't comment on mayweathers career as I don't know about the odds but everytime i see a khan fight on tv the betting shops have it as one sided as a klitschko fight. There is no point putting any money on khan as he is such a huge favourite in all of his fights.

Difference with mayweather is that he is a favourite cos he is so good. Khan is a favourite cos his opponents are average.
Nope, he's a favourite because he's so good.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:37 pm

lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:

So who should he be fighting?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:39 pm

Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:

his toughest opponent has been maidana who is really average

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:40 pm

lovely_london wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:

31-2 is a good record for an average boxer.

Lets not forget, this was the average boxer that people were saying Khan would avoid because he'd crack Khan's glass chin.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:47 pm

Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:

Lets not forget, this was the average boxer that people were saying Khan would avoid because he'd crack Khan's glass chin.

i respect khan for calling out mayweather but please don't suggest that the reason he is disliked is cos he has brown skin or is a muslim or is from pakistan. He is disliked because many people share the same view as me that he fights bums but still tries to charge us 15 pounds to watch him knock out a B level fighter.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:49 pm

I think he is trying to be Azania without the mercurial wit, vast knowledge and lacking the courage of his (usually wrong) Convictions. Azania = Kerry Katona + Wikipedia - he's breeding em faster than we can kill em.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:49 pm

I wouldnt exactly call Maidana or Judah bums

Khan has gone to America to fight the best

Agree with the article I dunno why people hate on him so much

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:51 pm

lovely_london wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:

i respect khan for calling out mayweather but please don't suggest that the reason he is disliked is cos he has brown skin or is a muslim or is from pakistan. He is disliked because many people share the same view as me that he fights bums but still tries to charge us 15 pounds to watch him knock out a B level fighter.
I didn't.

He next fight is on Sky Sports and is against a decent, ranked opponent. Enjoy thumbsup

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:56 pm

Kell Brook annoys me more. He has clearly got talent and insists on calling out Manny and Floyd yet after 7 years of being a pro is still fighting people below world level yet no one seems to hate on him

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:57 pm

Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
lovely_london wrote:
azania wrote:

I didn't.

He next fight is on Sky Sports and is against a decent, ranked opponent. Enjoy thumbsup

Not what Khan wants tho. As he said before whoever he fights should be on ppv cos he is a ppv fighter lol. Who in their right mind would pay for khan v McCloskey? The guy went on to fight prescott who is a C level fighter ahhaha

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:00 pm

Think thats the point steffan - Khan is actually going places so the "Haters" focus on him rather than Brook. Genuine contructive criticism tends to get shunted into the background when people like lovely london come along.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:04 pm

lovely_london, you say he has been fighting bums. So who should he be fighting in his weight class.

Please answer. Who has he avoided?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:06 pm

lovely_london wrote:Not what Khan wants tho. As he said before whoever he fights should be on ppv cos he is a ppv fighter lol. Who in their right mind would pay for khan v McCloskey? The guy went on to fight prescott who is a C level fighter ahhaha
You're going to have to up your knowledge level to hold my attention thumbsup

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next